Poll: Would you eat insects on a regular basis?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hanketsu View Post
    Nope, I live in an advanced society. I'm at the top of the food chain.
    take a little hike through the mountains in the USA, have a walk around the everglades in Florida, some forests in India, or to a little bicycling in the Sahara... Let's see who is at the top of the food chain..
    In other words.... Grizzly Bears, Tigers, Lions, and Alligators want to have a word with you about that.... And then some other predators too.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    Maybe not in all cases, but in others it has everything to do with it. Do you know why fear of spiders is so common? It's because our ancient ancestors had to be careful of poisonous spiders in order to survive. We developed a fear for them in order to survive. Fear is often a sign of intelligence. Fear keeps you alive.

To a lesser extent I think fear of heights accomplished the same thing. It keeps people from getting into a dangerous situation.

Surely there are lots of phobias that aren't based on something being harmful, but are instead some psychological error or the brain messing up. But some phobias are perfectly explainable through evolution. If fear keeps you alive, then you are more likely to pass on your genes so more and more people have that same phobia.
    I'm very dubious that people that freak the hell out about spiders are the "progenitors of the master race."

And I've never bought the whole "it evolved out of necessity because people were afraid of venomous spiders." Lions, bears, and wolves were a much, MUCH more realistic threat than "a spider" to early societies. And yet people today (at least, very, very few, I'd reckon) don't flip out or cry when they see pictures (PICTURES) of lions, bears, and wolves.

I maintain that phobias are nothing more than weird quirks. People have phobias about birds. Other than cassowaries and other ratites, I don't think there are really ANY cases of a bird offing someone. Not historically, not now. And yet... People are afraid of them. Same with mice. "Oh but the mouse bite might have gotten infected." So? That was true for someone that cut their hand on a tree branch or a sharp rock. And yet most people don't freak out when they see sharp rocks or broken tree branches.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2013-05-17 at 10:33 PM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Voted maybe because I definitely would but only in a survival situation and I would NOT be happy about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    take a little hike through the mountains in the USA, have a walk around the everglades in Florida, some forests in India, or to a little bicycling in the Sahara... Let's see who is at the top of the food chain..
    In other words.... Grizzly Bears, Tigers, Lions, and Alligators want to have a word with you about that.... And then some other predators too.
    Actually, I'm the guy with the hunting rifle and those animal's heads on my wall. ^_^ Thanks for playing though.

OH! and let's not forget the Elephant, Rhino, etc. Cause they have big ol' horns and thick skin....wait, I can handle that too..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.700_Nitro_Express

Modern technology, ain't it great?
    Last edited by hanketsu; 2013-05-18 at 08:01 AM.

funny thing is, just about every country that is suffering from epidemic hunger already eats insects.
    Quote Originally Posted by tkjnz
    If memory serves me right, a fox is a female wolf.

Deleted
    I had a bag of deep fried crickets once. They were surprisingly quite tasty.

I don't think I'll be in the majority when I say I would't mind though. God forbid a solution to anything in this world should be "icky" or "uncomfortable"

The UN has about as much ability to make me eat bugs as they do to stop a genocide.

None.

The "yuk" factor would be too hard to overcome.

I would never eat insects. I don't eat much "normal" meat and if my husband ate more vegetables I'd go back to being vegetarian, but its annoying cooking two different meals so I eat some meat and tuna fish from a can. Honestly though meat of any type grosses me out.