Megaera 10 man - what are we doing wrong?

Hello!

We've had 38 wipes so far on Megaera, and we really think it'd be about time we'd get it down. Our DPS seems to be fine, last night we were barely getting 3 stacks on the tanks, it looks like we are struggling with the healing a bit. We've gotten to the last head a couple of times, but what always seem to wipe us is Cinders. Towards the end, people are getting pretty much one shotted before healers can even dispel them. So far we have only tried the Green-Red-Green-Red tactic.

I believe our healers are doing everything they can on this fight, and the DPS are helping too with extra healing and def cd's, are there any major mistakes you can spot?

If you think everyone is doing their job, then maybe should we try taking some blue's in? Will that help the healers?

Here are the logs from last week: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-7l2bqt889zb9y5k7/
    And the logs from this week, but we were missing our warlock and our druid tank: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-tsgxb6es65br7jvz/ (Yes at the end we tried to 4 heal it but it was even worse than our previous tries, I guess everyone was too tired, ignore those :P)

Deleted
    May be worth not following only the green-red-green red tactic, if you break up the pattern with some blues in there, damage taken is just overall lower. Only issue with killing blues is that healers may get fucked by rng with the frost trails as cinders are coming in. Personally would recommend killing some blue heads just to eas up on tank damage as well as less cinders damage.

We've had a much easier time with just doing blue red, blue red and ignoring the green one. The amount of acid attacks can really put a strain on the healing in the end and without them healing is more or less not even needed.

This is coming from a 25 man perspective tho, only done it the normal (green, red, blue) way in 10 man.

Deleted
    I see you struggling with this boss. I give you tips, how we are doing it on this boss.

Tips:
    1. The order will be G - R - G - R - G - R - G
    2. Threw hero at 5th rampage! Very important because that is a nasty phase.
    3. At the 3th rampage you want to dispel the cinders right away. Because that is going to hurt you.
    4. Give your healers a list from which head they had to threw their heavy healing CD. For example: 1. Druid, 2. Shaman 3.Priest, 4. no use of CD needed just heal much of you can. 5. Shaman and the last rampage should everyone heal the shit out of it.
    5. When the acid rain is going to fall ran away for like 20 yards.
    6. When a rampage phase is gone spread much as possible use the room. But not in the lane where you need to walk.
    7. At every rampage stack.
    8. And at every rampage let your shaman threw his healing rain and his totem ( I am not sure about that). And at the last phase let your shammy dps heal the last head.

This is how we are doing it and this brought us to a one shot.

Goodluck mate.

The best tip is: Don't kill 3 green heads of the first 6 heads (last head's color doesn't matter).

Hello fellow Saurfanger!

Looking at http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...survivability/ you really do have a problem with cinders but there's also dps'ers standing in the breath or getting hit by the green explosions for 150 k ish on top of cinders etc. Just take a look at:
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r.../spell/137731/
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r.../spell/139842/
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r.../spell/139839/
    Some of that will be from wiping on purpose but basically your dps seem have a fondness for standing in the cone :P

I think taking a blue head might be a good idea just so you don't have so many explosions + people running around in a panic to the point where they get hit by a breath. Plus less overall damage since now the blue head is stacking the buff pretty high.

As for cinders here's an example of why it's going wrong:

[19:44:28.652] Acid Rain Acid Rain Plakkie 160875
    [19:44:30.667] Plakkie Renew Plakkie +13495
    [19:44:30.909] Flaming Head Cinders Plakkie 136500
    [19:44:31.515] Elzabet Healing Stream Totem Plakkie +*70664*
    [19:44:31.866] Flaming Head Cinders Plakkie 74587
    [19:44:32.740] Elzabet Riptide Plakkie +23805
    [19:44:32.944] Flaming Head Cinders Plakkie 74587
    [19:44:32.944] Plakkie Renew Plakkie +13494
    [19:44:33.161] Elzabet Healing Stream Totem Plakkie +35775
    [19:44:33.891] Flaming Head Cinders Plakkie 74587
    [19:44:33.955] Cinders Cinders Plakkie 51986 (O: 52437)
    [19:44:34.316] Plakkie dies

So he had cinders for 4 seconds and didn't get a single direct heal (even from himself :P). Another one:

[21:06:39.705] Acid Rain Acid Rain Daftpunk 153626
    [21:06:41.949] Flaming Head Cinders Daftpunk 116025
    [21:06:42.448] Elzabet Ancestral Awakening Daftpunk +33782
    [21:06:42.855] Flaming Head Cinders Daftpunk 82875
    [21:06:43.762] Flaming Head Cinders Daftpunk 6947 (O: 75928)
    [21:06:44.141] Daftpunk dies

Almost no heals at all!

I'd suggest assigning a healer to cinder duty; others should help as well but just tell one guy their absolute prio throughout the fight is focusing on cinder targets; healing and dispelling them. The healers can for sure see cinders debuff on their healing frames and everyone has a bossmod or weak aura that doesn't allow them to miss they have cinders?

Also if you want to compare, here's our firstkill back when ToT came out: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/k...?s=1752&e=2287
    - that's a fair bit more dps than you guys are pulling so maybe trying to step it up a bit would also help.
    Last edited by Summer; 2013-05-20 at 09:56 AM.

For our first kill (pre-nerf) we went Blue-Red-Green-Blue-Red-Green-Blue. This keeps the number of Acid Rains down (which actually do a fair ammount of AoE dmg) but does mean you'll have to run with the ice. You shouldn't be scared of this though... it's not that hard. Just tell everyone to stay at max range, when it comes, just run to the back of the room, have your Warlock make a Gateway so people who ran to the back can simply take the gateway back to the bosses (ensure this is quite close to the edge, as the rest can easily get a cinders or whatever on it).

What we do in HC is simply dispell the Cinders near-instantly regardless of where people are (which takes a little coordination beforehand with positioning).

As mentioned by others, in 10man taking just two heads repeatedly strains the healers unnecessarily imo.

I can see from logs that Acid Rain is doing anywhere from 140-170k dmg to your raid, x10 people that's 1.4-1.7 million dmg (realistically more like 900k). If you got Ice instead, if that one person runs correctly without getting hit, even if it's a healer, you just saved yourself 1mil healing.

Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post
    Hello fellow Saurfanger!

Looking at http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...survivability/ you really do have a problem with cinders but there's also dps'ers standing in the breath or getting hit by the green explosions for 150 k ish on top of cinders etc. Just take a look at:
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r.../spell/137731/
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r.../spell/139842/
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r.../spell/139839/
    Some of that will be from wiping on purpose but basically your dps seem have a fondness for standing in the cone :P
    I didn't really look into that, as the healers didn't say anything about people taking extra damage from the breath, so thanks for pointing it out, but I was looking at each wipe and apart from a couple of mistakes, most damage is taken at the end of the fight, so yeah, defo cause of a wipe

As for cinders here's an example of why it's going wrong:

[19:44:28.652] Acid Rain Acid Rain Plakkie 160875
    [19:44:30.667] Plakkie Renew Plakkie +13495
    [19:44:30.909] Flaming Head Cinders Plakkie 136500
    [19:44:31.515] Elzabet Healing Stream Totem Plakkie +*70664*
    [19:44:31.866] Flaming Head Cinders Plakkie 74587
    [19:44:32.740] Elzabet Riptide Plakkie +23805
    [19:44:32.944] Flaming Head Cinders Plakkie 74587
    [19:44:32.944] Plakkie Renew Plakkie +13494
    [19:44:33.161] Elzabet Healing Stream Totem Plakkie +35775
    [19:44:33.891] Flaming Head Cinders Plakkie 74587
    [19:44:33.955] Cinders Cinders Plakkie 51986 (O: 52437)
    [19:44:34.316] Plakkie dies

So he had cinders for 4 seconds and didn't get a single direct heal (even from himself :P). Another one:

[21:06:39.705] Acid Rain Acid Rain Daftpunk 153626
    [21:06:41.949] Flaming Head Cinders Daftpunk 116025
    [21:06:42.448] Elzabet Ancestral Awakening Daftpunk +33782
    [21:06:42.855] Flaming Head Cinders Daftpunk 82875
    [21:06:43.762] Flaming Head Cinders Daftpunk 6947 (O: 75928)
    [21:06:44.141] Daftpunk dies

Almost no heals at all!

I'd suggest assigning a healer to cinder duty; others should help as well but just tell one guy their absolute prio throughout the fight is focusing on cinder targets; healing and dispelling them. The healers can for sure see cinders debuff on their healing frames and everyone has a bossmod or weak aura that doesn't allow them to miss they have cinders?
    Yeah we had this problem with some tank deaths too, no direct healing for several seconds... As for the cinders healing/dispelling we have got our disc priest shielding as soon as they get cinders, then all healers should be focusing on them and we decided towards the end of the night to dispel people straight away (ranged are already at the back so we didn't have puddles in the middle of the room).

Thank you for your help Summer, defo have to work on focusing healing on targets affected by cinders, will tell everyone to watch out where they are standing and will try to kill some blue heads too (any suggested order?)

I'd just put the blue in the middle, I think:

green - > red -> green -> blue -> green -> red

was what we originally did. Although I've since changed my mind a bit about so many green heads, blue isn't really that bad to dea lwith as long as ranged dps stay at max range. On HM the common tactic is to kill no green heads at all :P

The problem with saying all healers should focus on something is... when it's everyone's job it's usually no-one's job :P Not to mention if they all singlemindedly switch to cinders you might lose a tank in the meanwhile.

Good luck with the kill^^

What we do is 2-healing it and ignoring greens, and have done so since our first kill. Should a healer get blue ray (happens A LOT) we just pop CDs and survive without trouble. Not that heads hit for anything outside 3+ breaths tbh, and that rarely happens due to having 6 DPS.

Here's our last week log, with 1 trial with kinda low DPS and 1 DC mid-fight: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/nz9g3...?s=3339&e=3728

If you compare your 9th try vs our kill (same amount of time) you took 104497075 dmg, and we took 107117084.

2 million damage difference, we got 6 rampages, you got 4. More than enough to make up for that.

If you are dying to damage (and ONLY damage) as seem to be the case, not killing greens gives you less damage on the raid, at the cost of people moving.

EDIT: Also keep in mind that rampaging heads cast no skills, so more DPS = less cinders/beams.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valech View Post
    5 easy steps for maximum win:
    - use two camps. camp A is located between Red and Blue, Camp B is located between Blue and Green. Start at Camp B and alternate them.
    - Use GRGRBRB ~ Only very few blue beams, minimum of poison bombs. You need to instadispell the red debuff thou.
    - Bloodlust at the FIFTH rampage. Note, that that is NOT the last rampage. BL at rampage 5 will ensure, that the sixth head (being red) will be dead or almost dead right after the rampage. Which will hinder the blue head to shoot his beams (no beams/debuffs/poisonbombs during rampage)
    - If you happen to have a warlock here´s the plan: let them place a portal between the Camps and as far away as possible. When you start beating the last head (which could be blue cause everyone can reach it easily) the beams will start to shoot (remember: during head 6 no beams cause bloodlust rampage 5). Kite the beam straight out of the camp to the portal in the back (not the one between the camps!), use portal, start dps/healing. The beam won´t veer reach you.
    - Some minor shenanigans: 1) Let the better geared tank start to tank blue right at the beginning. It will rotate so that he has the blue head when you kill it at first (fifth head). due to the haste buff a head receives when not killed, this head will deal a lot of melee damage. 2) your healers need a clear rotation for each rampage. first three rampages do not need cooldowns longer than 1 minute. 3) Don´t stack up as melees. never stack up with the tank. After head 5 you need to instadispell the debuff, don´t place it in the most retarded position possible.

Use three healers.

Good luck.
    Have fun and good luck

10+ Year Old Account
    Your hunter has insufficient uptime on serpent sting, it is only at 15%, he needs to make sure he re-applies it when a new head comes out. Your frost DK seems to have used soul reaper only 12 times throughout all of your attempts, I don't know much about DKs but I'm fairly certain not using your execute ability during execute phases is poor play. Your lock has bad uptime on Corruption relative to their uptime on Doom. If your dps don't fix their mistakes you're gonna have a rough time of it regardless of strategy used. If your dps fix those mistakes you should be able to kill each head before 3rd breath.
    Last edited by TEHPALLYTANK; 2013-05-20 at 01:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Your hunter has insufficient uptime on serpent sting, it is only at 15%, he needs to make sure he re-applies it when a new head comes out. Your frost DK seems to have used soul reaper only 12 times throughout all of your attempts, I don't know much about DKs but I'm fairly certain not using your execute ability during execute phases is poor play. Your lock has bad uptime on Corruption relative to their uptime on Doom. If your dps don't fix their mistakes you're gonna have a rough time of it regardless of strategy used. If your dps fix those mistakes you should be able to kill each head before 3rd breath.
    Thank you for spotting those mistakes, will tell them to look into it!

Deleted
    We also started with the Green-Red tactic on progression but eventually we ended up going G-R-G-R-B-R-G

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonlily View Post
    Here are my tips since we are pretty casual raiders aswell. First we tried all possible combinations and had the healers decide which they liked the most. It came down to G-R-G-R-G-R-G. That is the same you do. Your HPS and DPS is ok. So it has to be either the cooldown usage on tanks, healers going OOM, bad (late) dispells or bad movement.

Regarding your logs the problem is pretty clear. It is your tanks. You have the DK on the blue+red.

When we first had those issues we made sure our tanks managed their cooldowns properly. This means a special before every second breath.

I tank this encounter as a warrior with a monk tank buddy. I tank blue + red. He tanks green + blue. We both net 40k incomding dps each. Your DK has 70k damage taken per second and your warrior has 50k. This is insanity.

I suggest you switch tanks. Make sure the warrior uses shield block all the time and shield barrier on breath. Use shield wall only on the red head and only on the second breath. Make sure your DK has a high absorb shield ready on each breath aswell + antimagic.

Make sure you use all your raids dps and single dps cooldowns only on the red head. This is very important. Data analysis shows the huge damage of the red dot so you have to make sure the red head never gets out a 3rd breath ever.

You have two skull banners. This is pretty OP since you will get a red head ~ every 1.5 minutes. Basically it can work like this: Tank puts down demo banner + after that skull banner on 1. red head. The dps warrior does the same on the 2. red head. This all comes down to making the red head live as short as possible. This is pretty important on the G-R tactic because in the head AOE phase there will be no bombs/debuffs.

The other stuff I can suggest. Ranged dps on max range. Healers between melees and ranged dps. Everyone stays spread 8yards (even melee).

Dispell the red debuff as soon as possible. The debuff ticks for way more damage than the ground effect. So dispell it asap and just move out of the red zone.

When the green bomb is arriving grab your feet or your magic absorbs and make sure to take as few damage as possible. Get away from that green zone or make yourself immune.

In the head AOE phase rotate raid cooldowns and each player should use every absorb ability he has as often as possible to mitigate damage.
    We use Tranquility on the third and between the fifth and sixth phase. (We have enough raid cooldowns ready for the sixth phase so we use it inbetween to make sure everyone stays up)

Sidenote...make your life easier. Install Skada with the Damage taken module. On new encounters always try to figure out what does the most damage, what kills people and how to mitigate that shit.
    Last edited by mmoc48efa32b91; 2013-05-21 at 02:38 PM.

I've never even thought of ignoring the green head. We generally do green, red, blue (normal way), we use defensive CDs for all rampages except 1, I think & try to save our healthstones for that one? BL at 5th rampage.

Make sure cinder people are running into ice patches & ice people run into fire pools to make room.
    We do the same w/ healers between melee & ranged, all spread out.

We did it last week w/ 2 healers (we usually have 3). I'm sure it helps that we run 2 rogues & we take a lot less dmg anyone else w/ feint/elusiveness & smoke bomb w/ glyph is pretty sweet. It's nice not to be a useless rogue anymore

Quote Originally Posted by zorker View Post
    I suggest you switch tanks. Make sure the warrior uses shield block all the time and shield barrier on breath. Use shield wall only on the red head and only on the second breath. Make sure your DK has a high absorb shield ready on each breath aswell + antimagic.
    All the breaths are magical damage, so Blood Shield doesn't work, if more than anything, ensure that you can get 2x DS off during the breath for high shields to prepare for the melees and also healing yourself during breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlily View Post
    Hello!

We've had 38 wipes so far on Megaera, and we really think it'd be about time we'd get it down. Our DPS seems to be fine, last night we were barely getting 3 stacks on the tanks, it looks like we are struggling with the healing a bit. We've gotten to the last head a couple of times, but what always seem to wipe us is Cinders. Towards the end, people are getting pretty much one shotted before healers can even dispel them. So far we have only tried the Green-Red-Green-Red tactic.

I believe our healers are doing everything they can on this fight, and the DPS are helping too with extra healing and def cd's, are there any major mistakes you can spot?

If you think everyone is doing their job, then maybe should we try taking some blue's in? Will that help the healers?
    And the logs from thieek, but we were Yes at the end we tried to 4 heal it but it was even worse than our previous tries, I guess everyone was too tired, ignore those :P)

Hello Seelean here if your still having problems please read this carefully, we were stuck on Meg for 2weeks and downed Meg w/in 4attempts of this strat (also our raid compos are pretty close).

Try doing G, R, G, R, BLUE!!! R, G
    This will take your overall Acid Rain from 21.7M (from your longest attempt over 7mins) to around 14 to 17M (you are heavy MDPS, so hard to avoid multiple targets selecting multiple melee later on in the encounter.
    The blue put in at 5 head killed minimizes your healers movement for 5/7 of the encounter (also stay with 3H strat, but you will want more than 1/5 DPS over 100k or more towards the 90s you had 3 in mid 70s which is so so)

Have your warlock put a portal in middle of the back room and centered distance to boss (this should be about 35yds out from the boss heads, line it up directly in front of the blue head, and have other end of portal about 10yds from the heads (total portal distance bet ends roughly 25yds). This wi make it much easier to stack quicker for each rampage.

I used range 12 (safety factor) and set up 3 raid markers 12yds apart from each other roughly 15 to 20yds from the heads, while putting the last 2 raid markers bet the 3 in front exactly 35yds (most range abilities csst range) from the heads (if your warlock is destro he want like this b/c DPS loss to Rain of Fife, but the raid needs to be ell spread to minimize Acid Rain DMG! The 5 raid markets really help your RDPS and he's get back into position fast and be at Mac range as possible (no DPS loss due to range).

Have 1 Or more Raid Survival CDs for Rampages 4,5,6 this is a must!!!have Disc PRS SS for all rampages, have prot warrior, Demo Banner/Rallying Cry every other Rampage after 3 (ie 4,5, 6) this ei be in addition to PW: Barrier, Incarnation, Tranquil, SLT have 1 of those 4 a avail for last 6, I recommend coupling tranquil at end of Ramp 6, keep in mind all Ramps last 20s and CDs are 10-12s, to off set this have your restroom Druid plant 3 mushrooms ahead of time st the next stacking zone for the next up coming Ramp( this needs to be done right out of the last ramp, so his shrooms are really big, and entire raid will get healed for close to 2M (200k heal to all) while stacked and Raid CD is just ending (last 5s of Rampages), if he waits until the end it's a nice way to top everyone off b4 spreading out and making harder to heal everyone up.

For your Druid tank (that's me in our raid)
    Have him make a focus macro to FF focus target, this will allow him to get 8-12hits on the head uour killing whèn warrior is on that head, Aka actual effective Raid DMG, b/c DPS to off head doesn't matter! I also use màul macro with Lscerate,thrash, FF when I'm on current head, this allows mè to mangle faster by not clicking mauls! So I do more DMG on head that needs to die. PLEASE NOTE I do not use the macros when on off head, I save the rage for mitigation/heals and just FF off head, even over Mangles! This wi drop his DMG output, but again put more DMG on the proper head, if he's squishy and dying, use Mangle over FF in priority to keep himself up easier.

All in all the blue head in the middle shaves several million DMG off making the encounter much much easier! 2weeks of attempts vs 4 attempts you decide which is easier!

After WoL dot com /reports/rt-2pfo53txpywvz0nx/

Sorry MMO still won't let me post hyper links copy and paste the report location above and put after the WoL dot com domain to see our attempts from last Thursday.

Here are the logs for our 4attempts and ki attempt we made it to theist head every attempt and got him fown finally!!!!
    Btw Ji-Kun is mad easy we killed on our 3rd attempt had a DPS die st 50% and Healer glitch out and couldn't heal (8man it from 50%with BL and no one on nests after 50% health, you may need to lust and abandon eggs later all depends on your DPS (we 2 well 1.5 healed :P Ji-Kun).

Good Luck and get them both down!!!!!

Seelean
    Guardian Troll Druid 519ai
    US-Llane