Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Hardcore gamer new to WoW and the forums, asking for pro tips

Hello everyone,

My online alias is Digital Tetsuo and, having not seen or possibly noticing an intro thread, wish to introduce myself. I am considered by many who know me and also self-identify as a nerd and hardcore gamer. I used to play console games,but got tired of always burning through content (I even tried Defiance on xbox but ended up being one of the highest level and having nothing else to do-with most legendary weapons,all missions and side missions done,and dynamic missions done many times over), so I decided to buy a PC and get into WoW.

Well, this game is amazing and I find myself pretty much addicted. So far I have been trying to find the class and race that I can get into, and after a lvl 24 human paladin and lvl 20 worgen rogue, I have decided to go with an assassination rogue troll (I find myself liking horde more than the alliance as it seems more active and the scene is better).

I intend on being one of the best on my server eventually and would like to receive input as far as tips and advice for maximizing dps, properly interacting with other players (etiquette, culture, roles, etc), and overall tips that will help me reach my goal. I am a disabled schizophrenic so I have ALOT of time on my hands so I don't mind putting in alot of time and effort, so any more involved tips are also welcome.

Thanks in advance and I hope to be able to contribute to the forum and game in a positive way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Welcome to the game/forums. If you have specific class questions in the future, the class forums here are the place to ask:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/forums/2...ss-Discussions

And of course the official Blizz forums.

You will love the game. You will hate what it will do to you, though. I don't think that makes any sense right now, but it will. It will be an AWESOME experience, no matter the consequences. I still find myself wanting to play it, but I need to be focused on other things right now. I will definitely return one day. Have fun and good luck.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would recommend the following to do list.

Do a dungeon through LFD each time you learn a new ability, test that ability. Download Recount or Skada to track your damage output, you can find wow addons at curse(dot)com.

Run every Battleground until you win it once, just to see what pvp looks like in various environments.

Choose professions that compliment each other early, maintain them as you level up.

Don't rush through zones, clear them fully and choose different zones with each character you level.

Always remember to be humble, even the greatest heroes should be aware that it's ok to ask for help.
    Naftc, "Hunters are the cheapest class in game and when played right are more deadly than a train plowing through a field of bunnies covered in napalm"

Deleted
    There are two different aspects of WoW. PVE (Player vs Environment) and PVP. (Player vs Player) Since I don't know much about PVP, I'll tell you how to get started with PVE (If that's what you're interested in)

www.Noxic.com - start to learn your spec in more detail here, it's a fairly easy guide that will teach you how to play effectively, however once you hit 90 and get more experiance with the game, you should read up on websites such as Elitest jerks, icy veins etc, and learn how to simcraft and use/analyze World of Logs effectively.

Being good at playing WoW isn't just about hitting high numbers, it's also has a lot to do with positioning, execution of tactics and strategy, mathematics and outside of the box thinking.

Goodluck!

First off as Golden said, welcome to the game/forums.

For class, don't afraid to experiment. I enjoy a lot of the classes in the game, and some of them I thought I never would until I tried them. I started out with a hunter, and ended up having my main as a death knight now (switching from ranged to melee is strange I still remember that).

Being the best on your server probably won't happen, as it's very hard in this game to measure skill. Yes you can pull off great numbers, but will you die every fight? You could survive every fight, but are you contributing to the survival of the raid or just tossing them under the bridge? There is never a single person on a server whom is best on the server, at least with PvE (and even PvP). The raid group could be, but not a single person, as no person in a raid or guild is more important than that of the person next to them. You all share equal importance in getting to your goal and achieving it. Ranks or roll mean nothing, as if you take out a person regardless of roll you are still missing someone whom was contributing to the end goal you all shared.

For dpsing, it really will come down to you how well you can perform. You can look up all the "correct" stat prioreties, rotation, CD usage, ect. but you won't be able to do your best until you are really comfortable with what you are doing. The more you dps, the better you get. It's not just a matter of gear, but a matter of being able to without thought pull of a rotation while adapting to what is happening around you, and making sure what you do does not negatively affect the raid. It's more complex then I can put into words, and also simpler then I am making it sound. To start though, make it to 90 and then look up some rogue sites on dps and such.
    Edit-
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuel View Post
    Being good at playing WoW isn't just about hitting high numbers, it's also has a lot to do with positioning, execution of tactics and strategy, mathematics and outside of the box thinking.
    This helps sum it up a bit, experienced raiders simplify this greatly but there is actually a lot of math, strategy, and thought into each fight and how you and your class/spec can best capitalize on it.

http://elitistjerks.com/f78/ That will bring you to the Elitist Jerks page for rogue's, and you can take a look at all three specs on what they have to say. Remember however that you can look at other sites and might get conflicting information. Knowing your spec and making it your own will do you better then relying on a site.

Etiquette, just be kind! It may sound like I am beating a dead horse here, but you never know whom you might be talking to behind that character. It could be someone whom is very easily offended by something you might consider just common talk, or it could be someone whom comes off as rude yet is actually just trying to make nice. The way I go about it usually is to approach them the way you would someone you are getting interviewed by. Be nice, don't be overintruding with what you ask, be willing to help and if you need help ask in a kind way. Just in general, be kind. You will receive a nice reaction back 99% of the time and can make friends easily this way. Finding a guild will help you with this as well:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/1011639/
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/forums/2...ent-US-Servers

Roles, the only word I have on this would be pertaining to when you are in a guild. Just help out guildies, show up to the raids you say you will, do your best, and that's all you really can do. If you show the interest that you want to raid and want to bring down bosses for the guild the higher ups will see it (I have been leader/officer of a few guilds and I always noticed when people went out of their way to help out, and it was always appreciated)

I hope this helps a bit! I am not familiar with rogue's in the slightest otherwise I would help more with that, but I do hope you enjoy the game and postings here on MMO!

Thank you everyone and I will take your advice (and visit these sites). Im already becoming very invested in this game and if server best isnt a viable goal, then I will just go for being a viable asset to the guild/group i'm in.

Deleted
    Sent you a PM, I'd gladly help you out a bit

pick the right server , pve or pvp but high population

Quote Originally Posted by MAXCAVALERA View Post
    pick the right server , pve or pvp but high population
    You don't need to be in a high pop realm to have fun, mine is on the lower end of medium pop and it still have a great community/group of players

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Tetsuo View Post
    Thank you everyone and I will take your advice (and visit these sites). Im already becoming very invested in this game and if server best isnt a viable goal, then I will just go for being a viable asset to the guild/group i'm in.
    That would be the best goal to go for ^^ I don't measure those whom I raid with in terms of how much dps/hps they can do. I think they are valuable if they are generally helping the raid/guild, as it's tough to run a guild and even with not being the GM of the current one im in I always like to help

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Tetsuo View Post
    Great to see you're ready to put so much effort in the game. But try to keep the fun in the game aswell.

I wish you a lot of luck in the game, and always ask when you're in trouble.

Deleted
    While you are still learning to play, there are a few habits you need to get into:

Keybind everything you would use in combat (don't be a clicker).
    Bind A and D to become strafe left and right (or S and F if you're going for ESDF instead of WASD); use your mouse to turn.
    Use Q and E for keybinding skills (or W and R if you're going for ESDF).

Get recount so you know exactly what you're doing.

Play horde. Thats all i can tell you. Im an alliance and im telling you. Play horde.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxweii View Post
    You don't need to be in a high pop realm to have fun, mine is on the lower end of medium pop and it still have a great community/group of players
    Starting on a lower population server can greatly gimp your chances to do a lot of things in the game. Most of the ppl that I know or see on here that enjoy their low population realms have been on them for a long time so the effects of a small community don't hit them the same way.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Claeshj View Post
    Sent you a PM, I'd gladly help you out a bit
    thank you! I actually cant find where to add your tag....where is the social tab?

and thank you all for your advice. I tend to take video games i like very seriously, and WoW might soon be listed as my favorite. I love large and involving games with a touch of complexity. This is mainly why i left consoles, they just dont offer enough content and challenge and progression to satisfy me. WoW on the other hand is a game ive heard many people say they played hardcore for years. The draw for me regarding that is extreme.

Pick a hybrid class - going pure DPS can get boring VERY fast, and you never know what role you will want/need to do.

Paladins, Druids, monks or shamans are a good pick for a first timer, lets you experience a lot of content from a lot of different angles (tank, healer, melee dps, ranged dps).

Pick money making professions - namely Herbalism and Mining. Or if you are going a cloth-class go Tailoring/Enchanting, a bit harder but Enchanting/Disenchanting is worth it.

Most important: CHOSE THE BIGGEST SERVER YOU CAN FIND!!!!
    I can not stress how important this is - a lot of issues people complain comes from underpopulated or unbalanced faction servers.
    Full servers are awesome and lively and lots of community and happenings.
    Also pick a PvE server (or RPPvE) unless you don't want to get killed by enemy faction's lvl90s when you are a defenseless leveler.

You seem like someone with high aspirations so I'll tell you this...don't get discouraged if you don't find yourself clearing as much content as you like or pushing progression/realm ranks as high as you would like. Nobody starts out in a realm first quality guild. You will very very likely go through guilds you very well may be better than, but you must always keep a friendly and mature attitude if you want to be taken seriously. Pretty much any high quality raiding guild is going to want to see your experience and attitude before they'll let you in. Show confidence and reliability, as this is a team game for the most part. People skills will get you a long way.

its 512am and im still playing lol. The advice i got from you all and from the websites you mentioned made me better,which makes me want to play more as im progressing faster and starting to get my bearings. Doing dungeons really helps get loot and lvl up way quicker than quests (in fact I may have overdid it as the quests i have available are lower in lvl difficulty than i am lol). I joined a guild called Psychopaths and unlike some other guilds i played with, they are a very large and active guild (900+ memebers with a minimum of 50 people playing, the guild rule is if you don't log on within 4 days youre kicked out to make room for all the people who try to join and are recruited-according to many members its one of the top horde guilds on the server (Cenarius) and judging by the fact that they are really helpful and do alot of things together (and the fact that guild memebers are EVERYWHERE) i'm inclined to believe its true.

I can tell this game is going to be a favorite of mine for a long long time. I love games that have elements that take alot of time and effort so i think ill stick with this until something makes me not want to play,whenever or whatever thatll be.

Deleted
    There are a bunch of usefull addons. I highly recommend checking out curse.com for some.
    Addons that are helpfull:
    -MapCoords (if you use Wowhead or WoWDB, alot of people there will tell you where to go by coordinates.)
    -Recount/Skada (it displays your current and your party/raid members DPS, total damage done, dispells, healing done, interrupts etc.)
    -NPCScan or similar addon (Lets you know when there is a Rare mob around)
    -Auctionator or similar addon (Very easy to use Auction House addon)
    -TellMeWhen/NeedToKnow/etc (An addon that can track DoTs (Damage over Time), stacks, cooldowns etc)
    -DeadlyBossMod/BigWigs (An addon that tells you stuff during boss fights. Like "Move, you are standing in bad stuff", "Beepboopattack in 4 seconds", "This will happen in 10 seconds" etc)

All of these addons will not alter your standard Blizzard UI. Mostly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Since icyveins and elitistjerks have already been recommended as sites, I'll recommend another addon. OmniCC. It's a very simple addon but I find it really useful. When you use an ability a number will show up on the icon, letting you know when you can use that ability again. When there's only a few seconds left it will count down in red so it's easy to spot when you can press it again. You can also use the site askmrrobot.com, it helps you find new upgrades and lets you know how to gem and reforge your gear for 100% optimization.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt