10+ Year Old Account

Review our Healers, Disc Priest

I have worked on DPS and Tanks. Now it is time to look how our healers are doing. Please look and see if there as anything to improve on. All input is greatly appreciated.

Armory:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Sanjin/simple

Logs:
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/febal972vmilwjo0/

Tell him disc has more spells than smite and holy fire.
    When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears
    When you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears
    And I held your hand through all of these years

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't help when he's in shadow spec and what looks to be shadow gear.

Generally want solace instead of mindbender; could probably use binding heal glyph since I doubt he's rolling low spirit.

Atonement healing seems awful low in the Megara attempt. Didn't look at others.
    Last edited by ramennoodleking; 2013-06-07 at 02:12 AM.

It's hard to say no to Yoo-Hoo chocolate drinks...the name literally beckons.
    Tactical Disaster - Stormrage-US
    16/16 Heroic T14
    10/13 Heroic T15

Just did a (very) quick review of the logs you provided. Only a few things really stand out to me. Mainly his Spirit Shell/Prayer of Healing and level 90 talent (Cascade, Halo, Divine Star) usage are pretty subpar. He also needs to get back into the habit of using Penance defensively (on the tank) sometimes and not just spamming it offensively (on the boss) the whole time. Those are the only things that really stood out to me.
    Last edited by fixall; 2013-06-07 at 06:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramennoodleking View Post
    could probably use binding heal glyph since I doubt he's rolling low spirit.
    I'm personally not a big fan of this glyph since it is no smart heal. It will simply heal the friendly unit closest to your target, even if it's just a pet with 100% hp.
    If it would be changed into a smart heal the glyph would be quite good though.

Deleted
    Only looking at Megaera:

- He used Power Infusion just once in the the whole encounter. Better to take Twist of Fate as you can get it up for every rampage by DPS'ing the heads.
    - His POM uptime is too low, you should be able to keep a 75% uptime on this encounter.
    - Only 4 uses of Inner Focus in a fight that lasted 7 mins. Should be at least 5.
    - 42% Evangelism uptime, yet only popped Archangel 4 times... How? This should be closer to 75%.
    - Divine Star is better than Cascade here due to the grouping on Rampages. You can get 2 Divine Stars off for each rampage.
    - 97 POH casts seems quite high as does 12 flash heals.
    - Seems to be dealing with Rapture well.

Really needs more uptime on other spells other than just smiting the hell out of the boss. As Reinforce said before, divine star is much much better that cascade on this encounter.

Deleted
    I don't really see how he can do over 20% overhealing with Spirit Shell on Megaera? You might want to check he actually uses it before/during Rampages (whatever works for your raid) rather than anywhere else, as I don't quite understand how he can "waste" spirit shells during Rampage. He also only ever uses his Barrier once each fight, when he can use it 3 times (starting from the first Rampage, using on every rampage when its off cd, at least I can in our 25 heroic (our dps is mediocre there)) assuming your dps isn't amazing meaning you'd kill the heads quicker than what the cd is.

It just seems to me he doesnt abuse simple things a disc should. He doesnt really use Archangel enough, he doesnt use Inner Focus enough, nor Power infusion. He doesn't optimize the last tier talents for each boss encounter and doesn't really seem to have a firm grasp of some boss mechanics.

When a resto druid beats a disc priest at Horridon in pure numbers something is just wrong. Only 60% of his dps is on Horridon, which is just silly considering the boost in healing he gets from abusing the extra dmg taken by Horridon. There is no reason why HE should dps the adds after the boss takes additional dmg. It's a loss in overall healing and the dps should be fine with the adds by themselves.

Your disc seems to just kinda hang around, doing the obvious easy choice spells like atonement (on wrong targets) and Shields, ignoring efficient spells and mechanics that would boost even his "go-to spells" (think Twist of faith boosting both dmg and healing).

13k+ spirit seems a bit excessive in 10 man normals where he seems to use atonement a lot.
    Last edited by mmoc94cac24f38; 2013-06-07 at 10:59 AM.

Deleted
    - Use atonement more often. It should be doing at least 70% of his healing (with divine aegis). Evangelism uptime should be over 95%.
    - Use glyphs of smite and holy fire, and twist of fate talent.
    - He has the healer meta gem, so he should use pw: shield and his level 90 talent (prefer halo or divine star) only when that procs.
    - He can ditch 5k spirit, tell him to go straight crit. And let him get his socket bonuses; if you look at the shoulder for instance, atm he is getting 640 spirit. If I were to gem that I would get 80 int, 120 spirit and 480 crit. That would be way better. Also he should get the glorious stats enchant on his chest.
    - Use dps trinkets, not that Hydra-Spawn that does 1.3% of his healing.
    - Use mindbender on cooldown. There's no way rapture should ever be returning more mana than mindbender.

Quote Originally Posted by Saeba View Post
    - Use atonement more often. It should be doing at least 70% of his healing (with divine aegis). Evangelism uptime should be over 95%.
    - Use glyphs of smite and holy fire, and twist of fate talent.
    - He has the healer meta gem, so he should use pw: shield and his level 90 talent (prefer halo or divine star) only when that procs.
    - He can ditch 5k spirit, tell him to go straight crit. And let him get his socket bonuses; if you look at the shoulder for instance, atm he is getting 640 spirit. If I were to gem that I would get 80 int, 120 spirit and 480 crit. That would be way better. Also he should get the glorious stats enchant on his chest.
    - Use dps trinkets, not that Hydra-Spawn that does 1.3% of his healing.
    - Use mindbender on cooldown. There's no way rapture should ever be returning more mana than mindbender.
    Uuuuh. What.
    The amount of healing Atonement+Divine Aegis should do depends entirely on the fight.
    As your 4 set bonus would usually amount to about 5% of your overall healing, having 70% from atonement+divine aegis means that only a fourth of his healing should come from shields and spirit shells according to you. That's just not true on alot of fights (exceptions being Jin Rokh, Horridon and Ji Kun).
    Glyph of smite only adds damage. Even then, it only adds a very, very small amount of damage (20% more to about half your smites).
    As for Twist of Fate, there's alot of fights where it's just not a usefull talent. You need a constant amount of adds that go low on a very consistent basis to get a good uptime on it, as you can't rely on people dropping that low. In alot of situations, a 2 min haste CD to combine with your POH-spirit shelling is much prefered, especially on progress.
    He should be using PW:S every 12 seconds for constant rapture upkeep. Not just when meta procs. Likewise, Halo/Divine star depends entirely on the fight. It's not a "either or"-situation.
    He can indeed ditch the spirit and get crit.
    DPS trinkets are for the DPS - especially considering his guild is only 6/12 normal. He'll want the valor trinket over the inscribed bag, but there's no point for him to take a DPS trinket over an actual DPS player, perhaps apart from the Animus one (a boss they have yet to kill).
    He doesn't want Mindbender. He wants Solace. It's more mana return, AND more healing than mindbender.

Generally, it seems like you want to go for the highest "dps output". There's no tight enrage tiimers at the level of play this priest is at, and you won't do well on heroic progress with a full-dps over healing focus, either. There's a very limited amount of fights where focusing on DPS over HPS is beneficial, and it usually involves 3 healing a 2 healer fight, or having 2 very strong healers carrying the major load of the intensive healing and basicly getting a 50/50 dps/healer split.
    Last edited by Dracodraco; 2013-06-07 at 03:28 PM.

Feels like he has way too much spirit for his ilvl and play style. Reforge to prioritize crit overall.

Also, people have been saying to use divine star on Megaera, but I like cascade (personally) for after the acid bombs in the later phases of the fight. The rampages aren't a big issue for us. Spirit Shell each one right before the head dies, get mending up, spam PoH with archangel.

Quote Originally Posted by KidCanuck View Post
    Feels like he has way too much spirit for his ilvl and play style. Reforge to prioritize crit overall.

Also, people have been saying to use divine star on Megaera, but I like cascade (personally) for after the acid bombs in the later phases of the fight. The rampages aren't a big issue for us. Spirit Shell each one right before the head dies, get mending up, spam PoH with archangel.

Chance is that the majority of people that recommends talents etc are "more experienced", and are thus killing HC Meg, and you don't touch the poison head on HC. Thus Divine star becomes the best.
    As for 10 man normal, you can still make divine star hit a decent amount of people, and you should never be so spread that PoH can't hit a full group, so Cascade seems a bit "overkill" :P.

Although crit is the way to go and you'll probably need something to the effect of four to six times the crit rating as mastery keep in mind you don't ALWAYS want it over mastery, you only want it to be up to 8% higher. More than 8% over your mastery and mastery is better less and crit is better. (this is assuming normal spell usage spread PW:S gets more from crit on average and most regular healing spells not during SS are better effected by mastery where during spirit shell its the 8% split) Keep in mind you get base mastery plus 5% raid buff but for crit you get base 5% crit buff kings/motw buffing your int giving you more crit and gear scaling with int giving you more for every ilvl upgrade to balance your stat weights on.

There's math on H2P and these forums about why that is if you want to look it up its floating around, not hard to find

There is nothing majorly wrong with the healing, but the raid dps is kinda low. Rampages last longer which equals to more healing required

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Helelos View Post
    Rampages last longer which equals to more healing required
    Rampages lasts for a set time (20sec afaik), has nothing to do with dps. All the abilities in between, however, have to do with dps as the "phase" between rampages lasts until the head is killed.

Deleted
    Are people actually dropping as low as 8k spirit when they get the Legendary Meta?

Quote Originally Posted by trizzjeeuh View Post
    Are people actually dropping as low as 8k spirit when they get the Legendary Meta?
    I'm keeping about 10k sometimes as low as 9 but I got a few upgrades that there was no sense reforging off the spirit as they already had crit on them so I'm back up to 10 again, I could see going as low as 8 though for any throughput stat other than haste.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by trizzjeeuh View Post
    I run between 8500-9500 sprit. Gems all crit and crit hybrids to get gem bonuses, crit on each piece of gear and mastery where else possible by reforging.

It's hard to say no to Yoo-Hoo chocolate drinks...the name literally beckons.
    Tactical Disaster - Stormrage-US
    16/16 Heroic T14
    10/13 Heroic T15