Deleted

Best mage dps spec?

I'm returning when rift goes free to play on the 12th. I haven't really played rift since the end of HK and I mained a mage.

What spec is the best dps spec currently? I don't want to play faceroll healer again it's just too boring and I think rogue dps spec will be ranged which I hate so I have to go mage.

SO yeah, what's currently the spec everyone uses in raids?

Pyro seems to be the top parser atm from what I've seen.

Pyro for mage

rogue is assassin if you can get behind the target and MM for range

Cleric is shaman

Warrior - nobody cares :P

Deleted
    Oh good i love pyro. I was worried it would be harbinger.

Quote Originally Posted by pulchritudinous View Post
    Oh good i love pyro. I was worried it would be harbinger.
    I love harb and i think it would be awesome to have it as top DPS

Warlock is best DPS spec in BiS gear.

For DPS Mages should carry 2 specs, 61 Pyromancer/10 Archon/5 Harbinger and 61 Warlock/8 Pyromancer/7 Necromancer.
    Warlock is used for any fight where you can maintain DoTs on multiple targets. Pyromancer is used for Single Target fights or those with large amounts of movement that prevent Warlock form performing well.

For most encounters Pyromancer is the better option, of the 17 current raid encounters I use Pyromancer on 11, Warlock on 5 and Harbinger on 1 (in which I chain stun adds.)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakash View Post
    I love harb and i think it would be awesome to have it as top DPS

no thank you, leave the melee to the rogues and warriors k thanks.

Ever heard of opinions? No? Thought so.

Harb seems like a lot of fun. Pyromancer is meh, and Warlock is ok. But that is NOT top dps I mean, more of an "how much I like to play em"

Then we should leave healing and support to the Clerics too. And Tanking to the Warriors. Diversity in playstyles? Who the fuck wants that!? Except quite obviously a lot of people.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

I'm okay with leaving tanking to the Warriors.

Just sorta, saying is all...

My thinking with the harbinger and the 3 melee souls for Cleric (druid, shaman, justicar): If I wanted to play melee, I would play a warrior or rogue. That's for dps, which I know the justicar is tank. I just wish the cleric had another pet soul, same with the rogue, as I really really hate that damn pig, and would like a ranged soul with a pet for cleric. Either that, or get rid of the starting pets maxing out at around level 30, and make them change to the greater version once you reach level 30 or so, so I can have druid but not have to put points into it trying to find talents that buff something other then melee abilities.

But anyway, back on topic: Used to be pyro/sc for aoe, and pyro for single. I see pyro is still top for single. Makes me sad that a dot soul is top for aoe, as I absolutely dislike dots (which is funny, because I switched to warlock from paladin in wow). While not a big fan of pyro, it isn't that boring to play, for me. Of course, I like the elementalist with chloro best, mainly for leveling/farming. I never die, though spamming vile spores doesn't really bring the creatures down very fast. But I prefer combos that will let me survive better compared to damage more. But, the group content is another thing, as I try to do more damage.

What's wrong with being a melee spellcaster? Enhancement Shaman in WarCraft can unleash elemental forces on people inbetween swings and it's a really cool thing to be that hybrid. Why is that such a hard thing for a Mage soul to do here, and everyone has to be all uppity about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    What's wrong with being a melee spellcaster? Enhancement Shaman in WarCraft can unleash elemental forces on people inbetween swings and it's a really cool thing to be that hybrid. Why is that such a hard thing for a Mage soul to do here, and everyone has to be all uppity about it?
    It's my playstyle. Every shaman in wow I made was resto and/or elemental. Never played a feral druid. If the class can cast spells, that's the spec I would go with. It's the same in Rift. I tried out the harbinger last month when I got SL for free from Raptr. Immediately went back to the casting souls as I just couldn't stand it. I don't mind justicar for cleric, but I hate the other melee souls, and that's why druid pisses me off as I like having a pet when leveling, but the only cleric soul with a pet is a damn melee-centric soul. Don't get me wrong, I think it's pretty cool having the harbinger for mage, for those who want to melee with the mage (which I will never understand, but that's just me). And I would have no problem if it was the highest dps spec for mages, until I would be forced to play it, which I wouldn't find fun at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    It's my playstyle. Every shaman in wow I made was resto and/or elemental. Never played a feral druid. If the class can cast spells, that's the spec I would go with. It's the same in Rift. I tried out the harbinger last month when I got SL for free from Raptr. Immediately went back to the casting souls as I just couldn't stand it. I don't mind justicar for cleric, but I hate the other melee souls, and that's why druid pisses me off as I like having a pet when leveling, but the only cleric soul with a pet is a damn melee-centric soul. Don't get me wrong, I think it's pretty cool having the harbinger for mage, for those who want to melee with the mage (which I will never understand, but that's just me). And I would have no problem if it was the highest dps spec for mages, until I would be forced to play it, which I wouldn't find fun at all.
    This is a very very fair point. "It doesn't suit my playstyle" is extremely subjective and valid criticism. I couldn't handle playing a 21/40 Shadowbolt spammer in TBC. I friggin' hated it enough going ruin spec in Vanilla, why would I push myself through that (went the other way and made a Holy Priest, go figure)? I loved sword mesmers, but I just couldn't touch elementalists at all in any weapon set up in Guild Wars 2 because it just wasn't my playstyle.

So I get the whole "it's not my playstyle and I don't like it" thing (really). I'm just really sick and tired of seeing "leave the melee to the Warrior/Rogue" stuff Sorry because I know this isn't necessarily you.

Any of you rift pros got a link to that what to take in that pyro spec? I just came back to rift and I am having trouble finding builds.

http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zczNdV0xvesfIuusksgqfkvV

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...0-revised.html

Tells you all you need to know. Ignore the comments saying the macro doesn't work. The spec works very well.

I find this guide to be a bit better: http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...rst-guide.html

Berzz is pretty well known in the mage community for being a good player and his spec ekes out Doja's because of Pillaging Stone.

Pyro Build

All that said, I don't like to play Pyro so I usually stick to Warlock.