Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    Jogging for 30 minutes burns what? Maybe 300 calories, which is a fraction of what your metabolism does just by keeping your alive (1500-2000 cals a day). So don't expect to get cut from jogging twice a week.

If you want to lose fat, work out, use your muscles and PUSH yourself. I've seen people hitting the gym for 1-2 years and they look the same, because when they are there they do slow cardio and then they lift weights that are too light and with too many pauses.
    YOU NEED TO SWEAT.

Deleted
    Do you also pay attention to the carbs you're eating? What's lower in calories could still be high in carbs.
    If you want to lose weight fast you could always go on a ketogenic diet it's great for losing fat.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pucGG View Post
    Jogging for 30 minutes burns what? Maybe 300 calories, which is a fraction of what your metabolism does just by keeping your alive (1500-2000 cals a day). So don't expect to get cut from jogging twice a week.

If you want to lose fat, work out, use your muscles and PUSH yourself. I've seen people hitting the gym for 1-2 years and they look the same, because when they are there they do slow cardio and then they lift weights that are too light and with too many pauses.
    YOU NEED TO SWEAT.
    This,

the amount of girls that go to my gym, that don't really need to go to the gym as they weigh fuck all anyway and all they do is walk on the treadmill for half an hour 3 times a week =/ seems rather pointless

SQUATS OR GTFO!

Deleted
    thats still three hours more a week they are not eating junk out of boredom

well, at least thats what you would expect. some time ago i met a thin and a bigger girl doing cardio at the gym. after they were done with the cardio both went doing their workout in different areas. right after the thinner girl left, the other one had a chocolate bar.
    Last edited by mmocaba1459261; 2013-06-11 at 03:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kipling View Post
    This,

the amount of girls that go to my gym, that don't really need to go to the gym as they weigh fuck all anyway and all they do is walk on the treadmill for half an hour 3 times a week =/ seems rather pointless

SQUATS OR GTFO!
    Exercise has benefits beyond just losing weight. It reduces stress. keeps the heart and circulation strong, boosts you overall energy, and can make you sleep better. And studies have also show that regular physical activity can lead to enhanced arousal for women.

This,

SQUATS OR GTFO!
    You go to the gym to look good and check out the hotties, not to work out. Duh :P

If you're at your target weight you don't really need to do much for maintenance, light cardio for heart health is sufficient. Should still be doing weight training though.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Exercise has benefits beyond just losing weight. It reduces stress. keeps the heart and circulation strong, boosts you overall energy, and can make you sleep better. And studies have also show that regular physical activity can lead to enhanced arousal for women.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    You go to the gym to look good and check out the hotties, not to work out. Duh :P

If you're at your target weight you don't really need to do much for maintenance, light cardio for heart health is sufficient. Should still be doing weight training though.
    I can appreciate other benefits, but paying a monthly fee to walk for an hour and a half a week seems a little OTT ;op

I can appreciate other benefits, but paying a monthly fee to walk for an hour and a half a week seems a little OTT ;op
    Agreed: Btu not in Norway.... Walking outside (8months of the year) is cold and dangerous. Hahahahahahaha, Remember the chunky ladies at the age of 50 who have desecrated their bones and stuff. Running would make them snap!

" A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities "

Lol. Tbh I hardly ever use the cardio machines at my gym anymore except for some elliptical when the weather is crappy, I prefer to run outside. Clears my head :P

Definitely use the weight machines, though. 3 days a week at min, serious workouts. Then steam room/sauna

Sure, that's pretty pointless. Keep in mind that just because you're seeing someone doing very light cardio on the treadmill doesn't mean they don't do more aggressive exercise when you're not looking. Right now, my girlfriend's recovering from an ankle injury (hurt it during a half marathon), and might walk on a treadmill at the gym after getting her weight work in. If you saw her, she'd fit that "skinny girl walking on a treadmill" look to a T.

---------- Post added 2013-06-12 at 10:01 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Lol. Tbh I hardly ever use the cardio machines at my gym anymore except for some elliptical when the weather is crappy, I prefer to run outside. Clears my head :P
    Agree completely. I hate treadmills and I always have. I can see spinning on a stationary bike if it's too damned cold to ride, maybe, but I'm usually going to do cardio outside or in a pool.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Sure, that's pretty pointless. Keep in mind that just because you're seeing someone doing very light cardio on the treadmill doesn't mean they don't do more aggressive exercise when you're not looking. Right now, my girlfriend's recovering from an ankle injury (hurt it during a half marathon), and might walk on a treadmill at the gym after getting her weight work in. If you saw her, she'd fit that "skinny girl walking on a treadmill" look to a T.

---------- Post added 2013-06-12 at 10:01 AM ----------

Agree completely. I hate treadmills and I always have. I can see spinning on a stationary bike if it's too damned cold to ride, maybe, but I'm usually going to do cardio outside or in a pool.
    I feel your girlfriend's pain. As a runner, not being able to run the way you want can be very depressing. I bet she wants to break into a run every time she's walking on the treadmill.

I feel your girlfriend's pain. As a runner, not being able to run the way you want can be very depressing. I bet she wants to break into a run every time she's walking on the treadmill.
    Yeah, we're both struggling a bit. We ran that half together, and both came out dinged up. She didn't feel anything during the race, but got gradually more stiff and sore after. My IT band locked and I was in excruciating pain... had to stop and walk the 12th mile and missed geting the time I want. Frustrating! My knees have been tolerating the bike just fine since, but I ran two miles the other day and I was sore from it. Driving me a little batty! I think she's going to pick up swimming a lot more until she's able to get back to running.

Before I started running distance, I couldn't have really understood this particular frustration...

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, we're both struggling a bit. We ran that half together, and both came out dinged up. She didn't feel anything during the race, but got gradually more stiff and sore after. My IT band locked and I was in excruciating pain... had to stop and walk the 12th mile and missed geting the time I want. Frustrating! My knees have been tolerating the bike just fine since, but I ran two miles the other day and I was sore from it. Driving me a little batty! I think she's going to pick up swimming a lot more until she's able to get back to running.

Before I started running distance, I couldn't have really understood this particular frustration...
    I love how the body works though, sprain an ankle during the race but with all the chemicals flowing through the body, you won't feel it until you stop lol I ended up finishing the NYC marathon two years ago with a small stress fracture in my foot, and didn't feel a thing until an hour after I finished.

I love how the body works though, sprain an ankle during the race but with all the chemicals flowing through the body, you won't feel it until you stop lol I ended up finishing the NYC marathon two years ago with a small stress fracture in my foot, and didn't feel a thing until an hour after I finished.
    Haha, wow! Yeah, it's really amazing the kind of injuries that go completely unnoticed until later. When we walked back to the hotel, she was still feeling fine, got lunch, starting to feel some pain, by dinner time, bad news bears. At least I knew I was hurt before I finished!

I suggest you try this basic and popular routine ( http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...4195843&page=1 )

Squats
    Bench Presses
    Bent-Over Rows
    Overhead Barbell Presses
    Stiff-Legged Deadlifts
    Barbell Curls
    Calf Raises
    3 days a week. 2 warmup sets each, 2 worksets each. I prefer dumbbell alternatives for this workout.

Why lift heavy? No, you won't have massive muscles instantly, especially if someone is a girl. If you're still worried, higher reps lower weight. Lifting heavy causes small tears in muscles which requires calories to fix. Muscle also passively burns calories. It's far better in the long run than simple cardio (which you can do in off days).

When you count calories, overestimate to be safe. Did you use any sauces? Spices? Are you 100% sure that ice tea has no sugar in it? Really, drink only water/tea/coffee, water helps with weight loss. Protein/carb/fat diet, 40/20/40 non workout days, 20/50/30 workout days (about that) to get those yummy carbs.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anabolicz View Post
    Agreed: Btu not in Norway.... Walking outside (8months of the year) is cold and dangerous. Hahahahahahaha, Remember the chunky ladies at the age of 50 who have desecrated their bones and stuff. Running would make them snap!
    Yeh thats fair enough, but the weather certainly isn't that extreme in the UK =p

Sure, that's pretty pointless. Keep in mind that just because you're seeing someone doing very light cardio on the treadmill doesn't mean they don't do more aggressive exercise when you're not looking. Right now, my girlfriend's recovering from an ankle injury (hurt it during a half marathon), and might walk on a treadmill at the gym after getting her weight work in. If you saw her, she'd fit that "skinny girl walking on a treadmill" look to a T.[COLOR="red"]

True, they could be doing more when I'm not looking, but following what I've seen and a recent chat with the gym manager, it would seem they're not doing it at the gym ;op And agreed some could be recovering from an injury or whatnot. But I've spoken to a few female friends over the years who have told me all they do is go to the gym and walk on the treadmill for 30 mins 3 times a week - surely it would be a whole lot cheaper in the long run to just get off the bus a stop or two earlier...