Page 1 of 2
LastLast

WoW says alot about your character...

Maybe it's just me but I feel like Blizzard could implement a random quest where the quest giver is like...

Quest Giver: I want you to kill 30 Murlocs because I F#$%in hate Murlocs we're gonna murder all the Murloc's until not a damn one is left SIEG HEIL!!!

Average WoW players Reaction: (Scrolls to bottom of quest) Awesome This quest gives me a blue, X amount of exp and some gold!!!!

Am I the only one who feels like a large majority of the player base just randomly follows orders for the promise of a prize?

Personally that's all I do. Why would I read quests? Quests only serve as a way to level up as fast as possible, reading them just slows that down.

Quote Originally Posted by Geminiel View Post
    Maybe it's just me but I feel like Blizzard could implement a random quest where the quest giver is like...

Quest Giver: I want you to kill 30 Murlocs because I F#$%in hate Murlocs we're gonna murder all the Murloc's until not a damn one is left SIEG HEIL!!!

Average WoW players Reaction: (Scrolls to bottom of quest) Awesome This quest gives me a blue, X amount of exp and some gold!!!!

Am I the only one who feels like a large majority of the player base just randomly follows orders for the promise of a prize?
    Yes, you are the only one... /sigh /facepalm

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account

Heh loled a bit
    OT: Yeah most ppl dont read quests and just goes for the rep/other rewards.

What are we supposed to do? Stage an active protest? Start picketing the quest giver's yard with pun-filled, slogan-bearing signs?

Go the Murlocs and offer them to pay us more or we'll kill them?

That would be pretty fun, come to think of it...

Yep, even if a quest is like "ROAR ROAR SLAY EVERY WOMAN AND CHILD ON THAT VILLAGE!!11", ppl just run around killing stuff, for the promise of a bag of shinies.

I actually take the time reading every quest (at least the first time i do them), but to be honest, even if it's the most morbid quest objective, hey, it still gives out XP\gold\shinies!

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not only do I not read them but I also don't look at them. I just use AutoTurnIn to accept and turn in and accept quests almost instantly. It saves a lot of time

http://wow.curseforge.com/addons/autoturnin/

So, what's your point? That you refuse to do quests because you don't want anyone to tell you what to do? Way cool, dude.

Quote Originally Posted by bionics View Post
    What are we supposed to do? Stage an active protest? Start picketing the quest giver's yard with pun-filled, slogan-bearing signs?

Go the Murlocs and offer them to pay us more or we'll kill them?

That would be pretty fun, come to think of it...
    I agree we should find a way to overthrow our Quest Giving Suppressors and garnish a greater profit from it!

Quote Originally Posted by thedingleberry View Post
    Yes, you are the only one... /sigh /facepalm
    Thank you for contributing to the thread, would you wish me to grant you a steed, a tiger, perhaps an exotic fish for your exquisite contribution.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I the only one who feels like a large majority of the player base just randomly follows orders for the promise of a prize?
    Slaughter is the whole point of WoW. Killing things to get things.
    90% of all problems on Azeroth are solved with the proper application of death
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

10+ Year Old Account
    I read quests the first time through. I DO like game immersion. It's kinda part of the whole game; if you're just there to click buttons and get rewards, I'd imagine this game is extremely boring to you. But after the first time, when I know the story and all that, it's just a 'click accept' and off I go. Hell, I have an addon that auto-accepts quests just so I don't even have to click on accept. Turns'em in, too. But again, I do everything the right way the first time, then it's off to automation mode for every character after.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    So, what's your point? That you refuse to do quests because you don't want anyone to tell you what to do? Way cool, dude.
    Quest Giver: I want you to slay JimmyHellfire and retrieve for me his head, his antics have proven bothersome for me, need I more of an explanation?

Geminiel: Dude this quest gives me an Ethereal Dragonkin mount I'm in!

10+ Year Old Account
    This is what we call distinction of IC and OOC.

I've beaten the Kiljaeden, Illidan, Arthas, Kaelthas, Deathwing, Chogall... on most of my characters. Have most of my character's IC'ly done that? No.

Just the same, if there's a quest my character's don't agree with, or haven't even been there, that doesn't reflect on them.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

That is because 90% of WOW's quests are given to you as orders. You are literally told to go go kill 30 murlocs. It feels like a chore rather than a quest.
    I had scrolling text on for quest dialogs until level 60, because I was used to reading the quest dialogs like I did in diablo 1 and 2, where the entire dialog is voiced and scrolls on the screen.

I switched to non scrolling text after it became apparent the quests I was being given weren't so much quests as I knew them from years of pen and paper/computerised Dungeons and Dragons style quests as they were menial chores I was asked to perform.

I was used to a world where the initial NPC blurb about the quest was all you got.

"Hey [insert adventurer's name here], I heard about you and how you saved Oakvale from those gnolls, we could use a man/woman like you! Those damned ogres over the next vale keep raiding our supply routes and stealing all our food, we would be ever greatful if you could do something about them, oh and if you manage to get ahold of any of our supplies that would be great."

And that was all the info you got, but in WOW you get the above, but at the end is tacted on one last note.

Ogres slain x/10
    Supplies returned x20

But then again, I also come from games where at this point your character would then be able to say to the NPC, 10 ogres for 30 gold? Pfft, 100 gold and you got a deal. Or offer to do the quest free of charge.

I had no problems donning my ashtongue deathsworn costume when I killed al'ar, or when I had to grind trash in Upper Blackrock Spire for dragon eyes to make a disguise, heck even the 5 minute CD on placing the unadorned seal on the ground and the 2 hour CD on emberstryfe's fire breath attack was fine, actually it was more than just fine, it was great (sucked if you missed the seal and had to wait 2 hours), mostly because it was something other than go here kill X amount of this or collect X amount of that. 90% of WOW's quests are the same thing over and over. Would be nice to get some more variety in the quests every now and again instead of the same kill and collect quests we always get.

I want to infiltrate organisations, liberate besieged keeps, depose the heads of forgotten cults! WOW is a medieval fantasy game, so why do we so rarely get to delve into what makes that genre so awesome? Where is pitting two theif or mage guild against each other, where is paying off a fence or beating the information I need out of him in regards to a rare gem or the kidnapping of a maigstrate's daughter, nah, in WOW i get send to kill 10 mobs every 5 minutes.
    Last edited by Cernunnos; 2013-05-11 at 06:00 AM.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

I feel OP has a point. Some of the Horde quests in particular make you do horrific acts of mutilation to your enemies such as cutting off ears off of enemies killed, poisoning prisoners, to murdering villagers in an Alliance costume and then going back to them telling them the Horde will protect them.

Truly quests that make you feel like a dirtbag.
    If a human did any of these things in real life they would deserve the chair.

It is a sad commentary of humanity worthy of a psychological study.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wasn't there a study done where it was revealed that Warcraft/MMO players had a higher chance of actually doing the right thing in a bad situation versus others?

Quote Originally Posted by Lastlivingsoul View Post
    I feel OP has a point. Some of the Horde quests in particular make you do horrific acts of mutilation to your enemies such as cutting off ears off of enemies killed, poisoning prisoners, to murdering villagers in an Alliance costume and then going back to them telling them the Horde will protect them.

Truly quests that make you feel like a dirtbag.
    If a human did any of these things in real life they would deserve the chair.

I never really believed in the philosophy that every man has his price, sometimes the cost of said price is much more then it is worth.

Nice information.Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Uennie View Post
    Wasn't there a study done where it was revealed that Warcraft/MMO players had a higher chance of actually doing the right thing in a bad situation versus others?
    Maybe there was but it really makes me feel that the Trolls must have been absent for class on that particular day.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lastlivingsoul View Post
    Yeah, because its not like the whole point of WoW is to slaughter things and steal their belongings
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"