Thread: "Jif" not "Gif"

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    i pronounced it jif anyway :P

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Go sit on a Grenade! English is one fucked up language.....
    And "fish" is spelled ghoti. gh as in "laugh", o as in "women" and ti as in nation.

Still gif for me, and it'll stay giff lol.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    And "fish" is spelled ghoti. gh as in "laugh", o as in "women" and ti as in nation.
    Feh-shee??

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    If .gif is pronounced the same way as .jif, how does one tell them apart verbally?
    How do you tell other homonyms/homographs/homophones apart, be it writing or pronunciation? Context is required for English, to it's great detriment and benefit. Context is also not hard.

10+ Year Old Account
    If the inventor wants it to be pronounced "Jif" then that's how it was intended to be pronounced and that's how it SHOULD be pronounced. Who cares what the spelling is. It can still be .Gif and pronounced as if a "j". Not sure why this thread is even here and people are actually debating over this. How the hell do you guys say Giraffe? Guh-raff?

10+ Year Old Account
    The OED have stated it does not matter what the creator things, pronunciation is now GIF.

10+ Year Old Account
    The OED told the BBC that it was beyond the software engineer's control to determine how the word should be said. Suck it.

---------- Post added 2013-05-23 at 12:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Doktor Faustus View Post
    The OED have stated it does not matter what the creator things, pronunciation is now GIF.
    Actually OED says it can be done both ways.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorality View Post
    If the inventor wants it to be pronounced "Jif" then that's how it was intended to be pronounced and that's how it SHOULD be pronounced.
    Nope, he's wrong. The internet has agreed it's pronounced GIF, so it shall continue being called GIF. GIFGIFGIFGIFGIFGIFGIFGIF!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin View Post
    Nope, he's wrong. The internet has agreed it's pronounced GIF, so it shall continue being called GIF. GIFGIFGIFGIFGIFGIFGIFGIF!!!!!!!!!!
    The internet has spoken! All hail it's mighty laws!
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin View Post
    Most everyone I've ever met, online or off, says JIF. Plus, online, you're mostly dealing in text, with no indication of pronunciation in either direction.

Sooo anecdotal evidence is anecdotal.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've always called it "Jif" but my friends called it "Gif" which always sounded weird to me. So yay, me.
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy

Quote Originally Posted by Tribunal View Post
    How do you tell other homonyms/homographs/homophones apart, be it writing or pronunciation? Context is required for English, to it's great detriment and benefit. Context is also not hard.
    They are both image formats, so your argument about context is a fail.

"Hey Rick, did you send me over that jif yet?"

"Wait, I thought you wanted it in a gif format?"

"Yeah I do, a jif."

"You mean you want a graphics interchange format, or a jpeg?"

"A graphics interchange format."

See how it's just easier to call it a gif?

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    I'm sorry, but what? Unless you pronounce graphical as "giraffe-ical" that pronunciation of GIF makes no sense.
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribunal View Post
    The G in Gift doesn't even sound like the G in Graphic. As for Jigabyte, do you say PUH-neumonia? Or Al-mond (opposed to ahlmond)?

Sometimes English words are not pronounced as they are spelled. English names are especially not pronounced as spelled (look at the furor over all the variations people came up with for Hermione).

Edit: I suppose some of you in this thread have a fit over "oz." too, right?
    Uh, yes it does. You pronounce the same G sound. The letters after it make the rest of the word sound differently. It's like saying the J's in jewel and Jayne sound differently!!!1!!1

10+ Year Old Account
    It's "gif" to me, forever.

Quote Originally Posted by cherb View Post
    The guy who created the file type is saying its pronounced like Jif, so it isn't really wrong, it's just silly.
    Its more than silly, you don't call it "Graphics Interchange Format" and then try and say it starts with a "J" .........

Its just plain wrong lol GIF is an abbreviation just like for example PNG is "Portable Network Graphics"

Try and tell me you pronounce the "P" in PNG in any other way.
    Science has made us gods even before we are worthy of being men: Jean Rostand. Yeah, Atheism is a religion like bald is a hair colour!.
    Classic: "The tank is the driver, the healer is the fuel, and the DPS are the kids sitting in the back seat screaming and asking if they're there yet."
    Irony >> "do they even realize that having a state religion IS THE REASON WE LEFT BRITTEN? god these people are idiots"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakari View Post
    Its more than silly, you don't call it "Graphics Interchange Format" and then try and say it starts with a "J" .........

Its just plain wrong lol GIF is an abbreviation just like for example PNG is "Portable Network Graphics"

Try and tell me you pronounce the "P" in PNG in any other way.
    Try and tell me how you pronounce PNG in the form of a word, as .gif is..

So how do you differentiate lead and lead? Do you spell one wrong just to keep things somewhat intelligent? Or if we're sticking just to pronunciation, do you say to/too/two differently?
    Nope, it's all about context and usage. In this case, both .gif and .jif are file types. If you pronounced them both 'jif' when talking to someone, the context really muddles the ability to differentiate between the file types.

The only clear course of action is to pronounce them correctly according to how they are spelled.

It's not rocket science.

Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    Until it's .jif, im afraid it's gif.
    Exactly.

Most folks mispronounce cache when using it as a computer term as well, so...