Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

MoP > Vanilla a lot!

So I have two active accounts, and I pay for my girlfriends making it 3.

Now that I have shared that, I would like to say that I try ed a private server for past couple months on top of playing live WoW. It's blizz-like vanilla server with no free gear, no hand outs, and no profit. The only thing that is different about the game is the XP is sped up a bit because we all know how vanilla XP was.

So when i come on here, and see people talking about how amazing it was back then, how awesome it was etc etc... Im thinking to myself well I started in BC I should check this out. So now I have checked it out and all I can say is...

People really need to stop complaining about current WoW and I wish they could experience how freaking shity Vanilla really was.

Few things people need to understand about this amazing time in WoW. ( The server is very populated and it's a fair representation of back then.)

- You don't have NEARLY enough money to buy your spells from the trainers spread out in towns.
    - Pick and choose early game to buy what spells you want, most being crap ( old conjure mage food anyone?).
    - If you pull more then 3 mobs alone while questing unless you're a hybrid you're going to die.
    - No indication of where to go on your map for quest / NO quest helper addon.
    - ? and ! are not even on your mini map. Let alone world map.
    - Reading quest text, or Google where to go constantly.
    -You run out of mana extremely quickly with very poor re-gen ( none of this 100%+ stuff till 20 )
    - No mount until level 40, and good luck affording it.
    - LFD tool is amazing on live, good luck finding low level dungeons groups late at night let alone them going to the stone.
    - Be ready to spend hours to afford enchants / consumables
    - Attunements, Attunements, Attunements, on top of that farm certain gear for certain raids. and have insanely long rep grinds.
    -No transmorg, everyone has a turban on, mismatched Easter or baby colors, unless you raid end game which people are very picky about who they bring, ( No LFR heroes ) and even a lot of the end game gear is ugly.
    -World pvp? Yeah if you die be prepared to run the 10 minute walk. Each zone has ONE GRAVEYARD very FAR away.
    -About 10 Flight paths on each side of the world ( no flying mounts ) They take about 10-15 minutes if far.
    -Leveling up different weapon skills each time you get a new weapon until you max each one.
    -Lower level and want to wear a different weapon then you started with? Hike your ass to a diff capital and buy the weapon skill...
    -You made a hunter? Go level that new pet you just trained.
    -Want to BG? stay in town, Que up, and sit there.
    -Want to do world pvp? Don't kill most NPCS or lose hours and hours of pvp ranking you acquired.

Okay so you made it through all that crap, and you joined the UBRS groups, did ZG, did your molten core, rolled against tons of other people. Finally after months of catching up, of dungeons and early raids. You're ready to enter some end game!

- Spells / Moves? Very scarce and very poorly designed. Mages for example frost has 3 damage moves, cone of cold, frost bolt, and blizzard. Go raid molten and be prepared to spam frost bolt over and over.
    - Want to dps a raid and have a spot?? Hopefully you're a Mage/Warlock/Rogue/Warrior/Spriest.
    - You're ret/enhance/feral? Better be amazing.
    - Want to tank? Be a warrior, and sometimes a druid.
    - LFR not being fair with loot? Go roll against 39 other people.
    - Oh but raiding was a lot more epic? Nope... the fights are very generic compared to the amazing quality of what we have seen, ICC, ToT, Ulduar, hell even dragon soul has 10x better boss mechanics then 40 man naxx.
    -Don't forget tomes of spells ( you know ranks? )better farm some AQ for that extra rank immolate or that other warlock will have a stronger spell then you. ( also roll against the other 9 locks in your raid. ).
    -You can even be that shaman who stays out of combat to res the dead!

TL : DR - Vanilla was not great, people need to stop preaching that. <Mod Edit: URL Removed>
    You don't even need to play it to see, just read the forums, speaks for itself. Hell look at their talent tree calculator.

Mod Edit: Please don't link or refer people to a private server like this, or anything else which breaks the Blizzard ToS.
    Last edited by mmoc99cfbcce04; 2013-05-23 at 10:29 AM.

to me vanilla and mists are very close in quality

best to worst for me goes

mists
    vanilla
    wrath
    cata
    bc
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Everyone knows that mop is the best expansion they've ever released, and everyone also knows that vanilla sucked hairy man ass.

This topic has been beaten to death so many times, is this thread really necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by Definition View Post
    Everyone knows that mop is the best expansion they've ever released, and everyone also knows that vanilla sucked hairy man ass.

This topic has been beaten to death so many times, is this thread really necessary?
    vanilla was awesome and extremely casual for its time
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by BetrayedOf52 View Post
    So I have two active accounts, and I pay for my girlfriends making it 3.

Now that I have shared that, I would like to say that I try ed a private server for past couple months on top of playing live WoW. It's blizz-like vanilla server with no free gear, no hand outs, and no profit. The only thing that is different about the game is the XP is sped up a bit because we all know how vanilla XP was.

So when i come on here, and see people talking about how amazing it was back then, how awesome it was etc etc... Im thinking to myself well I started in BC I should check this out. So now I have checked it out and all I can say is...

People really need to stop complaining about current WoW and I wish they could experience how freaking shity Vanilla really was.

Few things people need to understand about this amazing time in WoW. ( The server is very populated and it's a fair representation of back then.)

- You don't have NEARLY enough money to buy your spells from the trainers spread out in towns.
    - Pick and choose early game to buy what spells you want, most being crap ( old conjure mage food anyone?).
    - If you pull more then 3 mobs alone while questing unless you're a hybrid you're going to die.
    - No indication of where to go on your map for quest / NO quest helper addon.
    - ? and ! are not even on your mini map. Let alone world map.
    - Reading quest text, or Google where to go constantly.
    -You run out of mana extremely quickly with very poor re-gen ( none of this 100%+ stuff till 20 )
    - No mount until level 40, and good luck affording it.
    - LFD tool is amazing on live, good luck finding low level dungeons groups late at night let alone them going to the stone.
    - Be ready to spend hours to afford enchants / consumables
    - Attunements, Attunements, Attunements, on top of that farm certain gear for certain raids. and have insanely long rep grinds.
    -No transmorg, everyone has a turban on, mismatched Easter or baby colors, unless you raid end game which people are very picky about who they bring, ( No LFR heroes ) and even a lot of the end game gear is ugly.
    -World pvp? Yeah if you die be prepared to run the 10 minute walk. Each zone has ONE GRAVEYARD very FAR away.
    -About 10 Flight paths on each side of the world ( no flying mounts ) They take about 10-15 minutes if far.
    -Leveling up different weapon skills each time you get a new weapon until you max each one.
    -Lower level and want to wear a different weapon then you started with? Hike your ass to a diff capital and buy the weapon skill...
    -You made a hunter? Go level that new pet you just trained.
    -Want to BG? stay in town, Que up, and sit there.
    -Want to do world pvp? Don't kill most NPCS or lose hours and hours of pvp ranking you acquired.

Okay so you made it through all that crap, and you joined the UBRS groups, did ZG, did your molten core, rolled against tons of other people. Finally after months of catching up, of dungeons and early raids. You're ready to enter some end game!

- Spells / Moves? Very scarce and very poorly designed. Mages for example frost has 3 damage moves, cone of cold, frost bolt, and blizzard. Go raid molten and be prepared to spam frost bolt over and over.
    - Want to dps a raid and have a spot?? Hopefully you're a Mage/Warlock/Rogue/Warrior/Spriest.
    - You're ret/enhance/feral? Better be amazing.
    - Want to tank? Be a warrior, and sometimes a druid.
    - LFR not being fair with loot? Go roll against 39 other people.
    - Oh but raiding was a lot more epic? Nope... the fights are very generic compared to the amazing quality of what we have seen, ICC, ToT, Ulduar, hell even dragon soul has 10x better boss mechanics then 40 man naxx.
    -Don't forget tomes of spells ( you know ranks? )better farm some AQ for that extra rank immolate or that other warlock will have a stronger spell then you. ( also roll against the other 9 locks in your raid. ).
    -You can even be that shaman who stays out of combat to res the dead!

TL : DR - Vanilla was not great, people need to stop preaching that. <removed>
    You don't even need to play it to see, just read the forums, speaks for itself. Hell look at their talent tree calculator.
    I agree that Vanilla was kinda shitty.. But it's because of Vanilla's difficulty that made wow strong at end-game and leveling up.
    Todays wow, ANYONE can hit 90.. Easy Peasy. Back then, if you hit level 40ish.. You were considered amazing just because of how difficult it was to level up.

I guess what I'm trying to say is.. todays wow has a LOT more people who don't know how to play, than there are that do know how to play.. All because of making the game easier. :/
    Last edited by mmoc99cfbcce04; 2013-05-23 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Removing link from quote.

My only complaint with mist of pandaria is pvp because nobody cast and hunters have no dead zone. I use to beat full cata players in greens on certain classes and actually win but now if he loses. He just didn't have ice lance, incinerate, or conflagrate bound there are just to many instant spells in this game right now. If they would just get pvp together this would be the perfect expansion for me at least.
    You're right except for 2 things.

1. My name is spelt "God" not "Loucious-sama".
    2. I'm not a man, because man is inherently flawed. I am in fact a being so far beyond your comprehension that archaic constraints like flesh, blood, time and consequently, gender, have no meaning to me.

Herald of the Titans Darksoldierr's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Can you send me the private server's homepage or adress to me in PM? Would love to play Vanila against after so many years.
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    vanilla was awesome and extremely casual for its time
    Imagine how quickly someone would give up, in this current time of wow. If it stayed true to vanilla.

10+ Year Old Account
    people always talk about past expansions

and the only thing they compare is convenience

Vanilla WoW game play was kinda poor but epicknes of Vanillla was about exploring world and seeing new staf that yuo havent seen befour

Quote Originally Posted by Darksoldierr View Post
    Can you send me the private server's homepage or adress to me in PM? Would love to play Vanila against after so many years.
    Sent. I prefer the BC one they offer, but Vanilla is very true to how it was.

Deleted
    Vanilla required you to actually play the game, not like it is now. Log in, do some raids / pvp, log out and wait for next week. Vanilla was great because it required time to play.

Deleted
    Vanilla was nice because it felt epic. Getting T3 felt epic. The world itself felt epic.
    Other than that, compared to Mists, it kinda sucked. There are so infinitely more things to do now...it's not even comparable.

The only thing wrong with Vanilla was: classes being pigeonholed and lack of spells and buffs that were very short (paladin blessings..... ) warlock shards and mages who didn't have tables. The rest was one of the most epic adventures.

The OP is talking about convenience stuff, which is exactly to me why WoW has declined.

And again: "waaaah waaaah bossfights were so simple." Dude try those bosses with the small amount of spells we had. Try it. But you cannot try it objectively because you also had so much experience fighting "better" bosses. So regardless if you try it, you might get near Vanilla players experience, but you won't experience it like that.

But what people are actually preaching.... is that the "hardness" of the content, the time it took to actually get someplace - that was rewarding. Epic dungeons which took hours. But some people love the short stuff. The "handout" stuff. The "requires little to no effort" stuff, due to whatever reason. And then yes Vanilla sucks.

I actually "feared" going outside Stormwind/Ironforge. I knew there could be some pack of elites just around the corner to get me. I was scared to death going as a low level towards Redrigde. I now never have to worry about anything. Even if the mobs are strong (which they aren't) I can simply fly over them.

And seriously mate.. "rolling against 39 other people?" Do you know the concept of guilds? DKP and stuff? Do you know that at the very least until way past mid vanilla there were no successful pugs (exceptions are there) in any 40 man? Did you know that you won't roll against 39 people because items were, just like now, not viable for everyone?

Attunements were great. But yes I had the time and friends to do them. I had a good guild. So yes for me this period was (together with TBC) one of the most awesome ever adventures.

So please just cut it out.

But... I will give you one thing: I wouldn't go back to vanilla. I had done that to death. But I would like some features (such as elites, long dungeons BRD style, etc) to be put back into the game. But it won't happen. So don't worry.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    people always talk about past expansions

and the only thing they compare is convenience
    More then just convenience, it's genuinely to me just not fun when I play it. I have a max level mage, and frost tree has 3 damage moves, Arcane has ONE ( arcane missle. ) and fire cannot be used on quite a few bosses.

---------- Post added 2013-05-23 at 07:41 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    The only thing wrong with Vanilla was: classes being pigeonholed and lack of spells and buffs that were very short (paladin blessings..... ) warlock shards and mages who didn't have tables. The rest was one of the most epic adventures.

The OP is talking about convenience stuff, which is exactly to me why WoW has declined.

And again: "waaaah waaaah bossfights were so simple." Dude try those bosses with the small amount of spells we had. Try it. But you cannot try it objectively because you also had so much experience fighting "better" bosses. So regardless if you try it, you might get near Vanilla players experience, but you won't experience it like that.

But what people are actually preaching.... is that the "hardness" of the content, the time it took to actually get someplace - that was rewarding. Epic dungeons which took hours. But some people love the short stuff. The "handout" stuff. The "requires little to no effort" stuff, due to whatever reason. And then yes Vanilla sucks.

I actually "feared" going outside Stormwind/Ironforge. I knew there could be some pack of elites just around the corner to get me. I was scared to death going as a low level towards Redrigde. I now never have to worry about anything. Even if the mobs are strong (which they aren't) I can simply fly over them.

And seriously mate.. "rolling against 39 other people?" Do you know the concept of guilds? DKP and stuff? Do you know that at the very least until way past mid vanilla there were no successful pugs (exceptions are there) in any 40 man? Did you know that you won't roll against 39 people because items were, just like now, not viable for everyone?

Attunements were great. But yes I had the time and friends to do them. I had a good guild. So yes for me this period was (together with TBC) one of the most awesome ever adventures.

So please just cut it out.

But... I will give you one thing: I wouldn't go back to vanilla. I had done that to death. But I would like some features (such as elites, long dungeons BRD style, etc) to be put back into the game. But it won't happen. So don't worry.
    There is nothing epic about BRD and UBRS, the amount of recycled and repeated trash inside that place puts me to sleep. Not only was it to long, the bosses were face roll. You want to talk epic? For dungeons try the 3 ICC ones, Raids? ICC 25 man, ToT 25 man, Ulduar 25 man.

Edit : I did talk a lot about convenience, but most of it is 100% needed. Want a good attunement quest? Kara key was a great one. Raid lead, and a few others would have it. Not everyone... that provides convenience for a lot of raiders, but it still adds a challenge for the ones who want it.
    Last edited by BetrayedOf52; 2013-05-23 at 07:43 AM.

Deleted
    True and I agree .. but you will get flamed in any case.

Quote Originally Posted by BetrayedOf52 View Post
    There is nothing epic about BRD and UBRS, the amount of recycled and repeated trash inside that place puts me to sleep. Not only was it to long, the bosses were face roll. You want to talk epic? For dungeons try the 3 ICC ones, Raids? ICC 25 man, ToT 25 man, Ulduar 25 man.
    About the dungeons: that only tells me that you had the attentionspan of a goldfish. I am not saying that to insult you (I am sorry if you felt offended), just said that to make a point. English is not my native language.

Hey mate, this discussions was if Vanilla was epic or not. It was. I have played since then you know. Killed everything on heroic until tier 11. So yes I know Ulduar at the very least was very epic. But if you talk to me about what bosses and moments I have the fondest memories of... tadaaaa Vanilla and TBC bossfights come into the game very early.

And again, you and so many others do not put things into perspective. Vanilla was epic from a POV that no one ever had done any bossfights. Everyone was impressed by the shear size of Molten Core and the bigg ass giants at the start. There was something of fear when you entered MC.

You did not have the insane amount of skills that could save you. And if you did have a "life saving ability" (lay on hands for example) it was on 1 hour cooldown or something. Which meant that you did not dare use it, because you did not know if there would be a "worse" situation coming when it was CERTAINLY needed. I am not defending this 1 hour cooldown thing. It is shit to have a cooldown this long. But seeing as how class balance, skills etc etc etc all come into place vs the bosses we had - I think it was quite an accomplishment to down a boss. So while everything perhaps was shit vs now, it was far more difficult. I mean getting healing gear for a paladin.... I wore a fecking blue priest dress from Stratholm. Poor itemisation. Yes that was so, but damn it was very nice to sorta screw with the game to get good gear. I looked like a peacock... But atleast I was in a raidingguild that even cleared 50% of naxx 40. Not many are able to say that. So yes to me it was epic. Regardless of what ANYONE says, you cannot change my mind about that.
    Last edited by Vaelorian; 2013-05-23 at 07:54 AM.

Deleted
    wanna point something vital for the game, no quest helper etc u actually have to READ the quest read and learn about the stories unfolding, and learn the places of the world. see now low lvl do quests they are running like headless chickens, LFR vs Attunments, ofc i ll go for at, again u have to do something epic to get into raids, if u wanna raid show it if u dont stay in the dungeons, back in vanilla gear was something great, when u had an epic from naxx on u u were like god in towns, agree with walking till 40, better survivability with mobs learn how to be careful where u walk and go instead of pulling the whole area with u and just evade, mass resurrection ppl need to learn how to use the release spirit button... imo vanilla had its downsides but yet it produced better quality players, if u wanted to play the game to progress u had to become elite if u wanted to stay casual u were browsing around the world.

Deleted
    Well although I agree with you I just think that the hardness (heh) made you felt proud of the things you accomplished in the game. Now these days I don't feel that. I believe that MoP is the greatest expansion ever made but I still miss the feeling of telling a story to my friends of how awesome I was because I did that-and-that-and-that.. you know!

Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    Hey mate, this discussions was if Vanilla was epic or not. It was. I have played since then you know. Killed everything on heroic until tier 11. So yes I know Ulduar at the very least was very epic. But if you talk to me about what bosses and moments I have the fondest memories of... tadaaaa Vanilla and TBC bossfights come into the game very early.

And again, you and so many others do not put things into perspective. Vanilla was epic from a POV that no one ever had done any bossfights. Everyone was impressed by the shear size of Molten Core and the bigg ass giants at the start. There was something of fear when you entered MC.

You did not have the insane amount of skills that could save you. And if you did have a "life saving ability" (lay on hands for example) it was on 1 hour cooldown or something. Which meant that you did not dare use it, because you did not know if there would be a "worse" situation coming when it was CERTAINLY needed. I am not defending this 1 hour cooldown thing. It is shit to have a cooldown this long. But seeing as how class balance, skills etc etc etc all come into place vs the bosses we had - I think it was quite an accomplishment to down a boss. So while everything perhaps was shit vs now, it was far more difficult. I mean getting healing gear for a paladin.... I wore a fecking blue priest dress from Stratholm. Poor itemisation. Yes that was so, but damn it was very nice to sorta screw with the game to get good gear. I looked like a peacock... But atleast I was in a raidingguild that even cleared 50% of naxx 40. Not many are able to say that. So yes to me it was epic. Regardless of what ANYONE says, you cannot change my mind about that.
    Still, all of what you just said to me sounds boring... Or tedious.