5.3 PvP does resilience even matter now?

So went in to a few random bgs last night to see what effect 5.3 had on PvP (and to have a run on the new BG).

It got me wondering with resilience base line at 65% is it even worth gemming for any more? Logging in last night I think I had just on 67% resilience with basically full resilience gems and the chest enchant. Losing all the other possible stats for 2-3% resilience at best doesn't seem like a great trade off. Out of interest what effect would 2% extra resilience have on your survivability anyway?

I have probably half my pvp gear at 496 + 498 weapon, then the rest is a mix of last season conquest (483), 483 upgraded and 2 476 pieces. Didn't do any real testing that would stand up to any scrutiny but it 'felt' (I know this is highly subjective and not in anyway scientific) like I was better off damage wise replacing all the 483/476 gear with the 522 pve gear I had (even though the 522 scaled down to 496) and it did not negatively impact my survival. First BG I did was in all pvp gear and I felt like I may as well have been slapping some people around with a fishing rod (locks in particular seem to absorb a tonne). Seems like you'd need a heap of pvp power and/or resilience to see any significant difference. I guess I'm confused

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yup, ive messed around with it too on my warlock, and i am better off going in with my pve gear now a days than my pvp gear. Can pump out more damage easily, and the survivability is the same. Kinda sad after working so hard for the pvp gear

None of you realize that all gear is scaled down to ilvl 496 in instanced PVP, do you? You do FAR less damage in PVE gear when entering instanced PVP because all the gear is the same item level, the only difference being that you have lost about 35-40% PVP Power if you were in PVE gear, which means you are doing less damage to player targets. PVP Power is not factored into an item's budget, so you aren't missing ANY stats from wearing PVP gear. I would definitely suggest gemming your main stat and your best secondary stat in your PVP gear, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pewpewwindeeps View Post
    None of you realize that all gear is scaled down to ilvl 496 in instanced PVP, do you? You do FAR less damage in PVE gear when entering instanced PVP because all the gear is the same item level, the only difference being that you have lost about 35-40% PVP Power if you were in PVE gear, which means you are doing less damage to player targets. PVP Power is not factored into an item's budget, so you aren't missing ANY stats from wearing PVP gear. I would definitely suggest gemming your main stat and your best secondary stat in your PVP gear, though.
    It depends on where you are in the PvP gear pecking order, I have only the season 13 honor gear (476) and it doesn't appear to be scaled UP to 496. I did much better once I switched to PvE gear even if with it being scaled down and 0 PvP power.

Herald of the Titans Dristereau's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Gemming Resilience and Power now is just wrong, Primary Stats all the way.
    Gear Priorities are Tyrannical Gear with possibly some PVE Trinkets/Tier Pieces > PVE 496 > PVE 483 > PVP Honor.
    Gear doesn't scale up, just down to 496.

PVP Gear doesn't matter that much now, possibly weapon only as the real needed thing.
    Dristereau - Axxolentus - Infernus - Sequentia - Nulo - Desterrar

Silvermoon
    - Shadowsong/Aszune - Tarren-Mill/Dentarg (SL Mage Tower: 29/36
    )

None of you realize that all gear is scaled down to ilvl 496 in instanced PVP, do you?
    Didn't read the whole post slowly?

Quote Originally Posted by Shomari View Post
    Didn't do any real testing that would stand up to any scrutiny but it 'felt' (I know this is highly subjective and not in anyway scientific) like I was better off damage wise replacing all the 483/476 gear with the 522 pve gear I had (even though the 522 scaled down to 496) and it did not negatively impact my survival.
    You do FAR less damage in PVE gear when entering instanced PVP because all the gear is the same item level, the only difference being that you have lost about 35-40% PVP Power if you were in PVE gear, which means you are doing less damage to player targets. PVP Power is not factored into an item's budget, so you aren't missing ANY stats from wearing PVP gear. I would definitely suggest gemming your main stat and your best secondary stat in your PVP gear, though.
    So are you saying that 522 pve gear scaled back to 496 is worse that say 476 pvp gear? To be honest I can't remember but I don't believe that the 476 gear scaled up to 496?

PvP Power conversion ratio to obtain 1% damage at level 90 has been changed from 265 to 400. So 40% pvp power is 16,000 pvp power rating. Thats a lot. If you've got 522 pve gear (that we all know scales back to 496 in pvp), is that better damage and survival wise, than equipping the 476 pvp gear?

In any case, the initial question was does resilience (eg. gemming for it) even matter now? Is it worthwhile or is it just a waste of a socket?

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't read the whole post slowly?

So are you saying that 522 pve gear scaled back to 496 is worse that say 476 pvp gear? To be honest I can't remember but I don't believe that the 476 gear scaled up to 496?

PvP Power conversion ratio to obtain 1% damage at level 90 has been changed from 265 to 400. So 40% pvp power is 16,000 pvp power rating. Thats a lot. If you've got 522 pve gear (that we all know scales back to 496 in pvp), is that better damage and survival wise, than equipping the 476 pvp gear?

In any case, the initial question was does resilience (eg. gemming for it) even matter now? Is it worthwhile or is it just a waste of a socket?
    Read my post. I have full Malevolent and some Tyrannical on my Ret Paladin and sitting now at around 35% PVP Power. Was around 55% prior to the patch. PVE 496 is better than PVP 476 by an absolute mile, possibly besides weapon due to it having a chunk of PVP Power. More Stamina, more Primary and Secondary Stats, but no PVP Power. And from the item you probably get around 1.5% PVP Power. So no, its not worth it. All top PVPers are regemming to Primary Stats. Resilience being baseline makes it pointless. PVP Power has no priority anymore.

Silvermoon
    )

Quote Originally Posted by Luminoth4 View Post
    Read my post. I have full Malevolent and some Tyrannical on my Ret Paladin and sitting now at around 35% PVP Power. Was around 55% prior to the patch. PVE 496 is better than PVP 476 by an absolute mile, possibly besides weapon due to it having a chunk of PVP Power. More Stamina, more Primary and Secondary Stats, but no PVP Power. And from the item you probably get around 1.5% PVP Power. So no, its not worth it. All top PVPers are regemming to Primary Stats. Resilience being baseline makes it pointless. PVP Power has no priority anymore.
    Yup sorry was typing my reply when you must have posted so missed it. But yes, what you are saying in your first post is the same conclusion I came to. I was think that if you had a choice between 502 or above pve gear or 476/483 pvp gear then the pve gear would be the default choice.

Based on my very rough and probably very bad napkin analysis my BiS gear for PvP is 4pc t15 522 PvE gear with a mix of other PvE gear, maybe a couple of off 496 pvp pieces and the 2 tyrannical trinkets and the tyrannical weapon. To me that's not a good thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yup sorry was typing my reply when you must have posted so missed it. But yes, what you are saying in your first post is the same conclusion I came to. I was think that if you had a choice between 502 or above pve gear or 476/483 pvp gear then the pve gear would be the default choice.

Based on my very rough and probably very bad napkin analysis my BiS gear for PvP is all 522 PvE gear besides the 2 tyrannical trinkets and the tyrannical weapon. To me that's not a good thing.
    My personal opinion is that BIS slots for PVP Gear are Weapon, Neck, Rings, Wrists, Belts and Feet, beacuse they have PVP Power and generally no crazy things related to PVE. Weapon could be debatable depending on what items come out (Legendaries for example), and the only mandatory trinket is freedom. Shado-Pan Assault Trinkets and the like are still better for PVP, and Tier Bonuses could be better than the PVP Gear. Pretty much jump into Trollduar LFR and 502 items will be better than any Honor Gear besides the weapon probably.

But yeah, not that good in my opinion. We seem to be going the opposite of Cataclysm Cataclysmic Season PVP, where People had PVP Gear and PVE Weapons, now its looking more like PVE Gear with PVP Weapons. Hoping to see some changes soon, my interest in PVP today has dropped somewhat personally.

Silvermoon
    )

Quote Originally Posted by Luminoth4 View Post
    My personal opinion is that BIS slots for PVP Gear are Weapon, Neck, Rings, Wrists, Belts and Feet, beacuse they have PVP Power and generally no crazy things related to PVE. Weapon could be debatable depending on what items come out (Legendaries for example), and the only mandatory trinket is freedom. Shado-Pan Assault Trinkets and the like are still better for PVP, and Tier Bonuses could be better than the PVP Gear. Pretty much jump into Trollduar LFR and 502 items will be better than any Honor Gear besides the weapon probably.

But yeah, not that good in my opinion. We seem to be going the opposite of Cataclysm Cataclysmic Season PVP, where People had PVP Gear and PVE Weapons, now its looking more like PVE Gear with PVP Weapons. Hoping to see some changes soon, my interest in PVP today has dropped somewhat personally.
    Yeah sorry should have said my pve gear i have the tier set so that's another reason I stick with that. I'll stick with any 496 pvp off pieces but replace any of the old 483 stuff with my 522 pve gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    well had a look this morning and: My plan as TG fury is
    Red str/Crit
    yellow Crit
    Blue sta Crit
    Get more enrage up time that way heh

aaa and i got epic pvp meta. Thats very nice !!!!!
    Geme smtn 2 kielllllll.

Here is a link for the current spreadsheet for warriors, currently stacking crit outdoes Strength and the numbers are all in here. http://www.arenajunkies.com/topic/23...gemming-in-53/

Quote Originally Posted by lordzed83 View Post
    well had a look this morning and: My plan as TG fury is
    Red str/Crit
    yellow Crit
    Blue sta Crit
    Get more enrage up time that way heh

aaa and i got epic pvp meta. Thats very nice !!!!!
    I've been trying TG fury too. Kept 2pc t15 for the bonus, feather plus pvp trinket, mix of tyrannical gear plus raid gear in any slot I didn't have tyrannical for, plus tyrannical weapon and lei Shen axe and it was pretty good. Felt like a stronger set up than my full pvp gear set tbh.

10+ Year Old Account
    I noticed something odd, the level 70 Brutal PvP gear has no PvP Power, it still has Resilience. Does that mean the changes only affected level 90 PvP gear then? 0.00% PvP Power on my 70 with full Brutal.

Edit: Seems it only applies to 90, that sucks. Could have been hilarious to see heirloom players get wrecked.
    Last edited by NatePsy; 2013-05-24 at 02:24 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.arenajunkies.com/topic/23...gemming-in-53/ for gemming

But players in Malevolent drop like rocks to me. It's kind of pathetic. Their gear sucked donkey ass last patch and now it's just useless.

The answer is definitely not to revert changes, that would be a huge step back. The biggest problem with PvP this expansion has been the gear gap. Fuck the CC, fuck the retarded burst, it is only when everyone can see the game from the same perspective that they can see how retarded the game has actually been for the past half year. There is still a ridiculously large gap between Malevolent and Tyrannical geared players.

I've been trying TG fury too. Kept 2pc t15 for the bonus
    i just go full 4pc and absolutely wreck people when they ignore me

which, they do, because you know, fury warrior and all

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    http://www.arenajunkies.com/topic/23...gemming-in-53/ for gemming

But players in Malevolent drop like rocks to me. It's kind of pathetic. Their gear sucked donkey ass last patch and now it's just useless.

The answer is definitely not to revert changes, that would be a huge step back. The biggest problem with PvP this expansion has been the gear gap. Fuck the CC, fuck the retarded burst, it is only when everyone can see the game from the same perspective that they can see how retarded the game has actually been for the past half year. There is still a ridiculously large gap between Malevolent and Tyrannical geared players.

i just go full 4pc and absolutely wreck people when they ignore me

which, they do, because you know, fury warrior and all
    i really hope you joking?gear gap is not the problem in wows pvp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Crit is your new best friend, IMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    I went fill crit as TG and i brake faces on bgs. Dont see many times killed now. Re subed atm
    Geme smtn 2 kielllllll.

i say just gem base stats now.

15+ Year Old Account
    Outside ORG sending your children down the mines.
    base stat plus crit is all you should need now.