Poll: Do you want more fights like the chess event or flame leviathan?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Do you like gimmick/minigame fights?

Do you like weird fights like kara chess, or ulduar flame leviathan?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    chess event? granted, was like a gimmick. but flame leviathan? at least on heroic it felt like a real boss. not too hard, but defenitly like a boss.

I love them when they're done well. not as fond of the jousting in ToC5, but most vehicle fights have been fun
    as much as I enjoy the classes I play, it's nice to get the occasional fight that's so different and gives different abilities to use

Deleted
    Loved FL 4 towers, hated Malygos, Occulus was ok but the lack of people that knew how to do it made it a pain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Enjoyed FL+4, as well as Malygos and Oculus. Amber-shaper was fun also. But all those fights are pain when you have some people who have issues adapting to new toolbar. I think we wiped on Amber-shaper N (total wipes including kills after 1st) more than we did on WotE H.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Do you like weird fights like kara chess, or ulduar flame leviathan?
    You can't compare those two..

Chess is RNG hell, Flamy+4 is a real boss, that was quite challenging...
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    You can't compare those two..

Chess is RNG hell, Flamy+4 is a real boss, that was quite challenging...
    RNG hell? I never wiped to the Chess event at all. Tons of fun, very easy, no problems. Not even all that random if I'm honest, just know how to use each piece and there was never a single issue.

Personally I love fights that mix it up a bit. I enjoyed Chess, FL, even Malygos which a lot of people say was horrible. Jousting was alright too, but I'm glad we never had a raid encounter that used it. :P

So long as they don't overuse the mechanic, then I'm fine with it.

Deleted
    They are fine in theory, but in practice every vehicle boss is so frustrating because it always feels like me vs a bunch of people with garbage UIs that can't handle it.

I enojy them when they're done well.

A recent example of an ALMOST done well fight: Sha of Fear HC. The orb for huddle was a great way to make the encounter more engaging except for the fact that the fight goes on for days. At any rate, HC is still leagues better in design than normal. Teleport to platforms to fight panda archers? Who thinks of this shit?

I loved FL, didn't mind HC Shaper, but I agree that 10 times out of 10, someone WILL have UI issues and ruin the attempt. I hate vehicle bosses for this reason, at least if they employ "randomly choose raid member #8" mechanics. If we can PICK who gets in, it's fine.

I really enjoyed the non-vehicle fights that were gimmicky far more. Back in their golden age (BC) you had Chess, Lady Vashj, and Teron Gorefiend (lolflashminigame) to name a few good examples.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

10+ Year Old Account
    In moderation. One per (longer) instance is fine. The Chess event was great. It was quick, the gimmick wasn't too difficult -- a new person could pick it up pretty quick -- and it was the only "boss" like that in a long instance of traditional style bosses.

I did not like Flame Leviathan very much, but that is mostly because he was an enormous time sink. The stupid trash took forever if you were doing it with towers up, and then on 25 man (which is the size I raided on then) you had to spend time giving out vehicle assignments, telling the subs to sit where and swapping people around if they are subbing for someone who had an "important job" or their ilvl is super low, etc, etc. It wasn't uncommon, even after we had the boss on farm, to waste like 45 minutes just on him and his trash.

I don't particularly like fights like Ambershaper or Gorefiend though where everyone has to learn to drive something and perform perfectly but it's RNG whether they get a chance to practice. I don't have a problem with the concept; it's just the randomness of who gets picked and when. I remember it was like three or four weeks into doing Gorefiend and I had never once been picked while most other people had done it multiple times, and I lived in panicky fear that it would finally get me and I'd wipe the whole raid. If you could control who did it or it made a point to have everyone get at least once an attempt, that would solve that issue.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Having such fights every so often would be nice. I'm one of few people that actually liked Malygos P3 (which was reflected in my being #1 on dps by a mile) and was able to make it work. FL was a fun fight; it's just all the trash leading to it was aggravating.

Setups similar to Putricide, where you can decide who gets the gimmick role, are preferable to, say, Amber Shaper or Gorefiend. Least there was a web page made that simulated the ghost for Gorefiend years ago, lol.

Deleted
    What's the gimmic about Gorefiend? I never raided during that time, and no video I watched (granted I didn't search for long) shows anything special, but a nuke boss --> collect loot.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyxxi View Post
    Loved FL 4 towers, hated Malygos, Occulus was ok but the lack of people that knew how to do it made it a pain.
    omfg occulus. I knew how to do it, but the problem was in LFD you'd get it almost every time, and then INVARIABLY there'd be these people:
    1. Guy who has no clue how to do it and just stands there at the dragons hoping the rest of you will do it for him. Stupid or lazy. Not sure.
    2. Guy who insists on doing an achievement for it. Because with guy #1 here and random group of people, that's a good idea. But hey, his needs outweigh all other considerations.

We hates it, The Occulus. WE HATES IT FOREVER!!!!

As a rule, I enjoy these types of fights (where the gimmick is that you have a vehicle or other alt-mode with a different set of abilities to use), as long as they're used occasionally to add uniqueness to the encounter and the instance they occur in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karlzone View Post
    What's the gimmic about Gorefiend? I never raided during that time, and no video I watched (granted I didn't search for long) shows anything special, but a nuke boss --> collect loot.
    Like Ambershaper, random people get a debuff and have to drive these ghosts to kill adds. If you fuck up and the adds get into the raid, you wiped. It wasn't super difficult objectively but it had a learning curve, and when you had 25 people in the raid who needed to learn and each wipe during progression maybe 1-2 people got to try it at a time, it took a looooooong time for everyone to learn.

And, in my raids' case, some people never learned and even when the boss was on farm you caught yourself praying those people weren't picked.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazgrel View Post
    Setups similar to Putricide, where you can decide who gets the gimmick role, are preferable to, say, Amber Shaper or Gorefiend. Least there was a web page made that simulated the ghost for Gorefiend years ago, lol.
    Yes! I loved Putricide, probably my favourite fight that tier.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Love how they break up the monotony
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

They can be a nice change of pace, but I often don't like them. They usually put a high degree on responsibility on one / a small number of raid members. The better ones allow you to control who those raid members are. The poorer ones choose those raid members randomly.

My sense is they tend to be buggy to, but that may be skewed. We always had trouble with balls despawning on Zon'ozz, or Ryolith doing something stupid.

As a Priest I loved doing the Instructor Raz fight in Naxx, but I absolutely hated the Malygos fight. It just depends on how they implement the gimmick. I hated those dragons...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mionelol View Post
    Here it is

This flash game has always been bazillion times harder than in-game, lol.
    haha that is great!

Deleted
    while i enjoy it when its just a small added part that doesnt make you do it the whole time like on ambershaper. I find it fun/acceptable.

but in general i dislike them a lot, now the first time you do it its amazing. especially when we did flame leviathan the first time. however these kind of fights bore me a lot faster then more normal type of boss encounters. which makes them overall less enjoyable.