Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by SherbertLand View Post
    Well first off, a symphony is not a song, so you may want to be more accurate when you're saying everything is a reference to one thing. You're getting as bad as a conspiracy theorist. But I guess everyone is a victim of confirmation bias at some point.
    Blizzard puts a ton of pop culture/music/gaming references into their games, it is not confirmation bias.

Are you going to tell me next that the blonde blood elf in Shattrath named Haris Pilton isn't a reference to the hotel heiress?

also

Well first off, a symphony is not a song, so you may want to be more accurate when you're saying everything is a reference to one thing.
    /headdesk

10+ Year Old Account
    Well first off, a symphony is not a song, so you may want to be more accurate when you're saying everything is a reference to one thing. You're getting as bad as a conspiracy theorist. But I guess everyone is a victim of confirmation bias at some point.
    .....really? I'm going to assume you're trolling.

Some things just are references. That's what Blizzard does...they have a lot of references to pop culture. "Winter is coming" being used as a boss quote while an immensely popular tv show is airing with the same phrase is hardly coincidence. I suppose that Linken is just a gnome that coincidentally resembles Link, with quests that coincidentally reference popular memes?

Although I agree that there aren't as many things that Celista claims...nor is Kingslayer any reference to ASOIAF

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Blizzard puts a ton of pop culture/music/gaming references into their games, it is not confirmation bias.

Are you going to tell me next that the blonde blood elf in Shattrath named Haris Pilton isn't a reference to the hotel heiress?

also

/headdesk
    I'm not saying Blizzard doesn't make pop culture references, I'm saying it's not all one series.

Stood in the Fire themightysven's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    Could be. They have a lot of Game of Thrones references in WoW which suddenly make sense to me now that I am watching the series (the whole watcher on the wall thing in Panderia for example) which indicates that the game designers are aware of GoT.
    the watcher on the wall is found not only in the Crab Clan of Legend of Five Rings, but also in China's History
    Ewok Sith Lords are all about Agility

10+ Year Old Account
    Well first off, a symphony is not a song, so you may want to be more accurate when you're saying everything is a reference to one thing.
    ... Come on now. Sure, Kingslayer may or may not be a direct reference, but is there really any doubt about "A Symphony of Frost and Flame"?

Quote Originally Posted by themightysven View Post
    the watcher on the wall is found not only in the Crab Clan of Legend of Five Rings, but also in China's History
    The "watcher on the wall" thing is what the Shado-pan actually say when you click on them. Which is also a line in the Night's Watch oath. Is there a Crab Clan oath that contains that line? Or an old Chinese oath?

Here are the exact lines of the Night's Watch oath:

"I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. "

Here are the exact Shado-pan quotes in the game:

"We are the sword in the shadows"
    "We are the watchers on the wall""
    Last edited by SamR; 2013-05-23 at 08:52 PM.

Deleted
    (and in the books that were released by the time when the Lich King was killed, Jaime Lannister was a minor character) in a book series - that, at the time, was not even very popular -
    1. Minor Character? He is still alive which makes him pretty major.

2. Not even popular? Well, not as popular as it is now, but it is CRAZY popular right now. It had a huge following even before the HBO series, especially amongst Fantasy-geeks - which very likely can be said about a lot of RPG-developers I would think.

We will never know for sure and it fits the LIch King of course, but I wouldn´t rule out the possibilty that it was an hommage to GRRM as well.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyxxi View Post
    All I see in this thread (aside from the derailing discussion about how popular GoT is) is people trying to refute the title reference even being a possibility, its like you have insider knowledge that the title is 100% not connected to the show. How can you know that?

The topic title is a question, not a statement of fact, open your minds to possibilities different to your own opinion

Sure it could be a reference, or it could be coincidence.
    Pretty sure we can 100% say it's not connected to the show. It would be a book reference, if it were one. Which is unlikely.

There are a few Song of Ice and Fire references in the game, I'm just pretty sure that isn't one of them. I like Blizzard's random references, Kazra'jin is basically Blanka for example. (Color, hair, roll, Blanka's ultra 2 from SSF4)

Somewhat off topic: Am I the only one that feels that Game of Thrones is better as a TV show than it's source material? As a series of fantasy novels it feels pretty generic to me, nothing really sets it apart from other fantasy series, but as a TV show it's pretty unique and interesting.

Deleted
    No I don't think it was.
    The term kingslayer existed before GoT.

Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    Somewhat off topic: Am I the only one that feels that Game of Thrones is better as a TV show than it's source material? As a series of fantasy novels it feels pretty generic to me, nothing really sets it apart from other fantasy series, but as a TV show it's pretty unique and interesting.
    I agree. I also like the way certain events play out in the TV series more than the books (like the storyline with Xaro Xhoan Daxos, for example).

Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    The TV show does a better job of developing some of the major characters, but a lot of smaller details or details that will become important later are completely skipped or cut out.

No Tower of Joy. No Tourney at Harrenhall. Pretty much all the prophecies are cut out. A lot of cool minor characters that gives the world a great sense of being an actual world are simplified for TV. Where's Dacey Mormont? Doesn't Rob's army contain more forces than just Karstarks and Boltons?

I enjoy both the books and the TV show, but the world of the books is much richer and more interesting than the TV world.

Quote Originally Posted by SamR View Post
    The TV show does a better job of developing some of the major characters, but a lot of smaller details or details that will become important later are completely skipped or cut out.

No Tower of Joy. No Tourney at Harrenhall. Pretty much all the prophecies are cut out. A lot of cool minor characters that gives the world a great sense of being an actual world are simplified for TV. Where's Dacey Mormont? Doesn't Rob's army contain more forces than just Karstarks and Boltons?

I enjoy both the books and the TV show, but the world of the books is much richer and more interesting than the TV world.
    I actually feel the opposite. There are so many different characters with new ones being introduced almost every episode. Too many in my opinion. If the show was 24 episodes a season, then I wouldn't mind but it is a bit frustrating we don't see certain key characters sometimes an entire episode (or two).
    Spike Flail - US Mal'Ganis | Currently 11/11 M | Art by ElyPop