The 5.3 grind and playing catch up

Hello all, after some time off from raiding and then the game in general, I am back and ready to go again.

I have decided to ditch the Druid and Warlock at the moment and level a Monk. They seem pretty good and I want to do some tanking.

I have spent a little bit leveling, got up to 63, probably will hit 90 within the next week.

My question is with ilvls shooting past the moon (was just under 500 on both 90 toons), how long do you figure the catch up to get to a reasonable ilvl to get into some ToT raiding would be. A brief note...I have really bad luck with LFR drops (or at least to). I do not have a stock pile of gold, so buying things like the 522 boe's doesn't exist unfortunately.

Thoughts and opinions on the catch up time?

Thanks!

well if you do dailys and each week get yourself a key to the eldercharm-athon then you can actually gear up quite fast, consider this, you run all the heroics and get 470 ilvl, then you manage to get lucky and get 480 from a couple of drops and now that conquest has a massive weekly cap, you can gear for ToT LFR in one week if you put your mind to it.

even if you cap valor and conquest you can still get lucky from dailys and earn a couple more bonus rolls, with 10 elder charms your basically guaranteed to get at least 1 item from bonus rolls.

there really is an element of luck to it though it depends on if you get a key on the isle to the treasure run, which if you loot every chest you can before the time runs out easily nets you over 10 charms with some luck, but some ppl can and have found 2 keys in one week, ive not been that lucky yet but if you are, then your looking at a potential 10-20 bonus rolls and perhaps 3 or 4 extra items, after your already saved to the raids.

my bro and I only recently came back after an 8 month break and steam rolled to 90, (priest and war combo is epic win, we fire the LFD everytime we join it) last week just as it was getting toward the reset i was ilvl 479 after running a couple BG's and buying a couple ilvl 496's out the AH i was able to get into ToT in the same week i was 85 so there we go. it can be done.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2013-05-23 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    well if you do dailys and each week get yourself a key to the eldercharm-athon then you can actually gear up quite fast, consider this, you run all the heroics and get 470 ilvl, then you manage to get lucky and get 480 from a couple of drops and now that conquest has a massive weekly cap, you can gear for ToT LFR in one week if you put your mind to it.

even if you cap valor and conquest you can still get lucky from dailys and earn a couple more bonus rolls, with 10 elder charms your basically guaranteed to get at least 1 item from bonus rolls.

there really is an element of luck to it though it depends on if you get a key on the isle to the treasure run, which if you loot every chest you can before the time runs out easily nets you over 10 charms with some luck, but some ppl can and have found 2 keys in one week, ive not been that lucky yet but if you are, then your looking at a potential 10-20 bonus rolls and perhaps 3 or 4 extra items, after your already saved to the raids.

my bro and I only recently came back after an 8 month break and steam rolled to 90, (priest and war combo is epic win, we fire the LFD everytime we join it) last week just as it was getting toward the reset i was ilvl 479 after running a couple BG's and buying a couple ilvl 496's out the AH i was able to get into ToT in the same week i was 85 so there we go. it can be done.
    Thanks for the quick reply. Not pleased it all depends on my luck for a drop lol.

it does and it doesn't i mean you CAN actually get enough ilvl for ToT lfr entirely through honor and conquest gear, but yes in some ways you will need a couple of peices of gear from HoF and ToEs. or at least a few thousand gold spare to buy a 1 or 2 boe ilvl 496s

Also keep in mind that there is the new area in the Barrens and if you convert the gear its Ilevel 489.

I did the same, levelled a monk in a hurry, I think I have about 4-5 days /played at 90 and I'm at 514 currently. The day I hit 90 (sometime 3-4 weeks ago), I blew about 10-15k gold on BoEs to get into LFR, got lucky with some drops and managed to get to 480 and run ToT LFR the week I hit 90. Since then I've been running LFR religiously, valor capping to buy the 522 items, and I've been pretty lucky with drops in normal mode with my guild as well (still only 3/12 with council only down this week). Also have 3 items from Nalak/Oondasta.

Tips: buy 496 crafted BoE gloves and chest, they're cheap as chips now. Do your heroic scenario quest for guaranteed 516 item. Try find a guild that still does alt runs in T14 if you're not already in one, or even a pug. Kill Nalak and Oondasta every week for easy pug chances at 522 loots.

While it's definitely possible to gear up fast, it does require a bit of luck. On my shammy alt, at one point I had one drop in LFR from 30 chances. RNG is RNG.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you shoot for 20 elder charms (or close) in your troves of the thunder king scenario, it's pretty fast getting @ 485 ilvl.

I'd shoot for Isle of Thunder ASAP, doing the troves of the thunder king solo-scenario once / week and get as many elder charms as you can. You can coin every boss in LFR and I'd also suggest getting in some openraid pug 5.1 raids and coining those too. Don't forget getting 458 / 476 / 496 PvP items as needed, they can be great for filling gaps.

I was able to get 490ilvl in about 2-3 days after 90 on my priest, after you get past the overpowered elder coins part, the RNG begins. Make sure you're using 3 Mogu Runes / Week for a higher chance of getting stuff and running sha/gal/nalak/oondasta each week of course.

Good Luck! Don't forget to get started on Legendary chain ASAP
    Last edited by Bombino; 2013-05-23 at 11:20 PM.

In the same boat as you leveled my warrior, shaman and druid. Not happy with warrior now looking to level a mage.