Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Possible to queue for PvP as group?

Hey fellow MMO-champions!

I bought Guild Wars 2 back at release date and gained quite a few levels.
    One of the things that really put me off the game back then, was that I was unable to queue for battlegrounds (is that what they are called?) in a group, with my friends. (In the sense like you queue for a BG as a group in WoW). I was just curious if anything had changed on that front, or is it still the same?

Thanks! :-)

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting that this has put you off, since you can queue as a group since the betaweekends just as fine as you can now. In tournaments, of course... you can hardly call Hotjoin matches PvP
    New is the addition of Custom Arenas, which are player (or website) run Hotjoin Servers, so not group-queuable as well.

Deleted
    I can see I've missed a lot of things since I started. So these tournaments, how many people would you need for that, or could join with, we could say, one friend, and you would be grouped up with a bunch of other people? All I really saw was the single-queue ones. But maybe it's because I thought that was how the game worked and I put the game aside at level 45-50?

Ill answer only because pvp is all I've been doing in the past month. But that info is easily acquired in-game or anywhere.

Tournaments are matches 5v5. You can queue solo, duo, trio, 4 people, or full 5 grp. The game will pick up other people to join your group.
    Take notice that even if you queue alone/duo and say the game puts other 3 solo queuers on your group, you might face a premade group which will likely be more organized, so use the first minute before the match start to TALK to the group and assign strats.

You can't hotjoin as a group though correct?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    You can't hotjoin as a group though correct?
    You can technically join off your friends (right click their names), but you won't be put on the same team.

Deleted
    Ok, that clears up a lot. Thanks for the answers everyone!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Infus View Post
    You can technically join off your friends (right click their names), but you won't be put on the same team.
    Something I don't really understand. So you are sitting next to someone and are like 'let's try this' (e.g. Halloween event 'PvP' worked the same way).
    Now you are in different teams / maps. Why???

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhywolver View Post
    Something I don't really understand. So you are sitting next to someone and are like 'let's try this' (e.g. Halloween event 'PvP' worked the same way).
    Now you are in different teams / maps. Why???
    It's essentially the only way to prevent what is meant to be pugs from getting super stomped by organized teams. It's a problem that's plagued other mmos.

But it's totally fine for tournament pvp!

Deleted
    To be fair, they were hesitating a LOT to add solo/small group queues for tournaments and not shockingly, it's a problem already ;p

To be fair solo que has been in since the start it simply didn't have a seperate button...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Infus View Post
    It's essentially the only way to prevent what is meant to be pugs from getting super stomped by organized teams. It's a problem that's plagued other mmos.
    Something I do understand, and that seemed to be the only plausible reason (besides the small possibility that I'm just too stupid to find the 'Join as group'-button).

But is it really necessary for all kinds of fun-events like Halloween, Keg Brawl, Crab zerg and whatever?

Indeed, especially for something like the crab tossing mini game since it's free for all. Would be cool if you could participate against your friends (although so far I hesitate to call this particular mini game fun).

10+ Year Old Account
    ANet doesn't understand the concept of solo queue, no we don't do it so we can face fully premade teams... fuckin idiots I swear. Largely a waste of time not to queue with a full group, because all solo q is gonna do is make you rage. It's like solo joining a match in CoD vs a full clan and all you have on your team is a bunch of random idiots camping for kills in capture the flag.

1v1 me on shipment bro!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    ANet doesn't understand the concept of solo queue, no we don't do it so we can face fully premade teams... fuckin idiots I swear. Largely a waste of time not to queue with a full group, because all solo q is gonna do is make you rage. It's like solo joining a match in CoD vs a full clan and all you have on your team is a bunch of random idiots camping for kills in capture the flag.
    The main reason they haven't split up solo and team queues yet is because they're afraid the queues will be a lot longer with splitting it up.

And they may actually be correct, too.

I'd rather wait 5-15minutes and have a fair fight than get "insta" queues and waste 15min in an unfair match and screw up my mmr/win-loss ratio...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    I'd rather wait 5-15minutes and have a fair fight than get "insta" queues and waste 15min in an unfair match and screw up my mmr/win-loss ratio...
    you say that now....anyway, there are pros and cons to their strat i see the merits in that it promotes you to queue in a premade than yolo-queuing, which is bad if you want to tPvP outside of the times your group is all online, yes you could buy a second account, but that's more of a bandaid really. i would personally like to see them separate not only the queues but ALSO the ratings as this would give players an incentive to yolo-q and maybe even form groups. most of my tPvP friends are opposition i faced in tPvP.

there is great potential with GW2 tPvP, even if many have moved on to WvW/PvE or quit for now, but i really hope that weekly BoT style tournaments make a comeback; have qualifying BoT matches for all registered teams by a certain time and then start eliminations, that feeling of progression as a team and making it through the brackets to the end is fucking intoxicating and beating the then "people's champions/favorites"? priceless!
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

You forget that I'm a gamer, this isn't the first time I've had to deal with systems like this. I still play MW3 for instance but since many players obviously went to BO2 it's a pain in the neck to find good (non laggy) hosts. I've backed out of games with <150ping for 15min straight to get a <75ping one.

I found it a given that if they split solo and team they should also split the mmr.