"Fix" our Shadow Priest's DPS?

Hey all, first of all I checked high and low and didn't see just a general "fix my dps thread" If I missed it I will gladly repost there if someone can point me in the right direction.

Allow me to check my ignorance here, I'm first and foremost a holy pally with only some dps experience as ret or on a boomkin this expansion. I'm aware things like AskMrRobot cannot be trusted for priests (according to some on these forums saying it still seems buggy for shadow) So I'm just posting what I have for data along with data I've tried to gather.

Armory Link
    Parse Link (I do have other's upon request but because of our shitty attempts thus far at heroics this is our most consistent night with the most bosses)
    AskMrRobot for Pure

So he's been telling us how terrible Spriest are at scaling with gear this tier, and frankly I have found no reason to not believe him. I've run many sims from what he's rocking now, and even using AMR to hit the 10,500 haste point (which is the changes it recommends if you select T15+PVE build for weights), and he's not getting above 130k dps on a patchwerk (once again aware this isn't a valuable comparison but it's how you can compare more than one persons dps in your raid.)

I've been fine with his performance thus far because he brings our 10 man the 5% haste buff we can't get elsewhere atm. But his and our Warlocks performances have fallen under scrutiny with the other officers, since he has 5 pieces of Tforged gear and isn't performing as well as other dps' are expected. Last tier he carried the raid for dps, this tier he's lucky to not be in last most of the time. Any help you folks can offer would be greatly appreciated!

Any other data needed? just ask me!
    Last edited by Elapsed; 2013-06-05 at 07:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Askmrrobot is terrible for gearing, the statweigths you have been testing with assumes that you have the LMG/unerring vision of lei shen, which he do not, until that point crit is superior to mastery. Tell him to start gemming for haste at his gear level, at his gear level he would gain more dps from going straight haste in both gemming and reforging.

Quote Originally Posted by Elapsed View Post
    first of all I checked high and low and didn't see just a general "fix my dps thread"
    Hmm.. what about that sticky, which is all the way in the top with the title "MoP fix my dps thread"?
    "Everything always changes. The best plan lasts until the first arrow leaves the bow." - Matrim Cauthon

Quote Originally Posted by Chrus View Post
    Hmm.. what about that sticky, which is all the way in the top with the title "MoP fix my dps thread"?
    oh dear... lol I'm sorry just woke up and really need to down this coffee I see. I will repost there. Thanks Naeny for the advice I'm playing with the stats a bit now

well from just a quick look I can see that his gems are completely wrong. He should be gemming pure haste instead of int. And why is he not using any tier items?

Our conq tier drop has been utterly terrible. And we have half the raid on that token. so it's a combo of his personal luck with rolls and our raids luck with gear

He also seems to be using From Darkness, Comes Light talent over Solace and Insanity which is a big fail

Quote Originally Posted by Teippi View Post
    He also seems to be using From Darkness, Comes Light talent over Solace and Insanity which is a big fail
    I believe that was an attempt for our heroic attempts on Jin'Rokh to help the healers. I could be wrong though. I will make sure it's fixed

Deleted
    hunter's sporebat gives the haste buff

Quote Originally Posted by Teippi View Post
    Thank you for the tip. I am still new and learning the ropes

Quote Originally Posted by Pryre View Post
    hunter's sporebat gives the haste buff
    right now our hunter is bringing the melee attack speed (which we don't have otherwise), and that's not really constructive to why the shadow priest is having problems

from a quick glance he needs to go full out haste and anywhere you cant get haste go for crit without the lei shen tnk as its mastery with this.

should be using insanity instead of darkness also as this yields a fair amount of single target dps, picking up t15 is also a gain but this depends on luck, other than that as long as he refreshes dots with active procs as much as possible he should do a fair bit of dps. Refresh dots at the start of procs and just before the end as much as possible.

Currently my SP does around 110k with 514 ilvl but this varies depending on the fight but on lei shen for example everyone should be over 100k with 512 ilvl and over.

Please.. read this: http://howtopriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3507
    Also, that website will help you out TREMENDOUSLY... if you need help with anything or you are confused by anything on this site.. you can ask me questions at Vailenx#1136 in game.

People telling you to go STRAIGHT haste are wrong as you will be missing out on important socket bonuses which are a much better DPS boost in most situations up to 525 item level where spirit becomes an abundance. However, haste should still be in every slot whether it is 80 int / 160 haste or 320 haste in prismatics/yellows.

Haste scales better than any of our secondary stats and the more the better in this tier due to how it scales with much of our abilities.

you don't ever want to gem 160 int in any socket right now, unless you're below 505 ilvl.

Also, use this for general talent/glyph choices for bosses: http://howtopriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3277

Here is my priest: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...syran/advanced

I lvoe to help people so please don't be afraid to ask questions.
    Last edited by Gindry; 2013-06-07 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gindry View Post
    Also, use this for general talent/glyph choices for bosses: http://howtopriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3277
    If I understand this correctly I should use Mind Blast and SW: Death even if I'm channeling an improved Mind Flay (via Solace&Insanity with Devouring Plague and 3 Shadow Orbs), right?

I don't play Shadow that much, so I was wondering if I should interrupt an improved MF for a MB.

Deleted
    I noticed a gain in DPS when i switched from trying to have max uptime on improved MF, to interrupting improved MF's for Mb/SW. I only interrupt it for those two and interrupting just means you are gonna have an improved MF up again in no time.

It upped my dps from about 80-85k to 90-95k on ilvl 491.

he is also upgrading his gear badly. WP > trinkets > high item lvls is prefer, no upgrade on any of his trinket is a bad no go.

but ye else what people have been telling him. Gemming "pure" haste is best, if he is having problem having to much haste ignore socket bonus with spirit, else in generel gem for bonus with int.

EDIT: his glyphs is also bad imo, he should be having dark binding, inner sanctum and mindflay like 95% of the times. A few times where its better to take something else.

sub 20% dps, you only sw:d to get a orb, do never do it twice, since it will bring the cooldown to 8 secs, and orb generator is 6 sec, the more orbs you can get the more dps. Also interrupt your MF:I if you can get a orb also. Get a weak aura string for example to be 100% sure when your SW orb generator is back up again.
    Last edited by Flashforcash; 2013-06-08 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil View Post
    If I understand this correctly I should use Mind Blast and SW: Death even if I'm channeling an improved Mind Flay (via Solace&Insanity with Devouring Plague and 3 Shadow Orbs), right?

I don't play Shadow that much, so I was wondering if I should interrupt an improved MF for a MB.
    Yes, you want to interrupt it preferably right after MF's damage ticks. Only use the first Shadow Word: Death, not the second since the GCD could be more valuable on squeezing in another MF:I or a mindblast. I'd only recommend using the second Shadow Word: Death if you dont have DP up on your target and Mindblast is on cooldown for more than a GCD.. or if you're moving, in which case any instant cast is good. (Execute Phase is naturally the more complex part of our rotation and could be difficult to master)
    Last edited by Gindry; 2013-06-08 at 05:47 PM.