Question [Ret PVP 5.3] Should we go back to old gemming schemes or not ?

Hi,

I was wondering if with the pvp power / resilience modifications, it would be better to go back to stacking Red Strength gems or Strength combination gems instead of PVP power ?

Should we still be gemming Resilience or not ? I would say yes, but I prefer to ask to the community and discuss this

10+ Year Old Account
    First day I'm going:

Blue: PVP Power
    Yellow: PVP Power + Haste or Resil
    Red: PVP Power + Str

Still thinking about Resil or Haste... think Haste. Then I'll see how it goes, how you guys are going too.
    "I notice my rating actually boosts when I remember to have fun. Playing competitively while also enjoying yourself and focussing on having good games instead of getting rating is way more important.
    After 2.2k the fun devolves into a twisted realm suffering and despair and you will quit pvp from extreme traumatic stress and you will probably xfer to Moon Guard and join some Belf rp guild and become a prostitute in Silvermoon."by Clukclukbewm

Quote Originally Posted by Cronosmash View Post
    First day I'm going:

Blue: PVP Power
    Yellow: PVP Power + Haste or Resil
    Red: PVP Power + Str

Still thinking about Resil or Haste... think Haste. Then I'll see how it goes, how you guys are going too.
    Why would you go PVP Power? They nerfed the scaling by 1/3, and then they nerfed the gems by half. It's probably going to be worse than strength. I haven't done the math though.

Deleted
    Gemming for strength will be better for damage it seems.

If you knew how to play your class you'd be gemming haste, not strength.

Deleted
    I'll probably go with Haste and Resi all I can. What I'm unsure is the whole T15 4P thing we've discussed on these forums before.

Quote Originally Posted by NQ Exac View Post
    Debatable for PVP. Resilience gems actually might still be required despite how bad they'll be. Indirect nerf by Blizzard.

Assuming you missed the [PVP] tag?

Herald of the Titans Dristereau's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Assuming Strength and Haste due to the nerfs to PVP Power and Baseline Resilience, and also due to the new PVP Power Formula. Blue maybe Power or Stamina actually I'm considering, the health benefit may be somewhat useful, but not sure on that yet. Need to make a thread to do with this, got six 90's to Regem :S
    Dristereau - Axxolentus - Infernus - Sequentia - Nulo - Desterrar

Silvermoon
    - Shadowsong/Aszune - Tarren-Mill/Dentarg (SL Mage Tower: 29/36
    )

10+ Year Old Account
    Agreed Str might be better than PVPPower but the numbers must be made. PVPPower (as much as Str) increase Damage and Healing but as we remember PVPPower is a multiplier of the Str factor, so there were a number if I remember right that was 3 PVPPower to ever 1 Str or something like that. Since 3*3 is different than 2*4, this may be not as easy as "go all Str" - it depends on how much Str and PVPP comes as baseline on gear and how much is the ideal.

On the Haste x Str point: Haste will NOT be better than Str on PVP. Haste IS BETTER on PVE becouse there is so much UPTIME. Meaning melee range/los/no CC. Not to mention the less Str, less healing/damage - we got to make every hit count since Ret is so vulnerable to any CC.

On the other hand, Haste reduce GCD that is crucial for us since when we have uptime, there is a ton of stuff to do (including defensive stuff, BoP/WoG/FoL/Prism/Sac/Free/Emancipate/Purity/DS/etc) so Haste is definitely important. Just not as much as Str IMO.
    "I notice my rating actually boosts when I remember to have fun. Playing competitively while also enjoying yourself and focussing on having good games instead of getting rating is way more important.
    After 2.2k the fun devolves into a twisted realm suffering and despair and you will quit pvp from extreme traumatic stress and you will probably xfer to Moon Guard and join some Belf rp guild and become a prostitute in Silvermoon."by Clukclukbewm

I think in the grand scheme of things, no pvp situations will be won/lost simply on the basis of having gemmed one way or the other, compared to timely cc / peels / go for kill decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Cronosmash View Post
    Agreed Str might be better than PVPPower but the numbers must be made. PVPPower (as much as Str) increase Damage and Healing but as we remember PVPPower is a multiplier of the Str factor, so there were a number if I remember right that was 3 PVPPower to ever 1 Str or something like that. Since 3*3 is different than 2*4, this may be not as easy as "go all Str" - it depends on how much Str and PVPP comes as baseline on gear and how much is the ideal.

On the Haste x Str point: Haste will NOT be better than Str on PVP. Haste IS BETTER on PVE becouse there is so much UPTIME. Meaning melee range/los/no CC. Not to mention the less Str, less healing/damage - we got to make every hit count since Ret is so vulnerable to any CC.

On the other hand, Haste reduce GCD that is crucial for us since when we have uptime, there is a ton of stuff to do (including defensive stuff, BoP/WoG/FoL/Prism/Sac/Free/Emancipate/Purity/DS/etc) so Haste is definitely important. Just not as much as Str IMO.
    Str / Haste gems are probably going to be really good.

I might keep the Resilience gems depending on how much damage reduction they'd give. PvPower - Absolutely not, will probably gem str and str/crit gems if resilience turns out bad.
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

at lower gear levels haste and strength are really close. with healing in mind strength might actually be better.

I'll go Strength in reds, and try to give up Resilience for Haste or Crit in the other.

10+ Year Old Account
    I will try to go with strength and haste orange combination to see how it goes.