Poll: Is it wrong that I never tip?

Page 12 of 48 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    Kinda sad to tip someone based on if they check ID, regardless how good or bad the service is.

Atmosphere != Server quality

One server != All of the staff

Are you being serious right now? I can't tell.
    are you serious? how can you defend tipping its so stupid, when I go out to resturants here in Norway I have only encountered nice servers, they are paid a normal wage, and recive 0 tips, cause its not expected and if they are douchy shitbags they lose their jobs, ITS A PART of the job to be nice and your not paid a shitty wage, whatever works right?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Amnasty View Post
    Untrue, if seen servers curse people out, hit people, follow a customer to their car and hand them back a meager tip.

And servers like me, where if you frequent my place of business, and your a known bad tipper, you will not get a seat at my tables even if you request me.
    But no one tells the costumer this, it's something we should know instinctively? If you approach me and ask " Do you require service, sir?* then I'll ask *Sure, how much you take?* or *No, thank you anyways.* Problem avoided?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunix View Post
    are you serious? how can you defend tipping its so stupid, when I go out to resturants here in Norway I have only encountered nice servers, they are paid a normal wage, and recive 0 tips, cause its not expected and if they are douchy shitbags they lose their jobs, ITS A PART of the job to be nice and your not paid a shitty wage, whatever works right?
    It's a broken system and it's stupid as hell. But it IS the system. Blame the companies for lobbying to pay them 2 dollars an hour, not the waiters themselves.

You can rationalize it and stand on your moral high ground all you want, but this is how the system works.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin View Post
    They should make it clearer that it's not an included service then. They just look like sad puppies if you don't tip, it's not like anyone considers it stealing or anyone does anything about a non-tipping costumer. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding but it's not like this isn't extremely dodgy conduct by restaurants or anything. Or as was said previously, they could at least ask if the costumer wants service and are willing to pay for it before they get served.
    Are you going to tip now?

Also, they only 'look sad' because that's all they can do and still be professional. I have had a manager stand up for me over a tip before, but it's infrequent. The usual management response is 'don't cause waves' especially since it's not their money on the line.

I don't advocate messing with people or their food. But I do hope that if people realize what they are really doing to a server (contributing to them possibly getting fired is the best case scenario) that they will change.

It is dodgy conduct, but it is also kind of unreasonable to not be aware of the custom. You know you're flaunting it, why not consider why it is in place? Or you know, ask? I'm sure anyone who has worked as a server would have been happy to answer/explain.

Also, as others have mentioned: There are many places where service/tip is an option, and I suggest frequenting them. To-go counters (even here in Texas, one of the lowest server wages in the country, a server who is dedicated to working the to-go counter gets normal minimum wage. Not all business stick to that, but that part is not on you), counter service restaurants, places with included gratuity (some high-end establishments do automatic grat even on small parties, and yes, it is stated up front).

If that is the custom you want encouraged you should only support those businesses. But you are going to pay more or get less service 90% of the time.
    Last edited by Tribunal; 2013-05-19 at 02:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaneiac View Post
    It's a broken system and it's stupid as hell. But it IS the system. Blame the companies for lobbying to pay them 2 dollars an hour, not the waiters themselves.

You can rationalize it and stand on your moral high ground all you want, but this is how the system works.
    im not saying they dont deserve the money, im saying that people defending the system are downright stupid mongoloids, it shouldnt be like that "but oh no if we remove tipping they will upp the prices" right, like its now everyone is expeted to pay 20% more so why the fuck not up the prices with 20%? everyone wins

Meh I don't go out to eat much but when I do it's usually to a place I've been to multiple times before with friends so I tip well and the service has always been good. Plus is $5 going to kill you? Shit there is some cheap people here. But I am all for servers being paid minimum wage like other jobs and not relying on tips.
    Last edited by Iamanerd; 2013-05-19 at 02:52 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doylez View Post
    Sucks that they earn so little but I don't see why that should be the customers problem.
    Because the customer is the one going to the place of business and utilizing the service?

Do you walk into the hospital and tell the doctor "Hey, I think this place pays you too much, I'm just going to pay a little less than my bit of my bill because of it"?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sugarlily View Post
    HOW MUCH DO SERVERS MAKE /HOUR IN THE US?
    I've replied to a similar post before, but I will say again, as a former server in the US, for the past 20 years the hourly wage has always been a whopping $2.13/hr. That includes all the hours of set-up, cleaning, bussing tables, prep work in the kitchen (making salads, helping the kitchen catch up or get ahead for the next shift etc etc, & you still only make that same $2.13/hr, even though others in the kitchen never make less than minimum wage.
    If a waiter doesnt get any tips doesnt it mean that the employer must fill that up to minimum wage?
    Making the bolded red scary number meaningless?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribunal View Post
    Are you going to tip now?
    I always tip good service. It's the mediocre/bad/I'm just doing my job service that I don't want to tip for. But they should seriously bring more awareness to what service really is. I'm just there to eat my food and have a nice time. I shouldn't be dragged into a fight about unfairness and economy just because the assholes who hired the server don't want to pay them properly. Just saying.

15+ Year Old Account
    im not saying they dont deserve the money, im saying that people defending the system are downright stupid mongoloids, it shouldnt be like that "but oh no if we remove tipping they will upp the prices" right, like its now everyone is expeted to pay 20% more so why the fuck not up the prices with 20%? everyone wins
    And a lot of us saying that you shouldn't stiff servers have said we would be more than fine with that system.

But if you go out to eat tomorrow night, that 20% increase is not in place and it is not generally acceptable to just not tip because you don't like it.

Changing the system will take time (and likely an overthrow of lobbying in this country). You have to work within the current parameters in the meantime or you're just a douche, not an idealist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyofcode View Post
    There is this scene in the movie Reservoir Dogs that sums up my feelings of tips.

Although where I live tips aren't helping people scrape by because regardless of tips or not their pay is fine. Tips are just extra cash. From what I have read American employers can legally pay below minimum wage if their employees are very likely to be getting tips and that is stupid.
    My love of Reservoir Dogs aside, his stance & speech about tipping includes a false statement; "...these ladies aren't starving to death, they make minimum wage..." is COMPLETELY INCORRECT.

In the US servers have made $2.13/hour for the past 20 years.

We usually round it up to the nearest ten, or the next one up if it is between, say, 16 and 19 euros. If the service was mediocre to the nearest 5. I don't tip in fast-food places.

Here the waiting staff make a decent wage, tips are voluntary and therefore mean more. You are actually giving them more than their normal wage would be as a "thank you" for above average performance, not as a way for the employer to skimp on wages and get away with paying 2 bucks an hour (how did that even become acceptable?).

Unfortunately as great as Reservoir Dogs is, Tarantino didn't include the "tipped minimum wage" into the conversation. The tipped minimum wage is what the government sets for people working tip jobs. It was last raised by Congress in 1991 to $2.13 an hour <hu ffingtonpost.com/2012/06/02/minimum-wage-restaurant-workers_n_1515916.html>. It's this low because it is assumed that the tips will make up the difference and it's stayed this low because of lobbyists for the restaurant industry. This video explains it pretty well.

vi meo.com/63992039

So basically, when you don't tip a server at a restaurant you're allowing your principled stubbornness to screw them over (or you are a miser). The system doesn't work the way you think it does.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slliks View Post
    If a waiter doesnt get any tips doesnt it mean that the employer must fill that up to minimum wage?
    At probably 95%+ of the restaurants in this country, you WILL get fired if you have to have your tips made up more than once, if not the first time.

Especially in this economy with people with experience slobbering to replace you.

Managers work in the normal, societal parameters of tips being expected, so they see not getting tips = bad service, even when it could just be getting sat with people who don't believe in tipping.

Not tipping someone who does a normal or better job contributes to getting them fired. End of story.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slliks View Post
    If the employer has to constantly make up for the deficit, what do you think they're going to do?

Fire them and get a waiter that can actually get some tips.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribunal View Post
    Because the customer is the one going to the place of business and utilizing the service?

Do you walk into the hospital and tell the doctor "Hey, I think this place pays you too much, I'm just going to pay a little less than my bit of my bill because of it"?
    If i wanted to pay for the waiters directly i'd just open a restaurant insteaf of being a patron of one.. *shrug* Your argument is as good as my answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin View Post
    Of course I'm serious. The overall quality plays a big role if a restaurant becomes popular or not, that includes the quality and manner of service.
    A server is a representative for the restaurant, in fact it's generally the only person you meet when visiting a restaurant.
    Okay but a NORMAL person would know that ONE SERVER is not the entire restaurant. To think such a thing is ridiculous.

are you serious? how can you defend tipping its so stupid, when I go out to resturants here in Norway----
    That's all you had to say. Until they change the actual system in the US, I can't do anything BUT defend it.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

10+ Year Old Account
    in the US, if the server gets a full 40 hours for the week, they only get $80 at 2.15/hr ( 45-50$ after tax) if you dont tip in a state in the US that has this law, you need to go fuck yourself. Go work 40 hours one week for $45-50 and tell me it's right, that just because our country doesn't add 15% you shouldn't pay it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    Okay but a NORMAL person would know that ONE SERVER is not the entire restaurant. To think such a thing is ridiculous.
    Of course not, but he/she is part of the restaurant structure and reflect the overall quality of the restaurant. Having a slobby brute who hates his/her life servicing you will most likely cause you to think negatively about that specific restaurant and make you reluctant to recommend or go back to it.