Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Best Spec At the Moment? BM or Survival?

Hey

I was just curious as to what is flat out the best DPS spec right now In Throne of Thunder

Been seeing alot of the top ends playing Survival whereas the Sims Suggest Beast Mastery?

Any Reasoning behind this

Beast Mastery is best when your pet has 100% uptime on a stationary target, which is not true of every fight. Survival has much better AoE and many feel like the overall kit is better for raiding.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eremor View Post
    Hey

I was just curious as to what is flat out the best DPS spec right now In Throne of Thunder

Been seeing alot of the top ends playing Survival whereas the Sims Suggest Beast Mastery?

Any Reasoning behind this
    It all depends on the fight more or less.

Play both and switch when it makes sense to do so.

I was switching back and forth for the longest time, based on the fight. But, over time I've stopped switching to BM and stayed SV and have been doing ok.

Survival is best all around, but BM has it's moments. I only use BM for lul ranks and Mag/Durumu.

Edit: +Primodius for BM, forgot about that guy.
    Last edited by Jeremypwnz; 2013-05-17 at 06:28 AM.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    If you want to really optimize your output to the last minimal dps gain, you need to play both, and play them equally well. If you want to stay with 1 spec (like I currently do, but we'll see what happens when 5.3 is released), Survival is superior for the majority of fights, and only slightly behind BM on the others.

I am staying pure SV til I get to around 530ilvl. Then when I will switch from crit>haste to haste/crit I will go BM for some fights. The difference between these 2 specs is just so low. Even with my gear 523 FD is simming 152k for SV and 153k for BM.

I play mostly survival now,unless the fight requires some bursting or something(in which bm is better by far)

Deleted
    General BM got higher single target dps (about 10%) than survival. Although when there are mechanics involvning aoeing adds then survival will be far superior due to multishot and srs spread. Also BM is prob equal to survival on fights where target switching is needed (due to pet has to move). This all will change in 5.3 though cause of pets having 30 yards range on all attacks, also beastial cleave and blink strikes being buffed. BM will probably be close or on par with survival even on aoe fights.

Quote Originally Posted by Syrdin View Post
    General BM got higher single target dps (about 10%) than survival. Although when there are mechanics involvning aoeing adds then survival will be far superior due to multishot and srs spread. Also BM is prob equal to survival on fights where target switching is needed (due to pet has to move). This all will change in 5.3 though cause of pets having 30 yards range on all attacks, also beastial cleave and blink strikes being buffed. BM will probably be close or on par with survival even on aoe fights.
    http://simulationcraft.org/520/Raid_T15H.html

It's about 5% right now. 5.3 will like bring SV up even more as the Rabid change benefits SV and doesn't affect BM at all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by 3clipse View Post

It's about 5% right now. 5.3 will like bring SV up even more as the Rabid change benefits SV and doesn't affect BM at all.
    Well im speaking for myself. Survival sims 155k patchwerk and Bm sims out 175k patchwerk, leaving it to almost 15% higher. (ilvl 529)
    Also with blink strikes the pet will have close to 100% uptime on targets whereas atm pets can be really stupid when target switching (durumu for example) losing a lot of uptime on dps. (And the pet stands for 40-60% of a hunters DPS)

Stick with the spec you play better. I prefer SV so I stick with it. BM is better burst, but I find that trash and target switching lowers my BM output to below SV.

Beast Mastery is best when your pet has 100% uptime on a stationary target, which is not true of every fight. Survival has much better AoE and many feel like the overall kit is better for raiding.
    And this will change dramatically with 5.3 with blink strikes and beast cleave buff. BM is probably going to be our best spec overall, except for the very few like Horridon and Tortos if you kill adds.

The rabid change is a slight nerf to BM fyi.

Signature by Geekissexy Check out her Deviantart

I play SV for everything. I played BM for Twins and Iron Qon Progression.

Quote Originally Posted by Tehstool View Post
    what's the rabid change you're speaking of? haven't anything for it on the notes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehstool View Post
    yea but the new blink strikes compensates it by far.

BM is clearly better than sv in single target (with the exception of jinrok coz BW lines bad with pools), the problem is that 90% of fights have multiple targets which favors sv a lot.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mokuton View Post
    yea but the new blink strikes compensates it by far.

BM is clearly better than sv in single target (with the exception of jinrok coz BW lines bad with pools), the problem is that 90% of fights have multiple targets which favors sv a lot.
    With the increased AP, blink strikes and more beast cleave damage, I'm sure that SV will be last in both aoe and single target.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hikashuri View Post
    With the increased AP, blink strikes and more beast cleave damage, I'm sure that SV will be last in both aoe and single target.
    You think a slight buff to Beast Cleave will make BM overtake Surv in AoE, when it's miles behind right now?