Poll: Thoughts?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I think the world has a good sized population for now and for the next century at least. Once we get into the 20 billion range we will have problems due to the multiplicative increases in population that will begin to occur. And as resources and land becomes more scarce, humans will go back to killing each other for them.

Quote Originally Posted by looorg View Post
    How do you plan on enforcing this "birth license"? Like China does/did it? Are you going to fine people that don't apply? What about accidental pregnancies? Forced abortions? Prison? Will there be a growing portion of the population living in some kinda of parallell society where they remained unregistered? How are we going to get the whole world to subscribe to that idea. Will the man or woman apply or will it be a married couples thing only? If I as a man impregnate two women have their used up their license but mine is still vaild or? How did you imagine that this birth license would work, or was it just a test that you pass and then you can go about breeding like bunnies?
    Anyone who has children without permission of the state will be executed and have their children sent to labour camps. Fear will keep the locals in line.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Daishi View Post
    Anyone who has children without permission of the state will be executed and have their children sent to labour camps. Fear will keep the locals in line.
    haha so happy you got internet again Kim Jung!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by looorg View Post
    How do you plan on enforcing this "birth license"? Like China does/did it? Are you going to fine people that don't apply? What about accidental pregnancies? Forced abortions? Prison? Will there be a growing portion of the population living in some kinda of parallell society where they remained unregistered? How are we going to get the whole world to subscribe to that idea. Will the man or woman apply or will it be a married couples thing only? If I as a man impregnate two women have their used up their license but mine is still vaild or? How did you imagine that this birth license would work, or was it just a test that you pass and then you can go about breeding like bunnies?
    That's the part where I said good fucking luck getting it to go anywhere.

Let's say for instance that the United States and ONLY the United States goes along with this. For ease of use, let's say the population of the US is 300 million. Congratulations! You now have rationed the reproduction of 300 million people. What about the rest of the world?

Deleted
    You'd love North Korea and maybe Nazi Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by Strakha View Post
    haha so happy you got internet again Kim Jung!
    I think what you meant to say was:
    "Finally some common sense!"

As terrible as it may sound, the world would be a better place if a few billion people died off. I'm not saying we should commit genocide or anything, merely pointing this out. Do you think we would be better or worse off with a more sustainable populace?
    You're not saying we should commit genocide, yet you're not saying we shouldn't... Provide reasons why you think we should depopulate, otherwise you just sound like a Nazi who thinks he and his fellows are the "pure" race. After all, they did share your same view on depopulation. I think we should populate some more. Build more homes, cities, and hopefully even expand into other planets as well.
    Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

Agreed. In order to receive a birth license, you would have to take a series of tests to prove that you're intelligent enough to breed.
    Who would administer these tests? I would deny any liberal person and liberals would deny me based on being right wing. It would have to be some sophisticated non biased computer program, and even that would have its own problems.

India and China just need to take one for the team and lose 800 million people each, its pretty insane, china is 1.3 billion, India 1.2 billion, then USA #3 at like 320 million. Africa is also getting too populated in comparison to what they can support.

Deleted
    I think what you meant to say was:
    "Finally some common sense!"
    Ahh yes, birth licensing.

I will support it, only if you exempt yourself from a license permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    The Earth can hold about 60 billion.
    Source on that please. Else me saying that Earth can't sustain 7 billion is just as valid. Birth licenses should only be enforced on those who can't support themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Quote Originally Posted by Basemath View Post
    You're not saying we should commit genocide, yet you're not saying we shouldn't... Provide reasons why you think we should depopulate, otherwise you just sound like a Nazi who thinks he and his fellows are the "pure" race. After all, they did share your same view on depopulation. I think we should populate some more. Build more homes, cities, and hopefully even expand into other planets as well.
    The degenerates have plagued our Mother for far too long. Only her true children, the glorious PC gaming master race, are worthy of life.

Yes, the Earth would be far better off with a few billion less people.

Space exploration, STAT!

10+ Year Old Account
    licences should be means tested! The more you are worth the more children you can have. viola problem solved.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

Currently achieved agricultural yields could feed up to 100 billion people. The ultimate technological limit (set by waste heat dissipation) for the global population is around 1 trillion.

Having lots of people means economies of scale in creation of intellectual assets. The more potential consumers there are, the larger niche markets become, and the more can be invested in inventing products and services to fill those niche needs. Also, the higher the population, the more minds there are working on problems, and the faster problems are solved.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Deleted
    not 100% on topic, but very well invested 9 minutes and 52 seconds
    /watch?v=HsAracLBCxI

Better off with less people, yes.

Sustainable implies not only could grow food indefinitely for that many people, but also that the human impacts on the ecosystem (aka global warming) still allow you to grow food at all. I've seen no evidence that humanity can be climate neutral at 60 billion people, considering we aren't pulling it off at 7 billion.

"The Earth" is not alive. It has no interests. An "untouched, natural paradise" is something humans enjoy, not the planet. So Earth cannot be "better off" either way.

Only people can be better off, and it seems obvious that those who would have to die would not like their fate, whereas those that remain would have both advantages and disadvantages. In many regions of the world a smaller population would be clearly a bad thing.

Either way, if at some point the world population grows beyond what the planet can sustain, it will self-regulate anyway.

Agreed. In order to receive a birth license, you would have to take a series of tests to prove that you're intelligent enough to breed.
    Disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Sunrise View Post
    Uhhh... Probably.

I'd say birth licenses would probably be a better way of controlling the population (of course, that sort of system depends on making a worldwide alliance- good luck with that shit).
    If a world-wide alliance would result in the abolishment of basic freedoms, such as being able to have kids, I'd be calling to arms.

Out of curiosity, how would one aquire such a license?

10+ Year Old Account
    Fear will keep the locals in line.
    Do you intend to build some sort of battle station?

10+ Year Old Account
    The degenerates have plagued our Mother for far too long. Only her true children, the glorious PC gaming master race, are worthy of life.
    Suffer not the Xboxer to live!

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters