Starting Wow again, need some advice.

Hello there MMO-CHAMPS!

Ive quitted wow after i got my legendary at Firelands, so that was a few months before the deathwing patch because i was getting tired with the game after playing for years and years.

Recently been checking out stuff that is happening or going to happing (garrosh and stuff) and im wondering; IF i come back should i start over a new char because so much has changed, or is it still relatively the same as in Cataclysm?

I'm afraid i am being to nostalgic and the game is going to be a bummer.

Have you guys got any tips, advice, something i should check out or do?

Story-wise there's a lot going on. Best thing to do is just to go to wowpedia.org and read all the articles and links in the patches. Mogu, sha, jaina, vol'jin, etc. Even Lor'themar is relevant.

There's nothing you can get from pre-85 content, so I don't see a point in making a new character. Specs have changed, but if you're a decent player it doesn't take 85 levels to figure it out.

Once you get to 90, you want to go to the isle of thunder as quick as possible. Kill a few rares (they spawn fairly quickly and there's a VERY high density of them. just ask in general where some are) to get a purple key, which is used to go into the Trove of the Thunder King. you can get 10-15 charms, which are used for additional rolls on pre5.2 bosses and super useful for gearing up. You also want to do 25 dailies a week minimum for the weekly to get charms for the 5.2 bosses. I wouldn't recommend doing the dailies for 5.0 since the rep gear you'll replace super quick. Valor cap every week, and finish the initial isle of thunder questline (not dailies). Run all the world bosses each week (Nalak, Sha, Warband, big dinosaur) and they drop loot that is unique to each player (like gw2). As in, there's no need/greed system for those (or LFR).

Also, it's probably beneficial to not spam dungeons to level. The questlines are relevant for rep (if you want klaxi or something, you get to honored or revered just from questing) and just general navigation and knowing where everything is.

Oh, and finally, you can use the charms on bosses you've already done. So if you need a drop from Garalon, but already killed him, if you havea charm you can use it and still have a chance to get loot.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2013-05-18 at 02:55 PM.

It really depends on what your gaming style is like, and what you get from WoW. As stated the classes playstyles have changed, but that doesn't warrant a reroll.

Raiding is better in my opinion. If you are into Dailies then you have just arrived at heaven, opposite if you dislike!

The story line is fairly good for what I pay attention of it, unless you are a warlock, then the green fire quest is epic simply put.

The world of Pandaria is different, just don't expect to fly through it. - Pun intended. It's a long leveling process until... Next Week? Whenever 5.3 hits and there is a nerf to XP required for leveling, and no flying mounts until 90. I myself quit at the endish of cata and came back for mop. Glad that I did.

Thanks ! I'm getting excited to actually just do it and get the exp and some playtime and have fun

Exp nerf could be a good thing, to be fair when Pandaria was announced it was a huge bummer for me, for now were further into the expansion things might have changed for the better of it.

Herald of the Titans Amaterasu65's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Well, in my opinion, you should start it, but it's gonna feel monotonous when you get bored of the repeating cycle of valor/conquest cap. So manage your time and try to find a guild that's gonna raid/rated bg so you keep yourself entertained. If you get insanely bored after caps, try battle pets, they are something in such cases x)

As of this week's maintenance, the leveling requirement to get from 85-90 is reduced by 33%. That's definitely a good thing. I recently started leveling a new character, on a different realm and faction after my last guild disbanded. I was having a great old time, until level 85 on Pandaria. It just takes sooooo freaking loooong.

Thankfully, it won't be so bad after this week. But I digress.

Not much has changed. You can definitely shine off your old character. You'll notice talent trees are gone, and some abilities are now tied into different specs, but most classes retain similarities (apart from Warlocks. They got changed a bit more for each spec). If you're in Firelands gear, then you'll also have no issue. From memory Firelands gear is ilvl 372. Once you reach the Pandaria continent, in some of the early villages you visit there are Adventurer Gear vendors that sell ilvl 372 gear too.

When you get to 90, that's where the grind begins however. You'll do the normal heroic dungeon running for gear, but Justice Points are pretty useless now. Convert them straight into Honor points and buy the ilvl 472 Epic PVP gear. PVP gear is now on par with PVE gear of the same ilvl. It's not like it used to be, where resilience counted towards an item's stat budget. You can still spend Valor points, but MOST valor gear is gated behind a reputation you will need to grind though daily quests. (Can't equip a tabard and dungeon run for reputation anymore).
    Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime?

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoef View Post
    Hello there MMO-CHAMPS!

Ive quitted wow after i got my legendary at Firelands, so that was a few months before the deathwing patch because i was getting tired with the game after playing for years and years.

Recently been checking out stuff that is happening or going to happing (garrosh and stuff) and im wondering; IF i come back should i start over a new char because so much has changed, or is it still relatively the same as in Cataclysm?

I'm afraid i am being to nostalgic and the game is going to be a bummer.

Have you guys got any tips, advice, something i should check out or do?
    Things have improved compared to Cataclysm. In fact, MoP is much better than the previous expansion. There's plenty to do nowadays, and a lot more people are out in the world. That's not to say there aren't issues, because there are. Why not come back and check it out? I can't really tell you what to do, or where to even start. Jump right in.

Deleted
    i hate to have to tell you this mate, but that feeling of optimism is going to be gradually sucked out of every pore of your body by the grind that is dailies, vp cap & LFR.
    make hay while the sun shines my friend, it wont last very long.

Thanks for the many many replies!

Always played wow for the questing and the lore, and i hope to find some joy in the Pandarian lore while exploring the new continent.

Tommorow i'll reactive the account and see how the first month playtime goes