Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Realm selection page showing no low pop servers

Are blizzard trying to hide the real realm populations? Currently there are no realms showing low pop on the EU realm selection(all showing medium/full) screen so i made 2 chars horde/alliance on Sporeggar which is showing as medium pop,alliance has 10 players online while horde has 6 : /
    Something fishy going on here.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love how people immediately assume that Blizzard is operating some nefarious scheme. Why do you even play if you think they're so evil and you can't trust them?

Perhaps more people signed on recently. Perhaps there is a bug with the realm pops. Perhaps they're preparing to merge a server. Perhaps you misread it.

Blizzard inflating numbers of active players????

What blasphemy is this

Looks like their secret is becoming more obvious. Not as many people play wow as they claim.
    Last edited by Snakehead; 2013-05-12 at 06:01 AM. Reason: Ipad autocorrect fack you ipad

Or, you know, the servers are still populated, but people aren't logging on. The Realm pop sites aren't based on activity.

Yeah, early in the morning tends to be quiet because, you know, people stay up late on weekends and sleep in on the morning? Could that be?

The realm pop indicator doesn't mean much. The server my Warlock is on is listed as low pop (and it's really low pop) most of the times. Then on the weekends it creeps up into 'medium'. I just take that realm pop thing with a grain of salt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe the system registers the realms that have cross realm enabled as a combined level of players *shrug*

Honestly why so hysterical though? I doubt it's done intentionally and if it is, so what? We know the situation, everyone knows it, we bombard them with emails about it weekly. Just keep at it.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I love how people immediately assume that Blizzard is operating some nefarious scheme. Why do you even play if you think they're so evil and you can't trust them?
    I've seen a shocking amount of players who seem to truly believe Blizzard is actively trying to screw people over. I don't get it.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    I've seen a shocking amount of players who seem to truly believe Blizzard is actively trying to screw people over. I don't get it.
    Because the only thing WoW players like more than playing WoW is dooms-daying about it on forums.

Not screw people, just inflate numbers. As far as the "active" number of subs on their quarterly they can get away with it based on a 1 month sub during that quarter so if you sub then quit guess what you're counted as "active" for the quarter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard isn't hiding anything. You guys are overreacting and need to relax.

Not screw people, just inflate numbers. As far as the "active" number of subs on their quarterly they can get away with it based on a 1 month sub during that quarter so if you sub then quit guess what you're counted as "active" for the quarter.
    So basically lie, intentionally misleading people. Take the tinfoil hat off.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Blizzard isn't hiding anything. You guys are overreacting and need to relax.

So basically lie, intentionally misleading people. Take the tinfoil hat off.
    How is it lying from a business standpoint?

You subbed hence paid for a service. They must acknowledge that to the shareholders. If you quit they don't count that until the following quarter. Provided of course you don't change your mind and come back.

It's basic accounting. Credits and debits.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldschoolwow View Post
    That is how every sub-business works. When you unsubscribe your access to the game doesn't end until the time you paid for passes. Technically you are still an active sub. It's not inflation or dishonesty.

That is how every sub-business works. When you unsubscribe your access to the game doesn't end until the time you paid for passes. Technically you are still an active sub. It's not inflation or dishonesty.
    Right. Business wise they are being "honest" in reality however they are saying more people are actively playing than are actually subscribed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Right. Business wise they are being "honest" in reality however they are saying more people are actively playing than are actually subscribed.
    They never said actively playing. Simply subscribed. I'm subbed to SWTOR...but haven't played in months. Legally in accounting terms I am a subscriber. I'm paying for the service; I am generating revenue for them. Nothing says I have to be active about using it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually they don't count subs that have been cancelled, even if they're still active. Their full definition is listed on their press releases, let me dig one up real quick...

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    World of Warcraft subscribers include individuals who have paid a subscription fee or have an active prepaid card to play World of Warcraft, as well as those who have purchased the game and are within their free month of access. Internet Game Room players who have accessed the game over the last thirty days are also counted as subscribers. The above definition excludes all players under free promotional subscriptions, expired or cancelled subscriptions, and expired prepaid cards. Subscribers in licensees’ territories are defined along the same rules.
    (Bolded for emphasis.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarchor View Post
    Well that is a can of worms.

That's an announcement from 4 years ago? That's back when they still regularly reported the number of subscribers instead of only revealing it every quarter.

There's also a difference between such a thing being said during a publicity or forum post, or as small letters on earning calls. They can say whatever they want on the forums or in news posts on the site, doesn't mean they'll use the same principles on the quarter calls though.
    The one I pulled this from was from last October.

They never said actively playing. Simply subscribed. I'm subbed to SWTOR...but haven't played in months. Legally in accounting terms I am a subscriber. I'm paying for the service; I am generating revenue for them. Nothing says I have to be active about using it.
    I am agreeing with that. In fact I have never said otherwise. However, just as you said subbed and active are not the same thing so by them inflating a low pop server when in actuality less people are actively playing is wrong.

---------- Post added 2013-05-12 at 06:30 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rivin View Post
    Actually they don't count subs that have been cancelled, even if they're still active. Their full definition is listed on their press releases, let me dig one up real quick...

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    World of Warcraft subscribers include individuals who have paid a subscription fee or have an active prepaid card to play World of Warcraft, as well as those who have purchased the game and are within their free month of access. Internet Game Room players who have accessed the game over the last thirty days are also counted as subscribers. The above definition excludes all players under free promotional subscriptions, expired or cancelled subscriptions, and expired prepaid cards. Subscribers in licensees’ territories are defined along the same rules.
    (Bolded for emphasis.)
    Rivin is doesn't work in the way that you're implying. If someone subs even for only 1 month that revenue has to be reported (we have accounting laws that mandate that) so they cannot simply ignore that money was earned so they report it. In doing so on their income statement they have to list that account along with all the other subbed accounts as a subscriber even if that account holder quit during that quarter.
    Last edited by Snakehead; 2013-05-12 at 06:32 AM.

The better question is why does everyone think Blizzard is some warm, fuzzy friendly entity.

If I told you Exxon or Microsoft was up to shady stuff you'd believe it, but Blizzard, oh no they are good guys!

Blizzard is a publicly traded company, they aren't your friend, you aren't their buddy, you are their customer. You are merely a few bucks on a spreadsheet to them. Every decision they make is how to increase revenue and profit. They are every bit as soul-less as Exxon, AT&T, or any other big corporation.

Just because their production is fun games and they push this "Oh we're your buddy!" PR spin doesn't mean you should blindly trust them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rivin is doesn't work in the way that you're implying. If someone subs even for only 1 month that revenue has to be reported (we have accounting laws that mandate that) so they cannot simply ignore that money was earned so they report it. In doing so on their income statement they have to list that account along with all the other subbed accounts as a subscriber even if that account holder quit during that quarter.
    Whether or not the money has to be reported has nothing to do with whether or not they're considered a subscriber. When Blizzard says "This is how many subscribers we have", that's the definition they use. Those 1.3 million subs that were lost? Anyone who cancelled but was still active at the time was counted among them. There's no shadiness about it.