Page 1 of 12
... LastLast
    Deleted

Was "Kingslayer" title an easter egg of GoT?

I wonder. The Tv series was published a bit later but the book was already popular by the time we get to kill Arthas and gain the title. Was an easter egg? Or the developers just thougth it would be a cool title after killing the Lich King?

Till now I never thought it could be an easter egg but now I see there are quite a few similaritis between that part of Wow and that part of Game of Thrones.

Lich KING. KINGslayer. The title just plain makes sense...

10+ Year Old Account
    Hardly.
    The first book of the GoT series was written back in 2000 which had the history already in place.

Monsem - Shadow Priest / Halimath - Prot Paladin / Groundchuk - Elemental Shaman
    [/SIZE]

10+ Year Old Account
    No, its simply states a fact. You are the slayer of a king, the lich king. Hence, kingslayer.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're right, a minor character (and in the books that were released by the time when the Lich King was killed, Jaime Lannister was a minor character) in a book series - that, at the time, was not even very popular - was the inspiration for the title, and had nothing to do with the fact that it is a common title in fantasy given to, oddly enough, those who slay kings.

I don't imagine so, but you're free to make your own assumptions.
    Infectionate Pawsthorne Bubblesbee
    [A] [H]
    Nasturtium Fisticuffs Blesshu Sinnocence Ellipsis Hiddenfee Teddiursa

All my facepalms. Next you'll be saying the "Dragonslayer" title (awarded after slaying a dragon [gasp]) is some obscure easter egg reference to some story about dragonslaying from 15 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Polio View Post
    No, its simply states a fact. You are the slayer of a king, the lich king. Hence, kingslayer.
    I killed King Magni and King Varian, never got the title.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanish4ever View Post

I wonder. The Tv series was published a bit later but the book was already popular by the time we get to kill Arthas and gain the title. Was an easter egg? Or the developers just thougth it would be a cool title after killing the Lich King?

Till now I never thought it could be an easter egg but now I see there are quite a few similaritis between that part of Wow and that part of Game of Thrones.
    Could be. They have a lot of Game of Thrones references in WoW which suddenly make sense to me now that I am watching the series (the whole watcher on the wall thing in Panderia for example) which indicates that the game designers are aware of GoT.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, not at all.

I'm glad it's in game though as my character Jaime, the Kingslayer loves the title.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm 100% certain it has nothing to do with it, but I did chuckle when I read the books and saw the title

Wouldn't be the first time Warcraft referenced A Song of Ice and Fire.
    The title of the last Frozen Throne mission springs to mind (A Symphony of Frost and Flame).

No because Game of Thrones is a terrible show and Wrath of the Lich King was the golden age of WoW

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Akshak View Post
    Hardly.
    The first book of the GoT series was written back in 2000 which had the history already in place.
    The title you get from killing the lich king in icecrown was hardly in place in year 2000, even if the character and the name lich king was.

Yes, you cracked the case.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Birkhoff View Post
    No because Game of Thrones is a terrible show and Wrath of the Lich King was the golden age of WoW
    Terrible show? Have you read the Game of Thrones books, which came out long before WoW even existed?

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I'm 100% certain it has nothing to do with it, but I did chuckle when I read the books and saw the title
    The fact that the title is absolutely appropriate for the achievement does not preclude the possibility that they thought of it having read it in the book. That being said I don't think they created it as an easter egg either - in the sense that many easter eggs are done just for fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Birkhoff View Post
    So much wrong here, WotLK is the 2nd worst part of wow, only beaten by Cataclysm.

Game of Thrones is a great show.

Nope. No relation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems like a pretty intentional homage to me, to the books at least. WoW has quite a lot of ASoIaF references, including other titles (Storm's End).