Quote Originally Posted by Gilian View Post
    It sounds more like you are defending the xbox because you are a fan.

You are now giving a nice spin to advertisement. Advertisement is advertisement. 99% of the advertisement I see I actually don't want to see but they show it so it gets stuck in my head with the goal to make me buy a certain product. There is really barely anything positive about it.
    Advertisement isn't completely bad, you got to get your product out there afterall, but forcing it onto people is. TV commercials are out of control (commercials are almost as long as the shows/movies on TV), the spam you get on Facebook and Youtube... (luckily there is adblock). You want to see this cool video? First watch this shit.

"Microsoft hopes to use the voice recognition features of the new Kinect to deliver targeted advertisements to individual users."

I applaud you for trying to spin this as if it's a good thing for consumers . And no one really wants to hear about advertisement on the xbox one at this time, actually never.
    I explain or even defend not because I am a fan but to give another example of what it can be. I never gave a nice spin to advertisement I just stated that they do the same on the xbox 360 and if you don't like I can understand. Based on the dashboard they showed at the E3 it seems like these advertisement are just going to be the same as

link here for E3 picture. They just show recommended games, dlc's, arcade games, new releases and sales each in their own category. I don't see that as something that should annoy me but if it does for you well I guess you don't like steam either. Not that steam is the exact same(not even close) but they also show new releases,dlc and sales.

But we can never be sure what they mean with advertisement.
    Last edited by Ridethelight; 2013-07-02 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridethelight View Post
    I explain or even defend not because I am a fan but to give another example of what it can be. I never gave a nice spin to advertisement I just stated that they do the same on the xbox 360 and if you don't like I can understand. Based on the dashboard they showed at the E3 it seems like these advertisement are just going to be the same as

link here for E3 picture. They just show recommended games, dlc's, arcade games, new releases and sales each in their own category. I don't see that as something that should annoy me but if it does for you well I guess you don't like steam either. Not that steam is the exact same(not even close) but they also show new releases,dlc and sales.

I have the feeling that it will have something to do with the TV programs ... not sure why else they would go to such lengths just to target game adds. They will have your game library, jamming adds based on that should be targeted enough. Putting the targeted adds in context of watching TV that family members not interested in games can potentially do on your xbox ... makes much more sense then. But who knows.

Bottom line is Xbox1 as a gaming console has so much non gaming stuff released about it and so little gaming stuff ... who are these features for.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

I don't know about you but before I stopped playing Xbox360 a couple months back I was still getting advertisement's for old spice and other stupid advertisement's on my xbox. The thing is I get it if a silver member see's those its so MS makes some money but if your a gold member then it should not be there.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    Seriously, Steve Ballmer is amazing. He's got more energy in him that most executive staffs can muster collectively.
    A pity he is kind of a nutter. Not the "good" kind either.

---------- Post added 2013-07-02 at 01:05 PM ----------

Got to say, MS really screw it up with the press this time round ...

What did they do? Piss of their interviewer sent to them by ranting at him? (To be honest, I won't be surprised, given MS's recent track record at dealing with the press. "Are you part of the development team?")

Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    I have the feeling that it will have something to do with the TV programs ... not sure why else they would go to such lengths just to target game adds. They will have your game library, jamming adds based on that should be targeted enough. Putting the targeted adds in context of watching TV that family members not interested in games can potentially do on your xbox ... makes much more sense then. But who knows.

Bottom line is Xbox1 as a gaming console has so much non gaming stuff released about it and so little gaming stuff ... who are these features for.
    They prob have tv ads and movie ads but they got their own category. I agree that is has much non gaming stuff but what can a console do other then put the disc in or download the game and play it. Adding stuff like live streaming and make your own video's makes the experience better at least imo.

I don't know about you but before I stopped playing Xbox360 a couple months back I was still getting advertisement's for old spice and other stupid advertisement's on my xbox. The thing is I get it if a silver member see's those its so MS makes some money but if your a gold member then it should not be there.
    lol I can't remember what kind of ads I got. I mean last week I had something with the cloud, they made a special page for it. This week I got the cod ad for the new black ops dlc. The thing is I don't think there should be that kind of ads what you were talking about but for me it doesn't matter anymore. Ads are everywhere now and there is not much we can do about it :/ My experience from my vacation in America is that it is even worse there.

They prob have tv ads and movie ads but they got their own category. I agree that is has much non gaming stuff but what can a console do other then put the disc in or download the game and play it. Adding stuff like live streaming and make your own video's makes the experience better at least imo.

lol I can't remember what kind of ads I got. I mean last week I had something with the cloud, they made a special page for it. This week I got the cod ad for the new black ops dlc. The thing is I don't think there should be that kind of ads what you were talking about but for me it doesn't matter anymore. Ads are everywhere now and there is not much we can do about it :/ My experience from my vacation in America is that it is even worse there.
    Except there is something we can do about it. We can tell them we don't like it and we can not buy the Xbone if they don't change this stupid decision.

10+ Year Old Account
    dat edge cover haven't seen so much bad press even the Ps 3 release price.

Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    A pity he is kind of a nutter. Not the "good" kind either.

---------- Post added 2013-07-02 at 01:05 PM ----------

Got to say, MS really screw it up with the press this time round ...

What did they do? Piss of their interviewer sent to them by ranting at him? (To be honest, I won't be surprised, given MS's recent track record at dealing with the press. "Are you part of the development team?")
    Wow, what interview? I do adore drame like this! That's pretty damning though, a rather well respected gaming and tech magazine telling it's readers "Go buy a PS4!"

You said that people shouldn't complain about advertisement but why not? Because Sony does it too? Or it happened before? Those are not reasons to just accept it.

And using the Kinect for better advertising. That just sounds like fucking over your customers. Pay $100 for this feature so we can gain more information to manipulate you.
    I'm not going to act like no other company does that but it is not something you want your consumers to know and maybe it's a good move to just BACK OFF for some time to please your customers instead of trying to make more profit. For MS it's really time to give us something, like in actually doing something for the consumers. Make us happy!

Can someone tell me how advertisement is on the PS3?
    Last edited by Gilian; 2013-07-03 at 12:27 PM.

You said that people shouldn't complain about advertisement but why not? Because Sony does it too? Or it happened before? Those are not reasons to just accept it.

And using the Kinect for better advertising. That just sounds like fucking over your customers. Pay $100 for this feature so we can gain more information to manipulate you.
    I'm not going to act like no other company does that but it is not something you want your consumers to know and maybe it's a good move to just BACK OFF for some time to please your customers instead of trying to make more profit. For MS it's really time to give us something, like in actually doing something for the consumers. Make us happy!

Since when did I say people should not complain about advertisements? You can complain all you want about it if you want to, I just said that it might not be what you think it is. I can't really judge the kinect because I don't really know how it will work untill the xbox one hits the market.

10+ Year Old Account
    When you go over the PS store icon you get the list of games and stuff.
    Every once in a while you get some little scrolling text in the top right next to all the friend / message icons and such. Takes up maybe 4-5% of the screen. That's about all I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Totori View Post
    Every once in a while you get some little scrolling text in the top right next to all the friend / message icons and such. Takes up maybe 4-5% of the screen. That's about all I remember.
    Which you can also turn off, by the way.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Ya this won't be abused at all.

And to add a little more fuel to the fire

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqzEKKJO1Do

The Japanese launch of the Xbox One has been met with uncertainty ever since it was announced, but in a recent interview with Japanese site 4gamer, Yasuyuki Higuchi, President of Microsoft Japan, confirmed that the new console will be available in the country next year.
    In the same interview that has been posted Microsoft calls Japan a Tier 2 country....what a great way to improve your image in the japan console market Microsoft.

Ok I got to ask who is doing PR over at Microsoft??????????
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2013-07-03 at 10:26 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post

[video=youtub;Qi5U5FDQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi51jwU5F[/vido]

In the same interview that has been posted Microsoft calls Japan a Tier 2 country....what a great way to improve your image in the japan console market Microsoft.

Doesn't Microsoft have like, zero hold in the Japanese market as is? Hell, you've even surprised me, had no idea that they even had offices in Japan.

At this point, I'm just praying that they have a repeat of the 360 launch fiasco, with Ones bursting into flames and speaking in tongues. It'd be the most juciest cherry on this wonderfully creamy treat of mediocrity.
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

Yeah, Microsofts footprint in Japan is almost nonexistent in terms of the Xbox. They've made a big deal of trying to "crack it open" a few times, but they never seem to follow up with whatever plans they have and things just continue on as usual. Japan is still firmly in the grasp of Nintendo and Sony, while Microsoft has more of a hold in the West (at least North America).

And yeah, the player rating system can totally be abused, but it also can work pretty well. The League community has improved since they started engaging players in self moderation more and more (it's still shit, but it's slightly less shitty), Valve is working on it a bit with CS:GO, and a few other games have implemented similar practices.

So while it's totally possible to abuse the hell out of it, IIRC it's worked out more often than not. I'm actually pretty happy to see it go in and hope Sony comes out with something similar.

10+ Year Old Account
    Player ratings should exist on all things internet including mmo champ, I really feel that communities generally work better with the ability to downvote/ostracise bad people, of course it can be abused but I still have some faith in the gaming/online community... not much, but some. This is actually a good move from microsoft for a change.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2013-07-04 at 05:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post

Maybe the reputation thing will be abused but don't you think they will counter that with something. I mean reporting your teammate or opponent for something they didn't do is something they will hopefully monitor or whatever. Maybe judge on multiple reports in a short amount of time just like in league.

If I can remember correct the xbox 360 sold like 1.2-1.6 million in Japan vs the ps3 with 7-9+ million. So yeah Japan is a tier 2 country if we're strictly talking about sales numbers. So no it is not an insult or whatever like you bring it, xbox 360 did crap in Japan and they see no reason to bring it there on release when they will likely not buy or at least not in big numbers.
    Last edited by Ridethelight; 2013-07-04 at 07:32 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe the reputation thing will be abused but don't you think they will counter that with something. I mean reporting your teammate or opponent for something they didn't do is something they will hopefully monitor or whatever. Maybe judge on multiple reports in a short amount of time just like in league.
    I doubt that'd be remotely possible. League of Legends is only one game. For a console system expanding an entire network from multiple games and networks, it'll have to only be peer based.
    I doubt MS would hire the manpower just to monitor activities for these types of things with knowledge of all these games.

Most people don't up 'rep' people in game, and the down 'rep' will include people that may think someone is a hacker but isn't, ragers or just the aforementioned abusers.
    If for whatever example a bunch of friends / clan hates you and you get down repped into let's say the 'bad group' where you're playing with all these nut jobs, then how are you going to get out of it. By the 'idea' of it, you may be the most perfect online poster child, but when you're stuck in a group of people whom presumably are crazy raging insane people, how are you supposed to get +rep out of it.

Also I believe League of Legend are only reports, not +rep / -rep type of system.

I'll be honest. That rep system looks like comedy. I laugh a lot more and have more fun when I have nut jobs on my team that, once they've exposed themselves, I can talk mad shit to just to see their reactions. Maybe I'm a terrible person but it doesn't happen too often.

Since when did I say people should not complain about advertisements? You can complain all you want about it if you want to, I just said that it might not be what you think it is. I can't really judge the kinect because I don't really know how it will work untill the xbox one hits the market.
    This is what I get from that article, look at the xbox 360 dashboard now there is maybe 1 ad now which isn't even an ad but an redirect to an informative page about the whole cloud thing or something. What you see is blocks with recommended games/dlc/sales and music/movies/apps in their own category.

Serious I feel like a lot of people just come here to only bash the xbox one/Microsoft. Well good for you, we know you will buy a ps4 but if you only come here to bash then please leave this thread because you bring nothing to this discussion. Stop this fucking circlejerk it is already going on for far to long, you don't like the xbox one or MS well thanks for stating your opinion but we get it now.
    Here you basically call it bashing the xbox one because we are PS4 fanboys. That's the same as saying we shouldn't complain about this which we have all the right to and there is nothing wrong with that (this is a xbox one discussion afterall).

- - - Updated - - -

On xbox360 there is already some sort of reputation system (which barely anyone uses). I never talk to people on XBL, I don't even have a mic, I simply play the games and only have a few people in my friendslist who I play with. My reputation is apparently bad because a few players pointed out they would never want to play with me again. Most likely because I killed them in BF3 or something. It's a useless system.

From watching that video I don't see what is going to be different this time around. Only if everyone was forced to give +rep or -rep for every player they encounter something like this works and no one wants to do that.
    If they want to put such a system in place so players can moderate themselves then do it right and don't come with some useless system just so you can say you tried something to make yourself look good or something.
    Last edited by Gilian; 2013-07-04 at 07:36 AM.