*IDEA* New LFR Loot System -- NOT A QQ Thread!

Okay, everyone always asks for a new LFR loot system but they never propose an idea. I have an idea for this that I wanted to hear your thoughts on.

It would be a large, large project for Blizzard but I personally think it would rock. I would propose you implement a LFR-Wide DKP system of sorts, managed on the server-side of the game.

It would work something like this .. and mind you this would ONLY be implemented in LFR. You raid, you kill 9 bosses, you receive X amount of 'dkp' for the raid. It gets saved onto the server like any other currency.

When an item drops, you place a 'bid' using the points you have accumulated from your previous LFR runs. I haven't thought yet whether this bid would be public or whether it would be private but I think you get the idea...

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Sarnaxxx; 2013-05-16 at 05:46 PM.

Assuming you mean that we go back to drops on the boss (Cata) rather than individual rolls (now)?

So, GDKP in LFR?

Yeah, no. The amount of public outcry would be ridiculous. People would hoard up "currency" to wait on a trinket/weapon, and then explode when someone else had +1 more.

Perhaps good in theory (works well with an actual GDKP system), but in the presence of that much RNG, anonymity, and potential for abuse, it'd be chaos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

I don't see blizzard implementing something like this. The number of drops per boss would be limited which would cause players to complain about how slow it is to gear. The only scenario I can see this in is cross-realm normal modes and even then I find it unlikely to be something that would work very well.

In 5.3 there is going to be a system where you can choose to roll for offspec. Personally, I think this is going to be a bad idea since we already have problems with people not wanting to heal/tank in LFRs. This system would all but encourage would-be tanks (and healers) to not queue up as a tank (or healer), and simply queue up as a DPS but choose their tank specialization for loot rolls.

With this in mind, I've thought about a solution that would be easy to implement. Implement a "Call to Arms" feature for LFR, but instead of giving players who accept the CtA a bag full of semi-useful junk, give them a Mogu Rune of Fate once the run is complete. That way they get an extra roll on their next boss kill...

Quote Originally Posted by Javster View Post
    In 5.3 there is going to be a system where you can choose to roll for offspec. Personally, I think this is going to be a bad idea since we already have problems with people not wanting to heal/tank in LFRs. This system would all but encourage would-be tanks (and healers) to not queue up as a tank (or healer), and simply queue up as a DPS but choose their tank specialization for loot rolls.
    Eh...wat? This should actually have the OPPOSITE effect. Most Paladin tanks, for example, are forced to go to LFR as Ret, since the gear itemization for Prot is utter shit. So this will give them a chance to go and actually tank, but roll "properly". Additionally, most folks now use a tank or healer-capable friend to queue them and leave. By allowing healers to come in and roll on DPS items, you can expect an increase in the healer population as well. It may not be a marked increase, but it will be something.

With this in mind, I've thought about a solution that would be easy to implement. Implement a "Call to Arms" feature for LFR, but instead of giving players who accept the CtA a bag full of semi-useful junk, give them a Mogu Rune of Fate once the run is complete. That way they get an extra roll on their next boss kill...
    Hmmm. I like this except for the fact that it means ANY "progression minded" player WILL be forced to run LFR as a "CTA role" to get extra rolls to use in real raid. Unless you make the Mogu rune an LFR-only version, anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Javster View Post

People abuse the current system as it is anyway by queueing up (more commonly for healer) for the instant queue, then just not healing. At all. Or queueing tank or healer with almost NO gear to support it, and having to be dragged / boosted through the raid doing 15k hps so they can gear their offspec.

If this get rids of those clowns it's fine by me, although they will only be replaced by dps players, queueing for a tank / healing role they are totally frigging awful at, for the instant queue.

Oh well :P The joys of LFR!

10+ Year Old Account
    Loot being independent of other players is the best thing happening to LFR between cata and mists. The players you group with are 100% random. They should not affect the chance of you getting loot, especially because this would mean you would have to leave a group and requeue, if an item that 25% of average players can use, can be wanted by over 40% in your current group. It would be 100% about queueing together with people that do not need loot (example: running dragon soul LFR with 24 alts and 1 main, main gets all loot that drops, repeat with someone else's main), which is fixed with the new system.

Bidding requires other people to be involved, otherwise it'd be bidding against RNG or something along those lines, which is basically in all respects a worse system than what is currently in place.

Your system should still be able to give you the same chance at loot, no matter whether you do it with 25 people, or if you would theoretically solo the boss.
    Ex-GM and Raidleader of the MoX Purple Kittens Raidteam on Twisting Nether (formerly Grim Batol), RIP, Winter 2010 - Spring 2013.
    Armory. WoWProgress. Might start streaming Soon(tm) http://twitch.tv/szem/

how would you like to be grouped with 10 other players with your class and spec and then have to bid against all of them? while your friend is the only one in his class/spec and doesn't have to bid against anyone? People would be bitching on the boards once they found out that other players in their own class/spec got an item for 5 DKP while they had to use all 500 of theirs to get one because of the bad raid comp they were unlucky enough to have. BLIZZARD, FIX HAVING TOO MANY OF ONE CLASS IN A LFR!!!