Thread: "Jif" not "Gif"

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ...
3
4
5
6
7
15
... LastLast
  1. #81
    Quote Originally Posted by Zindai View Post
    But honestly, does it matter?
    Yes, yes it does.
    I work in IT for a few years now, and have never met a person who would say ".jif" instead of ".gif"
    Rincewind: Ah! We may, in fact, have reached the root of the problem. However it's a silly problem and so I am suddenly going to stop talking to you.
    The better character questionnaire (D&D)

  2. #82
    Epic! Tribunal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    notonthisplanetanymore.jpg
    Posts
    1,599
    I can't even say it the hard G way. Sounds terribly awkward coming out of my mouth.

    And since the damn INVENTOR says I don't have to, that's A-OK with me. P.S. He's always said it was Jif, that news has been on Anglefire pages since the .gif came into being, the BBC has just decided to make it a big thing right now.


    I had also never met so many people who use the "Gift -t" pronunciation until these threads.
    The hard-G pronunciation of the letter G usually comes when a, o, or u follows it (think gas, good, or guy). We pronounce G's as the soft-G when i, e, or y follow it (think giraffe, German, or analogy). There are exceptions of course, but in general practice, Wilhite has his point. GIF is followed by an I.

  3. #83
    The Insane Masark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    16,785
    Next debate : Gigawatt or Jigawatt?

    Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

  4. #84
    Pandaren Monk Klutzington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    'Murrica, of course.
    Posts
    1,921
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    It's England... we'll just chalk that up there with Schedule (shed-yule vs Sked-ule), "Zed" for Z and such...
    Actually Americans pronounce schedule oddly... sked-jewl.

    ---------- Post added 2013-05-22 at 02:14 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Next debate : Gigawatt or Jigawatt?
    GIG-UH-Watt. Gas. Guy. Good. GIG-uh-byte. No one says Jigabyte. Go say jigabyte in public and get laughed at.

  5. #85
    Merely a Setback Adam Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sarif Industries, Detroit
    Posts
    27,001
    Quote Originally Posted by Meatboll View Post
    I'll start saying jif when people start saying jigabyte or jigawatt.
    Why do people think this is an argument? G is pronounced two ways: G or J. The rules of the English language are so ambiguous that there's no reasonable way to discern how to pronounce it, other than simply knowing how to pronounce it.

  6. #86
    Deleted
    I like gif more.

  7. #87
    Deleted
    In fact it's like,

    Language (n.)
    late 13c., langage "words, what is said, conversation, talk," from Old French langage (12c.) The form with -u- developed in Anglo-French. Meaning "a language" is from c.1300, also used in Middle English of dialects:

    I still don't understand how english, a peasant form, a poor educated form of the french langage, can be the " universal " now....

    Gif must be prononced like Jif, that's all.

    I write prononce like this because it can't understand why this word was changed. Oh wait.... english accent was so bad they had to change the letters because they couldn't fix their tongue position...


    The hard-G pronunciation of the letter G usually comes when a, o, or u follows it (think gas, good, or guy). We pronounce G's as the soft-G when i, e, or y follow it.

  8. #88
    Since .gif means graphics interchange format, until people start saying "jraphics" (pronounced gir-aphics like giraffe,) I'm calling it a gif.

  9. #89
    I'm just going to yiff yiff yiff yiff

  10. #90
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Why do people think this is an argument? G is pronounced two ways: G or J. The rules of the English language are so ambiguous that there's no reasonable way to discern how to pronounce it, other than simply knowing how to pronounce it.
    True, but there is logic behind the line of thinking that it should be a hard G.

    Thought exercise, how many 'soft', or 'juh' sounding Gs can you think of that are in *English* words with a consonant right after the G?

    Words with a vowel phonetic can go either way: gimp, goo, gay, gang, gut, girth, garter are all hard Gs. Gel, giraffe, gymnastic, giant are all soft Gs or 'juh's. All of them have oh, ee, ih, uh, ay, ah noises right after the G.

    However.. Grill, grump, glamour, grate, great, glee, glimmer, glass, glaze, glacial, glad, grant, ghastly, ghoul, gherkin etc etc, all words with a CONSONANT right after the G have hard Gs or 'guh's.

    The logic goes that because it's graphic i f, you would adopt the hard g ergo "gif" based off of the conventions of the English language.

    There is no *logical* reason for choosing jif. The only reason you would say it that way is a) you already knew it was said that way from the start. b) you are not a native English speaker and thus are following different phonetic conventions (much the same way that some of my Scandinavian friends say my name 'James' as 'Yay-mes') or c) you literally just guessed. It's 50/50.
    Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2013-05-22 at 06:35 PM.

  11. #91
    Epic! Tribunal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    notonthisplanetanymore.jpg
    Posts
    1,599
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    Since .gif means graphics interchange format, until people start saying "jraphics" (pronounced gir-aphics like giraffe,) I'm calling it a gif.
    Do you say BB-Kuh? British Broadcasting Kompany?

    **Korperation, which is my bad, but the point still stands.

  12. #92
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribunal View Post
    Do you say BB-Kuh? British Broadcasting Kompany?

    **Korperation, which is my bad, but the point still stands.
    Not even the same thing. You'd have a point if we called a gif a JAY I EFF or a GEE I EFF. We don't though. It's BEE BEE CEE because that is the phonetic of the capitalisation of those letters... gif is a lower case acronym (we say it as a 'word') whereas BBC is an abbreviation (we say each letter individually, it's not a 'word')

    To help illustrate the point further:

    IKEA is an acronym; it's a 'word'. It's not EYE KAY EE AY

    TV is an abbreviation, said TEE VEE. It's not a Tuhv.
    Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2013-05-22 at 07:01 PM.

  13. #93
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribunal View Post
    Do you say BB-Kuh? British Broadcasting Kompany?

    **Korperation, which is my bad, but the point still stands.
    Gif is an acronym, BBK (or BBC) is an initialism.

    http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com...m-grammar.aspx

    Maybe it's not correctly grammatically, but since it's a shortened version of graphic interchange format, I'm going to continue applying the pronunciation of the acronym as gif. It's not gi-raphic, it's gr-aphic.

  14. #94
    Epic! Tribunal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    notonthisplanetanymore.jpg
    Posts
    1,599
    Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    Not even the same thing. You'd have a point if we called a gif a JAY I EFF or a GEE I EFF. We don't though. It's BEE BEE CEE because that is the phonetic of the capitalisation of those letters... gif is a lower case acronym (we say it as a 'word') whereas BBC is an abbreviation (we say each letter individually, it's not a 'word')
    They're both acronyms, as the part of speech is defined, and the differentiation in pronunciation and terminology is all nomenclature. But even if you want to separate them, we have AIDS, Amphetamine, Necco, IRA (some use the "word" pronunciation), CD-ROM, etc. And those are just taken from Wikipedia's list of examples of acronyms. I'm sure there are others. The point is, sometimes the acronym is different from the words that make it up.

    Either way though, if Jameson tells you his name is pronounced "Hyameson", what kind of asshole goes "NUN-UH YOU'RE WRONG"! The creator's opinion should be the end of the argument, especially as both are phonetically valid (as much of anything can be in English, but that's an argument against the language, not .gif).

  15. #95
    I'll say it jif as soon as graphics is jraphics.

    Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

  16. #96
    Epic! Tribunal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    notonthisplanetanymore.jpg
    Posts
    1,599
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I'll say it jif as soon as graphics is jraphics.
    So why not "Guh-IF" instead of "Gi-IF" (Gift minus the T) as I see most proposing the alternative to "JIF"? It's closer to Guh-raphics.

  17. #97
    meh, I'll still call it Gif and not pay any attention to anyone butthurt by it

  18. #98
    All this debate would be pointless if Wilhite had simply used ".grif" instead of ".gif" Go ahead, pronounce GRIF like JRIF and be laughed off the playground.

    On a side topic, how is .png pronounced? I assume "ping" but if is "pinj"?

  19. #99
    Deleted
    BBC is not an acronym... It's not a word you can say, you're saying each letter on its own. IRA is not an acronym.

    Here's the definition: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/acronym

    A word formed from the initial letters of a name, such as WAC for Women's Army Corps, or by combining initial letters or parts of a series of words, such as radar for radio detecting and ranging.

    Here's a clip where someone pronounces WAC before you try to argue it's said DOUBLE-U AY CEE:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...gk47gQi8#t=41s

    It sounds like "whack"

    BBC is not a word. IRA is not a word. IKEA *is* a word, and thus is an acronym.

    See the difference? The list on wikipedia (and many other sites, not to rag on wiki) is wrong because they lump acronyms and abbreviations in as one.
    Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2013-05-22 at 07:11 PM.

  20. #100
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribunal View Post
    So why not "Guh-IF" instead of "Gi-IF" (Gift minus the T) as I see most proposing the alternative to "JIF"? It's closer to Guh-raphics.
    I don't say Guh-raphics either. :P

    Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •