Poll: Is it wrong that I never tip?

Page 39 of 48 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribunal View Post
    So everyone who is not you and doesn't want your service should tell them.
    As I said before, I will POST AGAIN MY PROOF NOT EVERYONE WANTS WHAT YOU THINK THEY WANT, here it is:

http://diaperswappers.com/forum/show...089603&page=30

n3w2clO3h said:
    ask me if I want a refill when my glass is empty, please don’t assume I want one…you will waste more this way
    http://www.reviewstream.com/reviews/?p=4414

Famous said:
    I’m the type of iced tea lover who’s extremely picky about the teas I drink. When in restaurants, I hate when the waitress refills my iced-tea glass without asking-completely disturbing my perfect tea/sugar ratio.
    http://1000awesomethings.com/2008/06...ithout-asking/

Ashley November 29, 2008 at 11:38 pm I too am a server and as part of training in the restaurant I work at, I was taught to ask before bringing a refill, because although they will drink it if it’s in front of them, some people dont actually want that whole other glass of pop, they might actually want water or an alcoholic beverage… so in asking you always make sure the customer is getting what they want.
    This was a **************WAITRESS************** that said this. What does this tell you? That a SERVER SEES that everyone wants different things, therefore, DON'T serve in a majority manner EVER! That way you won't EVER get anything wrong by assuming, because you won't ever assume. THAT is better service not to get things wrong.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/outback-steakhouse-sterling-2

I’m an iced tea drinker, so I generally like to finish a glass before it’s refilled. When a partially empty glass gets refilled, it borks my sugar to tea ratio!
    www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=19233.15

Hijinks saids:
    Usually if they ask, I’ll say I’d like to switch to water please – I’m only drinking full flavor pop while pregnant, to avoid aspartame – because I don’t need all of that sugar. So bringing me another Coke without asking is mildly annoying, but I’ll still drink it LOL
    See, she may drink it, but she TRULY WOULD HAVE PREFERRED WATER! She would have been happier if she would have been asked.

http://www.planetfeedback.com/index....eply_id=147885

Peter S. said:
    recently dined at Gordon Bierch in San Diego. I ordered a Coke with my meal and when asked if i wanted a refill, I requested to have a refill of root beer instead of Coke.
    http://www.planetfeedback.com/index....eply_id=147885

Leanne said:
    I'm not familiar with this particular restaurant but I've switched
    drinks and haven't been charged.
    -Yes, I honestly think my server knows I want a refill on the same drink without asking, since that is pretty much normal behavior.
    No, it's not "normal" behavior, it's just COMMON behavior. Any behavior is normal since it's the customer's service, so it's individualized as it should be since we are all different, DUH!

That's why most of them do it.
    NO, most servers don't do it, honestly most servers DON'T do it. As I said, we go out to eat 2-3 times a weekend since late 2000. Places we have never been before, places we do go a lot as well.

anyaka21 said:
    I do always ask if I a customer would like more water or another coke, etc..
    Page 36

anyaka21 said this too:
    With most people, I do ask every time because, as a server, my time is valuable, I don't want to make extra trips to a table if I don't have to.
    Page 38

did you think you were sending of some odd "refill vibes" and they were only doing it to you?
    No, I know what they are doing.

I don't get how you don't see the contradiction in "don't look at the table without asking first" vs. "don't ignore me/make me tell you how to do every little thing". Wanting them to ask how you like your napkin put on the table is telling them how to do every little thing.
    IT'S ************THEM ASKING, NOT ME ONE-UPING THEM BY ASSUMING THEY WILL ASSUME, DUHH!! You don't know the difference between ************ASKING************* and ****************TELLING************ DO YOU?

Asking is saying "Would you like a refill" Telling is saying " I want refills without being asked throughout my service."

There's a HUGE difference between telling and asking. WHY can't you understand that there is no contradiction? Asking is not the same as telling.

If they are asking, then they are asking. I don't have to VOLUNTEER INFORMATION TO THEM, UNDERSTAND?

I don't have to tell them :

1. Don't bring me refills
    2. Don't bring me the check without asking.
    3. Don't bring me ketchup.
    4. Don't bring me water.

I mean if I had to do that, I'd have a list a mile long. WHY waste my time(MY TIP MONEY) do that?

I don't have to ONE-UP their assumptions that they will assume that I am assuming they will assume. What if they weren't going assume? I just wasted my time(MONEY) doing that.

I don't have to do that.

They should be asking me how I want whatever it is unless the customer wants it without asking for it such as refills that the customer should be saying they want refills without asking and the customer should be saying they want their check quickly if they are in a rush.

Can't believe you'd yell at a server over ketchup.
    I NEVER, EVER said "yell" and you know it. I said I am bothered by it, because it wasted MY TIME and other people's time as well. It is also controlling. Your server could have just simply asked when you ordered "Would you like ketchup or any other condiments", what's the harm in that?

That's not what your "tip" is paying for.
    It sure is, because I am paying for my *****************TIME*************** and ROOM ON THE TABLE!! Where do you get that from that you think I am not paying for something that is at my table being brought for nothing, huh? I am paying for my time not to be wasted!

My tip is for my *TIME* there to get whatever, however I want things at my table for my tip money. That includes things that I don't want on the table that are brought to me. I mean if it's already there when I am seated, that's not part of my service, but if it is BROUGHT to me, I am being "SERVED" ketchup, so YES, OF COURSE it's part of the tip. WHERE the heck do you get that from that being served a condiment is not part of the service, WTH??? SERIOUSLY, you are DELUSIONAL!

Everything my server does affecting my time at my table counts as service. The check is being "SERVED" to my table which is part of the service. DUH!

Also, what if someone else at the table wants it?
    That's why the server should be asking when they get the orders for each person ask if they want ketchup. Obviously if one person says it, then the server will bring it for that person.

Why does it offend you that it's even ON the table. They're not squirting it on your food for you.
    Because COMMON SENSE TELLS YOU IT'S TAKING UP MY *********************TIME****************** BRINGING IT TO MY TABLE and ALSO IT'S CONTROLLING as well as it's acting like everyone likes ketchup when everyone doesn't. I hate that.

It takes time to bring it to my table, to find it in the kitchen and grab it. I also don't want an extra thing on my table if it wasn't already on the table when I got seated. That's in my way. I need the room for the things I do order like ranch, mayo, mustard, etc.

Your 15% tip does not entitle you to speak down to someone like they're a lesser class of human being.
    First off, we don't tip 15% for great service, we tip 25%-30%, so 15% would be for mediocre service. Secondly, NO ONE SAID ANYTHING about being mean to a server. I NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER ONCE said I would EVER or have ever been mean to a server. If anything, most servers don't apologize, yet I still am polite enough to say "thank you" when they have made a mistake. I have even said that already. I am not sure WHERE you get I would EVER be mean to a server?

But there's a difference between getting served on as you like and treating them like dirt.
    I still don't get WHERE DO YOU GET THIS FROM? WHERE IS THIS COMING FROM? I don't treat anyone like dirt. I am NICER than the servers are to me. As I said before, I am nice about the mistakes saying it nicely, most of them don't say they are sorry. I don't get that, at ALL? They think their tip goes by the mistake admitting it, but it actually goes by HOW THEY HANDLE IT if they were nice enough to apologize they will be much more forgiven in the tip than if they act like they could care less.

There's also such a thing as unreasonable expectations.
    There's nothing unreasonable to think your server will try their best to please *YOU*, NOT assume everything. There's nothing unreasonable to think my server wants *MY* money that they won't try to please me.

Now I swear I am done replying to such an unbalanced person.
    Because I want what I want for *MY* hard earned money that makes me unbalanced? NO, it makes me NORMAL! Just like you want what you want for your money, so do I!

And yes, it's unbalanced to go so far outside the norms of behavior that you think "server=slave" is cool.
    You don't get that what I mean by slave is that they are there to get your every little thing that you want. You want bbq sauce warm, they are there to go to get it warmed up. If you want half coke, half diet coke(I never ordered that before at a restaurant, but have done that at McDonald's to save calories by filling up my own cup with some diet and some regular), the server should abide by that request if that's what the customer wants.

NOW do you understand what I mean by slave/servant? If I am your server, you ask me for half coke, half diet coke, your wish is granted, because I want your money at the end called a tip. If you want me to get some marinara sauce warmed, that's my job if I were your server.

If I want 3 helpings of free bread, you are there to get them. If I want 5 refills, you are there to get them.

Now do you get what I am saying? Your server is there to get you every little thing you want. THAT is what I mean by slave/servant.
    Last edited by Springs131; 2013-05-26 at 03:09 PM.

Deleted
    I would say never to tip is wrong. But i am not saying you should always tip. First it depents alot on where in the world you are some palces you should tip some places it dont matter. Around here if i just go out to eat i never tip either unless i feel like the waiter have put in that extra effort. if i feel that way i might leave a little tip.
    Most of my tips to be honest is just saying keep the change :P

/steps out of kitchen, approaches Springs's table.

"I'm deeply sorry sir, but it appears my server didn't ask if you'd like your meal served on a plate. Should I put it on a plate, or just have him set your burger on the table? Again, I truly regret my server's mistake."

/waits for answer.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    /steps out of kitchen, approaches Springs's table.

"I'm deeply sorry sir, but it appears my server didn't ask if you'd like your meal served on a plate. Should I put it on a plate, or just have him set your burger on the table? Again, I truly regret my server's mistake."

/waits for answer.
    Common sense would say the table is dirty for HEALTH CODE reasons they couldn't serve it like that and you know it!

Quote Originally Posted by Springs131 View Post
    Common sense would say the table is dirty for HEALTH CODE reasons they couldn't serve it like that and you know it!
    "Ahh, good point, sir. I'll have the server bring it out on a piece of wax paper. Now, while I'm cooking your burger, would you prefer if I flip it only once, or several times? It seems my server failed to ask that as well."

"Ahh, good point, sir. I'll have the server bring it out on a piece of wax paper. Now, while I'm cooking your burger, would you prefer if I flip it only once, or several times? It seems my server failed to ask that as well."
    You know I am not saying to ask all of that and you know it. So stop being like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fortunately Washington State does not allow reduced pay for positions that receive tips so I can tip what I feel is right rather then some guilt trip fee people try to enforce.

You know I am not saying to ask all of that and you know it. So stop being like that.
    "But sir, this is customer service. I can't assume I know how to prepare the burger you'd like to have."

"But sir, this is customer service. I can't assume I know how to prepare the burger you'd like to have."
    They don't ask all the steps in cooking though. I NEVER said that.

They don't ask all the steps in cooking though. I NEVER said that.
    "But sir, my server asked how you'd like your burger cooked. You said medium. To me, that means I should take it off the heat at about 125 degrees F. Other people think it might be more like 128 F, sometimes even 130 F. What do you think? However, you did not answer my server's question. He asked how you'd like it cooked. You did not specify if you like it cooked on a flat top, in an iron skillet, on a charcoal grill, or maybe even under the broiler. How shall I proceed?"

/glances around, notices everyone else in the place wondering why they don't have their food yet.

"But sir, my server asked how you'd like your burger cooked. You said medium. To me, that means I should take it off the heat at about 125 degrees F. Other people think it might be more like 128 F, sometimes even 130 F. What do you think? However, you did not answer my server's question. He asked how you'd like it cooked. You did not specify if you like it cooked on a flat top, in an iron skillet, on a charcoal grill, or maybe even under the broiler. How shall I proceed?"

/glances around, notices everyone else in the place wondering why they don't have their food yet.
    You know you are being silly and you know it. You know no one would ask all of that. I NEVER said to ask all of that and you know I don't mean to ask all of that.

You know you are being silly and you know it. You know no one would ask all of that. I NEVER said to ask all of that and you know I don't mean to ask all of that.
    Of course. But reductio ad absurdum is a thing.

If we can't assume anything about what you, the customer, wants, the conversation above would follow.

Or, more likely, your server will spit in your food when I'm not looking.

Or, more likely, your server will spit in your food when I'm not looking.

So what if they aren't sick? Does it really do anything if they aren't sick? NO, it doesn't.

the conversation above would follow.
    No it wouldn't and you know it.

Springs, you're flat out pathetic at this point. You think it's immoral to efficiently manage multiple tables at once, and call it cutting as though you were six years old, then in the same breath you say that a server is the equivalent of butler. A server is absolutely not a servant. Please, never burden a server at any restaurant with your presence. I suspect you'd be thrown out in short order, or never welcomed back again if you actually behaved in the atrocious manner you described in your posts.

I'm sorry sir, I regret that my server forgot to ask how many fries you want. The normal range is between 20 and 30. So sorry about that

---------- Post added 2013-05-26 at 09:13 PM ----------

What does this have to do with doing the MORALLY RIGHT THING by GOING IN THE ORDER IN WHICH REQUEST CAME IN, HUH?

****************snip**************

massive wall of crit text.
    There is no morality here. There is just taking care of the customer. Sometimes some things take longer than others. This isn't a donut shop where you server the guy in line then move on to the next one. This isn't Starbucks where you make the drinks in the order they go thru the line.

This is serving multiple people on multiple tables that were sat at different times. This is taking care of different people on different time tables who are ordering things that take varying amounts of time and effort. This is taking care of the customer HOW THEY WANT TO BE TREATED. You can go all weird about how you think things should be, but I'll defer to the customer and what they actually want.

You might get all bent over this, as that 500 line massive wall of text, done multiple times has shown, but real servers understand how the game is played. They'll take care of you how you want to be treated, they'll treat someone else different because that's how they want to be treated. They'll go in the back and make up stupid names of their customers, you'd probably be something like SOUP NAZI from Seinfeld or something like that. And every server that sees you walk in the the door would be like "please GOD not me this time, please," or if there's a wait, they'll slow their tables down, so their tables don't get up so they don't have to serve you.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkiy View Post
    Springs, you're flat out pathetic at this point.
    Because I want FAIRNESS that is pathetic? NO, nobody, even YOU wants things to be unfair, just admit that please.

You think it's immoral to efficiently manage multiple tables at once, and call it cutting
    It's not more efficient for the[B] ***************************FIRST TABLE******************[/B]***! WHY aren't you understanding that? WHAT IS SO HARD ABOUT UNDERSTANDING THAT THE *FIRST* TABLE SUFFERS DOING IT YOUR WAY? The first table shouldn't be cut in front of. That's MORALLY WRONG!

How is it more efficient for the 1st table? Please explain? All I know is that I see they have a LONGER wait because you are thinking about other customers or people that aren't even there yet even. That's all I see.

as though you were six years old,
    So you think that when you are giving your entrée order that if I went up to our server(we have the same server) to ask for 2 refills, you would be OK with yours and our server deciding to STOP taking your entrée order so the server can get my 2 refills? You'd REALLY be OK with that? I DOUBT THAT! JUST ADMIT THE TRUTH!

There's no 6 year olds here.

Just look at the fights about who's first on black friday on youtube. These are just a few of the people that aren't 6yrs old and are thinking about THEIR TURN:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXbkM-VZMnI

Do you see 6yr olds? I see ADULTS doing this. ADULTS, NOT CHILDREN!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rivL5KYeBvk

then in the same breath you say that a server is the equivalent of butler. A server is absolutely not a servant.
    How can you say they aren't? What's the difference? You are paying for your EVERY WHIM to be met in BOTH situations. NO DIFFERENCE HERE. WHERE do you get any difference, huh? I would like to know?

if you actually behaved in the atrocious manner you described in your posts.
    What atrocious manner? I told you I am a NICE person. I NEVER said I behave badly. WHERE DO YOU GET THIS FROM? I REALLY WOULD LIKE TO KNOW?

Because I expect WORK for my tip money that somehow makes me a bad person, WTH?? You make no sense what-so-ever?

---------- Post added 2013-05-26 at 10:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by anyaka21 View Post
    There is no morality here. There is just taking care of the customer.
    Yes there is. WE ALL HAVE TURNS. As I said before, I guess you'd be OK with our server(yours and mine are the same server) getting my 2 refills interrupting you giving your entrée order, am I right?

If you wouldn't be OK with stopping giving your entrée order so I can cut in front of your turn, then STOP saying there's no morality when it's all about MORALS! CUTTING has to do with being immoral. You aren't doing the "RIGHT" thing if you cut. Just like if you don't tip for a server giving you good service. Same thing. Morals are in all sorts of parts of life.

Sometimes some things take longer than others.
    But going out of order is NOT OK! Cutting is MORALLY WRONG! Everyone has turns. It's just not right.

This isn't a donut shop where you server the guy in line then move on to the next one. This isn't Starbucks where you make the drinks in the order they go thru the line.
    So as I said, you wouldn't mind waiting for your server to get me 2 cokes interrupting you giving your order? If you wouldn't mind, that would be surprising, because most people would find that RUDE not only of ME the customer, but if your server actually stopped taking your order to serve me instead, that's rude of the server as well.

This is serving multiple people on multiple tables that were sat at different times.
    But we ALL have turns. Let's say the hostess seated your party first, you sat for 4-5 MINUTES waiting to get greeted, the hostess seats a party of 8 at another table next to yours. Then it's 8 minutes now, no one has greeted your table yet and another table is sat right by the party of 8. Your server ends up greeting the 3rd table first, which they are ready to fully order since they waited for a table a long time reading the menu asking questions, etc. The second table ends up asking lots of questions(remember they are a party of 8), finally you get greeted 13 minutes from being seated, HOW DO YOU FEEL?

Do you think that's NOT CUTTING? WELL I AM WAITING? You don't need to be a in line to have turns. Heck, waiting for a table you wait your turn. There's no differences here. Your table should have been greeted FIRST out of the 3 tables. THAT was YOUR TURN, but the server decided to greet the 3rd table first instead of asking the hostess which party got seated first. How is serving the 3rd table FAIR or morally right first when your table was first, huh? It's all about morals cutting.

This is taking care of different people on different time tables who are ordering things that take varying amounts of time and effort.
    But if the 1st table asked for let's say a box and then as your server passes by your table on the way to get a box, you ask for 4 refills, do you think it's right for the 1st table to wait for the server to fix 4 soft drinks BEFORE getting one box that was asked for FIRST? NO, it's NOT, it's morally wrong to get 4 refills first, because the 1st table asked FIRST for THEIR BOX. IT'S NOT FAIR to make them wait since they asked for what they wanted FIRST! WHY CAN'T YOU GET THAT CONCEPT THAT WE ALL HAVE TURNS AND THAT IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE A LINE TO HAVE A TURN, HUH? As I said, you'd be OK with me walking up to your server while she or he is taking your table's order to ask for things and your server STOPPING taking your orders to serve me, am I right according to you that you think we don't have turns, huh?

This is taking care of the customer HOW THEY WANT TO BE TREATED.
    They want to get treated FAIRLY NOT waiting longer than what they are supposed to. If it's their turn it's their turn, not someone else's turn, GOT IT?

You can go all weird about how you think things should be, but I'll defer to the customer and what they actually want.
    It's called ASKING. What a concept.
    Last edited by Springs131; 2013-05-26 at 10:42 PM.

Because I want FAIRNESS that is pathetic? NO, nobody, even YOU wants things to be unfair, just admit that please.

It's not more efficient for the first table! WHY aren't you understanding that? WHAT IS SO HARD ABOUT UNDERSTANDING THAT THE FIRST TABLE SUFFERS DOING IT YOUR WAY? The first table shouldn't be cut in front of. That's MORALLY WRONG!
    Morality doesn't enter into it. Some table's orders take less time, others take more time. They don't start on one tables order, wait for that to get done, and then start on the next table. Not all restaurants are like McDonald's.

How is it more efficient for the 1st table? Please explain? All I know is that I see they have a LONGER wait because you are thinking about other customers or people that aren't even there yet even. That's all I see.
    The first table will get served as soon as able. If there are no other guests then you don't to worry about someone else getting food before you.

So you think that when you are giving your entrée order that if I went up to our server(we have the same server) to ask for 2 refills, you would be OK with yours and our server deciding to STOP taking your entrée order so the server can get my 2 refills? You'd REALLY be OK with that? I DOUBT THAT! JUST ADMIT THE TRUTH!
    I'm not sure what that has to do with someone getting served their food before you.

How can you say they aren't? What's the difference? You are paying for your EVERY WHIM to be met in BOTH situations. NO DIFFERENCE HERE. WHERE do you get any difference, huh? I would like to know?
    The sever is there to take your order and bring you specific things that the restaurant has to offer. That does not mean they are there for your every whim to be met. If you say "I want a diet shasta orange soda", and they don't have it, then you're not going to get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Extrazero8 View Post
    Morality doesn't enter into it.
    It does, because cutting in front of someone else's turn is wrong.

Some table's orders take less time, others take more time.
    What does that have to do with YOUR SERVER going in the order in which people came in, huh? This has NOTHING at ALL to do with what I am saying. The actions of the server going in order, NOT how long each table decides to take to give their order. I am not talking about that. I am talking about which turn does your server do first, do they go in the order in which people came in?

They don't start on one tables order, wait for that to get done, and then start on the next table. Not all restaurants are like McDonald's.
    Again, I am NOT talking about the kitchen staff members. I am ONLY talking about the server. You don't need kitchen staff members to get refills or a box, do you? You don't need kitchen staff members to PUT in orders into the computer do you?

The first table will get served as soon as able.
    Soon as able is soon as able. That means if the 1st table asked for their check, then as your server passes by, the next table asked for 4 refills, you should be getting the 1st table's check, NOT the refills. Do you understand what I am saying? Soon as able is just that, SOON as you can, which is immediately if you don't have any previously ordered or asked for items that came before that 1st table. For example, I can understand and it is 100% totally fair if you served food for another table before getting the check, because DUH, that other table asked for their food WELL BEFORE the 1st table that asked for their check. NOW do you understand? Getting the refills would be cutting, because they asked for the refills AFTER the 1st table.

If table 2 asks for 2 refills, then as your server passes by, table 3 asks for 3 refills, instead of getting all 5 refills on a tray, your server should not take up table 2's time filling up 3 more glass of drink, that's table 2's TIME that is being cut in front of to do that. Doing it my way, table 2 gets their 2 refills as they should in a timely manner fairly and table 3 waits for their refills longer since they ARE LAST out of the 2 people that just ask for their things. I would make 2 trips to be FAIR, NOT TO CUT!

Filling up 3 more drinks is UNFAIR and then on top of that, what if the syrup is out for one of the 3, delaying the 2nd table even longer for no real reason UNFAIRLY SO! I wouldn't get all 5 drinks on a tray. I'd fill up the 2 drinks and bring them. Then I'd go back to fill the 3 drinks, and bring them. THAT IS THE WAY FAIRNESS IS BY NOT CUTTING to make separate trips. Taking 3 other drinks is LONGER that the 1st table waits for their stuff. It's CUTTING!

If there are no other guests then you don't to worry about someone else getting food before you.
    True. If there are other customers, the server can still have on the tray more than one party's orders and hand them out of order, which is cutting. That happened to us at Red Lobster. We had ordered our entrées around 11:15a.m. or so. It was close to 12p.m., our server has on the tray of food she is bringing out, OUR 2 entrées and 2 side salads for a couple that wasn't even there when we placed our order for our entrées, she decided to cut turns by handing their side salads off the tray first even though we placed our order for our food WELL BEFORE THEY EVEN ARRIVED in the restaurant even. That is what a server can control. Handing things out in the order in which they came in. There was NO reason what-so-ever for our waitress not to bypass their table with their side salads to give us our food since we ordered BEFORE they did, it's ONLY FAIR! She got a dollar tip for CUTTING! That was SOOOOO RUDE! I couldn't fathom doing that. She knew who ordered first, but decided to cut, I don't get that, I really, really, REALLY DON'T??? WHY? IT'S NOT FAIR!

Also, the simple fact of putting the 2 sides salads on the tray took time. She should have just brought OUR FOOD out first and made a 100% separate trip for their side salads. That was 2-3 seconds more of our time right there and who knows, maybe our food sat while she made the side salads(servers make the side salads at Red Lobster the manager told me)?

I'm not sure what that has to do with someone getting served their food before you.
    NOTHING. Where did I talk about food in my previous post? I am talking about TURNS. Things that the *SERVER* can control like handing things off a tray in the correct order, getting refills, getting a box, the check, things of that nature.

That does not mean they are there for your every whim to be met. If you say "I want a diet shasta orange soda", and they don't have it, then you're not going to get one.
    You know good and well I wasn't talking about impossible things. I was talking about that if someone wants 4 helpings of free bread, 5 condiments, extra napkins, 5 boxes, 8 refills, bbq sauce warmed, etc., that they should have their wishes granted if you want their money you have to do what THEY want. The customer rules the server by giving sets of instructions of what to do next.
    Last edited by Springs131; 2013-05-26 at 11:12 PM.

Yes, you are pathetic because your concept of fairness is childishly obsessing over, "First!! I was here first!!! Me! Me! Me first!" You fail to realize that by centering all of that perfection of service on the first guest, you do a disservice to any other guests. In your world, a server would never be able to manage more than one table because anything else would "cutting."

It's not more efficient for the[B] ***************************FIRST TABLE******************[/B]***! WHY aren't you understanding that? WHAT IS SO HARD ABOUT UNDERSTANDING THAT THE *FIRST* TABLE SUFFERS DOING IT YOUR WAY? The first table shouldn't be cut in front of. That's MORALLY WRONG!

It's not absolutely, 100% efficient for the first guest, but that's to be understood when someone else it taking care of you and several other people simultaneously. If we wanted impeccably perfect service we would only assign one table per server. Again, there is no morality involved in this so please do away with that flimsy, straw-man argument.

No, because that isn't what we're saying, nor is that even a similar issue. You're just fabricating problems that don't exist.

There's no 6 year olds here.
    The excessive bolding, font increases, and use of asterisks suggests otherwise.

Just look at the fights about who's first on black friday on youtube. These are just a few of the people that aren't 6yrs old and are thinking about THEIR TURN:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXbkM-VZMnI

Do you see 6yr olds? I see ADULTS doing this. ADULTS, NOT CHILDREN!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rivL5KYeBvk
    Black Friday holiday shopping is not relatable to dinning in a restaurant. You could at least stay on topic.

I can say that they aren't the same because they aren't the same service any more than a cat and a dog are the same animal. The roles of each job are fundamentally different by whom they service, and any dictionary or use common sense could tell you that.

What atrocious manner? I told you I am a NICE person. I NEVER said I behave badly. WHERE DO YOU GET THIS FROM? I REALLY WOULD LIKE TO KNOW?

Because I expect WORK for my tip money that somehow makes me a bad person, WTH?? You make no sense what-so-ever?
    Declaring that you are a nice person does not make it so. "I'm king of the moon! What do you mean I don't actually rule the moon?"

It's atrocious behavior because you disregard any other guests in the restaurant because you were first, and clearly your needs are more important than any other theirs because of that. Never mind that a table has been waiting ten minutes for a server to take their drink order, you need a refill and because you were first you have undeniable precedence over them.

It does, because cutting in front of someone else's turn is wrong.
    No, it just offends you. Right and wrong don't enter into it.

What does that have to do with your server going in the order in which people came in, huh? This has nothing at all to do with what I am saying. The actions of the server going in order, not how long each table decides to take to give their order. I am not talking about that. I am talking about which turn does your server do first, do they go in the order in which people came in?
    Normally the server takes the orders in how the guests are seated. Sometimes they get busy and that doesn't happen.

Again, I am NOT talking about the kitchen staff members. I am only talking about the server. You don't need kitchen staff members to get refills or a box, do you? You don't need kitchen staff members to put in orders into the computer do you?
    Once again, staff can get busy and you're not the only person in the restaurant.

Soon as able is soon as able. That means if the 1st table asked for their check, then as your server passes by, the next table asked for 4 refills, you should be getting the 1st table's check, NOT the refills. Do you understand what I am saying? Soon as able is just that, SOON as you can, which is immediately if you don't have any previously ordered or asked for items that came before that 1st table. For example, I can understand and it is 100% totally fair if you served food for another table before getting the check, because DUH, that other table asked for their food WELL BEFORE the 1st table that asked for their check. NOW do you understand? Getting the refills would be cutting, because they asked for the refills AFTER the 1st table.
    The people at the other will get their drinks and you'll get your check. I'm not sure why you would be offended at such a small slight that most wouldn't even notice.

True. If there are other customers, the server can still have on the tray more than one party's orders and hand them out of order, which is cutting.
    I've never seen that happen but I'm not going to call you a liar.

That happened to us at Red Lobster. We had ordered our entrées around 11:15a.m. or so. It was close to 12p.m., our server has on the tray of food she is bringing out, OUR 2 entrées and 2 side salads for a couple that wasn't even there when we placed our order for our entrées, she decided to cut turns by handing their side salads off the tray first even though we placed our order for our food well before they even arrived in the restaurant even.
    Wow, really? You got offended because you had to wait just one moment after someone else? That sound incredibly petty.

That is what a server can control. Handing things out in the order in which they came in. There was NO reason what-so-ever for our waitress not to bypass their table with their side salads to give us our food since we ordered before they did, it's only fair! She got a dollar tip for cutting! That was so rude! I couldn't fathom doing that. She knew who ordered first, but decided to cut, I don't get that, I really, really, really don't??? Why? It's not fair!
    You were inconvenienced for less time than it took me to write out this sentence. I can't relate to that feeling.

Also, the simple fact of putting the 2 sides salads on the tray took time. She should have just brought OUR FOOD out first and made a 100% separate trip for their side salads. That was 2-3 seconds more of our time right there and who knows, maybe our food sat while she made the side salads(servers make the side salads at Red Lobster the manager told me)?
    Holy hell you involved a manager over that? This conversation just became awesome. lol

Nothing. Where did I talk about food in my previous post? I am talking about turns. Things that the server can control like handing things off a tray in the correct order, getting refills, getting a box, the check, things of that nature.
    Sometimes people get served out of order. That's just something you're going to have to deal with.

You know good and well I wasn't talking about impossible things.
    You said they were your butler. I showed you how they were not. I am slightly offended you did not think me for giving you that information.

I was talking about that if someone wants 4 helpings of free bread, 5 condiments, extra napkins, 5 boxes, 8 refills, bbq sauce warmed, etc., that they should have their wishes granted if you want their money you have to do what they want.
    Yes, that is what servers are for. Butlers do more than that.

The customer rules the server by giving sets of instructions of what to do next.
    Actually you're thinking of the restaurant manager. The customer may ask for or demand somethings but its up to the restaurant manager if those requests are going to be met or not.