Thread: "Jif" not "Gif"

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ...
4
12
13
14
15
16
... LastLast
  1. #261
    Todays first world problems eh

  2. #262
    Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post
    Do you tell people with strangely spelled names that they're pronouncing their names wrong too? I know a guy named "Joonchaiya", pronounced "Ooh-Chai-yuh"; would you tell him he's pronouncing his name wrong because he's not pronouncing the "J"?[COLOR="red"]
    It's his name, not a widely used term that happens to have two accepted pronunciations.

  3. #263
    Quote Originally Posted by Thyr View Post
    GIF stands for graphics interchange format. And graphic is called graphic, not jraphic!

    So jif is wrong on so many levels...
    Agreed.Jiff is a brand of Peanut Butter that choosy moms choose.
    Photoshop says GIF too.
    "Chaos boils in my veins."

  4. #264
    I believe the original creator of the format called it .jif so i honor him. .jif it is.

  5. #265
    Epic! Tribunal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    notonthisplanetanymore.jpg
    Posts
    1,599
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    My wrong what?
    The point --------------------------------------------------- You

    People use the wrong form of "you" more and more commonly. Doesn't make it acceptable OR slang.

    ---------- Post added 2013-05-23 at 08:10 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Maleagant View Post
    Agreed.Jiff is a brand of Peanut Butter that choosy moms choose.
    Photoshop says GIF too.
    No one is debating the spelling of the format. That's kind of set in stone by... the format.

    Unless Photoshop pronounces it for you, that picture has 0 relevance.

  6. #266
    The 'G' stands for 'Graphic'.

    It's 'Gif'.

    There is nothing that can sway me in this matter.
    By Blood and Honor We Serve!

  7. #267
    As a graphic designer I pronounced it as "jif" for years. Then the first time I tried to pronounce it correctly as "gif" someone was like... "what?". Jif it is

  8. #268
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribunal View Post
    Doesn't make it acceptable OR slang.
    I'd say when a pronunciation makes the Oxford Dictionary, it's a good time to consider it acceptable or slang.

  9. #269
    Epic! Tribunal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    notonthisplanetanymore.jpg
    Posts
    1,599
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    I'd say when a pronunciation makes the Oxford Dictionary, it's a good time to consider it acceptable or slang.
    Irregardless is in several dictionaries. Sometimes commonality does win out, although it is usually mentioned as an aside "Also: ____" or "Commonly mis-stated as _____".

    Would you want "your: short form of 'you are'" in the dictionary just because it is common? I would be ok with it being mentioned as a common mistake, but not as a legitimate definition.

  10. #270
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribunal View Post
    Would you want "your: short form of 'you are'" in the dictionary just because it is common? I would be ok with it being mentioned as a common mistake, but not as a legitimate definition.
    You're comparing pronunciation with improper grammar. I believe the expression is "apples and oranges."

    Your instead of you're is only common in places (the internet/texting) where people can't be assed to use proper grammar. Conveniently enough, people will also use "ur" to express the same things in those applications. The only time you'll see it in anything published is when the editor misses the mistake. Besides, to bring it back to pronunciation: "You're right" is indistinguishable from "your right hand."
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2013-05-24 at 02:18 AM.

  11. #271
    Epic! Tribunal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    notonthisplanetanymore.jpg
    Posts
    1,599
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    You're comparing pronunciation with improper grammar. I believe the expression is "apples and oranges."
    So dictionaries can only be bastions of certain fields of correctness? We only care about pronunciation, and not grammar here?
    They're different, yes, but they're still comparable. A comparison actually necessitates difference.

    We're going to argue this in circles forever, so instead I'd rather ask this: Tell me why, when given the correct pronunciation by the person without whom it wouldn't even be a discussion, you choose to disregard it?

    Just because it doesn't "sound good"? I dislike many of the pronunciations people come up with for traditionally Celtic or Germanic names, but that doesn't make me disregard them. Proving your version is "possible"? Showing how you came to your view is great and all, but it doesn't make it the correct view. Is it really just that big a reluctance to admit it? I mean, I get that you're used to saying it the way you say it, and I even get continuing to say it that way. But neither of those are mutually exclusive with going "Huh I say it wrong" or something of the like.

    I just really don't get how it even continues to be an argument.

  12. #272
    Warchief Szemere's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Gnomeregan
    Posts
    2,193
    I don't really care how it's "supposed to be said ^^ I'll just say it the way you'd pronounce it according to normal pronunciation rules of english, and it probably won't be wrong. + I don't really care if someone decides to pronounce it differently, it happens all the time with accents and stuff, it's not like people think you're talking about peanutbutter when you pronounce it with a J anyways, so either way works ^^
    Ex-GM and Raidleader of the MoX Purple Kittens Raidteam on Twisting Nether (formerly Grim Batol), RIP, Winter 2010 - Spring 2013.
    Armory. WoWProgress. Might start streaming Soon(tm) http://twitch.tv/szem/

  13. #273
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribunal View Post
    So dictionaries can only be bastions of certain fields of correctness? We only care about pronunciation, and not grammar here?
    They're different, yes, but they're still comparable. A comparison actually necessitates difference.

    We're going to argue this in circles forever, so instead I'd rather ask this: Tell me why, when given the correct pronunciation by the person without whom it wouldn't even be a discussion, you choose to disregard it?

    I just really don't get how it even continues to be an argument.
    Being the creator is irrelevant when you argument makes no sense and is done far after the fact.

    If tomorrow Mark Zuckerberg sent a tweet saying that "Facebook" was actually pronounced "Fah-ki-Bohk", does that objectively change the pronunciation? No. It's one thing to define the pronunciation of a completely original word (e.g. Herginphelgasczhmatz) It's something else entirely to claim an objective pronunciation for an Acronym, when the pronunciation you're trying to sell involves a letter (J) that literally has absolute nothing to do with the acronym or meaning behind it.

  14. #274
    Epic! Tribunal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    notonthisplanetanymore.jpg
    Posts
    1,599
    Quote Originally Posted by Soratrox View Post
    Being the creator is irrelevant when you argument makes no sense and is done far after the fact.

    If tomorrow Mark Zuckerberg sent a tweet saying that "Facebook" was actually pronounced "Fah-ki-Bohk", does that objectively change the pronunciation? No. It's one thing to define the pronunciation of a completely original word (e.g. Herginphelgasczhmatz) It's something else entirely to claim an objective pronunciation for an Acronym, when the pronunciation you're trying to sell involves a letter (J) that literally has absolute nothing to do with the acronym or meaning behind it.
    The creator has pronounced it "jif" since the inception, as did the team working on it. This is not a "new story" or done after the fact.

    The correct pronunciation has been posted on the internet for literally a decade, and really, longer.

    So no, Mark Zuckerbeg probably could not send out a tweet tomorrow and correct the pronunciation of Facebook. But he could create "Facebook Mini" and say it's pronounced "Facebook Min". Say that's stupid if you want, but it's his creation and well within his right to name it as he wishes.

    If I name my kid A.J. (an acronym) do I not get to say how it's pronounced? JUST because it's an Acronym? What about real-word names? No say there either, huh?

  15. #275
    So dictionaries can only be bastions of certain fields of correctness?
    Dictionaries are not authorities on words. Dictionaries describe the common usage of words. When you look in a dictionary and you see a slew of definitions for any given word, it's because those definitions are what became popular. Some of them might be slang. Some of them might have fallen out of common usage.

    So when a great number of people in one region refer to them as 'gifs,' then the dictionary follows suit and describes the usage that way.

    That said:

    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gif

  16. #276
    Titan draykorinee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Ciderland, arrgh.
    Posts
    13,219
    No its G if not Jif I dont really dont want to call it jif, its a cleaning product in the uk (or it was pre 2010 when it became cif)

  17. #277
    Epic! Tribunal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    notonthisplanetanymore.jpg
    Posts
    1,599
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    Dictionaries are not authorities on words. Dictionaries describe the common usage of words. When you look in a dictionary and you see a slew of definitions for any given word, it's because those definitions are what became popular. Some of them might be slang. Some of them might have fallen out of common usage.

    So when a great number of people in one region refer to them as 'gifs,' then the dictionary follows suit and describes the usage that way.

    That said:

    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gif
    It lists both pronunciations.

    I'd still love an answer to why you insist on supporting the wrong version unwaveringly rather than just accepting you say it differently than it was designed to be said and moving on.

  18. #278
    Elemental Lord Sierra85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    getting a coffee
    Posts
    8,490
    it's Gif not Jif. Who cares what the creator says. if the creator of spaghetti told you it was actually spaghatti would you call it spaghetti or spaghatti.

    i rest my case.
    Hi

  19. #279
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribunal View Post
    I'd still love an answer to why you insist on supporting the wrong version unwaveringly rather than just accepting you say it differently than it was designed to be said and moving on.
    People don't realize that you can do that AND still pronounce it gif. Both pronunciations are logical if you take a look at the English language (G as in gift, or G before an I or an E), but it should also be pretty obvious by now what the intended pronunciation is. The problem with languages is that grammar, spelling and pronunciation evolve on their own, and while it's good to have a few guidelines when in doubt, usually all you can do is observe and try to follow the trend to make sure that people understand you. Besides, even if we, here on MMO-C, agreed that it should be pronounced jif, you would still have to convince the rest of the world's population.

    I'm still waiting for the day when I have to pronounce .gif in an English sentence, that's why I was surprised when I read the article. I'd never even thought about it.

  20. #280
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribunal View Post
    If we're eliminating all confusion in language, we should all say and write "you are" so more people realize and use the correct form of the word.

    .jif is a relatively obscure format (it's not just a JPEG) that no one in the thread seemed to be aware of (hence it not being any part of your arguments) until one guy brought it up.

    I'd go so far as to say 99% of the time, if you hear "Jif" they mean .gif, and most things involving gifs are done in writing anyways.

    Besides, typing "u" instead of 'you' is technically easier and no-less clear, but that doesn't make it right.
    Hey, more made up statistics used in an attempt to prove an opinion on the internet.

    It doesn't matter whether or not one is used more. There are two formats, why call them both the same thing when they refer to different formats? The only reason why is because people are trenchant in not wanting to call it a gif. Seems arbitrary.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •