Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Patch 5.3 Dev Interview, Blue Posts, Blue Tweets, Fan Art Creation

TryHard 1.0.8 Monk Guide, Blue Posts, Diablo 3 Anniversary Art

Keywords and Card Relations

Patch 5.3 Dev Interview
    Today we are taking a look at an interview over on WoWInsider with Ghostcrawler.

Future
    • The unannounced feature is on schedule for patch 5.4.
    • The new event in the Barrens is an experiment and another way to get players back out into the world, which we will see more of in Patch 5.4.
    • Appearing offline on Battle.net is still in the works.
    • Eventually all of the professions will have some sort of catch up mechanism.
    • The game could use some sort of reward for leveling now that the new talent system doesn't provide a talent point as often.

Dungeons and Raids
    • 25 player raiding feels more epic than 10 player raiding, as well as allowing you to bring in friends or newer players without as big of an impact on the raid.
    • 25 player raids can fall back to a 10 player raid size if they begin to fall apart, while 10 player raids will just disband if they start losing people.
    • Back during Molten Core there wasn't much going on in raids, making fights simpler and character optimization wasn't as big as it is now. Now fights have more mechanics to go with the new tools and more sophisticated players.
    • LFR has to make some of the mechanics more forgiving, otherwise most groups would not be able to progress or the failures would fall onto the backs of the healers. Reducing player damage through debuffs from standing in the fire can be done to punish players, rather than applying damage to them and punishing the healers.

Dungeons
    • Raids have a longer lifespan than dungeons because you can only run them once per week. Dungeons can be run multiple times per day, so players get tired of them much faster.
    • The team is growing to the point where in the future it may be possible to offer both a nice raid like Throne of Thunder and a dungeon or two in the same patch.
    • Players generally expect new architecture, art, and mechanics in dungeons, which makes them much more time consuming to create than scenarios.

Patch 5.3 Changes
    • The XP requirement reduction in Patch 5.3 was done to make alt leveling faster, as it felt like it slowed down when you hit Jade Forest.
    • Losing battlegrounds or arenas repeatedly to get gear so that you could be competitive in PvP wasn't fun.

Misc
    • Adding caps to things like Valor Points or Charms is a challenge, because you have to strike a balance between stopping people from playing ridiculous amounts to earn them and other players that would never be able to compete. Players see a cap and feel that it is mandatory to reach it, even though that is not what was intended. WoW is a game, not a job, so players should not have to feel like they have to be constantly playing to stay competitive.
    • Patch 5.3 isn't expected to increase subscriber levels very much, as that is generally what expansions and larger patches do.

Blue Posts
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    PvE Gear in PvP
    So yes, we do feel that PvP gear should be the best for PvP, but we don't mind some cross-over as long as it doesn't break the experience of the game. With some rather loose mathematics it has been shown in this thread how some tier 15/14 set bonuses can offer varying damage min/maxing options for PvP, however as Brian points out, that is not the only thing that you need for PvP. These differing options for gearing aren't really a bad thing as they offer additional gear options and play styles that are in no way a clearly better, or an upgrade for PvP. The reason that they are not clearly better or an upgrade is because of the bonus resilience/PvP power prvoided by them and also the reasons listed by Brian.

Do understand though that we are listening to your feedback and keeping an eye out for any gear that we feel may need tweaking. If we find some PvE gear that is clearly outperforming PvP gear in instanced PvP, we will investigate it and take action if it's deemed necessary.

40s less CD on Dark Soul vs 10% more Damage (that also comes with the T14) .... yeah, no competition between T14 and PvP Set bonus.
    You are ignoring the other bonuses that come from using the PvP set and just focusing on the "Changes x skill in y way." descriptions. You also lose out on almost 7.5% passive damage increase through PvP power, which is pretty big and the Twilight Ward change from the 2-piece PvP gear is pretty powerful survivability bonus as well. (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

Casting While Moving
    Its fun being part of that 10% not being able to cast while moving.
    I might be wrong here but I got the impression from last time I checked top rated teams, that there was a very high representation of shadow priests in 3v3. Even though this was before the nerf to Void Shift, so we’ll see how things go from here.
    What I meant to say is if SP representation was already high in s13 without them being able to run and cast at the same time, it would probably have been op if they could. Plus you have quite a few instant damage dealing abilities, shields, heals and CC. (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

Heroic Scenario Loot
    The developers didn't want these items (Heroic Scenario item level 516 loot) to be best in slot. They would like to see them replaced by more powerful items (even if those items are of the same ilevel).

Yeah it's quite silly that none of the scenario items have any sockets, Especially the helm.
    These items have random enchantments, and there are some technical limitations to have random stats plus sockets on them. The developers definitely agree that the helms might be particularly unattractive without a meta socket. (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

Blue Tweets
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Classes
    Since no talent system overhaul, any word on LOWERING the amount of buttons next cycle? How about more glyphs in lieu of...?
    Would love to prune more buttons. It will cause many tears though if old favorites go away. (Source)

Plans to fix feral gear scaling? We always start strong early expansion and tapered off. SR buff in 5.3 is a bandaid at best.
    We typically only worry about gear scaling if you tie at the start and then fall 5 to 10% behind at the end of a tier. (Source)
    It was a bigger problem say in BC where coefficients wouldn't get touched for many patches. These days we reevaluate every tier. (Source)

Thoughts on tank swap mechanics? Nef/Morchok H was fun, taunting after every x debuffs on nearly every boss is not.
    Really tough to solve. Tanks told us they didn't like the cleave soaking (Lan'athel) either, yet not every fight is gonna have adds. (Source)

Its not fully representative but, queue's seem to indicate the proportion of tanks/healers to dps isn't great.
    I think it is also more likely for tanks or healers to have groups of friends since they are designed to work as part of a group. (Source)
    By which I mean tanks and healers have less need for random matchmaking. (Source)

The new talent design actually sucks. Dont know a single person that likes it personally.
    That surprises me. While it's not universal praise of course, the overwhelming majority of feedback is positive. (Source)

Why so much focus on making every hybrid spec viable for PVP AND PVE, while not the same for pures? I dream of SV PVP/MM PVE!
    Every spec is the ideal, but we focus a lot on roles too. A mage probably minds changing spec less than a Shadow priest does. (Source)

Death Knight (Forums / Skills / Talent Calculator)
    and there were other avenues available to tone down festerblight, such as tweaking Ebon Plaguebringer.
    The UM change wasn't for Festerblight. We think Tricks fixed that. It was because Unholy DPS was higher than we wanted it. (Source)
    Or more specifically, the UM originally was for FB. Then we reverted it. Then we added it back for a different reason. (Source)

Hunter (Forums / Skills / Talent Calculator)
    Are you satisfied with the mobility hunters have since 5.1, or do you see either Fox or Sniper Training coming back?
    No immediate plans for either. (Source)

How is Stampede NOT a flavor-fitting ability? I think hunters would rise up en-masse if Stampede disappeared.
    We added Stampede because, like Titan's Grip, players* asked for it for years. (* = Not every player of course.) (Source)

And Blink Strikes is already simming as a loss over Crows. You've already nerfed that tier into oblivion, please don't do more
    But in general we want passives to be lower DPS than actives since they ask much less of the player. (Source)

For a spec like MM that's behind enough to be 'bad,' wasn't mastery created for tuning to turn 5% delta into something closer?
    The passives were created for that. If we buff mastery it can make you stack or avoid that stat depending on how we do it. (Source)

Mage (Forums / Skills / Talent Calculator)
    burst is out of control had a fire mage frostjaw to a cs to dead which is just wrong. From full to dead. This is not balanced.
    About 5 posts above someone says Fire is not longer viable. Can you guys work it out and report back to me? (Source)

Greg, something is wrong with Evocation. 10% of the times the whole Evo still won't get the buff. Can you check it?
    Yes, there is something wrong with Evo not giving its buff consistently. It's not a simple fix but we are working on it. (Source)

Priest (Forums / Skills / Talent Calculator)
    Why are Holy Chakras not considered a stance?
    In what sense? With different action bars? We have discussed that implementation. Better / worse? (Source)

spriests, I can see the void shift nerf fine. the mass dispel is just too much, cant you guys bake it in for shadow as well?
    The point was to nerf Shadow. Their damage, survivability and utility are all high. Hard for other specs to compete (PvP). (Source)

Re: Disc Borrowed Time change: Nerfs are ok, but why remove a fun mechanic that allows good players to set themselves apart?
    If it was just a tough thing to do that rewarded skillful play, that would be fine, but it was like a secret trick you had to know. (Source)

why was voidshift removed from PvP? Good spell with a very long cooldown. I don't see the issue considering some better ...
    It's not about the ability - it's the package. Shadow had great damage, survivability and utility in PvP. (Source)

I still don't understand how VE has a target cap at all. I thought it just converted DPS to HPS and split it amongst the raid
    If it had no target cap, the healing per player would be so small that you wouldn't notice it or so large that it would be OP. (Source)

Shaman (Forums / Skills / Talent Calculator)
    shaman enh damage seems to be where it should be now on ptr. we still have a glyph problem. couple of em should be baked in.
    It's really hard with glyphs to hit that sweet spot between "mandatory / should be baked in" and "don't care about." (Source)

resto shaman mastery is very useless, why is it still a thing?!?
    Uh... in what venue? It's a pretty good mastery.... (Source)

Warlock (Forums / Skills / Talent Calculator)
    GC Warlocks are more than capable of tanking MoP heroics now, any chance warlocks will be to Queue as a tank?
    No. They aren't a tank spec. If you want to tank with your friends, go for it. (Source)

Warrior (Forums / Skills / Talent Calculator)
    Warrior is the only class that cannot get below 1,5 sec global cooldown. It hurts a lot when you log back from alts
    Our main concern there is historically warriors are very sensitive to empty GCDs. At times you could even +HS off the GCD. (Source)
    Going to a 1 sec GCD for warriors might elicit feedback that their rotation is too slow and they need more abilities to use. (Source)
    Youre too concerned about too much rage. My hunter is drowning in Energy. Encourage rage pooling instead & adjust dmg
    Rage pooling is cool. Treating the class as GCD limited and ignoring the resource completely is not. (Source)

Fan Art Creation
    We often post different WoW fan art, but this time we are taking a look at how a nice piece of fan art was created.

Last edited by chaud; 2013-05-28 at 11:37 AM.

The new feature could be scalable dungeons. That would awesome for old content

Quote Originally Posted by moveth View Post
    Only if you can turn it off. I like to solo old dungeons/raids, not do them with scaled back gear and level to make it 'challenging' or something.

Deleted
    as long as there are rewards attached, the scalable dungeons would be a good idea.

15+ Year Old Account
    only question I would have with scalable dungeons is how would loot work?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    25 player raiding feels more epic than 10 player raiding, as well as allowing you to bring in friends or newer players without as big of an impact on the raid.

Did we just have a dev admitting that 25man raiding is more forgiving than 10man. Something most of us have known for ages but the the 25man fan base has been unable to admit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eiffeltower View Post
    as long as there are rewards attached, the scalable dungeons would be a good idea.
    you know it has be cosmetic or people will feel entitled to do them.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

Quote Originally Posted by moveth View Post
    That is one of my favorite things about LOTRO that I would love to see in WoW. You can adjust for the number of players and by doing so change the difficulty -- ie set it to 5 players when you have 3.

It would be easy to scale the amount of Valor/Justice/Gold you get this way, items might be a bit trickier.
    No surrender! 70 Vanguard - The Star Forge

Scalable dungeons: Cool in concept, but unless it is providing current-level gear, it will be seen as a "waste of time" and "re-hashing old content instead of making new stuff" by the majority of the community. Personally, unless it provided current-level (even LFR-level) rewards, I wouldn't bother. I go to old raids/dungeons hunting for transmog gear or achievements. This would be another "something to do" in a world where we really do got a bloody ton of content to do, even if you don't do dailies.

Do you scale the players down, or scale the dungeon up? Scaling it up won't work really, given the ilevel jump from expansion to expansion, not to mention, fight mechanics of those old instances and raids are ridiculously simple compared to late-WotLK and up to current. Every MC/BWL/AQ40 boss had what... 1-2 mechanics going on, tops? Not to mention, if you scale it up, how do you justify dedicating the people that handle boss mechanics to that secondary task, when 5.4 also has an entire new raid to design, balance, and bug test too? Scaling players down, they might run it once, and never again if it isn't rewarding enough to warrant doing.

This would be a "in the future" feature, not for 5.4. Maybe 6.0?
    Last edited by ZeroEdgeir; 2013-05-28 at 12:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldstrong View Post
    Did we just have a dev admitting that 25man raiding is more forgiving than 10man. Something most of us have known for ages but the the 25man fan base has been unable to admit.
    Well think about, 25 man raiding has 3 B-Rez's, 10 man raiding has 1 thats prbly were there going with this. Ya 25 man for sure feels more epic, but 10 isn't as forgiving as if 2 important people die its game over, but in 25 man 2 people die, get them up and you got 1 B-Rez left still. but thats doesn't say either one is more difficult than the other, it just says in certain situtations 1 of the raid sizes doesn't have to worry about that burden and its more forgiving during normal progression. Herioc Progression than its a whole different story.
    Last edited by Arbs; 2013-05-28 at 12:13 PM.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

Yes, it is.
    On normal.
    Updating my signature from my WoD characters.

Yikes.

Probably better than you, probably also a casual these days. Go on, keep being elitist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Every time i watch someone else draw it makes me sad i can't. For as long as i could remember i have wanted to draw but could never get the hang of it. Even got professional classes and still suck. Guess its not for me.

I like the idea of punishing the player standing in the fire and not the healer, dropping their DPS and such sounds great. Healers don't have the unlimited mana pools many dps have and what better way to call out "your standing in fire" than for raid leaders to see your DPS dive.

I don't know why they complicate stuff, if you stand in poop - insta death. Only that way will people learn.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroWashu View Post
    I like the idea of punishing the player standing in the fire and not the healer, dropping their DPS and such sounds great. Healers don't have the unlimited mana pools many dps have and what better way to call out "your standing in fire" than for raid leaders to see your DPS dive.
    Healers will just still end up having to heal more because the boss will just take longer to die. There is no fix for lazy or bad gameplay. We just have to suck it up and carry them.
    Aye mate

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    Healers will just still end up having to heal more because the boss will just take longer to die. There is no fix for lazy or bad gameplay. We just have to suck it up and carry them.
    Maybe they get no heals, you stand in fire they deserve to die.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxyra View Post
    Yes, it is.
    On normal.
    Even on normal, there is a problem when all the boss areas can easily acomodate 10 players, but not 25, and you have mechanics where spreading out or not is what wipes the raid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Scalable dungeons for sure, it would not be the best thing to at 90 but while leveling it would be awesome if all the dungeons could scale to your level.

New Lich King wallpaper? Why thank you YES.

No. Their comment was about the impact of a single player in a 25man versus 10man. Simple math. 1 player in a 10man has 10% of the responsibility. 1 player in a 25man has 4% of the responsibility. They said *nothing* about the relative difficulty which varies from raid to raid and boss to boss.