Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Question No more progression for pvp anymore. Whats the point in pushing high ratings now?

Been playing this game since wrath. Back then every piece of gear had a rating requirement. Slowly blizzard started removing rating requirements from gear and now have completely gutted the pvp system so that their is absolutely no progression anymore. Unlike raiding where there is always progression the first weeks and months the raid opens and even after that their are still hard modes that give even better gear. I have always been a decent pvper. Nothing special never gotten glad but have always been above 2200-2300ish. So my question is whats the point in pushing high ratings anymore since you get absolutely NO reward for it other than just too play?

..titles, prestige, adding special tabards, cloaks, gear, etc for high ratings. Most people don't pvp for a gear grind. they pvp to pvp and gain the prestige that comes with being good at it. It's all for looks. They want pvp to be on an even field, as it should be. gear should not win fights for you.

Quote Originally Posted by resonance7982 View Post
    ..titles, prestige, adding special tabards, cloaks, gear, etc for high ratings. Most people don't pvp for a gear grind. they pvp to pvp and gain the prestige that comes with being good at it. It's all for looks. They want pvp to be on an even field, as it should be. gear should not win fights for you.

I couldn't agree more

Quote Originally Posted by Purenight View Post
    I couldn't agree more
    I'm actually considering trying out PvP again for the first time since TBC.

And when did "just to play" stop being an acceptable reason to participate in a competitive activity in a game?

This is like asking what the point of playing sports is if no one's going to give you a trophy. Don't you like competing?

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    This is like asking what the point of playing sports is if no one's going to give you a trophy. Don't you like competing?
    Exactly this. The point of PvP is the competition, not the reward. You climb rating to play against people of similar skill, and for your own pride.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'll link you to this thread: http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/2...e-gear-in-pvp/

same question answered by the blues!

basically there is gear progression - crafted -> honor -> conquest -> bonus cosmetic bits

play because its fun, play because you enjoy the challenge! once you get full conquest its about the competition, your gear is optimised for pvp - so pvp! push the high ratings and see if you can get gladiator or something.

While I really enjoy pvping just to pvp, I can say I miss some of the gear rating requirements and such. It was much more fun to have a real goal to push ratings up in different brackets and keep playing. As it exists now though, the system has become much more casual. It's basically like the ease of LFR, where you can damn near afk your way to pretty high level gear (which ruined pve, in my perspective).

Quote Originally Posted by Chestbrah View Post
    It's basically like the ease of LFR, where you can damn near afk your way to pretty high level gear (which ruined pve, in my perspective).
    Wait, what? High level gear? You mean 33 ilvls lower gear, not counting possible Thunderforged?

Quote Originally Posted by Milkwolfgang View Post
    Wait, what? High level gear? You mean 33 ilvls lower gear, not counting possible Thunderforged?

It might be 33 ilvls lower, but pve has reached the point where it really doesn't matter. The point is, you just sit and do nothing long enough and you get gear (bg's semi-afking/botting, LFR afking/botting, sitting in 1k rated arena teams and capping conquest to get full tyr, etc.) There's just much less of a point to achieving anything spectacular anymore, and the barrier to getting there is reduced as well. (which was part of the fun)

You can see and play all of the end game content without every being good at the game, which is sad. The need for skilled guilds has been reduced, the need for skilled pvpers has been as well. If all you want to do is play through content, you can LFR queue, never interact with a person, and down everything with your gimped LFR gear. Same with PvP. Sure you'll never see high ratings, but people don't care because it hardly gets you anything any more - which is the point of the thread.
    Last edited by Chestbrah; 2013-05-16 at 02:42 PM.

Afaik only shoulders and weapons had rating requirement in woltk the rest was purchasable with honor.

None. You are ultimately treated the same as the noob who finds a mate in trade every week for quick points. Blame the casuals that wanted to get the same gear above average players get, just like they want to get the same gear raiders get. PvP and PvE ruined because of spoiled kids.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by resonance7982 View Post
    Titles - RBG ones can be aquired once. Only thing worth in Arena is gladiator and once you got that covered it's also a moot point. Titles don't change in PvP except for rank 1 which is for 99,9999% of the people absolutely not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    Exactly this. The point of PvP is the competition, not the reward. You climb rating to play against people of similar skill, and for your own pride.
    Lies and more lies. Look at sport irl. People don't play just for the fun, there are millions in rewards and pay on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Birkhoff View Post
    None. You are ultimately treated the same as the noob who finds a mate in trade every week for quick points. Blame the casuals that wanted to get the same gear above average players get, just like they want to get the same gear raiders get. PvP and PvE ruined because of spoiled kids.
    The problem is, there isn't even any cosmectic reward. No mounts, no bonus titles, nothing else to show for. The only thing there is is pretty much stuff for rank 1, something that can by pure logic not be aquired by the vast mayority of people. So unless you're in the position to go for rank 1 there isn't any reason whatsoever to push ratings once you aquired the titles at any time since TBC since they never once changed.

Having an ugly cloak/tabard and a mount once a season solely for rank one simply isn't cutting it especially compared to PvE. You get mounts and stuff thrown at you in PvE for about everything, yet they can't be bothered to add several mounts per PvP season even if they'd be a simple recolour? (1.8 - 2,2 - 2,4 - gladiator).

Quote Originally Posted by Kipling View Post
    play because its fun, play because you enjoy the challenge! once you get full conquest its about the competition, your gear is optimised for pvp - so pvp! push the high ratings and see if you can get gladiator or something.
    Participation is down to the point where multi season gladiators are struggling to get an gladiator title because in a great many realm pools rank one is the only one even getting one nowadays. The number of people who got T2 through arena was a joke, because there weren't enough people to allow a lot of people to get high enough ratings forcing them into RBG.

Edit, are you that Kipling from Nordrassil?
    Last edited by mmoc5e6c40f22c; 2013-05-16 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    The problem is, there isn't even any cosmectic reward. No mounts, no bonus titles, nothing else to show for. The only thing there is is pretty much stuff for rank 1, something that can by pure logic not be aquired by the vast mayority of people. So unless you're in the position to go for rank 1 there isn't any reason whatsoever to push ratings once you aquired the titles at any time since TBC since they never once changed.

Having an ugly cloak/tabard and a mount once a season solely for rank one simply isn't cutting it especially compared to PvE. You get mounts and stuff thrown at you in PvE for about everything, yet they can't be bothered to add several mounts per PvP season even if they'd be a simple recolour? (1.8 - 2,2 - 2,4 - gladiator).
    Casuals would complain if we got mounts. They'd say it's elitist behavior to use and show it.

^^ this. Bring back some rewards into it and people will most certainly take the competition more seriously. Just think if professional sports no longer paid athletes. Sure, they love the game, but many would move on to other things by force or by choice.

Deleted
    Aren't they adding cosmetic gear back soon?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Birkhoff View Post
    Casuals would complain if we got mounts. They'd say it's elitist behavior to use and show it.
    Yeah, it's kinda like PvP turned into communism. Everyone gets everything as soon as they stroll over from their raid and get into line. No effort or actual success required anymore. I'm wondering when they do away with PvP titles and merely make them "X Arenas/RBGs played for Gladiator/High Warlord" with the named Gladiators just being "Played X Arena in Season Y".

Quote Originally Posted by Chestbrah View Post
    ^^ this. Bring back some rewards into it and people will most certainly take the competition more seriously. Just think if professional sports no longer paid athletes. Sure, they love the game, but many would move on to other things by force or by choice.
    Many would stop playing altogether. Just look at football, there are millions being paid to players just so they keep playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Garian View Post
    Aren't they adding cosmetic gear back soon?
    Cosmectic gear you're going to change each season just isn't going to cut it. It's nothing "lasting", nothing that "stays" with you. Add to that that most PvP stuff is character only. PvE often gives you several mounts per raid/patch and loads of titles whom you can use on any character.
    Last edited by mmoc5e6c40f22c; 2013-05-16 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Yeah, it's kinda like PvP turned into communism. Everyone gets everything as soon as they stroll over from their raid and get into line. No effort or actual success required anymore. I'm wondering when they do away with PvP titles and merely make them "X Arenas/RBGs played for Gladiator/High Warlord" with the named Gladiators just being "Played X Arena in Season Y".
    lol that is the day I officially quit

what I liked about wow is that it valued talent and skill. LFR already makes raiding almost effortless, every noob gets arena gear too. There's no sense of accomplishment anymore

Yeah because getting the gear is totally the part you remember of any season. It's supposed to be about having fun...
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Can't people play games for the sake of playing games anymore?