Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    i dont consider MOP as an xpac same as the others,
    MOP is an offshot from the traditional way of making wow xpacs.
    you might even consider it to be an activision xpac not blizz.

its a clear commercial attempt to combine the old brew master one time hidden in a bonus campaign in wc3 concept with the wave of the commercial success of the eastern martial arts animated comedy movies such as kong fu panda and mulan .

anyone who doesnt see it as a commercial attempt to ride that success is deluded.
    the very cinematic of that xpac is a pure shame showing a panda monk with a wooden stick put to shame easly while chewing a straw 2 warriors with goofy looks upon the faces .

its a pure invitation for the feeble minded to come and see the new god mode race/class and buy the product,
    a technique blizz never applied to any past new races or classes including the mighty DKS at the time, blizz never introduced them on the back of previous classes/races .

and for the sake of that xpac they made up an island filled with beer , fat short leged pandas, farms and giant rats , bunnies , snails , worms and talking fish , talking monkeys and talking insects.

if one wc3 hidden hero class deserve an xpac ,by that logic i want the next xpac to be all about rexxar and his half ogres race.
    'nuff said

Considering I've liked each expansion less than the previous one (overall, not necessarily lore-wise) I'd have to disagree. I hope I'm wrong, though.

Unlikely to ever top 10m again, imo. Too many factors that have nothing to do with the quality of the gameplay/lore/mechanics ... it's just too old, and it'll never have its previous upward momentum. I could see an amazing xpac sustaining at around 9mil for a couple quarterly reports in a row, but that's probably unrealistic even.

---------- Post added 2013-05-12 at 08:24 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by syphonlife View Post
    I have read every response in this thread....I have not seen one (maybe I missed one?) about the (possible) "who cares about lore"
    Funny, most of the people I've met / played with do care about the lore.

Either way we're talking at most hundreds/thousands out of the millions total. We don't have proper perspective.

But I know when I stop playing WoW I'll still be following the story.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    There a tons of people who dislike something because of a theme.
    Yeah, but the color of the car doesn't make it undrivable!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanochan View Post
    Yeah, but the color of the car doesn't make it undrivable!
    Nor does the theme of an expansion make it unplayable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Nor does the theme of an expansion make it unplayable.
    It does potentially make it unappealing though.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Story-wise it will have to be epic. They'll ace it I'm sure. Gameplay wise that will be my own incentive to return, I want to see how they change the gameplay to be more interesting for casuals such as myself. I'm running low on my favorite veggie, the carrot on a stick!

Ps. Aesthetics like character models will be a huge boost to incentive, however, will it retain the returners? Gameplay will do that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    I seriously doubt people are leaving because they don't like Asian themes. Pandaria is beautiful.
    It's not the theme itself, but rather how it's presented and how the game was presented. After fighting dragons and undead, look at the trailer, it presents it like a peaceful land full of pandaren. And in-game it's filled with stereotypes mixed with real myths. It just comes out as bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    It's not the theme itself, but rather how it's presented and how the game was presented. After fighting dragons and undead, look at the trailer, it presents it like a peaceful land full of pandaren. And in-game it's filled with stereotypes mixed with real myths. It just comes out as bad.
    LIke BC had poo jokes. Outland sucks is one of my fav but Outland sucks came after you had seen a giant magtheridon and gone through the dark portal and were all up in this serious demon killing questing experience. Poo jokes are everywhere in mists but mists isn't serious enough to make a poo joke really funny. The juxtaposition is lacking for that kind of humor in mists.
    The hammer comes down:
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

Deleted
    I still think the Theme is the reason why people are leaving.
    Tons of people dislike Mists of Pandaria on first sight.

Let's hope the subs will ever go up again. WoW doesn't deserve to 'die' this way.
    It won't die, on the contrary.

Let me explain. When you have 2 close to equal companies providing the same services with similar numbers of people under their care, you have competition. Both companies will innovate as fast as they can to not only not lose their people, but to also get the people from the other side.
    That's the whole thing, WoW has had a monopoly of the MMO genre for a long time, and it made them not innovate anymore, in Cataclysm they didn't even do much content even... so them going down in numbers to about... 5 million or so, is good. Why? Because this way other companies can reach them.
    Right now GW2 is doing good, and there's some other interesting MMOs coming, each with their own improvements. If Blizzard will see itself losing people, they will start trying to do something, and when I say "do something" I don't mean try to trick people into an annual pass, that wasn't a great idea. I mean actually bringing new things into WoW, innovating and bringing some of their own, and the game will actually start to feel "new" in some ways, and not just a project where Blizzard tries to just stop leaks with as little effort as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by nWoMATT125 View Post
    ok few thing the 1.3 million sub lost was in china
    What you wrote there is a lie. Please don't lie.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Bloodsail Admiral Colonel Sandor's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If it had anything to do with Azshara and Oceans I would hate to play it. Please no more underwater levels.

The next expansion needs some type of long term character progression system once people reach level cap. And I don't mean the never ending gear grind. That formula is old and tired.

I still think the Theme is the reason why people are leaving.
    Tons of people dislike Mists of Pandaria on first sight.

Let's hope the subs will ever go up again. WoW doesn't deserve to 'die' this way.
    And I know "tons" of people, what ever the fuck that means, of people that have had a giant boner for pandaren since they were first introduced in WC and couldn't wait for them to be added into WoW. The Asian theme was the gravy on top of that panda cake.

The old god lore was actually more interesting in this expansion than it was with Deathwing. How stupid is that?
    Last edited by shimerra; 2013-05-12 at 07:50 PM.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    Aiming it at "casuals" would mean they aren't meeting the middle ground. That means focusing purely on a casual playerbase and ignoring another. Middle ground is trying to satisfy hardcore AND casual players, and the introduction of LFR properly (DS was a test) seems pretty damn casual friendly to me, along with scenarios. They also bought in some fantastic raids with genuinely difficult hard modes, and many top tier guilds agree that it is the best raiding there has been in a long time. There is also a wealth of other options besides levelling alts as well (Pet Battles, old raids for new pets/transmog gear etc).
    Don't know about you, but that seems very much as if they are aiming for the middle ground.

There is nothing to "educate here", sorry to break it to you, but your flat out wrong.

---------- Post added 2013-05-12 at 07:42 PM ----------

Please explain where "casual playing" is solely tied exclusively to raids? There is a wealth of options and variety in WOW right now, more so than ever before, if people would stop being so blinkered, they would realise this.

Options are nice. None of those options reward casual players in either gear or ego inflation (the real psychological reward on an mmo) in any reasonable time frame. They are all just massive grinds or hideously unsatisfying for casual players (lfr).
    The hammer comes down:

Quote Originally Posted by Hubbl3 View Post
    As long as we stay on Azeroth everything is fine. When we invade another legion stronghold planet I will break Metzen's face for raping Warcraft.
    My opinion is exactly the other way around. If we get to stay on Azeroth I'll be disappointed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by catbeef View Post
    it isn't so much the content that is making this expansion a bad experience, but the complete lack of people to play with due to the server being a wasteland, and the highest ranking guild has 1/13 H.

someone save turalyon
    On your server you mean then? Tons of guild have reached 13/13HC now:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

The team is bigger than ever, Blizzard is getting very desperate with the subs, we still have a badass naga/demon theme waiting for us.

Must be quite hard for the next expansion to not be awesome. Blizzard surely can't afford another bad expansion again

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarchor View Post
    It's going to be hard to get people enthousiastic about the next expansion... unless they manage to bring something very new to the table.

People aren't going to swallow the following things anymore:
    - Days of quest-grinding again to get to max level
    - End-game consisting out of only PvP (BGs / Arenas) or Raiddungeons

People are growing very bored with that limited scope of endgame progression...
    Disagree. Burning legion with maybe a new demon hunter class or 4th specs for existing classes would make many return. If they market it as a burning crusade 2.0 that alone would intrigue any past player.

IMO they need to pull out more wc3 content/characters and make Kil'jaden the main villain.

Until Blizzard fixes the issues with Heirlooms, forces players to interact with one another again, and gets out of the mentality of WoW being able to played multi player or single player, WoW will continue to decline. They also need to remove the badge system they put into the game to create a more epic end game feel. Make it so that badges only give you gear to take you to Raid A. However, raids B, C, and so forth require you to clear the previous raids prior in order to advance to them.