Thread: "Jif" not "Gif"

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ...
3
11
12
13
14
15
... LastLast
  1. #241
    So how do you differentiate lead and lead? Do you spell one wrong just to keep things somewhat intelligent? Or if we're sticking just to pronunciation, do you say to/too/two differently?
    Nope, it's all about context and usage. In this case, both .gif and .jif are file types. If you pronounced them both 'jif' when talking to someone, the context really muddles the ability to differentiate between the file types.

    The only clear course of action is to pronounce them correctly according to how they are spelled.

    It's not rocket science.

  2. #242
    Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    Until it's .jif, im afraid it's gif.
    Exactly.

    Most folks mispronounce cache when using it as a computer term as well, so...

  3. #243
    Sorry, but Jif is peanut butter.
    Trump 2020.

  4. #244
    The Lightbringer Payday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    [Red State], USA
    Posts
    3,318
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    Nope, it's all about context and usage. In this case, both .gif and .jif are file types. If you pronounced them both 'jif' when talking to someone, the context really muddles the ability to differentiate between the file types.

    The only clear course of action is to pronounce them correctly according to how they are spelled.

    It's not rocket science.
    Type "jif file format" into google and let me know what you get.

  5. #245

  6. #246
    Epic! Tribunal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    notonthisplanetanymore.jpg
    Posts
    1,599
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    They are both image formats, so your argument about context is a fail.

    "Hey Rick, did you send me over that jif yet?"

    "Wait, I thought you wanted it in a gif format?"

    "Yeah I do, a jif."

    "You mean you want a graphics interchange format, or a jpeg?"

    "A graphics interchange format."

    See how it's just easier to call it a gif?
    If we're eliminating all confusion in language, we should all say and write "you are" so more people realize and use the correct form of the word.

    .jif is a relatively obscure format (it's not just a JPEG) that no one in the thread seemed to be aware of (hence it not being any part of your arguments) until one guy brought it up.

    I'd go so far as to say 99% of the time, if you hear "Jif" they mean .gif, and most things involving gifs are done in writing anyways.

    Besides, typing "u" instead of 'you' is technically easier and no-less clear, but that doesn't make it right.

  7. #247
    the creator of the gif created a product, but not the culture. i'll call it whatever i want

  8. #248
    Epic! Tribunal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    notonthisplanetanymore.jpg
    Posts
    1,599
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    Nope, it's all about context and usage. In this case, both .gif and .jif are file types. If you pronounced them both 'jif' when talking to someone, the context really muddles the ability to differentiate between the file types.

    The only clear course of action is to pronounce them correctly according to how they are spelled.

    It's not rocket science.
    The correct pronunciation is the one provided by the inventor of the format and thus the "word". If I create a new micro-blogging site, and tell you it's called Tumblir but pronounced Tumbler, I am not wrong. You can argue that I am confusing, contrived (which .jif is in this argument, being the newer format, for the record), etc, but I am not wrong. That is just not how names work.

    Besides, arguing "oh but they have the same context" is like saying you can't say "I'm going to Paris this summer" because you might mean Paris, TX or Paris, MI. Outside of very very specific circles, the context is clear as day.

  9. #249
    The Insane Masark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    17,284
    Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    It's Jill not Gil.
    Grissom disagrees.

    Quote Originally Posted by Payday View Post
    Try and tell me how you pronounce PNG in the form of a word, as .gif is..
    Imagine in an "I" sound and say it "ping".

    Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

  10. #250
    ive always said jif...


    Also imgur is im-guhr - not imager

  11. #251
    The correct pronunciation is the one provided by the inventor of the format and thus the "word". If I create a new micro-blogging site, and tell you it's called Tumblir but pronounced Tumbler, I am not wrong. You can argue that I am confusing, contrived (which .jif is in this argument, being the newer format, for the record), etc, but I am not wrong. That is just not how names work.

    Besides, arguing "oh but they have the same context" is like saying you can't say "I'm going to Paris this summer" because you might mean Paris, TX or Paris, MI. Outside of very very specific circles, the context is clear as day.
    Actually, the correct pronunciation of a word entirely depends on it's every day common usage by people, not the guy who invented it. How do you think we get slang?

    I've never heard it called a 'jif' before until a few days ago, and I have to admit it's pretty retarded.

  12. #252
    Epic! Tribunal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    notonthisplanetanymore.jpg
    Posts
    1,599
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    Actually, the correct pronunciation of a word entirely depends on it's every day common usage by people, not the guy who invented it. How do you think we get slang?

    I've never heard it called a 'jif' before until a few days ago, and I have to admit it's pretty retarded.
    So because someone goes their entire life mispronouncing "cache" or any other commonly mispronounced word, based on how it is spelled, it is suddenly "slang" and they are right to say it the way they do?

    Slang isn't a new pronunciation most of the time. It's not even usually a misuse of a word (although 'irregardless' and 'could care less' are doing their part in trying to change that). It's a new use for an old word or a new word or phrase altogether (a colloquialism).

    The mispronunciation of "gif" you people seem to want to defend to the death is neither of those.

    The case also stands that it is more of a name than a general noun. And the namer is the end-all, be-all of the name.

    Edit: Also, lovely that you've resorted to just calling people retarded. I'm pretty sure that's the white flag of "I know I am wrong and will just never admit it".
    Last edited by Tribunal; 2013-05-23 at 11:21 PM.

  13. #253
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribunal View Post
    So because someone goes their entire life mispronouncing "cache" or any other commonly mispronounced word, based on how it is spelled, it is suddenly "slang" and they are right to say it the way they do?
    If it catches on, yes.

    But a single person using it is generally a mispronunciation. In the case of the .gif, it'd be a the new word, regardless of the original intent of pronunciation.

    /linguistic geek

  14. #254
    Epic! Tribunal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    notonthisplanetanymore.jpg
    Posts
    1,599
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    If it catches on, yes.

    But a single person using it is generally a mispronunciation. In the case of the .gif, it'd be a the new word, regardless of the original intent of pronunciation.

    /linguistic geek
    Well aware of linguistics, but the poster above is breaking it down to "I never saw it the other way thus my way is right" which is not slang in the slightest.

    I'd argue that a mispronunciation does not become slang, so much as it becomes common enough to be noted, like gif.

  15. #255
    It is at least gratifying to know that I was pronouncing it correctly all these years.

  16. #256
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribunal View Post
    So because someone goes their entire life mispronouncing "cache" or any other commonly mispronounced word, based on how it is spelled, it is suddenly "slang" and they are right to say it the way they do?
    It's not just "someone" it's "a lot of people." If a pronunciation is common enough for us to even be having this debate, then the creator can get stuffed, or get over it.

  17. #257
    Epic! Tribunal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    notonthisplanetanymore.jpg
    Posts
    1,599
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    It's not just "someone" it's "a lot of people." If a pronunciation is common enough for us to even be having this debate, then the creator can get stuffed, or get over it.
    "Your wrong" grows more and more common. We don't just throw correctness out the window because less and less people care.

    He named it .gif, said "JIF", likely on purpose (the team back then made all the "Choosy Moms" puns people seem to think are so new in this thread). That's really the end of the story.

    We can note the common but incorrect pronunciation, and normalize it to a degree, but it doesn't make it the correct one.

  18. #258
    Bloodsail Admiral Franzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,145
    It's like Dr Seuss, it's actually pronounced 'Soice' but misinformation made everyone pronounce it how it looks, and is still acceptable.
    GIF/JIF who cares anymore.

  19. #259
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribunal View Post
    "Your wrong"
    My wrong what?

  20. #260
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    It's not just "someone" it's "a lot of people." If a pronunciation is common enough for us to even be having this debate, then the creator can get stuffed, or get over it.
    Do you tell people with strangely spelled names that they're pronouncing their names wrong too? I know a guy named "Joonchaiya", pronounced "Ooh-Chai-yuh"; would you tell him he's pronouncing his name wrong because he's not pronouncing the "J"?

    ---------- Post added 2013-05-24 at 12:51 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    My wrong what?
    That's his point; many people write "Your wrong" when they mean "You're wrong" or "You are wrong"; they don't suddenly get to be right just because there are a lot of them making the mistake.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •