This show is un-fucking-believable.

Feels like the show was trying to turn itself into a comedy this episode, but falling horribly flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    Feels like the show was trying to turn itself into a comedy this episode, but falling horribly flat.
    I don't know how you've not noticed but each episode this season is modeled after the most popular media of the time period it takes place in. This last episode was styled in the style of campy 80's TV shows and movies. I thought it was pretty fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    I don't know how you've not noticed but each episode this season is modeled after the most popular media of the time period it takes place in. This last episode was styled in the style of campy 80's TV shows and movies. I thought it was pretty fantastic.
    I'm not sure how you think I could have not noticed that or think that somehow applies to my comment. IMO, this was easily the worst episode of the season.

Literally devoting a large segment to a band performing the entire song from the Breakfast Club in a Back to the Future like reference just seemed like they were desperate to pad out the run time with this one bit. It's nice to nostalgia bait for the people who get off on that stuff, but for everyone else, it just falls flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    I'm not sure how you think I could have not noticed that or think that somehow applies to my comment. IMO, this was easily the worst episode of the season.

Literally devoting a large segment to a band performing the entire song from the Breakfast Club in a Back to the Future like reference just seemed like they were desperate to pad out the run time with this one bit. It's nice to nostalgia bait for the people who get off on that stuff, but for everyone else, it just falls flat.
    I thought it was more to hammer home that Deke is really what Mack said: Peter Pan trapped in a time he doesn't fully understand and all his "innovations" are just copies that he claimed as his own. I agree they shouldn't have played the ENTIRE song but it was still some good character development if you ask me because it helps Deke realize near the end of the episode that he needs to stand on his own rather than using other's triumphs to keep him standing.

I see what they were going for, but easily one of the worst episodes.

Yeah, as I watched the episode I was thinking the whole time ''this is the worst episode of this season'', and mostly cause it was revolved around Mack, too much screen time for him, and I don't like his character.

" So much lost time... that you'll never get back!"....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrada View Post
    Yeah, as I watched the episode I was thinking the whole time ''this is the worst episode of this season'', and mostly cause it was revolved around Mack, too much screen time for him, and I don't like his character.
    This. It was rather cheesy but I get that since 80s were, cheesy. But my god, one of the worst episodes to date.
    -K

Havent seen this in a couple of years, is it worth to try it again. I know i must have skipped it for a reason, is there a season to avoid or its just not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodonius View Post
    Havent seen this in a couple of years, is it worth to try it again. I know i must have skipped it for a reason, is there a season to avoid or its just not for me.
    Honestly, I skipped the first season after having watched maybe 1, 2 episodes. I came back to the series a couple of years later starting from the second season, and so far, I've been really enjoying the show.

" So much lost time... that you'll never get back!"....

Well I do like his character and for me his stuff was stellar. Deke otoh smelled like a 2 week old carp. Not even close to funny.

I didn't mind Mack as much as the meme murder robots and Deke's crew of utter incompetence lol

Honestly, I skipped the first season after having watched maybe 1, 2 episodes. I came back to the series a couple of years later starting from the second season, and so far, I've been really enjoying the show.
    You missed out on Bill Paxton then.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    As a child of the 80s I can appreciate the 80s vibe of the last episode; however, agreed with others here that it was "too much too cheesy too silly." And I've ENJOYED their other larks into the decades. They could have done more with this episode rather than 'wool gathering' (which to me is what the first half hour was) on the decade references and instead focused on the plot/action (as in the prior episodes of other decades).

But felt like they were cramming wayyyyy too much into that 1 hour of tv, so definitely the weakest of this season and of several seasons IMO.

I think it would have been better served to skip the whole "Mack grief for a year or two?" montage (not to mention the idea of abandoning your one team member from your own time to the "whatever happens happens" of the 1980s) and get them both right into the old base and figuring out how to move forward - work Mack's grief into that part with a few side conversations and stares into the abyss and come up with something a little more scary than "Short Circuit" robots for people to attack.

I mean "War Games" shows that the 80s computer system had access to nuclear warhead facilities - how much more interesting would it have been to have Cybil (whatever the chromicon's name is) hijack the nuke system and they had to stop her. Though I guess the 'blue box" she got away with (?) means she knew those robots wouldn't do anything but still... those robots. Oyvey.

I was laughing at the "somewhat changed" lyrics of TBC theme song - that did crack me up. But no, they really didn't need to do all that. It was a bit much.

I don't judge too harshly at the end though - its their last season; I don't blame them for just having fun with it all. But I still would have liked a better episode. ha.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

Now this week's episode was much better, back to the quality I expected from this show.

Kora... the eye glowing fire bending woman... and is not at all related to similarly named Avatars from a different show.

10+ Year Old Account
    The 80s episode was intentionally cheesy, because the 80s were cheesy. People love pretending the 80s never happened. They did happen, they were cheesy, and I loved everything about the episode once they got to the base. The worst part of the episode was, regrettably, Mack's "mourning". Which makes me sad because I wanted that to be something powerful and emotional....and it was tossed under the rug in the first 10 minutes.

Though, one question, was the fake beard intentionally made to be obvious or do I just have high standards for fake beards?

And, at the end of the day, it's their final season. This is their swan song. Let them have their fun...even if they add cheese. =-P
    Last edited by De Lupe; 2020-07-16 at 10:47 PM.
    US - Eitrigg - <Bank Space is Magic>
    Delupi, Amoora, Jisu, Beahru, Rusa, Yeun, Neralyis, Usii, Razzil, Zaramja, Oshaz, Shawnie, Iziss, Gearsi(A)

Quote Originally Posted by De Lupe View Post
    The 80s episode was intentionally cheesy, because the 80s were cheesy. People love pretending the 80s never happened. They did happen, they were cheesy, and I loved everything about the episode once they got to the base. The worst part of the episode was, regrettably, Mack's "mourning". Which makes me sad because I wanted that to be something powerful and emotional....and it was tossed under the rug in the first 10 minutes.

Though, one question, was the fake beard intentionally made to be obvious or do I just have high standards for fake beards?

And, at the end of the day, it's their final season. This is their swan song. Let them have their fun...even if they add cheese. =-P
    Hey I liked the 80's ! It sure as !@#$% beat the disco 70's.

Apparently next week's episode is Elizabeth Henstridge's directorial debut. Looking forward to that.

Well, that episode is currently sitting on 9.8 average score on IMDB, and for good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    Well, that episode is currently sitting on 9.8 average score on IMDB, and for good reason.
    I don't think you can do that sort of episode much better and fwiw Joel Stouffer deserves an Emmy nomination.