Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by frag971 View Post
    Unless you're in a hardcore raiding guild that does heroic modes you shouldn't worry and go for whichever you find fun.
    The differences between the specs are literally so small it won't matter. Like I said earlier, Fuzzqt of Blood Legion did just fine as DW Frost for all of progress and he's just one example.

If you're a good player, you can make Restoration DPS work. (arguable, but you get the point)
    Vereesa formerly of Paragon and Depraved
    WCL

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Samsarathedk View Post

As to your comment about using re as dw and it 'working as well' have you actually tried using re as dw? It is a dps loss, blood tap is the only effective means for gaining runes as dw frost. What you are suggesting would be like telling an unholy dk to run with re, it simply does not synchronize with the spec's playstyle. Dw frost is all about having a limitless plethora of resources to blast the boss with resulting in net gain of substantial damage through the use of essentially double the resources of 2 hand frost to make up for their high obliterate crits i.e. 2 dw frost howling blasts>= 1 2 hand frost obliterate.
    I actually leveled with runic empowerment because of frost strike and its use of rune power resource. I felt I would benefit the best off of it. So I've never actually tried blood tap to be able to say runic empowerment was a dps loss in comparison. That goes as well for UhB as well. So I'm gonna give blood tap and plague leech a try, because I do notice down time. I've tried the other suggestions provided on here so far and it's picking my dps up bit by bit...right now i'm just limited by my gear, but yeah.

One thing that kinda got to me though was tank was complaining about me always hitting Howling blast :/. I do watch when they're only pulling 1 mob or so and i'll switch to icy touch but, other than that HB is getting used. I guess most people don't really know the difference? Thanks again!!!

---------- Post added 2013-05-20 at 07:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Vereesà View Post

If you're a good player, you can make Restoration DPS work. (arguable, but you get the point)
    I actually thought of my disc priest when you said this. I'll jump into heroics now with him and...granted the players are either fresh 90's or..just bad....but my dps can get up to 35-40k when there's no damage going out and i'm using atonement. It's kind of rediculous lol.
    "If you see greedo or solo let them know the war is over..i used jabba for bait to catch the Kracken. Sorry greedo."

"The Arms warrior has pet names for all his weapons, while the Fury warrior shows up for battle drunk and half clothed."- Ghostcrawler on warriors

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by raziel083 View Post
    I actually leveled with runic empowerment because of frost strike and its use of rune power resource. I felt I would benefit the best off of it. So I've never actually tried blood tap to be able to say runic empowerment was a dps loss in comparison. That goes as well for UhB as well. So I'm gonna give blood tap and plague leech a try, because I do notice down time. I've tried the other suggestions provided on here so far and it's picking my dps up bit by bit...right now i'm just limited by my gear, but yeah.

One thing that kinda got to me though was tank was complaining about me always hitting Howling blast :/. I do watch when they're only pulling 1 mob or so and i'll switch to icy touch but, other than that HB is getting used. I guess most people don't really know the difference? Thanks again!!!
    If a tank can't take threat from you when you use howling blast then they are bad, dw frost dks aren't exactly known for their threat. I'm in a heroic progression raiding guild and I'm usually 4th or 5th (or lower) on the threat meters and am in no danger of pulling threat even on add fights like the bats on heroic Tortos or the Zandalari adds on heroic Horridon.
    Last edited by Samsarathedk; 2013-05-20 at 08:25 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    If a tank can't take from you when you use howling blast then they are bad, dw frost dks aren't exactly known for their threat. I'm in a heroic progression raiding guild and I'm usually 4th or 5th (or lower) on the threat meters and am in no danger of pulling threat even on add fights like the bats on heroic Tortos or the Zandalari adds on heroic Horridon.
    Threat wasn't even the issue lol. He didn't like that i kept hitting it....it was just that simple. I guess he figured that's all that I was spamming and didn't understand my explanation....or want to. Threat i generally don't even have a problem with because I always wait 1 or 2 secs after they pull, and my mod does indicate when i'm pulling a lot of threat which is what you said very little. When i do or start to, i back off and if i have threat i'll throw up a cd and wait for tank to pick up again. But that's really rare that it happens.
    "If you see greedo or solo let them know the war is over..i used jabba for bait to catch the Kracken. Sorry greedo."

"The Arms warrior has pet names for all his weapons, while the Fury warrior shows up for battle drunk and half clothed."- Ghostcrawler on warriors

Deleted
    Actually, you will find downtime, roughly 1-2 seconds occasionally if you do not use plague leech and use it effectively and there is ample time in dw rotation to weave it in Plague leech is one of several effective tools for a dw dk to use to keep his downtime at a minimum, choosing to neglect one of said tools results in gimping one's overall damage output and should be avoided at all costs.

As to your comment about using re as dw and it 'working as well' have you actually tried using re as dw? It is a dps loss, blood tap is the only effective means for gaining runes as dw frost. What you are suggesting would be like telling an unholy dk to run with re, it simply does not synchronize with the spec's playstyle. Dw frost is all about having a limitless plethora of resources to blast the boss with resulting in net gain of substantial damage through the use of essentially double the resources of 2 hand frost to make up for their high obliterate crits i.e. 2 dw frost howling blasts>= 1 2 hand frost obliterate.
    It's not that bad, ofc it's a loss since u're not using all runes like 2H frost does but if some can't handle it it's better than nothing. I won't ever recommend it but for whoever isn't doing any heroics it doen't matter after all.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is insane how one little trinket from ToT makes a huge difference in the whole Unholy vs both frost specs.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Humans Paladins don't have "a lot of lore" behind them.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sett View Post
    It is insane how one little trinket from ToT makes a huge difference in the whole Unholy vs both frost specs.
    Yeah gotta love Ji-Kun's Heroic Feather Blight :P

Well..dual wield frost is better than 2h frost right?
    Can't say ive seen any lvl 120 frost dks that don't dw. Maybe i'm not looking hard enough.
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzqt View Post
    My apologies for being six years too late to respond
    I knew DKs practiced necromancy, but this is too far.

Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    Well..dual wield frost is better than 2h frost right?
    Can't say ive seen any lvl 120 frost dks that don't dw. Maybe i'm not looking hard enough.
    You're unable to use a two-handed weapon as a Frost DK since Legion untill now.

Quote Originally Posted by Futhark View Post
    I knew DKs practiced necromancy, but this is too far.
    That's what I thought aswell. Christ.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.