Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Threat help for our Blood DK tank.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...other/advanced

Hello, I would like to know any tips I could get to give to our Blood DK tank for opening threat. Myself, as a Fury warrior, and our other melee in our 10 man are both having issues with pulling aggro off our tanks, specifically our dk (other is a prot paladin). Its to the point where I'm pulling threat 9/10 times with cooldowns up, and 4-5/10 if I delay my cooldowns. And many times, if I don't pull threat off him, its our other melee.

Is there anything he can do to help his opening threat before his vengeance stacks, other than us DPS holding our collective horses?

Subsequent question, is there any way to get the runic power for a DRW before a pull, reliably without trash/burning empower runic weapon?

Will post WoL soon if needed.

Deleted
    Post the log, it should help a lot.

Our DK tank gears almost completely for DPS and our Fury Warrior still manages to pull off of him if he has good RNG. Use Hand of Salvation if this happens consistently.

His armory doesn't really tell us much other than the fact that he's gearing defensively -- excessively so. There is a point where defense at the expense of offense is actually detrimental, and he's past that point. Why exactly did he go for the Tank 4pc? All it does is add a more runic power to already runic power flooded spec. The DPS 2pc is infinitely more useful than the Tank 4pc this tier.
    Last edited by Lothrik; 2013-05-23 at 11:37 AM.

I can't pull up his armory right now because I am at work, but here are some general tips to help him hold threat on the pull.

- Make sure he has 7.5 Hit / 7.5 Expertise
    - If you are a running 10 man then he should be able to safely reforge into haste from Dodge/Parry which will net him more dps/threat at a minimal risk to survivability.
    - Use a countdown timer to start the pull (DBM has one built in)
    - If he is tanking first and Army isn't needed for something later in the fight (a lot of people save it for door 3 on Horridon for example) have him use Army 6-7 seconds before the pull.
    - Pop Ghoul after Army as you run in.
    - Pre-pot for Strength
    - Open with a Death Strike (Generally you want to wait to take damage before you DS, but DS just pulls so much more threat than any other ability)
    - If you've opened with Army and used your Horn just prior to pulling the boss then after a single Death Strike you should have more than enough runic power at this point to use your Dancing Rune weapon and unless you absolutely need it to survive in the very near future you should use it while the pre-pot is still rolling.
    - Once DRW is up wait a second or two for it to engage the boss and then apply outbreak for double diseases. Hell I usually will even use ERW so I can get as many hits as possible in while DRW is up.
    - If for some reason threat is still an issue don't be afraid to pre-emptively taunt to ensure that you are the one getting hit for the first few seconds. You have two taunts with Death Grip and Dark Command, take advantage of this.

Using this opening on most bosses will give me 250-300k dps on the opening burst and put me miles ahead of everyone on threat. If your DK is still having issues after this you may want to look into getting another tank to start your pull.
    Last edited by Guts the Black Swordsman; 2013-05-23 at 02:04 PM.

Depending on what the pull is, you DK can pop IBF and ask the healers not to heal him for a few seconds to gain vengeance.

My usual opener on my DK is to lay D&D, outbreak, heart strike, rune strike, and heart strike I believe and I don't have issues with keeping aggro from dps that out gear me.

He's gemmed for pure stamina even ignoring yellow slots with +180 parry °_°
    He's also using Conversion which is useful on like 1 fight this tier.
    What I can tell from you rlogs is that he must be wasting Death Runes on Heart Strike or delay Death Strike usage too long making him have way too few DS/min (should be about 50% more DS than he uses)

On topic: Pretty hard to keep up with other tanks or fury warriors on the pull and there's little you can do other than taunt on cooldown until the vengeance catches up.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    A dk tank should never have threat issues and should not be relying on vengeance to generate his threat. He is either wasting resources entirely or burning his runes on death strikes. Given that rune strike and death strike make up the majority of a blood dk's damage, threat and mitigation resources neglecting either of them is ill-advised.

As to his gemming for stamina over mastery: he is essentially gimping his survivability as more mastery=larger shields=greater mitigation.

Stat priority: Mastery>Hit cap>Expertise soft cap>parry>stamina>haste>dodge

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticshaft View Post
    Depending on what the pull is, you DK can pop IBF and ask the healers not to heal him for a few seconds to gain vengeance.
    Getting healed doesn't reduce your vengeance...

Quote Originally Posted by Samsarathedk View Post
    Stat priority: Mastery>Hit cap>Expertise soft cap>parry>stamina>haste>dodge
    The survivability that haste provides is so close to parry that you may as well go for mastery>hit>expertise>haste for the extra dps and consistency.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom51 View Post
    The survivability that haste provides is so close to parry that you may as well go for mastery>hit>expertise>haste for the extra dps and consistency.
    I disagree, choosing haste over parry essentially gimps dancing rune weapon as a cd (which is very powerful for avoiding stacks on specific fights).

Quote Originally Posted by Samsarathedk View Post
    I disagree, choosing haste over parry essentially gimps dancing rune weapon as a cd (which is very powerful for avoiding stacks on specific fights).
    Come on, we all know DRW is a DPS ability!

Deleted
    channel army before pull, HoW, str pot > run in with outbreak > DS DS > DRW > HS HS > done (if u still need more damage use ERW too) fairly easy pull. also if you have another 2 handed wep enchant with FC and use on pull, track the proc, and just swap out once its proced.

(MD if you got a hunter and if that isn't enough get tricks too)

Lots of things going on with this guy. Gemming stam, specced into conversion/purgatory. Reforging into dodge from parry, be better to reforge into exp (even it puts u over 7.5%) or even haste. With all the issues with the gear it probably alludes to him not using his rotation properly i.e. too many heart strikes probably. Threat is a non issue if u are using the proper abilities nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by ultimatehawk View Post
    also if you have another 2 handed wep enchant with FC and use on pull
    Also what this guy said, but I would just leave the FC enchant on your main weapon.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by alfaqup View Post
    Also what this guy said, but I would just leave the FC enchant on your main weapon.
    not using SSG is a massive damage taken increase for a tiny damage done increase

If the DK is using conversion, rune strike is our largest threat ability and there may not be enough resources available. I suggest using pet sac. For reference my dk's links. Keep in mind my gear is somewhat wacky atm as we are working on Heroic Lei Shen.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ossible/simple
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/guilds/2234/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimatehawk View Post
    not using SS is a massive damage taken increase for a tiny damage done increase
    Fixed it for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiqjaq View Post
    Getting healed doesn't reduce your vengeance...
    No it does not. However, if there is a absorption bubble on him from a priest or pally he doesn't take that damage and convert it to vengeance.

No it does not. However, if there is a absorption bubble on him from a priest or pally he doesn't take that damage and convert it to vengeance.
    Definitely not the case. He'll still get the vengeance.
    I'm not sure when they fixed that... wasn't it like BC or something? >.>

Yeah...this guy has got so many problems that I wonder if he knows his class at all. Im seriously not trying to be a prude it's just...man. Don't think I have ever had opening pull threat issues, much less if your using DRW and ERW for threat.

-Don't stack Stamina gems
    -Get Rune of the Fallen Crusader (or at least Stoneskin Gargoyle)
    -Pick up Death Pack over Conversion
    -Don't reforge Parry into Dodge
    -Glyph of DRW (cause of this threat issue) over Glyph of Death and Decay

10+ Year Old Account
    That was fixed during Cata man.

OT, glyph for Dancing Rune Weapon. The 100% threat modifier causes DRW to increase a DK's threat modifier to 1000%, instead of 500%. That means that if a DK does 100k damage (A death strike crit, or 2x death strikes) with DRW up, a dps would have to do 1 million damage in order to take threat. Another example- if a DK does 50k dps (on the low side for a tank), dps would have to deal 500k dps to take threat. I don't think there are any classes capable of doing that much single target damage, even for burst right now, on a fight without any +damage modifiers.
    Last edited by Raugnaut; 2013-05-24 at 04:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.