Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hablix View Post
    Warcraft 4, sure... if it's an MMO. A newer, shinier, moderner MMO. Like a WoW 2. An RTS though? Not so much. Not really my thing. Maybe if they took the roleplaying elements they introduced in WC3 and expanded them significantly while diminishing the oldschool RTS stuff, like build orders and so on.

Also, 2016? That is so wildly optimistic it's almost beyond comprehension! This is Blizz we're talking here, and unless it's already been in development for several years, it wouldn't be until 2020 at the earliest, and that's if they started it today!

Diablo III: Development began 2001, announced 2008, shipped 2012
    Starcraft II: Development began 2003, announced 2007, shipped 2010
    you get used to build order pretty quickly and there are always tactical maps without the need to build anything, just use your units, that was even the case in beyond the dark portal and brood wars, expansion packs of rts games older than wc3.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannica View Post
    i wonder what plots wow might have that are significant, compared to plots shown as in the rts series?
    Its harder to get real earth-shattering, game changing stuff in WoW, since in the end you've got to maintain the status quo for a lot of stuff like factions, cities, etc. Even when Cataclysm came through and broke the world apart, you still had to have the major cities of the Alliance and the Horde relatively unscathed. You could change certain elements of them, but you couldn't get away with destroying the Exodar or the Undercity. The Burning Crusade and the Cataclysm were big deals, but they didn't shake up the Alliance and the Horde the way the Scourge/Legion invasion did in WC3.

If an expansion ended with Orgrimmar being razed and the orcs being forced to find a new land again, then yeah, that'd be a major event. If WC4 came out and the orcs were long-since entrenched in say Stonetalon Mountain with a new capitol, and Durotar was this overgrown, abandoned ruin, then that'd be wild - you'd be playing WC4 wondering what the hell happened, and also playing WoW wondering when and how the hammer was going to drop.

I know that I'm ready

Quote Originally Posted by AlarStormbringer View Post
    Check again. Typos happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanzlee View Post
    Not in my world they don'r.
    Laughed real hard, loving the selfown.

This thread is promising.

I can't lie. I'm more fun of WC RTS than WoW.
    Wow is an awesome mmo, but it's not a rol game anymore.
    Wc rts was an awesome game/s, but had that rol story-telling part that was awesome.

I'm in for WC4

Deleted
    Laughed real hard, loving the selfown.

This thread is promising.
    I'm willing to bet that was intentional. It's too obvious to not be.

WoW2 would be preferred to WC4. IMO Total War is the only remaining viable RTS franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    Its harder to get real earth-shattering, game changing stuff in WoW, since in the end you've got to maintain the status quo for a lot of stuff like factions, cities, etc. Even when Cataclysm came through and broke the world apart, you still had to have the major cities of the Alliance and the Horde relatively unscathed. You could change certain elements of them, but you couldn't get away with destroying the Exodar or the Undercity. The Burning Crusade and the Cataclysm were big deals, but they didn't shake up the Alliance and the Horde the way the Scourge/Legion invasion did in WC3.
    Of course not cause of the MMO format its not the best format to use storytelling. Even the Cataclysm couldn't change much. It can destroy/change landscapes, zones even the whole planet, but the political structure will always remain the same. Also, horde factions will never ever move elsewhere, like bloodelves joining the alliance again for example, or the forsaken trying to migrate to icecrown and Sylvanas heir the Licking after fighting Bolvar. Also Arthas wasn't allowed to kill any important faction leader or raze capitols. Its all due to MMO mechanics. People that log in on a daily basis are expecting to find their character well and alive in their healthy faction no matter what.

I think rpg/rts hybrids are a good way to tell a story. You can have big armies do wars and still have elements of solo rpg in there to explain the story in more detail. WC3 was allready a rpg/rts hybrid, there was way too much emphasis on powerful heroes and artifacts.

The last pure wacraft rts was wc2, it was good especially for its time, but wc3 got it better in telling a story and had everything improved. At the time i played wacraft3 during the 2002 year, i was pretty happy, but i really missed a big alliance vs horde campaign similar to wc2 just fleshed out in more detail. This was the only let down for me, but i guess no one can have everything. At least they made the BL and especially scourge awesome in wc3 and its expansion and not a wimp faction that is on the mercy on horde and alliance. The scourge was fully a playable faction in wc3. And it was fully evil no fuck with redemption. You choose evil, you get evil and thus are the villain.

I liked that freedom.
    Last edited by Tyrannica; 2013-08-16 at 11:42 PM.

...or the forsaken trying to migrate to icecrown and Sylvanas heir the Licking after fighting Bolvar...
    ERMAHGAWD a Sylvannus-centered expansion in which teh following is pursued would be amazing.

Been ready for it after Wc3 The Frozen throne!

Sometimes, other times I worried it will suck. I still play and enjoy WC3, so I don't really need a new one and my faith is a bit shaken at the moment.

Well, this thread got me all fired up, so I'm downloading WC3 to replay it after many years. Legendary storylines ftw!

Not Blizzard.
    Hi Sephurik

Quote Originally Posted by Volitar View Post
    Not Blizzard.
    But... but... they could implement a cash shop to buff up your hero

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    I'm willing to bet that was intentional. It's too obvious to not be.
    It was

OT: i've never been a massive fan of RTS games so i hope if there is a new Warcraft game it doesn't involve a storyline i personally want to play through, as i probably wouldn't play the new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Vigilant View Post
    But... but... they could implement a cash shop to buff up your hero
    won't happen. We don't even get buyable skins in SC2. RTS is really complicate. I actually don't know how to put cash shop in it effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyc View Post
    Would be cool! But doubt WC4 will happen before Titan.
    It might happen sooner then we think. It seem the "high point" in WOW was then they were drawing from the all the lore of WC3. When Cata and MoP hit people were just not as invested as they were when it was Arthas and Illidan. A WC4 might solve this problem by packing with with bad guys for further WOW xpacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Vigilant View Post
    Well, this thread got me all fired up, so I'm downloading WC3 to replay it after many years. Legendary storylines ftw!
    you will be sad to return to the boring wow plots after through frozen throne.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    won't happen. We don't even get buyable skins in SC2. RTS is really complicate. I actually don't know how to put cash shop in it effectively.
    Might take a look at how the upcoming Generals 2 game is gonna do it

Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    Lol got 32k active accounts (aka that played last month) last i heard. So they already beat WoW big time in that aspect.
    Lol is also free to play. So even if they're unactive, blizzards still making money.

Quote Originally Posted by Simulatio View Post
    A handful of people nut-busting about it on various forums does not equal popularity, and popularity does not equal good design.