Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

The problem: WoW stopped being epic

There is a reason WoW has lost so many subscribers and despite jumping up when people tried out MOP, it's now back down lower than ever and dropping fast.

It's simple really.

WoW stopped being epic.

It was a great game in its day. It had open world PVP, 40-man raids, 2-3 day long Alterac Valleys. When it stopped having those things, it had new stuff we hadn't seen before in MMOs - precise arena PVP, precise raid mechanics, all wrapped up in epic stories and ideas.

Even in WotLK, with those things gone, it retained an epic scope in its story - fighting the lich king and the undead hordes. A great sweeping epic storyline with a reason for logging in, to feel part of an adventure.

WoW now is 10-man raids, 3-man arenas. It involves fighting random insects and oriental-themed whatevers, on a random island that means nothing with kung fu pandas. MOP is garbage, we all knew it would be. It's a bad april fool's joke turned into a bad game.

It's uninspired, it's childish, it's lazy - but worst of all, it's not epic.

When was the last time you had epic fights like these out in the open world with hundreds of other players?

When was the last time you played just for fun with lots of people, in a massive multiplayer experience?

When was the last time you logged in without needing gear or gold or points or rep?

What about the fun community? Where did it go?

When is the last time in WoW you really felt part of something bigger - and no, standing next to the auction house doesn't count. When was the last time you got really excited just by being part of the large scale adventure?

Really, it was a long time ago. You play to recapture that sense of epicness, but it hasn't been there for a long time.

At some point, if you're right now still under the gear treadmill points and dailies grind spell, you will wake up from that spell and realise you're just wasting time on a game that got old and ugly a long time ago.

I feel bad for people who are stuck in their old chars, repeating the motions. Play other games, realise there's a world of fun out there and look after your real life more.

Join the people who have moved on to other MMO games, and better RL. You will look back and wish you had done it sooner.
    Last edited by mmoca8403991fd; 2013-05-14 at 10:04 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    No i won't. I'm continueing to play World of Warcraft. I don't see your point.

Disagree entirely. Subjective topics ftw!

Also I'm pretty sure "I quit WoW and you should too!" threads are against the rules. Nobody cares that you stopped playing. Go away.
    Last edited by mistahwilshire; 2013-05-14 at 10:03 AM.

Deleted
    Depends on your definition of Epic tbh.

That video looks like a complete and utter zerg fest to me.

One mans "zerg fest" in another mans "epic" though I guess, I am glad your having fun with it
    Last edited by mmoc3dde1cb131; 2013-05-14 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Speeling

Deleted
    that video looks horrible, i hate with a passion zerg fests like sha of anger or isle of conquest.
    apart from that it is a terrible marketing attempt from a gw2 fanboy with even the usual ridiculous statement about MoP theme.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Games over 8.5 years old. Still has over 8 million players.

GW2 is less than a year old, and less than 1 million players..

Up to you good Sir

Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post

When was the last time you played just for fun with lots of people, in a massive multiplayer experience? Everytime I log on.

When was the last time you logged in without needing gear or gold or points or rep? Everytime I log on, I don't -need- these things, If I -want- these things I do stuff to get them, or else I go do something that doesn't. I log in to level alts, I log in to level proffs, I log in to sit and chat, I log in to pet battle/BG's transmog runs, go to RP events, etc etc.

When is the last time in WoW you really felt part of something bigger - and no, standing next to the auction house doesn't count. When was the last time you got really excited just by being part of the large scale adventure? When our whole realm got together for Oondasta, the whole realm was going nuts, brought a ton of the realms longtime guilds together to organize it and it was super fun hundreds of us everywhere!. Also RP events, I often roll toons on other RP servers to attend certain events, they can be alot of fun, and you can meet lots of interesting people!

Really, it was a long time ago. You play to recapture that sense of epicness, but it hasn't been there for a long time.

At some point, if you're right now still under the gear treadmill points and dailies grind spell, you will wake up from that spell and realise you're just wasting time on a game that got old and ugly a long time ago.

I feel bad for people who are stuck in their old chars, repeating the motions. Play other games, realise there's a world of fun out there and look after your real life more.

Join the people who have moved on to other MMO games, and better RL. You will look back and wish you had done it sooner.
    My answers are in green. I have a RL a great one at that, but I do have less time to play these days, after almost 8 years of playing WoW I still have a ton of fun, you can't just stand about and hope the awesome always comes to you, you have to look around, fun is what you make it.

Deleted
    I kind of agree, although you're probably going to get lots of immature "Bye bye, no one cares, can I have your stuff?" responses. The last time WoW felt epic to me was WotLK. Cata... so-so. Pandaria? It doesn't feel epic to me at all. There's nothing 'cool' about Pandaria, nothing that makes me feel like it's an awesome epic experience like Black Temple or Icecrown.
    Last edited by mmoc877887c5bf; 2013-05-14 at 10:10 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for projecting your biased opinions and pity on us, we so appreciate it.

now, if WoW is so bad.. wtf are you doing here? Shoo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    I wish threads like these would result in a ban. Not to silence critique, but to set a rule that a thread shouldn't be as asinine as this.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dacoolist View Post
    Games over 8.5 years old. Still has over 8 million players.

GW2 is less than a year old, and less than 1 million players..

Up to you good Sir
    you can't back up that statement sir
    I don't know how many people play gw2 right now but it sure is crowded whenever i log on

anyway OP, your post wether true or not is aimed at deaf people so why bother
    Warrior, getting my face smashed in because I love it

"The Perfect Raid Design Drawn by me .

Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    When was the last time you had epic fights like these out in the open world with hundreds of other players?
    When was the last time you played just for fun with lots of people, in a massive multiplayer experience?
    When was the last time you logged in without needing gear or gold or points or rep?
    What about the fun community? Where did it go?
    I've been playing since TBC, I didn't see any of that then either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrno View Post
    I don't know how many people play gw2 right now but it sure is crowded whenever i log on

Guild Wars 2 has but a fraction of WoWs playerbase, that is just fact. But GW2 also has less servers so they are less spread out.
    I'm just here to complain, if I'm being honest

Deleted
    Completely disagree i quit wow twice in cata as i didn't find the content engaging and found the pvp balance horrendous. Started back in 5.2 and have never been as excited or happy with the game as now. Balance feels good as iv'e ever seen it. I'm thouroghly enjoying Mists and am happy with the direction the game is going.

10+ Year Old Account
    It sounds like you didn't even give MOP a chance.

While I do like GW2, the WvWvW is a boring zerg and the 'dynamic' questing does get boring after a while, any world events with lots of people are just mindless aoe events.

15+ Year Old Account
    Gotta say that I recently started playing gw2 again since I was getting tired with WoW. Feels good to be new to something again, a new world to explore and all that shit.
    Having played WoW since launch I am just now getting the feeling that I've pretty much done everything I've wanted to do, that's how good of a game WoW is. But for me personally it lacks innovation these days.

Deleted

I don't see how a persons opinion all of a sudden turns them deaf or biased. In fact a comment like that makes you look biased.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    Gotta say that I recently started playing gw2 again since I was getting tired with WoW. Feels good to be new to something again, a new world to explore and all that shit.
    Having played WoW since launch I am just now getting the feeling that I've pretty much done everything I've wanted to do, that's how good of a game WoW is. But for me personally it lacks innovation these days.
    For sure I 100% buy that new things are good, and I agree this is the problem with WoW it is really hard to make something "new and exciting" in WoW, none of us will ever get back that felling when we started leveling in Vanilla in total awe, this is what happens after 8 1/2 years of the same game.

Lets see how many people are playing GW2 in 8 1/2 years time.

The video of GW2 you posted, while easthetically more pleasing than WoW, is nothing but a chaotic zerg. I play GW2 frequently now that WoW has dwindled so painfully, but I have to say I miss the holy trinity concept and the idea of order in a chaotic fight, assigned roles and tactics to follow. GW2 is just slamming down 1-4 and pressing S if you feel like dodging something. I find it hard to call epic a massive bash where nothing matters and things are going to die whether you do stuff right or wrong - much like WoW LFR, 5mans and world bosses.

Epic used to be much more than just lots of people hitting the same pile of pixels.

As for the community aspect, you are correct. Community in WoW is absolutely horrible. If you are raiding just enough to know the meaning of a player, who knows his/her class, then you also know it is almost impossible to recruit people for anything that isn't a braindead zerg fest. Normals, let alone heroics, are beyond the comprehension of the majority of players today because Blizzard created a game where it is impossible to lose. Therefore, it is impossible to know you did something wrong and learn. Hence, everybody is bad, because it's okey. It rewards the same stuff.

I used to love WoW. I still do. But community will kill it for me, for sure. I go to GW2 because it's empty and I can get away from the cesspool of stupidity I encounter by just joining a random BG in WoW. I think it's time I go back to single player games

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium

You're right Bro, I could only find this: http://gamingbolt.com/guild-wars-2-r...g-400k-players
    - SHowing 400k, where's Wow's at 8,300,000 Subs

Anyways lawl