Thread: "Jif" not "Gif"

Page 1 of 17
... LastLast

Deleted
    Until it's .jif, im afraid it's gif.

Sucks to be betrayed by 99% of the people who say gif

It's England... we'll just chalk that up there with Schedule (shed-yule vs Sked-ule), "Zed" for Z and such...

Meh - as with most things, people will pronounce it however they want to - to think they're saying it 'wrong' though... that's the height of hubris.

Deleted
    I don't care, I will always pronounce it Gif.

Deleted
    I always thought it was pronounced "jif".

Always thought it was pronounced jif! Never heard a soul say gif, though I suppose I do live in England, though I suppose we have always been known for proper pronunciation of English words...
    Last edited by Ryme; 2013-05-22 at 03:06 PM.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    Always thought it was pronounced jif! Never heard a soul say gif, though I suppose I do live in England.

Burn...

Honestly I believe they both are correct. Language is ultimately determined by consensus, and if there is no consensus on a topic (such as how to pronounce this particular image format), then there is no absolutely correct answer.
    Roleplaying, hardcore Raiding, running LFR on the occasional weekend, PvPing, rolling alts, achievement hunting, pet battling, or just enacting an endless series of whims, I don't care how you play WoW. Just as long as you have fun doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodoxus View Post
    Meh - as with most things, people will pronounce it however they want to - to think they're saying it 'wrong' though... that's the height of hubris.
    Some Greek poet is spinning in his grave about how some pronounce Uranus
    Also Gif > Jif!

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm with the oxford dictionary on this - I've always pronounced it Gif, so Gif it shall remain!

10+ Year Old Account
    Both are correct, it's just if you want to say it like it was orignally (Jif), or the "new" way (Gif).

I change the way I pronounce it depending on which annoys the company the most.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    I don't care, I will always pronounce it Gif.

10+ Year Old Account
    GIF stands for graphics interchange format. And graphic is called graphic, not jraphic!

So jif is wrong on so many levels...

.jif because of that Jraphics Interchange Format, duh.

Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post

Burn...
    I am the lucid dream

Jiff is a peanut butter.

.gif, which starts with a G as in GUM is GIF. gif = Graphics Interchange Format

So, that article is stupid... rather, the inventor of the file format is stupid for thinking it should be pronounced with a J sound.
    If there is some obscure English language rule at play here that says we should pronounce the word, which is an acronym with a G sounding word at the start, with a J sound, then the rule needs to be updated for a time when people aren't morons that think putting leeches on people will cure them of any disease.

Quote Originally Posted by Thyr View Post
    So jif is wrong on so many levels...
    The guy who created the file type is saying its pronounced like Jif, so it isn't really wrong, it's just silly.

10+ Year Old Account
    The 'inventor' is wrong. Graphics interface format, G-I-F. If he wanted it pronounced jif then he should have spelled it properly and come up with an appropriate backronym to go with it.

I suppose the fault lies with the only real word begging with gif (that I know) is gift and variations there on. It's not entirely unreasonable that this word would sound like it's pronounced with a j, crazier results exist in the English language.

Look at Knead, are we supposed to now accept it's actually pronounced KA-NEE-AD because that's how it's spelled?
    I am the lucid dream