Paladin solo tank ToT

As a protection paladin which fights could i solo tank in ToT?
    I want to know if anyone else has done anymore then the following so i can give them a go. If you could let me know how you avoided the tank abilities that would be great!

I've already solo tanked the following :

Horridon HC
    Council Normal
    Tortos Normal - Should be able to do heroic but is that with me tanking bats or a range dps kiting?
    Ji-kun Normal
    Durumu Heroic
    Primordius Normal
    Iron Qon heroic
    Twin Consorts Normal
    Lei Shen Normal

Megeara i can solo tank, Does this mean i cant bring melee as theyll get breathed? Or is there a safe spot? /where?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xevarc View Post
    Megeara i can solo tank, Does this mean i cant bring melee as theyll get breathed? Or is there a safe spot? /where?
    Megaeras hitbox is huge, so yes there are safe spots, you just have to figure them out

Sweet, Ill probably give Megaera a go at solo tanking at some point then!

10+ Year Old Account
    Jinrok in Theory - with a Plate DPS taunting for every other Debuff/Tanking during Throw // Probably not worth it though
    Horridon - You can solo tank Horridon but you still need a 2nd Tank for the Adds
    Council - You can solo Tank (NH) if you have a Melee DPS/Hunter taunt Marli away a few meters for every healing add
    Tortos - You can solo Tank everything, even on HC
    Magaera - Possible, but Damage Intake is pretty insane
    Ji-Kun - possible / not practicable
    Durumu - Pretty easy to solo Tank
    Primordius - I solo tanked our NHC kill last week. Just Bubble Debuff at 25 and enjoy 10123232 Vengeance.
    Dark Animus - Not possible
    Iron Qon - You can solo Tank, even on HC
    Twin Consorts - You can solo Tank NHC pretty easy by now (only with good gear on your raid!!). HC is not really solo tankable due to the positional Stuff.
    Lei Shen - You can solo Tank him pretty easy too with enough gear. Only trouble is P1 where you have to stack your cds (SoTR + Guardian or Defender + Div Prot.)

--

To sum it up:

Tortos / Durumu / Primordius / Iron Qon are all Solo Tankable without much hassle on NHC
    Twin Consorts / Lei Shen are easy solo tankable when you have enough gear and DPS on your Raid (like 522+ average)
    Jinrok / Council / Magaera / Ji-Kun are possible but its not really practicable
    Horridon is not a real solo Tank fight, but if you count only tanking Horridon as solo Tanking then yes
    --
    Only Dark Animus needs 2 Tanks

@ Jin HC: Its pretty easy to Solo-Tank this one with a Blood DK. Depending on your Raid Composition, I guess it's also possible to Solotank it with a Prot Paladin if your Raid doesn't mind the extra AoE Dmg. Needs someone else to tank between the Throws and taunt off a debuff now and then though.

@ Tortos HC: You can do both. Either Tank everything (including Bats) or Tanks Boss and have a Monk/DK kite. Ranged DPS kiting is not practicable.

@ Twin Consorts HC: First Phase is pretty much solo tanked with a Prot Pala. 2nd Phase you could also solo Tank if you have like a Holy Paladin that can taunt you off with bubble for 4 secs to let your stacks drop. 3rd Phase is solo tankable if you position your raid accordingly. So I guess in theory, you could solo tank Twins HC aswell.
    Last edited by Riemu2k3; 2013-05-15 at 01:31 PM.

Deleted
    Yep, you've killed Durumu HC, frequently use one tank strats, and are totally unaware that megaera can be one tanked.

Meanwhile I've spotted 7 pink elephants flying around outside today.

We're having a 2nd tank problem atm, And after solo tanking quite alot last week, i rather enjoyed the challenge.

I managed to solo tank HC Horridon and adds last week, Just had a hunter MD them and taunt them to kick them up, Using the awesome vengeance to help kill them, Was alot of damage tho.

I havent killed HC durumu just yet, But almost did and thats easy solo tankable, especially as a prot pally.

Council Stun is a little pain, But i guess just CD through it
    Twin Consorts i solo tank on normal, Altho i keep wondering if ill be able to solo tank on HC
    Primordius normal i solo tanked last week, I just bubble stacks, On HC i imagine its not solo tankable due to dealing with the tank add? (not looked at this fight yet)
    Lei Shen normal i just had a melee dps taunt it away for P1, Rest is easy with rotating CDs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Riemu2k3 View Post
    Jinrok in Theory - with a Plate DPS taunting for every other Debuff/Tanking during Throw // Probably not worth it though
    Horridon - You can solo tank Horridon but you still need a 2nd Tank for the Adds
    Council - You can solo Tank (NH) if you have a Melee DPS/Hunter taunt Marli away a few meters for every healing add
    Tortos - You can solo Tank everything, even on HC
    Magaera - Possible, but Damage Intake is pretty insane
    Ji-Kun - possible / not practicable
    Durumu - Pretty easy to solo Tank
    Primordius - I solo tanked our NHC kill last week. Just Bubble Debuff at 25 and enjoy 10123232 Vengeance.
    Dark Animus - Not possible
    Iron Qon - You can solo Tank, even on HC
    Twin Consorts - You can solo Tank NHC pretty easy by now (only with good gear on your raid!!). HC is not really solo tankable due to the positional Stuff.
    Lei Shen - You can solo Tank him pretty easy too with enough gear. Only trouble is P1 where you have to stack your cds (SoTR + Guardian or Defender + Div Prot.
    Jin'rokh: should be possible to outheal the damage also while you are chaining cd's so the raid doesn't take too much damage. Kill him quickly. On hc it probably hurts too much, but then you could have the melee dps taunt for a moment.
    Horridon: Don't see why it shouldn't be possible. Tank boss and adds at once - melee dps can just dps the boss all the time. I don't think it should be impossible on hc either; just not very useful.
    Council: Easy one tank, just tank them together on nm (i mean... why would anyone not do that anyways). Also for hc it should work nicely -> just hold a bit of aggro on the ranged add.
    Tortos: yep you're a pally. Hc as well.
    Magaera: Possible but not very useful (makes it a lot harder for tanks/healers at least, which is not needed). Works for hc but I've been told you need to play quite perfectly.
    Ji-kun: Normal mode should be fine (quick kill). Hc mode would work if BoP can reset the talon rake stacks. You can have a plate dps tank those birds - i've heard they don't hurt a lot anyways.
    Durumu: Yes and yes for hc.
    Dark Animus: should be quite possible as long as BoP resets the stacks of explosive slam. Also you would be able to just not activate a big add, and just kill boss really quickly? Hc is impossible.
    Primordius: Normal mode should be fine. Hc not.
    Iron Qon: normal check and hc check.
    Twin Consorts: If you can reset the fire lady's stacks then it should be fine. Also for hc i'd imagine.
    Lei Shen: With good cooldown usage for the "tank swaps" it should be possible. Not hc though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just read a thread where you can solo tank council HC with a prot pally.

Two questions about that - maybe you guys can answer

a) how do you handle the Frigid Stacks without people getting killed/critted during? Or doesnt he melee while he builds stacks? We have Holy P / Fury Warri available for ping-pong

b) how do you handle the healing add on mar-li or mar-li in general? You just build some ranged aggro on her and then just let her cast while you tank the other stuff far away?

Is solo tanking that much more viable then two tanking?

Id also like to know , The Frigid stacks are my main worry

Quote Originally Posted by Riemu2k3 View Post
    Just read a thread where you can solo tank council HC with a prot pally.

Two questions about that - maybe you guys can answer

a) how do you handle the Frigid Stacks without people getting killed/critted during? Or doesnt he melee while he builds stacks? We have Holy P / Fury Warri available for ping-pong

b) how do you handle the healing add on mar-li or mar-li in general? You just build some ranged aggro on her and then just let her cast while you tank the other stuff far away?

Is solo tanking that much more viable then two tanking?
    A: I just sit there and take it and get frozen. First Frigid, I pop GoAK. Second Frigid, Priest puts the big yellow group Divine Shield (power word barrier?) on me. Third Frigid, Monk Healer puts a Green bubble. Key things: Make sure you have full health before 10 to 12 stacks; if not, use LoH, I have it talented just for this fight just to lower the cooldown. Always refresh Sacred Shield as close to 13 as you can. Divine Protection (glyphed or not, see below) should be used with as many Frigids as possible. If I'm going to pop Ardent Defender, its between 9 and 13 stacks. Use you're shorter cool downs closer to 13, lower at 9.

B: We did not interrupt her.... until Sul was dead. Hunters used miss direct on her every chance they got. Our boomkin used MD via symbiosis as well. After Sul was dead, I just taunted her (had her on focus) whenever she looked at someone else. She will stand still if you do not interrupt her. *Edit* Mar'li does lots of magical damage so it is useful to have an un-glyphed Divine Protection active while frozen from Frigid Stacks. *End Edit*

We were trying 2 tanks, but we also had to have 3 healers (because of gear). After becoming increasing frustrated with Sul getting Possessed and insta wipes happening at that point, we decided we were going to try solo tanking it with the goal of burning Sul before he go possessed. On our first attempt with one tank, we go further than we did with 2 tanks in a week. But keep in mind, we have 3 healers with no off specs. (Originally we were actually talking about 2 healing and 1 tanking it, but then we realized none of the healers could dps)

Your dps needs to balance DPS'n Sul and the possessed person. Our goal was to finish with the possessed boss right before he/she gained Dark Powers. We Pre-potted and BL at the beginning, used 2nd pot as soon as it came off CD to finish off Sul. We were no where near the berserk timer when we killed the last boss.

Dont suppose anyone has a video on how to solo tank Tortos? Id love to watch a prot pally PoV. I havent tried this but i can imagine rape damage.

I checked everywhere for a Tortos and Council solo tank video, and couldnt find one. However i couldnt for Horridon and still managed that =)

Deleted
    Dont suppose anyone has a video on how to solo tank Tortos? Id love to watch a prot pally PoV. I havent tried this but i can imagine rape damage.

I checked everywhere for a Tortos and Council solo tank video, and couldnt find one. However i couldnt for Horridon and still managed that =)
    Normal or HC?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearsyn View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=xTDiGrSWOYg

Paladin Heroic Tortos Solo Tank - March 24 kill
    Very nice. How much of those absorbs were from SS? I'm on my phone so I can't read the healing meter too well, but it looked like you were up there with the healers. It was like you never took damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaling View Post
    Very nice. How much of those absorbs were from SS? I'm on my phone so I can't read the healing meter too well, but it looked like you were up there with the healers. It was like you never took damage.
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=5039&e=5550 -- it's in German, so it might be a bit hard to read, but if "geheiligter schild" is sacred shield (which google translate suggests), then it should be 12,7% of his healing done. One aspect of the heroic Tortos encounter is the Crystal Shell mechanic, which lets you add an absorb starting at 15% of your hp and going all the way up to 75% of your health (which in Velanth's case was about 572k with the Shaman healer's Ancestral Awakening). So by healing through this absorb, while it may look like you're taking close to no damage, this is not actually the case. Though he did, indeed, use his protective cooldowns to mitigate a lot of it; of course - and with 104k HPS, he obviously didn't slack on keeping himself and others around him alive and well (49,9% of healing on him was by himself).
    "Such insolence... such arrogance... must be PUNISHED!"

Deleted
    What's the deal with Fans of Flames on Twin Consorts? Can the debuff be removed by bubble?

I was forced to try solo tanking it in LFR as there was no 2nd tank. My impression was that divine shield removed it but hand of protection did not, but I can't see how that would be possible as both bubbles should operate the same. It was chaotic so I may have just gotten the wrong impression.

It's not really that interesting or exciting. As a paladin you just have battle healer, smack the turtle, and shuffle around so bats don't bit your butt.

Yeah pretty interesting thread, first I would say in most cases what we can solo tank can pretty much be done by most other tanks as well, in some cases other tanks can solo tank certain fights on Heroic much better then us and of course we have advantages on others, my experience is for 10 man HC only, and my guild 7/12 HC, i also have ranked 10 top in the world several times on multiply fights.

Jin'rokh 10H - It is theoretically possible to solo tank this, and I have done it only a *save a silly wipe and just kill it already style.
    The method to this is quite simple really, you have a few options first thing to understand is the static debuff will only damage the raid if you take damage so if you fully absorb hits the raid will not take damage as well as any avoided hits. your going to be looking at 3-4 stacks of debuff per phase, with a good disp priest and paladin you can indeed shield stacks of up to 15 and avoid the raid taking any damage with cooldowns. To drop you stacks there is several ways, bubble doesn't work so you best option is to have a warrior dps taunt, and use die by the sword, as for the throws, just take the boss way into the far side, get thrown and have a dps be way on the otherside by the time he gets to it your stun is gone and you can tank again.
    The biggest thing to note, there is no gain to the raid by doing this you can't really stand in the puddle as much because then the stacks will rape you more and possible the raid, so you won't actually end up doing more dps it will be the opposite, the only reason to do this is to say, well I 1 tanked it, and its really more assist one tanked since you need the help of the raid.

Horridon 10H - Possible and very doable, nothing much difficulty about it, bubble/bop your stacks in between doors and tank everything, the frost door and war-god + Horridon are going to require you to chain cool-downs, this will mean you will go into the enrage missing a lot of cooldowns, its not really super practical for first kills and there is a high chance of spike damage, but it will test your tank and activate mitigation skills, i'm yet to do this on Heroic because my healers are chicken shit.

Council 10H - Possible, and practical even for first kills. The first thing to note is the priest, just build ranged threat use mds and such, no interrupts on her so she is at distance, after one empowered phase threat will never be a issue again. The real concern here is not getting frozen, how the first thing you need to know is that dodging a attack will no apply the debuff, so druids well they can solo tank this without any help and won't get frozen, they also take less magic damage and make us look like a joke on this, anyways how you handle it is you have a few options, the first, the lazy way eat the stun, this means saving all your big cds for when your stuned + unglyphed DP for marlie damage, the thing is its a fuck ton of damage you take well frozen and healers already are in most cases tunneling the frostbite half the time, so your other option, Warrior Die-By-Sword is a great way to handle for frost king well empower, if it runs out combo with a shield wall, or a leap out and retaunt your stacks should be gone, the other way of course is a simple taunt chain, this is a pain for melee when his empowered, but early on they should be on sul and later they can tunnel something else so it won't hurt that much, if you need the extra healer or dps this is the way to go, i know guilds have used this for a extra dps or even extra heals to get up to 4 healers even, if you have a druid tank go ret and let them do it for progression kill.

Tortos 10H - 100% Doable, and 100% recommended, there isn't anything extra to it, basically you tank the boss, make sure that you sotr every snapping bite and quake stomp, use md combined with battle insight to get bats to come to you, lights hammer is better for damage, and healing but if bats coming to you is a issue, holy prism will make sure 100% they are on you. The benefit to this you can bring a extra dps or extra heals, I do this with 3 healers, since we can use the extra raid healing anyways and my shield almost never drops off, it is doable with 2 healers without massive issues either, just make sure you have a cooldown for every bats, if you drop your shield, have a stun on the bats, to reduce damage from bats you can slightly kite left to right and so thought offset swing timers. I recommend doing this for progression we started with 2 tanks, and you will easily take less damage the 2 tanks combined, almost less then 1 of the tanks when 2 tanking because of the strong absorbs from vengeance, and due to the shield effect almost none of your sol is over heal, i have done up to 140k hps on this fight and 460k dps.

Megaera 10H - 100% Doable, and 100% recommended, this seems like some crazy start to people, well it kind of is but the effect damage increase you get by trading off a tank is massive, and there is less overall tank damage by doing this and less overall raid damage, basically you build threat on the green head during rampages so it stays on you, at the start you stand in between, basically you will be soaking rages from the green, but that is predicable damage, you just need a CD every breath as well as making sure heads die before breaths or a decent while after so you drop green stacks, there is so much benefit to this, one thing to note is that the rages actually do less damage then green heads melee attack after 3-5 stacks quite easily since the amount of haste they get is crazy, heads will go down faster since all your dps is effective, which means less arcane adds, as for the breaths your raid just needs to learn the safe spots and make sure no one goes in greens melee range.

Ji-kun 10H - Possible, but not really useful, you will need to drop your stacks after 4-5, and have a plate dps tank the adds, however there is no gain in doing this other then saying you one tanked it, i wouldn't bother it will waste a lot of ya time since it will be harder to one tank.

Durumu 10H - 100% Doable, and 100% recommended Simply bubble/bop your stacks off after 6 or 7, your choice that's about it, not much to it really.

Prim 10H - Not Possible, you can do it on normal if you want just bubble at high stacks, but you can't do it with the way it works on heroic.

Dark Animus 10H - Not Possible, Hell your better off with 3 tanks, you can do it on normal, there is really much to it.

Iron Qon 10H - 100% Doable, and 100% recommended, you just need to bubble/bop stacks off, when you tank all 3 dogs just use a cool down, make sure you drop your stacks before the storm as well as that can hurt, the choice of when to drop your stacks if up to you, with another paladin with clemency you can basically drop your stacks every 3 if you like, I've done this well 2 healing, compared to with 3 healers where i try to hold on to them longer for more vengeance, either way there isn't much to it and it will give you room for that extra dps to push the encounter.

Twins 10H - Yes its possible and it can be done quite easily, but i just typed a massive post so i'll leave this one at its possible.

Anyways that's a sum up, i've color coded it for you make it simpler, simple fact is you can basically solo tank most normal mode encounters without to much stress, as for heroic some are possible but have no advantage in doing so, some do have advantage but can be quite risky, others are just simply green light ahead if you want the challenge your raid can only gain from doing so.

Brought to you by HexzonTM

Thank you very much for the info! I'm constantly doing research into solo tanking fights for the challenge, I was rather proud of myself for doing Horridon without any videos =)
    I defo aim to try Tortos, and already had a few attempts on Council, Am a little scared to try Megaera haha. Jinrokh ill only do if we literally dont have any other tank available

But very much appreciated in your time and input!

Cravex - Azjol Nerub

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by econ21 View Post
    What's the deal with Fans of Flames on Twin Consorts? Can the debuff be removed by bubble?

I was forced to try solo tanking it in LFR as there was no 2nd tank. My impression was that divine shield removed it but hand of protection did not, but I can't see how that would be possible as both bubbles should operate the same. It was chaotic so I may have just gotten the wrong impression.
    Divine Shield and Hand of Protection don't operate the same, and I don't think they ever have. DS provides full immunity, whereas HoP only provides immunity from physical attacks/abilities. Fan of Flames is classed as a magical ability, so HoP won't do anything to it.