Deleted

Tanks & damage intake in different formats. Misconceptions?

Hello!

I have lately seen often claims that on 25 man bosses hit much harder than their 10 man counterparts. And while they do hit harder, some players have gone that far as to state that on 25 man they hit at least +50% if not twice as hard. Compared to this, most abilities do 20-30% more damage, and according to logs on WoL even their melee swings are within the +25% limit.
    Which is completely fine IMO. Since with different gearing tanks can reach that +30% in health pool.

But where do these claims come from then? From the era when 10 man drooped weaker loot than 25 man?

More specifically, this was brought up in some discussions with the intended chance to vengeance caps. [The new cap would be 30% of HP on 10man, and 50% on 25 man.] While many people think that 40%/50% would be more realistic (and it is within the +20-30%), quite some 25man tanks think that they need the 67% higher cap. And this doesn't even calculates in their different gearing strategies, which inflates this even more.

Or are 25man tanks simply looking down on their 10man counterparts this way? Is this a part of the endless 25vs10 debate?

Any opinions?

A lot of it is 10 vs 25, but boss damage is tuned higher in 25 to account for the higher group throughput of 5-8 healers versus 2-3 in 10man. The devs can and do assume "baseline" levels of HPS (and raid DPS) when setting the damage ranges and HP pools/enrages, based on the thought that 25 will have more healers, more synergy, and likely all buffs/debuffs.

I also don't really agree with the cap %s as set, but I do agree with and proposed the idea. I suggested a way low value of 20-25% for both (to prevent using stam-stacking for DPS via HP increasing veng-ceiling), but I can also see the credence for 50/65% splits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

Deleted
    Can't check for myself but you can go browser through the dungeon journal and see if the abilities hit harder when you're looking under then 25 bit, as compared to the 10 section.

Deleted
    It is obvious that the damage in 25mans needs to be higher, that isn't my point. My problem is when people think that the incoming damage to tanks is the same on 25N and 10H, and 25H is something WAY higher.

IMO, the 40/50% cap would be fine. Lower than that and you can reach cap without cheesing mechanics/one-tanking 2-tank fights/standing in bad/etc. And AFAIK the main purpose of this would be making that less rewarding, not limiting players during standard gameplay. Because I managed to reach the 30% mark few times already while not doing either of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Ixuzcc View Post
    Can't check for myself but you can go browser through the dungeon journal and see if the abilities hit harder when you're looking under then 25 bit, as compared to the 10 section.
    Done. The are hitting 20-30% harder. Some are unchanged.