Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Best browser for Netflix?

Hey guys,

Does Netflix prefer any specific browser for best compatibility and video experience? If so, which one?

I'm using Windows 8.

Thanks!
    "Those mortal shells that we call bodies, are not ours to keep. The body is a gift of earth that must, one day, be returned from whence it came"

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd recommend chrome simply based off the fact that it doesn't suck. I have no problems with netflix on it, regardless. I'd recommend chrome even if I didn't use netflix.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Prefer Chrome as my default browser because of the fact that I use it to sync my webpages between my phone and my PC throughout the day. Netflix does not prefer one browser over the other.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use Chrome but for whatever reason Netflix will randomly pause on me when I'm watching seasons of something. Nothing wrong with my net or computer, not sure if it's Chrome or not, but fair warning. If it happens to you let me know so I don't feel like I'm going insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Uennie View Post
    I use Chrome but for whatever reason Netflix will randomly pause on me when I'm watching seasons of something. Nothing wrong with my net or computer, not sure if it's Chrome or not, but fair warning. If it happens to you let me know so I don't feel like I'm going insane.
    If you mean how it pauses the video and you have to click continue playing after 2-3 episodes? That's something that netflix does now. I would guess that it's to save on bandwidth usage of people who start a season of a show then go to sleep(like me lol).
    Last edited by geewhiz80; 2013-05-19 at 03:47 AM.

I've been using chrome, haven't tried the others but all is fine so far. Plus just overall prefer it.
    Infectionate Pawsthorne Bubblesbee
    [A] [H]
    Nasturtium Fisticuffs Blesshu Sinnocence Ellipsis Hiddenfee Teddiursa

Chrome fan boy my self, but I have had 0 issues streaming in chrome. Haven't tried any others.

My default browser is Chrome, as well. But sometimes while watching a movie it stops and never continue playing again, so I have to refresh the page or even close it and re-enter the website again, which is kind of annoying.

Oh and, forgot to mention a thing about Youtube. Sometimes the video starts playing without any audio. Usually refreshing the page fixes it, but I noticed it happening more often these days. Tried clearing history, cookies etc, but didn't help.

I'm currently testing both Netflix and Youtube, using Firefox. Will see how things will go at the end of the day.
    "Those mortal shells that we call bodies, are not ours to keep. The body is a gift of earth that must, one day, be returned from whence it came"

10+ Year Old Account
    for netflix, use the desktop version of IE10

chrome has serious issues with netflix atm

i dont use firefox so i don't know how netflix runs on it

also, youtube is better on IE10 as well

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post

I've never had a problem of any kind with any streaming media using Chrome. Anecdotal evidence isn't really evidence.

I've used IE, Firefox, and Chrome with netflix. And to be honest so far chrome seems to work the best. It seems to load faster and look better.And just to be clear I'm not a chrome fanboy, I use FF for my web browsing.

I only use Chrome for moderating this forum and Netflix; might have to change to IE for Netflix as well if that's true.

Huh.. interesting. I'll definitely give it a try. Thanks Cyanotical.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use Chrome and I never have an issue

10+ Year Old Account

Never had any problems what so ever with Chrome running Netflix. What issues are you talking about out of curiosity? I have noticed Youtube experiences some problems lately on Chrome, Firefox is my backup so if youtube is acting wonky I load up Firefox, can't stand IE so can't really give any input on it myself. Worth trying all 3 to see what works the best for you and your computer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, I find the Netflix layout on PC really annoying, I much prefer it on a console, or internet TV type device (boxee, appletv, googletv, etc.)

But if you don't mind it and definitely want to run it from your computer, I'd say whichever browser you're most comfortable as a normal browser. If you use multiple screens, and want to surf while watching Netflix, I'd suggest you use a browser other than your "normal" browser, and just have Netflix on the second browser, just for a bit of flexibility.

---------- Post added 2013-05-19 at 01:34 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Static View Post
    My default browser is Chrome, as well. But sometimes while watching a movie it stops and never continue playing again, so I have to refresh the page or even close it and re-enter the website again, which is kind of annoying.

Oh and, forgot to mention a thing about Youtube. Sometimes the video starts playing without any audio. Usually refreshing the page fixes it, but I noticed it happening more often these days. Tried clearing history, cookies etc, but didn't help.

I'm currently testing both Netflix and Youtube, using Firefox. Will see how things will go at the end of the day.
    Also, yeah, one thing I will say about Chrome is that I find it has a MUCH harder time than Firefox with Flash. Seems to crash fairly often for me, and when it does, it affects every tab with anything flash-based on it, causing me to need to restart the browser far more often than I do with Firefox, which I only reset once I'm over ~ 60% memory usage.

Netflix is using Silverlight though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by geewhiz80 View Post
    I've never had a problem of any kind with any streaming media using Chrome. Anecdotal evidence isn't really evidence.
    Just to back him up, Chrome is notoriously awful with flash. But on the hand I find it more than perfect for Netflix (Silverlight) No point in loading heavy FF for something that plays fine in Chrome.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm using Windows 8.
    The Windows 8 Netflix App is the best option for you then. Video quality is better with it, and netflix seems to run smoother then in a browser.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    The Windows 8 Netflix App is the best option for you then. Video quality is better with it, and netflix seems to run smoother then in a browser.
    Thanks Korgoth! Didn't even know there's an App for Netflix. In fact it didn't even come to my mind to search for it in Windows store. I'll take a look at it and see.

@Cyanotical, well it seems you're actually correct on IE 10. Thing runs Youtube videos and Netflix REALLY fast! But could it be because there's no previous cache/history on it since I don't use it at all?

---------- Post added 2013-05-19 at 06:10 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rickarus View Post
    Honestly, I find the Netflix layout on PC really annoying, I much prefer it on a console, or internet TV type device (boxee, appletv, googletv, etc.)

But if you don't mind it and definitely want to run it from your computer, I'd say whichever browser you're most comfortable as a normal browser. If you use multiple screens, and want to surf while watching Netflix, I'd suggest you use a browser other than your "normal" browser, and just have Netflix on the second browser, just for a bit of flexibility.
    Sadly I don't own a console, a googleTV or Apple TV. Last console I purchased was the PS2, but good information nonetheless. I should also add that I'm a bit new to Netflix. It'll be interesting to try it with a PS4 since I might get one in the near future.