Trash respawning when changing raid difficulty

Does anyone know the EXACT rules of when trash will respawn when you change the difficulty setting from normal to HC, or from HC to normal? As sometimes the instance changes but raid remains where it was - others raid is TP to start of the instance with the trash having respawned.

Some times we forget to change the setting after killing a boss - do the trash to next boss, go oops (some times with one pull, sometimes w/o any pull) , change difficulty --> some times the trash respawns, others it doesn't.

Trying to get the rules for this so that we can plan better HC attempts in advance.
    - Does it matter if you 'try' the boss HC/Normal ?
    - time elapsed since trash killed ?
    - how many times you have changed difficulty settings recently ?
    - are the rules the same from going from normal to HC, as from HC to normal ?
    - does it mater which trash ?
    - how much of the trash is killed (as in, all the trash b4 the boss, or just some)?

this isn't just for oops, but also for deciding if we want to do some attempts on a boss HC. (having to reclear some of the ToT trash can take 10-15 minutes and not worth if all we want was to see HC mechanics.)

Deleted
    Changing raid leaders usually causes it from what I've found and can sometimes completely stop a boss from spawning when changing difficulties.

Personally not sure myself, but just wanted to say: In before people linking a trash reset to one anecdotal cause with no further testing and claiming it as fact as to why it happens!

We've gotten pretty good at switching difficulty prior to doing the next bosses trash - best practice to get yourself into, IMO.

This shit is annoying as hell. I have had some experiences with it and will share what I have seen.

Formed raid on Thursday same raid leader and raid group from the previous night
    -Cleared trash to Ji'Kun on normal (skipping what we could)
    -Switch to heroic
    -Put back at the beginning with fresh trash

Following Week
    Formed raid on Thursday same raid leader and raid group from the previous night
    -Cleared trash (skipping what we could) to Ji'Kun on Heroic (I learned my lesson)
    -Kill Ji'Kun
    -Clear Trash to Durumu
    -Few attempts on Heroic
    -Switched to normal
    -Trash respawns have to reclear

Next day
    -Formed raid same everything
    -Heroic Iron Qon attempts for a couple hours
    -Switched to normal
    -Nothing respawned

Had the same thing happen on Horridon
    and the trash didn't respawn one time (we actually did attempts on heroic) and the other time it did (no heroic attempts - boy was the raid pissed).

I know that messing with raid leaders can cause this and learned that lesson a long time ago.

But this really is annoying as shit especially if trying a heroic boss all night and then deciding to kill it on normal at the end and having to eat more trash again.

My guess is its something in the heroic encounter lockout which is pretty fubar as well.

When we were progressing on Heroic Jikun i had a raider from another raid team sub in for the attempts. He had 3 bosses down on normal difficulty. We did attempts on heroic Jikun but did not kill the boss.

The next night his original raid team went in and he was unable to do Tortos or Maghera even though we did not kill heroic Jikun the previous night. Once that raid team got to Jikun he was able to join them and kill it on normal.

Im not sure the reasoning behind this raid lock behavior as it seems pretty silly to lock a player for simply attempting a boss.

---------- Post added 2013-05-22 at 11:20 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Spiralphoenix View Post
    We've gotten pretty good at switching difficulty prior to doing the next bosses trash - best practice to get yourself into, IMO.
    This is so true and it is what I have begun to do , but what about if you are going to put in some attempts on heroic before cleaning it up on normal?
    The trash has reset on us in this case, see my examples above.

We will never know for sure because frankly its more of a pain in the ass to test this with a raid then its worth.
    Last edited by jearle; 2013-05-22 at 03:23 PM.

There are no exact rules, is the problem. Each set of trash seems to have a different rule for determining when it's considered cleared. Pulling the boss will almost always satisfy this requirement, but not guaranteed.

We cleared Ji-kun trash something like 4 times last week just to pull it once on heroic to see it, completely ludicrous.

Usually trash wont respawn if you are in a position to pull the boss (for Ji-kun destroy the eggs and wait for her to land)

To be 100% sure you could just pull the boss once (and vanish/FD/Banner)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Killuha View Post
    Usually trash wont respawn if you are in a position to pull the boss (for Ji-kun destroy the eggs and wait for her to land)

To be 100% sure you could just pull the boss once (and vanish/FD/Banner)
    So you are saying that after we wipe all night on durumu and switch to normal trash shouldn't be up? Well, we even had quest there and all quest monster respawned.

I think some specific trash doesnt respawn w/e u do and some does. Would be nice if some1 finds it out tho, before ppl start mass clearing :P

There may be exceptions, but the only time we tend to see respawns is when we change it from heroic to regular.