10+ Year Old Account

Looking for a a cheap laptop, any tips?

My roommate's laptop broke about a week ago, and I said I'd help them try to find a new one (since it'd be hard for them to do that without a computer)

just wondering if anyone has some tips on a nice and cheap one. They don't want to use it for games or anything, mostly just to play videos and browse the web and what not. I assume they don't need anything better than an integrated graphics card? Even if they want to play movies in HD and what not.

Anyways, also wondering if there's any brand I should stay away from. Seems people have a lot of trouble with Dell, but I don't know if its just coincidence. So yeah, a few tips would help. Don't need anything very special at all, just as long as it works and doesn't break. Doesn't matter too much on size either, they're pretty easy to please.

thanks in advance for the help

Quote Originally Posted by Ms Andry View Post
    I assume they don't need anything better than an integrated graphics card? Even if they want to play movies in HD and what not.
    Yep, that's right. I'd recommend just browsing local home appliances store for the discounts of the week and pick one of those since the requirements aren't high.

Anyways, also wondering if there's any brand I should stay away from.
    Acer is the brand which is cheapest built out of the laptops that are widely available. I'd pick something with 2, preferably 3 years of warranty just for the extra comfort.

Seems people have a lot of trouble with Dell, but I don't know if its just coincidence.
    There's nothing wrong with Dell except the same thing as with car dealers: all options are incredibly expensive. If you buy straight vanilla Dell without any options it's usually good pick since they have one of the best customer supports in the business and international warranty.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the help, I'll be sure to keep in mind and check warrenties and see if I can get an Acer. I've noticed a lot of laptops seem to have a Google Chrome OS? I haven't even heard of this OS until now and I'm wondering what people think about that. I'm gonna probably google it (kind of ironic) and see what people say there too, but it's always good to get some opinions here I think

10+ Year Old Account
    Cheap laptops are fine just don't go too cheap. There is a point where it becomes a false economy and you end up with a slow underspecced machine that feels like you're swimming in treacle.

Thanks for the help, I'll be sure to keep in mind and check warrenties and see if I can get an Acer. I've noticed a lot of laptops seem to have a Google Chrome OS?
    Those are chrombooks, I recommand you to avoid them, but its just my personnal opinion, those are not like a 'normal' windows 7 (or 8) laptops
    Last edited by Punisher; 2013-05-19 at 04:25 PM.
    My first build:
    Storage: Kingston SSD Now V200+ 120G and WD Caviar Blue HDD 500 G
    Processing Units: i5-3570k @ 3.8 Ghz cooled by 212 Evo and MSI Twin Frozr 3, R7850 @ 900, 1200
    Mobo, Ram, PSU Gigabyte Z77-D3H and G.Skill ripjaw 2x 4G with XFX 550w
    If I am unreadable, its not because I hate grammar, its because Im french-canadian

and see if I can get an Acer.
    By cheapest built I mean lowest quality.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PunisherQc View Post
    Those are chrombooks, I recommand you to avoid them, but its just my personnal opinion, those are not like a 'normal' windows 7 (or 8) laptops
    Yeah, I looked them up a bit. Don't have a ton of info on it, but it kind of sounds like trouble or at least for an awkward experience.

Oh, and I misunderstood vesse, I'll keep that in mind

10+ Year Old Account
    thanks, pal, this one seems pretty legit. My roomate seems to think its nice as well and will probably go for it, I appreciate it