10+ Year Old Account

Digital Sales Chart

Stumbled across this today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/22715154

Guess this happened a couple of days ago. After I stopped laughing, I realized they were actually trying to be serious, so I started looking for actual numbers. But I'm not seeing any. Does anyone have a link to the actual numbers? Seems odd that this ukie wants devs and pubs to hand over numbers, but then doesn't actually post them. Smells rather fishy to me.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

It doesn't say where they pulled those numbers from...if they are going to have a digital sales chart (which I'd be very interested in), they need to establish their actual sources first. We really need a digital equivalent for what the NPD Group does for retail.

And I agree, I'd definitely like hard sales numbers rather than simple rankings.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would love to see actual digital sales figures too. Instead? They call for other pubs and devs to contribute but then produce some ridiculously silly looking 1-10 scale charts in a pdf?

Now I'm not saying SimCity couldn't have outsold Bioshock Infinite, in March. SimCity came out on March 5th, after all, and Bioshock Infinite didn't come out until March 26th. However, if you are asking other people to give you the data? Then you sure as shit better share the actual data.

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    I would love to see actual digital sales figures too. Instead? They call for other pubs and devs to contribute but then produce some ridiculously silly looking 1-10 scale charts in a pdf?

Now I'm not saying SimCity couldn't have outsold Bioshock Infinite, in March. SimCity came out on March 5th, after all, and Bioshock Infinite didn't come out until March 26th. However, if you are asking other people to give you the data? Then you sure as shit better share the actual data.
    And share the sources. If that doesn't include Steam, for example, then they're going to have extremely skewed data. Same if it doesn't include Amazon. From what it looks like, they have Origin, Uplay and maybe a few of the medium sized players. That's hardly a chart that I'd look to for any kind of meaningful data.

Valve doesn't share it's sales data so it's definately missing them.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Valve doesn't share it's sales data so it's definately missing them.
    Then how would ukie have any digital sales data on Infinite? Is Steam giving the numbers to 2K and then 2K gives them to ukie? Anyone else get the feeling that ukie is trying a "money for nothing" scheme? Where they get the data for free but put the hard numbers behind some sort of pay wall?

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Then how would ukie have any digital sales data on Infinite? Is Steam giving the numbers to 2K and then 2K gives them to ukie? Anyone else get the feeling that ukie is trying a "money for nothing" scheme? Where they get the data for free but put the hard numbers behind some sort of pay wall?
    I believe company behind the game has right to release their sales data if they want to, it's just that Valve won't do that.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    It doesn't say where they pulled those numbers from...if they are going to have a digital sales chart (which I'd be very interested in), they need to establish their actual sources first. We really need a digital equivalent for what the NPD Group does for retail.

And I agree, I'd definitely like hard sales numbers rather than simple rankings.
    I suspect this is from some dead hardcopy cd/dvd store. like free record shop or such.