Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    Yeah ... how are these things all not as, or more (pink pigtailed gnomes), childish than pandaren ?
    To be fair, gnomes and goblins should have been removed from the game by now, for everyone's benefit.

Pandaran themselves aren't that bad. Hozen, the rabbit pests, and the floating bubble-with-a-mask mobs you get here and there, however, have a strong tinge of "Ok, now I'm playing a walt disney game" more so than one that just gets occasionally goofy or has a lot of pop references. Almost all of Stormstout Brewery, for example, is a concise example of the lamest stuff this expansion has to offer.

And while I don't think the story they're telling right now is the best they've done.... the *way* they're telling it is quite effective, and probably the best balance between participation in the story unfolding firsthand (through solo / 3 man scenarios, rep-related quests, etc) and through simply reading lore (which is scattered all over the island.) There's still some continuity issues here and there, but overall story delivery is better than ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Bashkar View Post
    They went very far out of their way to create a rich culture for the Pandaren, and it shows. They're a very vibrant race, with a hell of a lot more background than the other expansion additions. Werewolves, and Blue Space Giants (with their spacegoats) come to mind.
    I never understand the hate for Draenei (coming from a Horde player). Did anyone play WC3:TFT? They were well put into the campaign, was written in before WoW came about. The Pandaren started off as a joke. Then it turned to the Brewmaster idol for the Brewfest holiday. Then they turned out to be a playable race. I've already accepted them into the lore but it's still like making Greatfather Winter into an NPC that assists in killing Sargeras.

As someone has stated. The game is very old.. even ancient in terms of gaming. Me i started when i was 16 and im now 24... I play here and there but its not the same for a 24 year old as it was for a 16 year old
    "Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable."
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

General George S Patton

I hate Pandas, always have, even back in WC3, always thought it was just a stupid concept.

However I don't think it's one of the major reasons for sub-losses.

Most people are indifferent to them, they don't love or hate them, they tolerate them, much like the Worgen.

You could argue however that Blizz missed a big opportunity, a more engaging theme for the expansion might have stopped people from becoming bored and quitting as fast.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Is there a way to filter the forums to not show up every time i visit this site. I always see why wow losing subs why this why that 98% raging and crying

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    I never understand the hate for Draenei (coming from a Horde player). Did anyone play WC3:TFT? They were well put into the campaign, was written in before WoW came about. The Pandaren started off as a joke. Then it turned to the Brewmaster idol for the Brewfest holiday. Then they turned out to be a playable race. I've already accepted them into the lore but it's still like making Greatfather Winter into an NPC that assists in killing Sargeras.
    I think the hate for Draenei is because of the big retcon Blizzard had to go through to put them in game.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

The subs were mostly lost in the east, the game is better than it has ever been, this thread fucking happens every investor call, please stfu

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cenkiss View Post
    Do you think the 'pandas in my wow' kind of backwards thougth really made a big prejudice against MoP? And blizzard was not really able to break it?

When pandaria was announced many people dismissed it as the worst thing to happen to wow without knowing anything about it and they stayed away from it. No matter what blizzard did many people still hold the same belief. Do you think it helped in losing big numbers?
    I blame millennials and their "everything is a clone of X" mentality and how they crave originality yet nothing is original, everything builds upon its predecessors.

The older Y gen's and everyone older looks at the pandarian as what they are, the little furry guys that popped up in WC3. All the younger gen's see is Kung Fu Panda.

Also, many game developers struggle with millennials because they come and go so often. Yes, they do make up the bulk of initial game sales but they're also the first to disappear and move on after 1 month as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pandaren customs and storyline as a whole was a bit too ridiculous for me. Hozen is what made me angry. Hozen are not interesting or funny in any way to me. They are just plain annoying. I'm playing because the raids are fun, but the rest of this expansion is a bit ridiculous and badly put together, IMO. PvP is worse than it's ever been. Leveling/grinding is more boring than I remember it being in the past (I didn't play in vanilla).

It just seems like they don't really know what they're doing in terms of gameplay. I will give them that the raids are really good. They made me go from a player who only did pvp to a player who quit and came back because the raids are awesome.

I quit shortly before MoP, a combination of hating how Cataclysm had been and just not being all that interested in the MoP lore and the increased Horde/Alli focus over an Arthas/Legion/try to destroy the world type story - I didn't think it was really childish, just not the direction I hoped to see the WoW story go in, there were other things I really wanted to see explored. If I had enjoyed Cata, I probably would have been more likely to give it a try. Had the theme appealed to me more, I might have overlooked the lack of interest I had in the story and my hate of Cata and tried it anyway. But the combination of hating Cata + uninteresting follow up storyline killed it for me. I still have a fondness for the game pre-Cata and would have considered trying the next expac if it returned to the type of lore I preferred, but in the time since I quit, my RL has changed and I probably won't have the time really. If there's a legion expac I might buy it just to level. I don't think I'll ever have the time to raid hardcore again and I don't enjoy normal modes. /sadface

Deleted
    Probably, a lot of people thought the Pandarean looked stupid and didn't fit the game. And yes I know Pandarean have been around since Frozen Throne, but I seriously don't think that making an entire expansion around them was a good idea. The majority of people are going to see the game and think 'Kung Fu Panda'

I honestly dislike pandas, just my opinion. Some like them, but I can't stand their look - they seem so out of place in WoW. Also monk animations are retarded - like Fist of Fury... The whole thing is just so childish.

Edit: please don't bash me for hating on pandas and the whole expansion theme - it is the way I feel about it, and just expressing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Detheavn View Post
    I love pandas in my WoW.
    Evidently, those 1.3 million people who quit, didn't quite love pandas.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

I love how all the pro-panda people are now insisting it has ab-so-lutely nothing to do with the Panda's that people are now quitting WoW. Now, during the Panda expansion.
    Gimme a break, they made a mistake with the Panda's. Lots of people gave it a chance but are probably done with the childish peaceloving panda's.
    And to be honest, I sincerely hope they bring back the dark and doomy dragon killing. All this Zen nonsense is just ridiculous.

Deleted
    I can't speak for others, but when i first saw the MoP trailer and screenshots from the Blizcon, i had a few secondes of "what the... is this a joke ?".

I recently create a pandaren and while the gfx model is of course way better than say, old dwarf, i couldn't stand it. It's just some kind of fluffy bear that will never belong to any of my heroic-fantasy world.

And that's sad because in a way, what they did in Pandaria is good. People are travelling all around: for dailies, for the farm, for the world bosses, for the rare that drop all kind of funny gizmo, for the pet battles. It's a huge improvement over the spreaded zones of Cataclysm.

It just too bad the lore is about pandas and not about some kind of epic threat or just your "normal" tolkien fantasy, like vanilla WoW.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DenniZ View Post
    I love how all the pro-panda people are now insisting it has ab-so-lutely nothing to do with the Panda's that people are now quitting WoW. Now, during the Panda expansion.
    Gimme a break, they made a mistake with the Panda's. Lots of people gave it a chance but are probably done with the childish peaceloving panda's.
    And to be honest, I sincerely hope they bring back the dark and doomy dragon killing. All this Zen nonsense is just ridiculous.
    This is a pretty pro Blizzard forum. I've seen people on MMO Champion arguing that the game isn't really losing subscribers.

I don't think it was THE reason for any significant number of people, but it was likely a factor combined with many. I'm like the Pandaren in itself, but I think they went way overboard with sillyness & cliches this expansion making it difficult to distinguish what can be taken seriously anymore. When they released the MoP cinematic my wife LOLd, my daughter screamed "Kung-Fu Panda!" and there I was trying to overlook the flamboyant to appreciate the subtlety. I failed.

---------- Post added 2013-05-13 at 03:41 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    Yeah ... how are these things all not as, or more (pink pigtailed gnomes), childish than pandaren ?

Serious question. I see people saying Pandaren are childish who have no problem with the above.
    Historically, the "silliness" was much, much easier to tolerate for a wide range of people. It existed, but it was not front-staged, showcased or enveloping - it was fringe. They had fun with gnomes, pushed their luck with Goblins, but really overstepped with the MoP cinematic, Stormstout Brewery, Pet Battles, Hozen, some aspects of the Pandaren, etc... All prominent in MoP. Key word: Prominent. Pink Pigtailed Gnomes were "fine", but an "Island of the Pink Pigtailed Gnomes" expansion would not have been "fine" with many people. I'm fine with the Pandaren, it's the constant barrage of "silliness" throughout MoP that got to me after a while. It's not a matter of if it exists, it's a matter of how it exists within the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    Pandaren is one of the coolest race in Warcraft even more so than Tauren imo. Their culture is so much richer and more detailed than most of the races that's it's not even comparable.
    That's a pure BS statement and you know it. Crapdaren culture only has a lot more copy paste from China, whereas other cultures at least have original features.

Nah - All the people I've met who were opposed to the Pandaren because they thought they were childish, were just joking around to cause an argument. I've not heard one good argument against them in terms of "they're childish", simply because they're not.

Only from stupid people who thought "pandas? WTF?" and the constant jabs at "Pandaland" and the like.