Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Not disagreeing with the range of skills used, just it being wrong that this is the first time some players will have used them.
    And I really wonder when again players will have a reason to do so again.
    Isn't this a problem with all of the other content, and not the Green Fire scenario? Doesn't this mean they did a good job on the Green Fire scenario?

Gear makes it quite a bit easier...almost from what I'd call "gold CM" to "silver CM". At 460/470/"low" ilvl you have to be spot on with mechanics. At 500+, especially 520+ you pretty much can do a half way job on mechanics and still kill him. Gear has already "nerfed" the content. Blizz should never have to do so.

In all fairness I don't think I had actually had cause to use enslave demon since BC (maulgar/gruul's??) though I did whip it out of the spellbook on tol barad once just to see what the mobs did. (wasn't impressed...remembered why it stayed in my spellbook for 2+ expansions). Blizz just doesn't do many demons over the last 3 expansions. Northrend didn't even see a demon until ToC's 2nd boss. Northrend is chock full of undead. Cata was humanoids/elementals.

Learning to use gateway is more common than just kanathred. Its pretty common fighting rarespawns, warbringers, and ofc raid content mobility. Using it as a threat dump on short CD is applicable to all 3x of the listed areas though. (eg h.tortos bats) Not something a "casual" might think of but common enough they'd likely pick it up somewhere.

I think kanathred was sort of a crash course in learning to warlock. If you had a good grasp of the class you adapted quickly. If you didn't you had a rough time. At lower gear levels its easily harder than the rogue legendary dagger or DTR quests. However it was completely doable at those lower skill levels if you used mechanics properly. Thus fotm/new/alt warlocks struggled but if you knew the class you could overcome.

Having decent gear gives you a lot more breathing room, that's all.

Given that they have the technology, I am quite surprised that Blizzard does not have a downscaling-mechanic in effect for that fight, which locks your gear to, say, i500. I think an exceptional fight like Kanrethad (be it easy or not, it is still the best solo encounter in the game) deserves to be preserved in a state of appropriate difficulty. After all, this is a cosmetic bonus, something to show off to people - it shouldn't be steamrollable by everyone tenacious enough to find (or buy) the tome.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never having played a warlock at max level until 90, I dinged May 10, and killed Kanrethad last night at i486. The encounter is incredibly unforgiving of any errors from my perspective. It took me about 3-4 hours of attempts over several days (somewhere in the region of 50-60 pulls), around the same it takes to learn a new Heroic raid boss(although the raid bosses are usually in one sitting).

Overall I say it's a well done encounter for the journeyman Warlock.

Deleted
    I wonder if they will leave the fight as is or take it out after MoP

Quote Originally Posted by Vellerix View Post
    I wonder if they will leave the fight as is or take it out after MoP

GC already said on Twitter that the current plan is to leave it completely unchanged going forward.

It has more to do with bragging than anything. Most who said it was easy overgeared the fight by 40ilvl at least OR they just want to enrage players who kept wiping 100+ times before giving up. They should try doing it at 470/480 ilvl...then we could all /lol at them

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Given that they have the technology, I am quite surprised that Blizzard does not have a downscaling-mechanic in effect for that fight, which locks your gear to, say, i500. I think an exceptional fight like Kanrethad (be it easy or not, it is still the best solo encounter in the game) deserves to be preserved in a state of appropriate difficulty. After all, this is a cosmetic bonus, something to show off to people - it shouldn't be steamrollable by everyone tenacious enough to find (or buy) the tome.
    For that same reason, vanity, I feel that it should eventually be steamrollable(sic).

Did it at 488 il. I don't consider unforgiving hard personally but I still enjoyed it though.

I did him today at ilvl 514. I found him fairly difficult as you first had to learn the mechanics of the fight, then executing it somewhat well (at least at my ilvl). All in all, it did take me a couple of hours and was fairly entertaining. I do not think that gear should be scaled down in order to maintain the difficulty though, as too much of that we might lose the feeling of becoming more powerful as we acquire more gear, which at least is important to me in an MMO (I still enjoy CMs, just don't want that in all aspects of the game).

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Not disagreeing with the range of skills used, just it being wrong that this is the first time some players will have used them.
    And I really wonder when again players will have a reason to do so again.
    Well, between the Fangs of the Father chain for Rogues in Cataclysm, and this one for Warlocks, it's strongly suggesting to me that Blizzard is experimenting with bringing back the old-style complex class-quest stuff like existed back in original WoW, and expanding them beyond their current heavily-diluted and across-the-board-identical versions, which are all variants of "grab stuff from SFK to get a weapon, then grab stuff from BRD to get a hat".

This can only be a good thing in my opinion.
    "Let's see. There are monkeys that evolved into men and monkeys that didn't. Just as well, there are men that remained men and men that evolved into something else. Do you really think humans are the ultimate form of evolution? How arrogant."
    --Kakurine, Evil Zone for PS1

Gear makes a hell of a lot of difference. I managed to get my first kill at 478 ilvl, I got the green fire but the scenario didn't get marked as completed.
    I spent 2 weeks gearing in LFR, came back with 490ish ilvl and it was much easier. I think the main reason was being able to get the fel hunters without having to micro the pit lord around the back to interrupt the main dude. Dealing with all the imps at the end was also much easier. I imagine these people going in with 500+ ilvl have a much easier time than newly dinged players.

Deleted
    Yeah gear definitely makes a difference not with the enrage timer but with the bursting of the adds. If gear didn't matter and it was about skill why then is everyone complaining the fight will nerf itself with time.

It's a pretty awesome fight IMO, just completed it on my ilevel 476 warlock - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHYpZLFuqak

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Leachim/simple

Felpuppies were a pain in the arse but I managed to get them down (without the use of the pit lord - would have been so much easier if I made him charge / breath them!) but seemed to be a bit buggy in my case with them dispelling enslave without them facing him.

Gear definitely would make it a lot easier, and in no way did I use super ultimate tactics or even concentrated on a decent rotation, I just went along with the fight.

edit

My play time on warlock is just over 5 days, and at 90 is nearing 2 days. So a relatively "new" / "unskilled" warlock does it in low gear with a "bad" strategy... it's definitely doable.
    Last edited by Yohassakura; 2013-05-19 at 03:55 PM.
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yohassakura View Post
    My play time on warlock is just over 5 days, and at 90 is nearing 2 days. So a relatively "new" / "unskilled" warlock does it in low gear with a "bad" strategy... it's definitely doable.
    That's about what mine was too. I got it to 90, bought a tome on the ah and ground out a bit of gear. Did it at ~480 ilvl with a mix of pvp/pve gear. I didn't use the pitlord on the felpuppies either. Just way too risky. I just popped havoc, dark soul, chaos bolt, SBx2 and CBed the last one. They really aren't too bad.
    Aelmagus
    <Delusions of Grandeur>
    [H] Runetotem - US

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Oh, PVP twinks. I thought this was about Anduin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    I am so triggered right now.

I did this fight last night with my ~515ilvl lock. I've been raiding on him as my main/main alt since mid-BC. While main raiding him in t14 I had producing decent WoL ranks until I had to switch to my Paladin tank, and starting to play him again I'm at an average 4/13HM, so I felt very comfortable going into the fight with my gear, and warlock experience. I watched the video's, and it always came down to the last stretch of a whole lot of bad stuff happening at once that made my demise.

I looked at it as a raid encounter and realized it was time to think outside the box. Strats that work for some groups but tweaked slightly can make a fight an overall pushover for other groups. After ignoring most of what the video had told me and going off of what I knew, I ran 1 test pull with my method to see if it worked. Dropped him right as the 2nd wave of imps started to come out. It would have been quicker but I played it safe at the end. No potion necessary, and rusty as destro.

I'm going to make a youtube 2nd strat option to show what I did, but if anyone has questions before it's up they can send me a pm or holler at me in game: Warbrokan#1138

10+ Year Old Account
    IMO it's just about being prepared. Some people like to experience things themselves and don't read up on things ahead of time because it'd ruin it for them. And obviously there's people who just want to get it done so they do a lot of research ahead of time. There's nothing wrong with either and it's just people's personal gaming styles. A lot of people had to do it when it very first came out and there wasn't much information on the fight as well.

I personally just wanted green fire. I love the color green and always thought warlocks would have been amazing with green fire. I finished leveling my lock after 5.2, bought a tome and ended up doing the green fire quest after getting a few pieces of PvP gear and trying to run ToES and HoF LFR for a shot at more gear. I ended up at around 474 ilevel and it took me 5 or so attempts to kill Karenthed. There is no way I would have been able to kill it in that many attempts without looking at a detailed video and being able to put together macros ahead of time. I dunno how many times I've had warlocks with green fire tell me they didn't even know the pit lord had a heal. Knowing about the heal makes the fight a lot easier but it's not really a skill/difficulty issue if you don't know about it and are still able to complete the boss.

In my opinion, they should make this fight scale with gear like challenge modes. And allow us to queue up to fight this boss as a solo scenario. I wouldn't mind fighting this guy again just for fun.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rubbishgames View Post
    In my opinion, they should make this fight scale with gear like challenge modes. And allow us to queue up to fight this boss as a solo scenario. I wouldn't mind fighting this guy again just for fun.
    I think if you go back to black temple to the door, you will be able to fight him again