Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Is it just me or...

My guild went into ToT a bit undergeared, as such, the first few weeks on Horridon were absolutely horrible. Seriously... I have nightmares. But once we got it down we run through him like he is nothing now. I was curious to know if anyone has this same, sinking feeling I get everytime they go up against this boss. I know we can do it, we have killed him without wiping every time since our first kill. But in the back of my head is that little voice telling me if something goes wrong we are all basically screwed. It's like I can't confidently go into this encounter or something for some reason. So yeah, anyone else got a feeling like this for Horridon or maybe another boss in ToT? Just interested.... slow boring day at work here.

For those with low experience or gear, Horridon is definitely a huge step up from Jin'rokh. Jin'rokh is almost like a trick to people just stepping in, you down him and you're like oh this place ain't so bad, and then Horridon steps it up a lot in the numbers requirements.

Can't say I share the same feeling though. He's not too bad. Even for heroic I feel like people put him a bit too high in difficulty. Might just be that we overgeared it too much compared to people who were in the first waves of heroic kills.

um, I don't get that feeling. I do get a small amount annoyed when we wipe on an easy boss but I never show it. Horridon is basically all about your dps. as your dps get gear the fight becomes more and more of a joke.

---------- Post added 2013-05-16 at 03:11 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Spiralphoenix View Post
    Can't say I share the same feeling though. He's not too bad. Even for heroic I feel like people put him a bit too high in difficulty. Might just be that we overgeared it too much compared to people who were in the first waves of heroic kills.
    heroic horridon was quite hard the a lot of people first pulling it. enrage timer was relevant and such, gear makes a HUGE difference on the fight because basically all it is is a dps fight.

Horridon is just as much a DPS check as any of the T14 bosses are, it's just not a hard enrage like Garalon or Elegon. When your DPS can kill stuff before bad things happen the fight becomes a joke and easily repetable.

Bosses like Durumu and Lei Shen are far harder to repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Noorri View Post
    Horridon is just as much a DPS check as any of the T14 bosses are, it's just not a hard enrage like Garalon or Elegon.
    Heroic Horridon (at least 10m) was definitely a hard enrage the first few weeks before we got a bunch of gear and it was hotfix nerfed.

Anyways, Horridon doesn't worry me anymore. It's one of the easier bosses on farm. H DA and H Lei Shen worry me a bit, but that just puts me more on my game.

Deleted
    I think the bigger problem with horridon is the fight duration. The longer the fight, the longer time you can mess up, and having a 10-12 minute fight, a second fight seems way to long. And no elitists, does not matter if you kill it in 7 or 8 minute with your gear, for new guilds, it is most likely a 10+ minute fight.

I would rather have seen the fight tuned a bit harder and shorter. Like only 2 gates, but slightly harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    I think the bigger problem with horridon is the fight duration. The longer the fight, the longer time you can mess up, and having a 10-12 minute fight, a second fight seems way to long. And no elitists, does not matter if you kill it in 7 or 8 minute with your gear, for new guilds, it is most likely a 10+ minute fight.

I would rather have seen the fight tuned a bit harder and shorter. Like only 2 gates, but slightly harder.
    Agreed, they could have even done 2 gates randomly with each reset. Then make HM an all 4 gates thing.

I get that feeling with Durumu, just before the second Life Drain goes out in the beam phase. PTSD.

And I love the idea of normal Horridon being 2 random gates.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
    Heroic Horridon (at least 10m) was definitely a hard enrage the first few weeks before we got a bunch of gear and it was hotfix nerfed.

Anyways, Horridon doesn't worry me anymore. It's one of the easier bosses on farm. H DA and H Lei Shen worry me a bit, but that just puts me more on my game.
    I wouldn't know about heroic, I was mainly talking about normal. I assumed the OP meant normal.

Deleted
    Horridon was nice and easy for us (even tho we went in undergeared as well). We even killed the council pre-nerf (first week). But from that point it was a mess. I could not stand tortos for the first 3 rekills as we had so much stress on him. But everytime we get to Durumu ... even now.. i just get the creeps. Hate the boss. There are so many things that can wipe your raid ... and with our incomplete rooster ... taking every week a new guy. It is a disaster! I wish they would leave this one out. =.=

I still despise Tortos, even though we pretty steadily roll through him. I'm the designated turtle-kicker,and there's just so many random things that can go wrong and blow the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Madcloud View Post
    So yeah, anyone else got a feeling like this for Horridon or maybe another boss in ToT? Just interested.... slow boring day at work here.
    Wait till you try Heroic. Very punishing fight compared to Normal. As a Tank....last phase is so not fun.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by braeldiil View Post
    I still despise Tortos, even though we pretty steadily roll through him. I'm the designated turtle-kicker,and there's just so many random things that can go wrong and blow the fight.
    Sorry but what is random about tortos? Everything is predictable with timers.

Quote Originally Posted by Berserk157 View Post
    Wait till you try Heroic. Very punishing fight compared to Normal. As a Tank....last phase is so not fun.
    What? As a tank, the last phase is amazing! Pop all CD's (DPS and defensive), tank Jalak and Horridon, and watch your DPS go through the roof!

OT: The fight that I hate the most is Primordius HC. HATE. HATE HAET! I don't know why, we can easily stomp on Durumu HC, Council HC, hell we even 4shot Twins HC on our first night....but Primo. Oh, Primo. Took us 90+ wipes (mostly due to stupid BrM troll-taunt-runspeed-shenanigans) and caused much rage. I still don't really like Megaera HC either when we don't use 2x disc priests.

Learning HC DA now, and I love it personally (tanking 3 adds gives me retard-stronk vengeance), but I can tell it's going to be a high-ranking "do not want" fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

Sorry but what is random about tortos? Everything is predictable with timers.
    Let's see - the final resting spot of the turtles, which messes with when you need to kick, and can make it tricky when a bunch of turtle end up piled.

The tank getting knocked far enough up by the stomp that Tortos's energy spikes suddenly - almost wiped to that this week.

Rockfalls piling up on the planned kick target - I had to disperse and eat 4 last week to get a kick off.

Getting sniped by a spinning turtle at a bad moment.

Having a cascade in the air when bats spawn.

Etc, etc, etc. Individually, they're all pretty low probability, but stack up enough 1% chances and something will eventually happen

Quote Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
    Learning HC DA now, and I love it personally (tanking 3 adds gives me retard-stronk vengeance), but I can tell it's going to be a high-ranking "do not want" fight.
    No waaaaay. I'm not a tank, but H DA is one of my favorite fights this tier. Even though we wiped way too much to it this week, it's an awesome fight. If you haven't made it to the last 2m yet, that's when it gets insanely fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
    No waaaaay. I'm not a tank, but H DA is one of my favorite fights this tier. Even though we wiped way too much to it this week, it's an awesome fight. If you haven't made it to the last 2m yet, that's when it gets insanely fun.
    Probably, it's certainly more interesting than our Normal strat (ignore all mechanics and just burn boss). Like I said, I love it so far. I was bursting nearly 1.6mil DPS in the opening, so I'm 100% on board with that We'll be working on it again tonight, and should get to the last bit with our new strat, so I'll have to report back.

We just have a track record of doing really well on the first kill, then dicking around too much the next week(s) and wiping to dumb shit a lot. Makes me a sad/mad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

10+ Year Old Account
    It isn't ToT, but still a raid. When we had newbies in our Guild raids @ Spine of Deathwing. They would ALWAYS get spun off. Once it was so bad, the same 2 people were spun off Every. Single. Time, while the other newbs were spun off randomly halfway into the fight.

That was the first time we wiped in weeks (and we must have wiped like 5+ times), because so many core people were offline that night. Not fun.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by braeldiil View Post
    Let's see - the final resting spot of the turtles, which messes with when you need to kick, and can make it tricky when a bunch of turtle end up piled.

The tank getting knocked far enough up by the stomp that Tortos's energy spikes suddenly - almost wiped to that this week.

Rockfalls piling up on the planned kick target - I had to disperse and eat 4 last week to get a kick off.

Getting sniped by a spinning turtle at a bad moment.

Having a cascade in the air when bats spawn.

Etc, etc, etc. Individually, they're all pretty low probability, but stack up enough 1% chances and something will eventually happen
    Nothing of that is random. There are timers for that / predictability for all of that.

Deleted
    Nothing of that is random. There are timers for that / predictability for all of that.
    Not really. You tell me how you controll where a turtle will die? Dps just have to instantly stop their Dot's when it randomly turns around and is charging the wall? And how do you predict which person a lot of rockfalls will spawn near?

There are ways to reduce the chance of said things happening and being a problem to the raid, but there is no way to eliminate that chance!