Page 1 of 24
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Unhappy why does medicine cost so much?

okay so my anti-seizure meds cost me 700-800$ a month. my adderoll costs 300$ a month why is this? do they cost that much to make? or is it companies being greedy? how can people justify defending this kind of healthcare?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    okay so my anti-seizure meds cost me 700-800$ a month. my adderoll costs 300$ a month why is this? do they cost that much to make? or is it companies being greedy?
    Its mostly greed

okay so my anti-seizure meds cost me 700-800$ a month. my adderoll costs 300$ a month why is this? do they cost that much to make? or is it companies being greedy? how can people justify defending this kind of healthcare?
    You dare question my CAPITALISM?

10+ Year Old Account
    then what is the point of having healthcare if without insurance you can't afford it. shouldnt society work on making healthcare affordable? how is a student like me supposed to afford this?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

then what is the point of having healthcare if without insurance you can't afford it. shouldnt society work on making healthcare affordable? how is a student like me supposed to afford this?
    CAPITALISM fixes everything. Don't question. OBEY.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    CAPITALISM fixes everything. Don't question. OBEY.
    what does capitalism have to do with people being able to be healthy?

what does capitalism have to do with people being able to be healthy?
    It has to do with high prices.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    It has to do with high prices.
    why can't medicine be subject to having the base price lowered based upon various economic factors like everything else in capitalism? i have never seen a price for a specific medicine go down ever. only up.

why can't medicine be subject to having the base price lowered based upon various economic factors like everything else in capitalism? i have never seen a price for a specific medicine go down ever. only up.
    That is the miracle of CAPITALISM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Finished yet?
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

You're confusing him with that word.

10+ Year Old Account
    except capitalism is based upon supply and demand and several various other factors.....surely by now they would have recouped the expenses to develop and its not like it's hard to mass produce it. i have never seen any advertising for anti-seizure medication.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    Its mostly greed
    That $500 million average price to get a drug through clinical trials doesn't have any affect though right?

Do you not have health insurance? Sometimes the actual costs can be negotiated if you don't have any coverage to help pay for it. Contact the drug manufacturer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Look up how much a company has to spend to get a drug from starting phase through clinical trials before it gets to you. Half a billion to get a drug to market is a pretty big chunk of change. You think they like spending this amount of money without the hope of getting their money back?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodaway View Post
    Do you not have health insurance? Sometimes the actual costs can be negotiated if you don't have any coverage to help pay for it. Contact the drug manufacturer.
    i used to. dont have it anymore. was covered under parents. dont make enough to afford it. definitely dont make enough to afford my meds. they cost about 11k a year.
    make enough to pay my student loan payments and to go to school.

also what makes the process cost 500 million? i've never seen it fully explained how that money adds up.

10+ Year Old Account
    except capitalism is based upon supply and demand and several various other factors.....surely by now they would have recouped the expenses to develop and its not like it's hard to mass produce it. i have never seen any advertising for anti-seizure medication.
    It is based on supply and demand.

They demand lots of money for their product, and since you don't really have the option to not buy their product (the whole "health" thing), you supply it.

Medicine resoundingly lacks most of the criteria for a perfect competitive market, therefore the result of rather of leaving it to run as such (without price control regulations, etc.) is rather decidedly non-perfect.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Deleted
    There is always a demand for meds of all sorts.

Hell health care is the best example of Capitalism, make something for next to nothing and sell it to people for alot more and make mad profits, then laugh because you trademarked the medicine so noone can make a cheap version without been sued into next week.

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    That $500 million average price to get a drug through clinical trials doesn't have any affect though right?
    Yea I'm sure they don't make that back in no time at all.

Edit:

Also when was the last time you heard of a big Medicine company going bust or having money problems.

10+ Year Old Account

also what makes the process cost 500 million? i've never seen it fully explained how that money adds up.
    Google what it takes to make a new drug

here took 2 seconds to find this and I did it all myself.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_development

you guys have to realize not even all drugs make it to the testing phase, a lot of money is spent on R&D and also a lot of failed experiments that never even made it to testing. Did you factor the cost for those? I'm not saying big pharma doesn't make money, because they do, but to say that there's no risk in it is plain ignorance.