Page 1 of 2
LastLast

The ONLY Thing I'd Change about MoP.

(Everything here of course is just MY own opinion.)

I apologize for the wall of text in advance.

I began playing WoW in WotLK (and proudly accept the title of being a "wrathbaby") and although I am not having as much fun in MoP as I was then, I blame that on the fact that when I was playing back then I was 19, not working a serious job, and had ... far too many free hours to blow on the game with friends of a similar age.

Now that I'm 22 with a 50+ hour a week job, I can't put as much time into the game. However, I remember spending a SIGNIFICANT amount of my time in WotLK AFK or just riding around in boredom in Dalaran. Cataclysm had this same trend.

In MoP I've never once felt like I had nothing to do - if anything I've felt there is just too much to do :P ...

BUT - isn't that the sort of feeling we wanted in WoW? To have so many options that we weren't pigeonholed into doing 1 or 2 things?

MoP has been a total breath of fresh air in that regard. While I am not crazy about the new scenery or lore, I respect it for what it is. I think with the game in the state is in now, whenever their next expansion comes out (which I'm assuming will tie back to more popular lore such as The Legion or Emerald Dream) people will be very engaged.

There are only 3 things I have hopes for Blizzard will change their stance on for MoP and future expansions.

1) Talent System - while watching Blizzcon in 2011, I was all for talents that really MEANT something. However, in execution of it, for some reason I just can't get into the idea of leveling up, and then a void of nothing. Just "grats, you leveled." I miss the "illusion" of choice - yeah, that 1% crit per talent level might not have you doing triple the damage, but you still felt you were improving your character. I never had a problem with cookie cutter specs and from the players I've talked to, they didn't really either. This one focuses more on the leveling aspect of the game... but IMO this talent system just isn't great.

2) Valor Items gated behind Dailies (and the garbage that was ilvl 450 JP Gear.) - This actually had me unsub from WoW as soon as my Annual Pass ran out - it's not that I don't like dailies but in no way do I feel your ability to get gear should be the carrot on the stick for them. From what I understood, "badge gear" was introduced as a method to reward players for their work if they weren't lucky with drops. It was a way to gear up. If you didn't get that plate helm in your 10 heroic runs, here! Buy one for 2200 JP! Or whatever that worked out to be. You got your valor to buy that epic piece every 2-3 weeks. You felt good about buying that helm because it was maybe just a little worse than the one that comes out of a dungeon, but it wasn't handicapping you.

With ilvl 450JP gear, it was a turnoff for me personally knowing that the gear was next to worthless in the sense it would need to be replaced by heroic gear. It wasn't close to as good as a 463 (especially when you factor in things like sockets...) It was smarter to convert JP to honor and buy the higher ilvl honor gear. I never understood this call.

And while I understood Blizzards mentality of "If you raid, you'll get gear anywway so you don't HAVE to do dailies...." - for competitive players that wasn't the case. For casuals I just feel it took away a gear option for them. Yes, casuals don't NEED raid gear if they aren't raiding, but isn't the whole point of the game to get better gear to kill tougher things? (or maybe you know, just to look cool?) ... If you dungeon capped valor, unless you did dailies you couldn't spend it. Awful, awful design IMO.

3) Bring back Reputation via Tabards - For all of Blizzard's talk of we want YOU to be able to control what you do in the game - they sure pigeonholed PVE players into Dailies. I'm not saying Tabards need to give massive amounts of rep to the point you can get exalted with 2-3 factions in a week, but don't CAP our ability to earn reputation via dungeons to the point where you'd be dumb not to do dailies!

Without the commendation, a day of dailies with Shado-Pan gets you roughly 1500 rep. A daily dungeon gives you 300. I'm not saying dailies shouldn't give MORE (I think it's a smart idea actually to get players who want to be in the world, out into the world) but the level needs to be brought up to that. If somebody would rather spend 2-3 hours spamming dungeons to get 1500 rep, rather than do 30 minutes of dailies, what is the problem there? One method is clearly faster while not alienating the people who simply don't want to do that method.

Some people just don't like dailies. Some people just don't like QUESTING period - I don't see blizzard putting caps on how much exp you can earn via dungeons though. Why isn't rep treated the same?

Literally keep everything else the same (expansion long immersive legendary quest-line, 12-13 boss tiers, the questing style, pet battles ect.) and while I don't think this game will ever hit 12 mill subs again, we'd have ourselves a very very good, main/alt friendly expansion.

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    #2 Was one of the few things I disliked. I liked the cata gearing system I thought it was much better for alts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Reputation with tabards was just so lazy, I'm glad its gone.

I think they need to mix the new talent tree and old talent tree and make something with those.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    Reputation with tabards was just so lazy, I'm glad its gone.

I think they need to mix the new talent tree and old talent tree and make something with those.
    While I don't disagree, we removed this option, yet put in a raiding mode where half the raid can mash buttons doing 75% less of the required DPS you would need on normal, and still gain epic gear and progress towards a legendary?

The Cata gear up system was superior to the MoP model. If they had transferred that model into MoP, this would have been one hell of an expansion.

As for the talent system, personally felt that the talents should have been half uniform talents and half spec specific. That way some of the talents could have made a bit more sense for the spec or class you were playing. A Marksmanship Hunter (the sniper) having to use Dire Beast and Murder of Crows for DPS just feels wrong...Or with hybrid classes, them trying to make mitigation or healing tools attractive to a tank, healer, and DPS (looking at you Paladin.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tawreyy View Post
    While I don't disagree, we removed this option, yet put in a raiding mode where half the raid can mash buttons doing 75% less of the required DPS you would need on normal, and still gain epic gear and progress towards a legendary?
    It's a very LONG legendary chain, if people had to do it in normal then there are tons of people who will NEVER get it.
    This will be a big thing to in next expansion, so be glad if u can progress further.

And i do think LFR needs to be nerfed in ilvl gear.
    but then again LFR is a reason why tons of pple stopped raiding, they saw the content, and gear nowadays dont mean a thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can agree with you, especially #1.
    I don't play WoW anymore(quit during dragon soul, came back for a day at patch 5.0) so I didn't really experience it.
    I'm not a fan of having to do a lot of dailies(except the FL ones) so I wouldn't like #2 or #3 either.

You have written a great post with an good explenation for all your points, I applaud you, good sir.
    Youtube Channel
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Minecraft Map: Valley of Ages(map is out of date)

#2 was my big one.

killed my alts to be honest. VP was a big way for them to get gear. no way in hell am i doing all those daily's again on 2-4 tons. nope i just stop playing and getting close to canceling my sub.

@ tawreyy

All the things that you mentioned is also adressed by blizzard.

Blizzard already mentioned that #2 was really bad and they said that they don't want to do it again. With 5.2 blizzard made it much much better; You gain reputation by the Shado-Pan-Assault by killing bosses and with higher reputation you unlock more items. That is a much better solution as the daily-horror. Yes some items can also be bought by the daily-faction on the island with valor gear, but the ilvl is lower and the items are much cheaper.

I personally think a mixture would be the best: lower ilvl and cheaper valor items with daily-reputation and higher ilvl-valor tied with raid faction.

Also there was a tweet that blizzard is also concerend about #1; there is too much space between the talents where you gain nothing; i don't know how blizzard want to change this, but it would be nice if it is possible.

My personal suggestion would be that player get points every level that they can spend on their primary or secondary stats. They can respec them by their class trainer. Every level they get more points than before; even more after you hit the level of the next expansion.

To prevent it that for example a mage add only intellect to their character, everytime he set a point in a stat, the stat gets more expensive. For example: the first 10 points cost each 1 point, the next cost 2 per point and so on. Secondary stats should also be cheaper than primary stats. This would be like before when you get a talent point for 1% more crit; only that you can choose yourself what stat you like to increase.

very good points! i remember when i capped valor but couldn't spend it... so lame i had to start doing dailies... and even though it was pretty easy - doing it everyday for 2 months was NOT fun.

also talent system almost made me quit wow. i really disliked mage talents for awhile. i still think firemage should not be able to cast frostjaw or ice barrier... they just mixed everything together. LAME!

#3 rep via tabards was kind of lame way to go - maybe instead of getting 10-15 rep per kill we should get 2-3 rep. that it would be OK. IMO.

I love the new talent system, but I hate how many dailies there are. I wish Blizzard would think of something else instead of dailies to do for added content. Other than that, I live Mists of Pandaria.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't change something that was suppose to be that way.

All i would change is that they need to remove the freaky portal going to pandaria and get a ship going to pandaria every minute like they did on every other expansions.
    last 2 expansions have been disappointing for me because they ONLY use portals to go there.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    Don't change something that was suppose to be that way.

All i would change is that they need to remove the freaky portal going to pandaria and get a ship going to pandaria every minute like they did on every other expansions.
    last 2 expansions have been disappointing for me because they ONLY use portals to go there.
    I agree, while its understandable you never really left pandara and the portal is there simply to get back, since alliance and horde presence is more established since the landfall patch perhaps adding ships to Lions landing from Stormwind and Domination point from Orgrimmar would be reasonable.
    Last edited by wrv451nlp; 2013-05-12 at 08:33 PM.

MoP has been really unfriendly to alts, compared to Cataclysm. This is my biggest problem with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Talents are so dull now. There really isn't anything that makes it feel like choice. It seems because of the cookie cutter routine people had before, they wanted to make it so we had 'choices' in spells we took. But honestly, these spells are not talents, there just addictional spells.
    Some of us might want to alter talents to exchange strength for defense, or increase range of spells instead of its hit rating. It gives our characters something to research over, to try out and test.

In removing cookie cutter talents, you just gave us cookie cutter classes.
    #boycottchina

I agree with your second and third points - I can't agree about talents at all.

Sure, the current system is not perfect; it's not inferior to the old shit system either. I don't WANT the illusion of choice - I want strong choices that make me legitimately unique (right now, tbh, the talents feel slightly better than before, but still more than anything like an extension of the glyph system) from other classes and other members of my own class.

I personally would like to see them boot out specs (just let you choose whatever you are at whatever time and have the "dual spec" system just save your bar configurations and whatnot) as the game presents far too many situations these days where it's vital to be able to swap what you are - I probably wouldn't have done the solo scenario in the Thunder Forge (for the legendary quest) as a dps spec, it was cakewalk as blood.

What I want to see is something more like Path of the Titans - post-cap character advancement with universal choices (that is, any class can choose Golganneth or what-have-you and I'd like to see Sargeras as one) as a less-rampantly-changed character choice. I think one of the problems we face in MMOs today is that character choices can be too permanent in some ways (if you remember playing Ragnarok Online back in the day...once they nerfed one build and a new one rose up, I had to just make a new Assassin because I couldn't re-spec and you did not level very fast in that game before "Renewal" came out) and balancing causes some choices to be far too detrimental to you if they're permanent.

I think Blizzard did the right thing with talents - I'd rather have some that are changed on certain fights (again...like glyphs) but several that are static than a whole suite of useless ones that are static. It's also nice that now I don't have to re-spec if I want to swap from 2H to 1H in the same spec - that's a benefit to the new system.

I just think the game needs alternate advancement rather than any re-haul of the talent system, despite that it's again just an extension of the glyph system at this point.
    Signature dunked by a lame MMO Champ robot.

Yea the double gate on VP gear and useless JP was a real screw up. Also heroic scenarios? what? who asked for that...pretty sure I read "more 5 mans" a few hundred times and not a single "more scenarios"

That aside I quite enjoyed alot about MoP, I found more enjoyment than annoyance (until I log an alt and just get annoyed that it will take months to do anything)

Maybe in a later patch they will make a use for JP and let us buy rep tokens ala wrath
    Whoops, sig too big

Delete LFR and CRZ, then im happy.
    Case: Corsair 750D MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z170 MARK1 CPU: i7 6700K (4.7GHz) CPU Cooling: Corsair H115i
    PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 750W Platinum GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified 6GB SSD1: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro
    SSD2: 1TB Samsung 850 Pro RAM: Corsair 32GB DOMINATOR Monitor: Asus 27" VG278H 120Hz

wow, nothing to do in wrath?> I was raiding 10/25 man on 3 alts... always a raid to do - what a raiders paradise of an expansion... please spare me the icc was out too long crap... i luved it long time.

The only real issue with the talent system is some simply being underwhelming, or very niche in their use.
    Getting an incremental, but ultimately pre-determined point to spend every level is offering nothing of interest.
    If you did not have that input, that need to manually spend the point and were instead awarded with an incrementally stronger version of x ability then it might be more appealing, but would suck at lower levels.

The higher levels of reputation should still mean something, but not being a barrier to the equipment or at least most of it.

The tabard system made reputations rather pointless.
    Bringing that back solves nothing, when the entry barrier to the equipment is the issue.
    Being able to grind out a reputation in 2 days is not a better solution than having access to the equipment much earlier and at much more appropriate costs.