My new add-on, which may be useful for some people

So after ~18 minutes of the raid leader trying to set up assignments for the Lei Shen fight, which kept getting messed up due to a mix of senility and indecisiveness, I realized that an add-on was required.
    And so the Raidminder add-on was born!

The point is simple: plenty of fights require some raid assignments. Some of them may only be relevant 5 minutes into the fight (late phases in long fights), some of them may conflict with previous assignments (Lei Shen positions have to change a bit on second transition), sometimes in a progress run the assignments change every few minutes as you get a better idea of the fight, sometimes you're just having a very slow progress run and you wipe for a solid half hour until the relevant phase even comes up. People forget their assignments; that's natural, understandable, and very human.
    Raidminder simply gives a raid leader (and assistants) somewhere to write those assignments. You get room for a few short notes for each raid member, and whatever you write there will also appear on a little movable frame for that raider. As a convenient bonus, you can also move the frames around so you can plan the fight tactics a bit more visually (why settle for just writing "north conduit" on a few scattered frames, when you can just grab those frames and group them up at the top of your screen?).

Now, sadly, I'm new on the forum so it won't let me actually post links, but the add-on is called Raidminder and is available on wowinterface.com. I'd love to know if people think the add-on (or merely the idea) is good, or bad, or a good start that really needs more features

[Edit]
    Many people who saw this immediately wanted an add-on that let them send messages automatically as a response to boss events. So I wrote one!
    Raidbot - The easy way to lead raids
    Last edited by SirMagis; 2013-07-22 at 05:19 PM.

Seems really useful. The additional features you mention on the WoW Interface addon page both sound great, but honestly, just what it has currently is enough for me to download it when I get home and try it out. I'm the lead healer for our raid group as well as often assisting in general raid leading, so this addon could possibly save me lots of sticky notes.

Seems like a cool idea.
    Is it integrated with DBM (or possible to), so instead of random timing it's possible to let it auto trigger past certain phase ?

Quote Originally Posted by celinamuna View Post
    Is it integrated with DBM (or possible to), so instead of random timing it's possible to let it auto trigger past certain phase ?
    Everyone asks that :P
    Currently it's nothing but static notes that appear there until the raid leader changes them. If there's demand, I will look into adding something like you described. But however I imagine it, this sort of feature would probably take a lot of work for the raid leader who uses it, so I wonder if it would be as useful as it sounds.
    Last edited by SirMagis; 2013-05-19 at 09:28 PM.

This is very very useful. Will you consider adding on an ability that is something like this:

Boss Triggers Ability A
    Player gets a custom message that says Ability A is active: For example, "Its Ability A. Go DPS the Adds"

Basically, it lets the Raid Leader send automated reminders to each member to tell them what to do. Amazing if you can make this happen!

This is quite usefull, is this shared between everyone using the addon? Or do they have to add the notes themselves?

10+ Year Old Account
    If this gets integrated into DBM/BW so it can pop up with said notes, then that'd be incredibly usefull.

Are you able to save an "assignment profile" so to speak (for example - per boss, Ji-Kun for instance), or do you have to remake it every week for every boss that you make assignments for? Otherwise looks nice. But couldn't use it over On Your Mark without a save feature.

To everyone who asked about notifications/ responding to game events/ DBM:
    Currently it only has static text notes, but I am getting increasingly convinced that dynamic actions are worth implementing. I have several ideas on how to do that, but they will require a lot of research and a lot of design.

Spiralphoenix:
    It has no save feature yet, but it's a good idea and I have a few thoughts already on how to design it. I'd appreciate it if you can write a bit more on how you imagine this feature; for example, you can't just save everything exactly as it is because next time you see this boss your raid may have different players.
    The add-on you linked looks very nice and has things I can (and intend to) learn from, but I can point out a few places in the current tier where Raidminder may offer more value

Yeah I suppose I imagine it you'd have a save called say "Ji-Kun" and it would just save the current 10/25 people's notes mapped to their name itself (and maybe something else like their class to avoid duplicates? would probably be a very rare issue). Then when you reload that saved assignment profile it would compare the people's names that were saved with the current raid composition, and recover those who are part of the raid again - and the new people's notes/assignments would be blank (until you save again and it then retains that persons info too).

That's just how I'd imagine it, not sure how easy that is to pull off or if you think there's a better way.

And maybe perhaps an option to print the assignments to chat (or whisper each person separately) to avoid forcing the entire raid to have the addon. The whisper one would probably be better as the other could be really spammy.

I could definitely see raidminder having an advantage for giving people more specific individual roles and assignments. Maybe that combined with another assignment view for grouping people by a raid marker or just an arbitrary role as in OYM.

Like for Lei Shen for example, we assign world markers to the quadrants and then split people up amongst those markers - but there isn't a terribly clear way (in OYM) to represent where the members of the overcharged quadrant go in the second transition (can be done but it's not pretty), and I think your way would serve that purpose well while OYM's way is more convenient for lumping people into the initial standard groups. But yours could still accomplish it as well. Guess it just depends on how far you want to go with it in terms of convenience vs. functionality or whatever.

Hope it turns out well I'll be keeping an eye on it probably

Quote Originally Posted by Spiralphoenix View Post
    Yeah I suppose I imagine it you'd have a save called say "Ji-Kun" and it would just save the current 10/25 people's notes mapped to their name itself (and maybe something else like their class to avoid duplicates? would probably be a very rare issue). Then when you reload that saved assignment profile it would compare the people's names that were saved with the current raid composition, and recover those who are part of the raid again - and the new people's notes/assignments would be blank (until you save again and it then retains that persons info too).

That's just how I'd imagine it, not sure how easy that is to pull off or if you think there's a better way.
    I think this wouldn't be too difficult to program, but I want to make the effort to make an even easier interface.
    My current idea is to save all the sets of notes with the name of the raider they were saved for, and allow to easily assign each set either to the same raider or to another raider, which should be useful on the assumption that anyone you replace in the raid will be, well, replaced by a different person who has to fill the same role.

And maybe perhaps an option to print the assignments to chat (or whisper each person separately) to avoid forcing the entire raid to have the addon. The whisper one would probably be better as the other could be really spammy.
    This sort of negates the original idea of Raidminder, which is to keep people's assignments in sight for the whole fight. I suppose it might still help with the planning, so maybe I should still consider that approach.

Like for Lei Shen for example, we assign world markers to the quadrants and then split people up amongst those markers - but there isn't a terribly clear way (in OYM) to represent where the members of the overcharged quadrant go in the second transition (can be done but it's not pretty), and I think your way would serve that purpose well while OYM's way is more convenient for lumping people into the initial standard groups. But yours could still accomplish it as well. Guess it just depends on how far you want to go with it in terms of convenience vs. functionality or whatever.
    Why do you say that OYM more convenient for that? If you want, using Raidminder, to tell 5 people to stand on the red marker, you just write "red" on one of them and then drag that note to the other 4. Isn't that exactly the same amount of work it would take on OYM?

I apologize I haven't actually had a chance to use your addon yet so I wasn't familiar with the dragging/copying notes functionality. I had assumed needing to type it in for each person. Just browsing at work so I can't actually play around with it. That sounds nice though yeah.

I apologize for bumping an old thread, but it seemed better than making a new one.
    Due to popular demand, I made a brand new add-on that lets you set messages that will be sent automatically on specific boss events. If you liked the idea, you should check out the brand new Raidbot!

Very useful and promising addons indeed, the timed raidwide messages people have been suggesting here would add to it a lot. You should try and implement it to see if you can figure out a practical way of making it work.