Does the next class have to be a hybrid?

As the title says; Are we destined to get another hybrid as the next class? Why or why not?

All classes should be hybrids, let players sort out their roles for themselves. That being said, from a development point of view I'd think there would be a lot more you could do with a hybrid than a new pure when we already have the basic pures classes covered.

Deleted
    Tinker could be all.

Dps / Tank / Healer.

Though it will be a ranged dps this time .. to even the other 2 melee classes we got.

Yet .. a hybrid yes.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    No it doesn't have to, but it most likely will because it's just easier really and that way the new class has a higher chance of suiting everyones likes and dislikes.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    No, no it does not. I hope it is though

I don't think blizzard will ever release a pure class again. They're fun, but balancing 3 dps specs is pretty difficult. Also I'm pretty sure blizzard knows there is in general a smaller amount of people playing tanks/healers, so why release MORE guaranteed dps?

Hybrid classes are the easiest when it comes to creating a feel for each spec that is different from the other two. So why it doesn't have to be a hybrid, it most likely will be for that reason.

Doesn't have to be, but I really don't think the majority would find another pure-DPS class interesting (and no, I highly doubt we'd get a pure-Tank/Healer class either).

Does there have to be a next class? If they do add something new I doubt it is pure dps, which would keep all the ppl that only want to tank or heal from ever playing it.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ogdru Jahad View Post
    I don't think blizzard will ever release a pure class again. They're fun, but balancing 3 dps specs is pretty difficult. Also I'm pretty sure blizzard knows there is in general a smaller amount of people playing tanks/healers, so why release MORE guaranteed dps?
    I don't feel like balancing a pure class is harder than a hybrid. It's acually the other way around because you have to consider healing or defensive abilties instead of just focusing on dps.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhamses View Post
    As the title says; Are we destined to get another hybrid as the next class? Why or why not?
    Have to be? No

Will be? Most likely. There's just so much more you can do with a hybrid.

EJL

Would love to have a pure dps class with both a ranged and a melee spec.

Agree with everyone else. It doesn't HAVE to be, but it most likely will, as a hybrid class is going to be the one most likely to have something that appeals to ALL the player base. Some people prefer tanking to everything else, some people find healing the most fun thing to do, and other players simply want to kill things. A class that is pure DPS is not going to have as much appeal to people that that want to tank or heal, whereas a class that can fill at least 2 of those roles is more likely to appeal to a wider group of people than a class that can ONLY DPS. While it's true we may get another DPS/DPS/Tank or DPS/DPS/Heal class instead of a DPS/Heal/Tank, I don't really expect us getting another pure DPS.

And you're even less likely to have a pure heal/tank class as there are more people who want to DPS than there are who want to tank or heal, so even a pure DPS class is going to have a broader appeal than a pure heal/tank class would(likewise, Blizz wants people to be able to level via questing and grind dailies as well as doing dungeons, and since, generally, tanks and healers kill slower than DPS in a quest environment, you can pretty much bet ANY class released will have at least 1 DPS spec).

Well it doesn't HAVE to be, Blizzard can make whatever they want. However the two classes added to the game since launch have both been hybrids, and Blizzard has occasionally expressed dissatisfaction with the idea of "pure" DPS classes. I think if WoW was built from scratch today you'd see a lot more hybrids, or even a radical change to the whole holy trinity system.

So personally I expect any future classes to fulfil at least two roles if not all three.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DonQShot View Post
    I don't feel like balancing a pure class is harder than a hybrid. It's acually the other way around because you have to consider healing or defensive abilties instead of just focusing on dps.
    Actually DPS is harder because people expect to be able to PvP with all three specs, whereas most tanks and healers don't.

Also it's harder to make 3 DPS specs different and unique.

So in short, were not going to see another pure class in WoW.

I'm more hoping for a pure DPS class as we haven't seen one of those in a while.

The game needs another pure-melee dps class as there's only one; the rogue. There are however, three pure-caster dps classes; the mage, hunter, and warlock.

Deleted
    pure dps classes run a huge risk of having to similiar specs (looking at you rogues, poor bastards ) it's easier to create diversity if you use different roles. And in this case I would make a difference between melee and ranged. In my experience playing range is pretty different from playing melee.

Deleted
    Problem with pure class is that new players have NO IDEA that the endgame is about dps/tank/healer. They choose rogue or mage because the class looks cool, they level one, get achievements with it and grew attached to it but then, when they discover raid and try to join, they are often answered "sorry, we're looking for a healer, or a range dps, or a tank".
    Having the possibility to play multiple roles with the same class is a must.

And no, after investing months/years in a char, it's not simple to just say "well, lets just trash this one and level a new one".

Deleted
    Hybrid or not, I'd give a guess that it's gonna be a mail user, with atleast one specc using mai intellect gear, seeing as it's only shamans using that atm.